Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,631 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional (20861 Views)

With This Kind Of Job Requirement; It Is Well! (pix Attached) / Access Bank And It's Outrageous Recruitment Requirement / Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by Xzhibit: 10:15am On Aug 05, 2013
dis is d typ of bill dat should be presented in d floor of our house proper delibration.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by PStacks(m): 10:16am On Aug 05, 2013
This is the major reason that is responsible for youth falsification of age by a mear #200 Age decleration at any Law court.

Nigeria must get her Acts Right.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by Temismith(f): 10:17am On Aug 05, 2013
Op, ure very correct, wat do u suggest we do now? Alot of tins r just not right in our dear country, we have good laws and rights, yet we live like dey do not exsist. undecided
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by ednut1(m): 10:18am On Aug 05, 2013
I just dey observe
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by PStacks(m): 10:22am On Aug 05, 2013
alpha conde:

So you want to float association of united jobless nigerians

It can also be the biggest political party in africa

grin grin . Biggest Party indeed. grin Reality Comedian.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by PStacks(m): 10:22am On Aug 05, 2013
alpha conde:

So you want to float association of united jobless nigerians

It can also be the biggest political party in africa

grin grin . Biggest Party indeed. grin Reality Comedian. Funny but True.

1 Like

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by 3ace(m): 10:23am On Aug 05, 2013
The worst culprits are banks.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by gbokukueba(m): 10:24am On Aug 05, 2013
bishopjoe02: It is a usual practice by recruiting organizations to specify age requirements as part of their eligibility criteria. In most vacancies the maximum age for entry level applicants is usually pegged at 27/28 and in some ridiculous circumstances 24/25. After consulting the 1999 Constitution I discovered that this practice is unconstitutional as it is a form of discrimination.
Section 42 subsection 2 states that “No citizen of Nigeria shall be subjected to any disability or deprivation merely by reason of the circumstances of his birth”. Ladies and gentlemen your date of birth and hence your age is a circumstance of birth so also is your sex and ethnicity. Employers have been getting away with this constitutional violation because nobody has challenged the practice rather people go about doctoring their ages so as to meet up with these ridiculous age requirements.

The following are the only jobs that the constitution has placed age restrictions and these jobs are mostly electoral office positions;

1) President ; must be 40 years old...section 131 subsection 2b
2) Vice president; same as that of the president... section 142 subsection 2
3) Senator; must be 35 years old...section 65 subsection 1a
4) House of representative; must be 30 years old... section 65 subsection 1b
5) Governor ; must be 35 years old...section 177 subsection 1b
6) &nbspeputy Governor; ; same as that of the Governor... section 187 subsection 2
7) Members of the house of assembly; must be 30 years old... section 106 subsection 1b

Other jobs include state commissioners and special advisers to governors (which have the same requirements as those of members of the house of assemble) and ministers and special advisers to the president of the federation (which have the same requirements as those of the House of Representatives).

Ladies and gentlemen, taking into account our erratic educational system with its numerous strikes, most students especially those in federal and state higher institutions end up graduating in their mid twenties and when you then factor in the one year NYSC and the waiting period of prospecting for jobs (which could range from months to years) you will notice that a significant number of graduates would have exceeded the maximum age limits placed by prospective employers.

Dear naija jobbers, the wind of change is blowing and we should not just sit and watch our rights been trampled upon and I think now is the time to act. In developed countries you will be prosecuted if you dare place age requirements for any job vacancy.

I do not want to lie about my age because it is not a crime and I shouldn’t be made to suffer for it.

God bless you all.

http://bishopjoe..com/2013/08/age-requirement-is-unconstitutional.html

Go and open your own compnay and take a 50 year old man as management trainee all in the guise of obeying the law and besides there is no such law against age barrier in Nigeria. You simply quoting out of context.

1 Like

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:26am On Aug 05, 2013
The Truth is a lot of us made big mistakes early in Life for which we are paying the consequences.

The period in your life when you make the most of it is between 20-30 years old, after that you finish the race between 35-50 years old, from that point you prepare for retirement and God-willing, you party-hard, go on holidays and prepare your will because God can be a party-pooper at that age. grin grin

Most (Majorly Most) people play with their lives at a time when they should be learning, growing and making the best of their time preparing for the future. you can see it in our youths today. making mistakes that will be costly in the near future, they will come to nairaland then and complain

3 Likes

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by mrking3(m): 10:28am On Aug 05, 2013
We can start by signing a Petition!! Honestly! This madness must stop!! Due to age factors! Jobs like KPMG, PWC, GTB, UAC, ACESS bank, UBA, Zenith, PZ, CADBURYand other firms has eluded me! Nothing can be as horrible as meeting †ђξ full requirements only to be restricted by AGE!! Pls I'm ready to put in M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ all for this! What ever it takes! I will be a frontliner of †ђξ protest!!! Even though I finnally got a Job now! That doesn't mean I should remain silent on this! Pls! We need to be united to achieve this! Mods! Pls take this to †ђξ FRONT PAGE!!

3 Likes

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by MrAboki: 10:28am On Aug 05, 2013
I stopped putting my age, State of origin, LGA and marital status on my resume a long time ago.

I noticed that no company has called me for an interview since I started doing this.

Oneday, Shell Pet. Dev. Co. (SPDC) HR calls me up on my phone and says 'We have been looking at your resume and wanted to ask you a few more questions. Whats your date of birth?!'.. Now I laugh and answer her, and she tells me 'Next time please include that on your resume'..

So yes!! In Nigeria, age does matter to employers for some weird reason.

1 Like

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by obyrich(m): 10:30am On Aug 05, 2013
3ace: The worst culprits are banks.
They hire you at 24 so they can fire you b4 you turn 30. Nigeria is a lawless jungle.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by PStacks(m): 10:32am On Aug 05, 2013
moreeni: Yes o, but no trouble aluta anything. How do we call attention of the power that be into it so they could revisit or emphasize it? Just the other day, I was in an interview and the interviewer practically turned her nose up for us the 'above age limit' interviewees. She relegated us to marketing and the younguns to C&T. Imagine, I only turned thirty in may and they are making it seem like the retirement age. God help us.

Who said you too should be 30, Grand papa like you grin

1 Like

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by xykms101: 10:35am On Aug 05, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt: The Truth is a lot of us made big mistakes early in Life for which we are paying the consequences.

The period in your life when you make the most of it is between 20-30 years old, after that you finish the race between 35-50 years old, from that point you prepare for retirement and God-willing, you party-hard, go on holidays and prepare your will because God can be a party-pooper at that age. grin grin

Most (Majorly Most) people play with their lives at a time when they should be learning, growing and making the best of their time preparing for the future. you can see it in our youths today. making mistakes that will be costly in the near future, they will come to nairaland then and complain
Stop spewing rubbish dude, no matter how you prepared yourself for the future in nigeria and you stil have no ladder, believe me there's no how you will get to the top.

Or are you telling me that most of our jobless graduates also toyed with their future?

....Democracy is the biggest mistake nigerians ever condoned.

Let's all stand for disintegration or the return of the military regime, if we can get this done believe me, everybody will definately get on top of his/her situation.

3 Likes

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by oluamid(m): 10:42am On Aug 05, 2013
Okija_juju: Lol.. Funny thread grin

Bro, I wish like you, I can also call the thread funny. Alas, I can't cos age restriction in job application is a very real thing. I think its even part of the reason for unemployment.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by PStacks(m): 10:43am On Aug 05, 2013
otaiwo: I think the constitution stipulates minimum age limits and not maximum as claimed by the person initiating this topic. I stand to be corrected though

Ok. Let's even say the constitution says minimum age limit, does the constitution provides for incessant ASUU strike?

Now ASUU is on strike, who pays for the 5 weeks wasted in these students life. Time is of the essence, when ASUU strikes, JAMB takes 2 years from you and you end up graduating 27 and still compulsorily have to give 1 year to NYSC, who is to blame for that. Or are they expecting my age to stand still while ASUU is on strike. Time waits for no one you know.

I can't suffer from the Country's in-efficiency and still get discriminated against by an employer on age grounds when my head is bubbling with ideas. This is a real serious issue that must be looked into. Infact the country must be looked into.

Nigeria and her plenty never ending problems

8 Likes

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by MrAboki: 10:44am On Aug 05, 2013
xykms101: Stop spewing rubbish dude, no matter how you prepared yourself for the future in nigeria and you stil have no ladder, believe me there's no how you will get to the top.

Or are you telling me that most of our jobless graduates also toyed with their future?

You have a poor mentality so you can never surpass your present status..

And being a graduate does not necessarily make you employable.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by xykms101: 10:49am On Aug 05, 2013
Mr Aboki:

You have a poor mentality so you can never surpass your present status..

And being a graduate does not necessarily make you employable.

And what exactly are you insinuating?

...What do you want nigerian youths to do? ...they should stop thinking about going to school or what?

No one is to blame for this but our present government.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by DICKtator: 10:51am On Aug 05, 2013
bishopjoe02: It is a usual practice by recruiting organizations to specify age requirements as part of their eligibility criteria. In most vacancies the maximum age for entry level applicants is usually pegged at 27/28 and in some ridiculous circumstances 24/25. After consulting the 1999 Constitution I discovered that this practice is unconstitutional as it is a form of discrimination.
Section 42 subsection 2 states that “No citizen of Nigeria shall be subjected to any disability or deprivation merely by reason of the circumstances of his birth”. Ladies and gentlemen your date of birth and hence your age is a circumstance of birth so also is your sex and ethnicity. Employers have been getting away with this constitutional violation because nobody has challenged the practice rather people go about doctoring their ages so as to meet up with these ridiculous age requirements.

The following are the only jobs that the constitution has placed age restrictions and these jobs are mostly electoral office positions;
1) President ; must be 40 years old...section 131 subsection 2b
2) Vice president; same as that of the president... section 142 subsection 2
3) Senator; must be 35 years old...section 65 subsection 1a
4) House of representative; must be 30 years old... section 65 subsection 1b
5) Governor ; must be 35 years old...section 177 subsection 1b
6) &nbspeputy Governor; ; same as that of the Governor... section 187 subsection 2
7) Members of the house of assembly; must be 30 years old... section 106 subsection 1b

Other jobs include state commissioners and special advisers to governors (which have the same requirements as those of members of the house of assemble) and ministers and special advisers to the president of the federation (which have the same requirements as those of the House of Representatives).

Ladies and gentlemen, taking into account our erratic educational system with its numerous strikes, most students especially those in federal and state higher institutions end up graduating in their mid twenties and when you then factor in the one year NYSC and the waiting period of prospecting for jobs (which could range from months to years) you will notice that a significant number of graduates would have exceeded the maximum age limits placed by prospective employers.

Dear naija jobbers, the wind of change is blowing and we should not just sit and watch our rights been trampled upon and I think now is the time to act. In developed countries you will be prosecuted if you dare place age requirements for any job vacancy.

I do not want to lie about my age because it is not a crime and I shouldn’t be made to suffer for it.

God bless you all.

http://bishopjoe..com/2013/08/age-requirement-is-unconstitutional.html

Quoting constitution.

You are speaking grammar!!!!!!

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by BetaThings: 10:51am On Aug 05, 2013
No use arguing this matter if human beings will interview you
If government says no age limit, then people will still screen out older people at interviews
Afterall there is no requirement to disclose score sheet
Without putting age, it can be guessed from some dates on the CV
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:53am On Aug 05, 2013
xykms101: Stop spewing rubbish dude, no matter how you prepared yourself for the future in nigeria and you stil have no ladder, believe me there's no how you will get to the top.

Let's all stand for disintegration or the return of the military regime, if we can get this done believe me, everybody will definately get on top of his/her situation.

You truly do not understand the dynamics of economy and progression in Life, did 2Face every make graduate school, did MI not clean windshield in traffic? use your 4 years in the University to build a ladder abi u nor read for school.. ask the jobless graduates to write a common-entrance exam meant for secondary School applicants and you will understand why you reason the way you just did.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by xykms101: 10:58am On Aug 05, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt:

You truly do not understand the dynamics of economy and progression in Life, did 2Face every make graduate school, did MI not clean windshield in traffic? ask the jobless graduates to write a common-entrance exam meant for secondary School applicants and you will understand why you reason the way you just did.
Believe me,Nigeria and some african countries are the countries where people like 2face, Mi and so many drug dealing artists would be used as an example of success.

Besides did 2face and the likes just entered into the limelight without the help of some notable producers?
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by kpozite(m): 11:01am On Aug 05, 2013
BrutusOj: Hmmmm,ur on point.But,if u can't beat them,Join them in d age cheat.I have 3 difrent birth certificates.One for bank jobs,One for uniform jobs(Military n paramilitary) and the other for civil service jobs.Thanks to N.E.C.O for not exposing ma real age

And you have not gotten a job SMH
Try telling the truth for a change who knows.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:01am On Aug 05, 2013
xykms101: Believe me,Nigeria and some african countries are the countries where people like 2face, Mi and so many drug dealing artists would used as an example of success.

The Ends Justify the Means that is the reality. would a graduate who is not successful in Nigeria be successful in far more developed countries where they demand Knowledge Matches Practical performance?
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by MrAboki: 11:03am On Aug 05, 2013
xykms101: And what exactly are you insinuating?

...What do you want nigerian youths to do? ...they should stop thinking about going to school or what?

No one is to blame for this but our present government.

Erm... I'm sorry, But what should the government do?!

How should the government create jobs for graduates of;

Animal Husbandry

Adult and community education

Food and Nutrition.

Political science

e.t.c

IF YOU WERE THE PRESIDENT, HOW WOULD YOU CREATE JOBS FOR ALL GRADUATES?
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by xykms101: 11:05am On Aug 05, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt:

The Ends Justify the Means that is the reality. would a graduate who is not successful in Nigeria be successful in far more developed countries where they demand Knowledge Matches Practical performance?
Are you saying that all nigerian jobless graduates are dumbed?
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by pappilo(m): 11:07am On Aug 05, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt: There are valid reasons for placing limits on job eligibility based on AGE. it is mostly a HR decision but there are some guiding principles

1: In a competitive work-place, you expect the young employees to aspire to positions at the Top-Level. It is a career incentive and a people-centric HR strategy. This way you maximize your human capital to an age range where the employee can dis-engaged and enter similar high-placed positions in other endeavors. You cannot have that much of a career plan at Age 30-40 applying for an entry-level job.

2: In most organizations (especially Financial Institutions), you are a Manager after 8-10 years work experience .. that is like 25-35 years of age. You cannot have a 35-40 year old man working under you and expect to drive him as you do other in-experienced hands under you. He may flare-up and start asking you how old you are, or can't you at least respect his grey hairs. such terse workplace situations are to be avoided. It is sad, but the economy does not favor older persons in place of younger ones especially when work demands you look up to one young brash manager.

3: Health Insurance is also a factor, Young means less likely to have ailments that affect us as we get older say from 30+ and above. It is a period where you can still instill some healthy habits and pay less on BUPA and other Health insurance schemes.

This has to be one of the dumbest posts I have seen on here in a long time. Of course every organisation has a valid reason for discriminatory practises but that doesnt make it okay/legal. A company presenting itself as a provider of services to affluent people in an expensive part of Lagos has a valid reason for not employing someone with large Ibadan tribal facial marks as its spokesperson or receptionist even if they meet all the required employment criteria. Should this be allowed by law? Hell NO!

2 Likes

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by xykms101: 11:10am On Aug 05, 2013
Mr Aboki:

Erm... I'm sorry, But what should the government do?!

How should the government create jobs for graduates of;

Animal Husbandry

Adult and community education

Food and Nutrition.

Political science

e.t.c

IF YOU WERE THE PRESIDENT, HOW WOULD YOU CREATE JOBS FOR ALL GRADUATES?
Those courses are hot cake in well organized countries.

...Besides we stil have engineers, accountants stil counting in the labour market, what do you have to say to this?

...I don't know where you're driving to when govt had taken the blame
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:10am On Aug 05, 2013
pappilo:

This has to be one of the dumbest posts I have seen on here in a long time. Of course every organisation has a valid reason for discriminatory practises but that doesnt make it okay/legal. A company presenting itself as a provider of services to affluent people in an expensive part of Lagos has a valid reason for not employing someone with large Ibadan tribal facial marks as its spokesperson or receptionist even if they meet all the required employment criteria. Should this be allowed by law? Hell NO!

Any sane person would have read that post and clearly noted that i stated clearly that is it mostly a HR decision (not Government) and there are guiding principles. but seeing that you are not as literate as you make out. only a dim mistake for a turd like you will take it otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by Odunharry(m): 11:11am On Aug 05, 2013
9ja ehn....rule of law dy function sef?
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:12am On Aug 05, 2013
xykms101: Are you saying that nigerian jobless graduates are dumbed?

Clearly you are an extremist, you are either extremely dumb or extremely smart.. going by the WAEC and NECO scores in the recent past, you can only assume the worst for our graduates. go figure

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

6 Things To Do Before Leaving Your Job / The Biggest Mistakes 20-something Job Seekers Make - Forbes / 100 Job Seekers March To Alausa In Protest Of No Job (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.