Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,054 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional (20864 Views)

With This Kind Of Job Requirement; It Is Well! (pix Attached) / Access Bank And It's Outrageous Recruitment Requirement / Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by pappilo(m): 11:18am On Aug 05, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt:

Any sane person would have read that post and clearly noted that i stated clearly that is it mostly a HR decision (not Government) and there are guiding principles. but seeing that you are not as literate as you make out. only a dim mistake for a turd like you will take it otherwise.

You think you are clever but you are extremely dim. HR decision or not, it is illegal! If a slowpoke like you had any authority, black people would still be sitting at the back of the bus! Puta!

4 Likes

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by xykms101: 11:18am On Aug 05, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt:

Clearly you are an extremist, you are either extremely dumb or extremely smart.. going by the WAEC and NECO scores in the recent past, you can only assume the worst for our graduates. go figure
WAEC results from public secondary schls where they hardly have competent teachers, which is the duty of govt to retire the old skool teachers and employ the young and smart ones.

Go to private schools where standard teachers are ruling and see their WAEC results.

2 Likes

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by stolaonipekun: 11:25am On Aug 05, 2013
Nigerian as a lot of problem, is age should be a barier if not fullishness
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by phillip001(m): 11:25am On Aug 05, 2013
WHO CARES SAN ...........APPLICANT OF ......

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by stolaonipekun: 11:26am On Aug 05, 2013
God will help us
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by r2beez(m): 11:32am On Aug 05, 2013
Nawa o. May God help us[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by MrAboki: 11:32am On Aug 05, 2013
xykms101: Those courses are hot cake in well organized countries.

...Besides we stil have engineers, accountants stil counting in the labour market, what do you have to say to this?

...I don't know where you're driving to when govt had taken the blame

Okay!! I agree, we are not a 'well organized country'. And we have mant 'engineers and co' without jobs..

Now, How would you fix the job situation in Nigeria in you became president.. How would you employ all Nigerians?!

1 Like

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by eagleeye2: 11:39am On Aug 05, 2013
ow11: Well NNPC, a government agency is guilty of this crime and that says a lot if you intend to sue in a Nigerian court. However, other private firms like KPMG have run foul of this law and suing them abroad can cause a change.

However, I would be surprised if this will do much because all the company can do is open a recruitment portal, ask all applicants to apply there and simply delete all applications with undesired birth dates. To prove you were discriminated based on age in a court of law is difficult at graduate entry except there is insider help which is also unlikely.

Therefore, whilst I think this is a good move, I also feel it's effect would be pointless.
Good analysis, but the senate and House of Rep can also pass it into law that no one needs to state his or her date of birth when applying for a position in any company or parastatal. Doing so will mean running foul of the law.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by MrAboki: 11:44am On Aug 05, 2013
eagle,eye:

Good analysis, but the senate and House of Rep can also pass it into law that no one needs to state his or her date of birth when applying for a position in any company or parastatal. Doing so will mean running foul of the law.

Any thing that can be used against you that has no bearing on your ability to do the job should not be on your resume. Examples are;

1. Age

2, State of Origin/LGA

3. Religion.

4. Marital Status

5. Color, race, ethinicity or tribe.

6. Picture.

These things you will never find on my resume.

1 Like

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by chukwuinya: 11:45am On Aug 05, 2013
are we talking about d constitutionality of age limit,if i may ask is there anything done in this country that is within d dictate of our so called constitution?sorry to say this but we must start somewhere probably from here
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by xykms101: 11:49am On Aug 05, 2013
Mr Aboki:

Okay!! I agree, we are not a 'well organized country'. And we have mant 'engineers and co' without jobs..

Now, How would you fix the job situation in Nigeria in you became president.. How would you employ all Nigerians?!
In the 60s till early 90s, unemployment was not pronounced because the government then were proactively providing for graduates despite their looting and autocracy. But now things have changed.

...Increase in population of Nigerians is one of the challenges facing the labour market which the government on its part failed to provide full employment to its citizenry.

...No 2 is the increasing in government spending's and inflation have prevented political and economic development in the country.

...Lastly the level of corruption in this country is unimaginable.

If all these can be tackled believe me things will turn around for good.

1 Like

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:51am On Aug 05, 2013
pappilo:

You think you are clever but you are extremely dim. HR decision or not, it is illegal! If a slowpoke like you had any authority, black people would still be sitting at the back of the bus! Puta!

Reality Check, Blacks are sitting at the back of the Bus and it has nothing to do with legality or illegality or any System.
As an individual, you have sole responsibility to the decisions you make in life, if the situation you find yourself in is not conducive and you cannot progress because of that, improve yourself or find alternatives, you won't be the first unemployed graduate who does not have a job. empower yourself, become employable or employ yourself rather than making noise about what is legal or not. there are many miscreants hawking stuff for a living. you don't see them complaining. Get real there are few jobs and thousands of UNEMPLOYABLE graduates, the employable ones who are out of a job are looking for what to do not complaining on nairaland.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by MrAboki: 11:53am On Aug 05, 2013
xykms101: In the 60s till early 90s, unemployment was not pronounced because the government then were proactively providing for graduates despite their looting autocratic power. But now things have changed.

...No 1 problem is the increase in population of Nigerians is one of the challenges facing the labour market which the government on its part failed to provide full employment to its citizenry.

...No 2 is the increasing in government spending's and inflation have prevented political and economic development in the country.

...Lastly the level of corruption in this country is unimaginable.

Still no answer.

Increase in population size = Increase in demand for everything = Increase in expenditure. So except you intend to start killing off Nigerians to reduce the population size, you are yet to tell us all how you would employ all the graduates in Nigeria today.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:53am On Aug 05, 2013
xykms101: WAEC results from public secondary schls where they hardly have competent teachers, which is the duty of govt to retire the old skool teachers and employ the young and smart ones.

Go to private schools where standard teachers are ruling and see their WAEC results.

Compare Government Schools and Private Schools, guess which one has the most students in the system and contribute to the unemployment index in Nigeria.. please guess...
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by xykms101: 11:58am On Aug 05, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt:

Compare Government Schools and Private Schools, guess which one has the most students in the system and contribute to the unemployment index in Nigeria.. please guess...
Private ofcourse, my friend govt schools are gradually fading out as a result of poor level of education given to students except you reside in a remote area where one can hardly locate private schools.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by eagleeye2: 12:01pm On Aug 05, 2013
xykms101: WAEC results from public secondary schls where they hardly have competent teachers, which is the duty of govt to retire the old skool teachers and employ the young and smart ones.

This assumption is a fallacy.
Private school students have better results compared to Govt school students because Proprietors of Private schools are ready to dig hand into their pockets and settle exam supervisors, unlike govt school where the principal has only his or her salary and a very small allowance from the govt to run the school.
Infact in every 100 private schools, more than 95% are doing what I just stated above, these excludes the Catholic missionary schools and other Schools run by Churches...(By churches I mean Anglican, Presbyterian, Assemblies of God Churches....not these come as you are churches).

4 Likes

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by Nokio1: 12:14pm On Aug 05, 2013
My mother knows that am 30 yrs old,my friends think i 29 ,my cv says am 28,actually i feel like am 22! Capishe..
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by yame014: 12:17pm On Aug 05, 2013
After gaining admission into a federal or state sch. to study a 5yr course at the age of 18...u spend d normal 5yr plus 1yr of strike + X yrs of extra coupled with the fact that most of ur lecturers r sadist (well, i dont blame them, how much r students paying as tuition fees?)...u end up graduating at 27 plus d one yr compulsory Nysc makes u 28...yet these companies r bent on employing graduates btw d ages of 22-25...they should jus tell us d jobs r for rich kids frm private schs...smh for employers of labour
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by walcolm(m): 12:24pm On Aug 05, 2013
bishopjoe02: It is a usual practice by recruiting organizations to specify age requirements as part of their eligibility criteria. In most vacancies the maximum age for entry level applicants is usually pegged at 27/28 and in some ridiculous circumstances 24/25. After consulting the 1999 Constitution I discovered that this practice is unconstitutional as it is a form of discrimination.
Section 42 subsection 2 states that “No citizen of Nigeria shall be subjected to any disability or deprivation merely by reason of the circumstances of his birth”. Ladies and gentlemen your date of birth and hence your age is a circumstance of birth so also is your sex and ethnicity. Employers have been getting away with this constitutional violation because nobody has challenged the practice rather people go about doctoring their ages so as to meet up with these ridiculous age requirements.

The following are the only jobs that the constitution has placed age restrictions and these jobs are mostly electoral office positions;
1) President ; must be 40 years old...section 131 subsection 2b
2) Vice president; same as that of the president... section 142 subsection 2
3) Senator; must be 35 years old...section 65 subsection 1a
4) House of representative; must be 30 years old... section 65 subsection 1b
5) Governor ; must be 35 years old...section 177 subsection 1b
6) &nbspeputy Governor; ; same as that of the Governor... section 187 subsection 2
7) Members of the house of assembly; must be 30 years old... section 106 subsection 1b

Other jobs include state commissioners and special advisers to governors (which have the same requirements as those of members of the house of assemble) and ministers and special advisers to the president of the federation (which have the same requirements as those of the House of Representatives).

Bayelsa governor has then violated the constitution by appointing the 2013 Miss Nigeria pageant winner as a special adviser

3 Likes

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:33pm On Aug 05, 2013
For Graduates looking for Jobs and are employable please visit https://www.nairaland.com/jobs
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by Biggysmalls919(m): 12:36pm On Aug 05, 2013
Nigeria is one of the worst places to live like it or not. People using fake ages just to get employed. The country has no records of its citizens at birth in a storage thats why u have all these nonsense. There is no place in nigeria u type someones name and then the date and place of birth pops up and yet everyone claims to be citizens.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by ow11(m): 12:38pm On Aug 05, 2013
eagle,eye:

Will work in the short term but since companies will want to employ much younger staff for a lot of reasons at graduate entry, the net effect would be marginal. The companies would need birth dates for insurance reasons.

Isn't it better to get dropped off at the early stages than actually pass all interviews and fail a medical?
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 05, 2013
mumu people. blockheads abeg go and create jobs, there ain't enough to go round.

1 Like

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by xykms101: 12:49pm On Aug 05, 2013
eagle,eye:

This assumption is a fallacy.
Private school students have better results compared to Govt school students because Proprietors of Private schools are ready to dig hand into their pockets and settle exam supervisors, unlike govt school where the principal has only his or her salary and a very small allowance from the govt to run the school.
Infact in every 100 private schools, more than 95% are doing what I just stated above, these excludes the Catholic missionary schools and other Schools run by Churches...(By churches I mean Anglican, Presbyterian, Assemblies of God Churches....not these come as you are churches).
Are you comparing private schl with public schls where teachers are busy using students for domestic and farm work when they are suppose to be in the class studying.

Aside the fact that few *not all* of these private schls take good care of waec supervisors yet there are stil intelligent students in all these private schls.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by eagleeye2: 1:07pm On Aug 05, 2013
xykms101: Are you comparing private schl with public schls where teachers are busy using students for domestic and farm work when they are suppose to be in the class studying.

Aside the fact that few *not all* of these private schls take good care of waec supervisors yet there are stil intelligent students in all these private schls.
my dear, you maybe right that Govt school teachers lazy around when they are supposed to be working. But the so called private schools is just someone else' business venture.
Most of the students who are really intelligent in these private schools are not intelligent because of what their teachers are doing. No. They are often naturally intelligent students or those their parents are willing to pay for extra classes outside what they are being taught.
Ministry of Education is my sector and I am a trained teacher. I have actually taught in a private school as a part time teacher, and I can tell you first hand that most qualified teachers who have the zeal to teach don't end up in these private schools littered everywhere. First, the pay is very small compared to the input a qualified teacher will be making... Secondly, the societal idea of "the end justifies the means" makes it even worse for teachers to really do their best in coaching their students, because at the end of the day.....proprietors will dole out cash to external supervisors and the children willbe given free hands to write the exams.
If you want to know where you can groom children to exhibit their intellectual prowess, look the way of missionary schools and Federal Govt Schools (Untiy Schools).
It is only a small percentage of private schools that are willing to keep really good and qualified teachers and pay them at least a living wage. And those schools charge high for the students tuition....

2 Likes

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by zetel95(m): 1:08pm On Aug 05, 2013
Aromas:

Yes broda REVOLUTION. But d quetion here is dat who's gonna lead
You of course!!! cool
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by xykms101: 1:15pm On Aug 05, 2013
eagle,eye:

my dear, you maybe right that Govt school teachers lazy around when they are supposed to be working. But the so called private schools is just someone else' business venture.
Most of the students who are really intelligent in these private schools are not intelligent because of what their teachers are doing. No. They are often naturally intelligent students or those their parents are willing to pay for extra classes outside what they are being taught.
Ministry of Education is my sector and I am a trained teacher. I have actually taught in a private school as a part time teacher, and I can tell you first hand that most qualified teachers who have the zeal to teach don't end up in these private schools littered everywhere. First, the pay is very small compared to the input a qualified teacher will be making... Secondly, the societal idea of "the end justifies the means" makes it even worse for teachers to really do their best in coaching their students, because at the end of the day.....proprietors will dole out cash to external supervisors and the children willbe given free hands to write the exams.
If you want to know where you can groom children to exhibit their intellectual prowess, look the way of missionary schools and Federal Govt Schools (Untiy Schools).
It is only a small percentage of private schools that are willing to keep really good and qualified teachers and pay them at least a living wage. And those schools charge high for the students tuition....
I think we are saying the same thing here. But seriously govt has to replace those weakened brains in the public schls with competent graduates. Those old skools are not productive in anyway.
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by ogundeleai(m): 1:18pm On Aug 05, 2013
God bless u for this writeup and worst still because of d discrimination we are employing mediocres thereby making our productivity to b at low web.
God help us out in this nation
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by radah(m): 1:19pm On Aug 05, 2013
That's why we have representatives and senators who will sit and discuss matter and see ways of ensuring that such discrimination should be stopped and find a way of documenting it in the constitution especially now that constitutional review is there subject in the house of assembly, other wise we go just dey make noise about the matter
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by ogaju007(m): 1:19pm On Aug 05, 2013
If a government can discriminate as listed below, the the same government cannot dictate to companies with matters regarding age discrimination.1) President ; must be 40 years old...section 131 subsection 2b
2) Vice president; same as that of the president... section 142 subsection 2
3) Senator; must be 35 years old...section 65 subsection 1a
4) House of representative; must be 30 years old... section 65 subsection 1b
5) Governor ; must be 35 years old...section 177 subsection 1b
6) &nbspeputy Governor; ; same as that of the Governor... section 187 subsection 2
7) Members of the house of assembly; must be 30 years old... section 106 subsection 1b

Just My Opinion
Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 05, 2013
pappilo:

This has to be one of the dumbest posts I have seen on here in a long time. Of course every organisation has a valid reason for discriminatory practises but that doesnt make it okay/legal. A company presenting itself as a provider of services to affluent people in an expensive part of Lagos has a valid reason for not employing someone with large Ibadan tribal facial marks as its spokesperson or receptionist even if they meet all the required employment criteria. Should this be allowed by law? Hell NO!
I agree that it is an HR decision but the government can also enact a law against equality and workplace discrimination. The UK's employment law has a provision for this, if you feel you have been discriminated against in anyway you have the right to sue the organisation. Wish we could have something like that in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Age Requirement Is Unconstitutional by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 05, 2013
Mr Aboki:

Any thing that can be used against you that has no bearing on your ability to do the job should not be on your resume. Examples are;

1. Age

2, State of Origin/LGA

3. Religion.

4. Marital Status

5. Color, race, ethinicity or tribe.

6. Picture.

These things you will never find on my resume.
HR in the UK don't like seeing those things you listed. They would ask you if you are trying to get them in trouble. They are scared of being sued.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

6 Things To Do Before Leaving Your Job / The Biggest Mistakes 20-something Job Seekers Make - Forbes / 100 Job Seekers March To Alausa In Protest Of No Job (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.