Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,924 members, 7,863,258 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 01:56 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (156) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6033788 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (2854) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:37pm On May 03, 2015
Henry120:
Nigerian Airforce ISTAR
i found FLIR video from this aircraft to be of very poor clarity.what is the make of that FLIR POD ?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:08pm On May 03, 2015
sudan airforce su-24 jet

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:26pm On May 03, 2015
africaken:
i found FLIR video from this aircraft to be of very poor clarity.what is the make of that FLIR POD ?

This is quite surprising. This is the first criticism of this aircraft i'm reading.

It uses a H.D star safire FLIR system. I think it's picture quality is very clear.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:04pm On May 03, 2015
Henry120:

This is quite surprising. This is the first criticism of this aircraft i'm reading.

It uses a H.D star safire FLIR system. I think it's picture quality is very clear.

i dont think it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWrrXvO8jsw
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by asorockweb: 6:28pm On May 03, 2015
patches689:

Has it ever occured to you that you can hit normal targets... but from complete safety?

If you have 30km range arty, you place your guns maybe 15km behind the front and they fire on targets called out by spotters/drones/recon.

But, with 70 km arty you can place your guns 55km behind your lines, in complete safety, and closer to your logistical hubs... where they hit the same targets as normal guns.

It also allows you to strike deeper behind enemy lines, at command posts, bottle-necks (bridges/cross-roads) which you would otherwise not be able to hit - here you are firing at grid refrences or GPS co-ords, independent of the needs of front line spotters. This is saturation fire.

Long range guns also allow you the ability of TOT - whereby one gun can land 3-4 shells on the same target at the same time. Adding a massive shock effect to their gunnery. (Meaning you can get the fire-power of four batterys out of one single battery)

Proof is in the pudding, the PzH2000 and Ceasar are all pushing the envelope when it comes to long range artillery.

Finally, you are unable to tell the difference between different doctrinal uses of artillery, NATO is focusing on regimental artillery at the moment, long range guns that South Africa has developed are more applicable at the Battle-Group/Division or Corps Level which is more relevant to maneuver warfare as apposed to NATO's current focus on Nodal warfare.

Very instructive, well done.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 03, 2015
asorockweb:

Very instructive, well done.
why is it that in denel website its say it can fire at sea level for only 42.5 KM http://www.denellandsystems.co.za/products/artillery
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:02pm On May 03, 2015
africaken:

i dont think it is

The error could be from the T.V channel that broadcasted this video. It isn't a direct feed. There are clearer versions of this video on youtube.

It looks pretty clear to me.

Try the BBC video on the operation in baga, then compare.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by asorockweb: 7:07pm On May 03, 2015
africaken:

i dont think it is

That's not a direct feed. You are looking at a video of a video that was then uploaded to YouTube (maybe at low resolution to save bandwidth)
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by asorockweb: 7:09pm On May 03, 2015
Special Service Group: SSG

Is the SSG the Nigerian Army equivalent of the SAS?

Maybe the best direct comparison is the NN SBS.

What do we know about these guys?

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 03, 2015
asorockweb:

That's not a direct feed. You are looking at a video of a video that was then uploaded to YouTube (maybe at low resolution to save bandwidth)
i also saw the BBC news report ,still the same clarity .i believe this is a EO pod which is monochrome with no IR and was basically meant for anti-surface warfare surveillance monitoring e.g small watercraft and ships
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ocelot2006(m): 8:42pm On May 03, 2015
Faculty14:
I tink the berly have started arriving and are being distributed to sf forces

Finally, the Beryl rifle.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 03, 2015

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:21pm On May 03, 2015
africaken:
why is it that in denel website its say it can fire at sea level for only 42.5 KM http://www.denellandsystems.co.za/products/artillery
That's the max range using base bleed ammunition, it would have a range of over 70km using V-LAP ammunition.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:59pm On May 03, 2015
jln115:

That's the max range using base bleed ammunition, it would have a range of over 70km using V-LAP ammunition.
this Yugoslavia shells ranges 56 km http://www.yugoimport.com/en/proizvodi/155-mm-he-erfb-rabb-very-long-range-artillery-projectile-vlap-rocket-assistancebase-bleed
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:01am On May 04, 2015
asorockweb:
Special Service Group: SSG

Is the SSG the Nigerian Army equivalent of the SAS?

Maybe the best direct comparison is the NN SBS.

What do we know about these guys?

They are just a Special Counter-terror unit, not an actual Special forces unit.

I don't think the Army currently has a unit that is as well versed as the Navy SBS.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by asorockweb: 4:11am On May 04, 2015
This is the full length (as released by the NAF) version of the Sambisa forest surveillance video

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3hWAtflCP2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by asorockweb: 4:12am On May 04, 2015
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3hWAtflCP2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faculty14(m): 6:13am On May 04, 2015
ocelot2006:

Finally, the Beryl rifle.
cheesy cheesy cheers mate!!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 7:00am On May 04, 2015
africaken:
this Yugoslavia shells ranges 56 km http://www.yugoimport.com/en/proizvodi/155-mm-he-erfb-rabb-very-long-range-artillery-projectile-vlap-rocket-assistancebase-bleed
The G6-52L with VLAP shells has maximum range of 67km.

But Denel has tested it to a range of 73km.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:47am On May 04, 2015
MikeCZAR:
The G6-52L with VLAP shells has maximum range of 67km.

But Denel has tested it to a range of 73km.
read the following denel webpage especially about the 155mm artillery http://www.rheinmetalldeneldefenceday2015.co.za/DemoFiringPlan.aspx
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:12am On May 04, 2015
asorockweb:
both links are not working
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 8:37am On May 04, 2015
africaken:
read the following denel webpage especially about the 155mm artillery http://www.rheinmetalldeneldefenceday2015.co.za/DemoFiringPlan.aspx
Yes.

Using the T5-52 truck mounted howitzer and M777 towed howitzer. The G6-52L out ranges all these systems.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:44am On May 04, 2015
Us secretary of state arrives in Kenya for a short visit ahead of Obama

(If there are moments I hate being a 3rd world country, this would be one of them- the show of might!!)

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 04, 2015
africaken:
Yes they have a Max rang of 56 km with VLAP ammunition,G6-52 has a range over 70 km with VLAP.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 12:46pm On May 04, 2015
denisfidha:
Us secretary of state arrives in Kenya for a short visit ahead of Obama

(If there are moments I hate being a 3rd world country, this would be one of them- the show of might!!)
there is nothing bad in an ad hoc joint vip protection plan. But the visitor shouldnt be allowed to hold her host nation's security aparatus to ransom no matter how advance or vast they are. So finally obama chose to come home. Y'all should give him a victory day parade styled demonstration.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:43pm On May 04, 2015
overhypedsteve:
there is nothing bad in an ad hoc joint vip protection plan. But the visitor shouldnt be allowed to hold her host nation's security aparatus to ransom no matter how advance or vast they are. So finally obama chose to come home. Y'all should give him a victory day parade styled demonstration.

It might happen (the victory day tyled parade) but most ppl think its Kinda to little too late for him to redeem himself. but i guess better late than never.
As for me, I will give him a victory dance only when I hear some talks of 4th Gen fighters on the way. he will hold talks with the CDF at the army HQ in hurlingham, Nairobi
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 1:51pm On May 04, 2015
denisfidha:

It might happen but most ppl think its Kinda to little too late for him to redeem himself. but i guess better late than never.
As for me, I will give him a victory dance only when I hear some talks of 4th Gen fighters on the way. he will hold talks with the CDF at the army HQ in hurlingham, Nairobi
he will thank the men for their efforts in AMISOM, promise joint training and exercises with them and then(highest probability) give them 50-60 used humvees or he may just stick with contributing non lethal equipment like mediovacs.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:58pm On May 04, 2015
overhypedsteve:
he will thank the men for their efforts in AMISOM, promise joint training and exercises with them and then(highest probability) give them 50-60 used humvees or he may just stick with contributing non lethal equipment like mediovacs.

Thats already done, Just last week I saw 15 brand new Humvees leaving Kahawa, Barracks.

when kenya's CDF visited US, it all seemed like a tour, it all looked like the places he visited were all random.

he visited pentagon, Marines training base, US-Mexico border, and airforce base in which he tested the life-support equipment and took a ride in an F-16 fighter........

Then some 5 to 6 months later, the government announced that it was planing to construct a wall in some parts along the Kenya-Somali border, I myself took it as a coincidence, up until it was revealed that the military was the one that came up with the idea and actualized the blue prints, and it was going to use the US-Mexico boder model http://www.intelligencebriefs.com/kenya-to-use-us-mexico-wall-model-to-counter-cross-border-militancy-the-wall-against-terror/

thats when I remembered, in an institution like DOD, things like that don't happen at random or by chance, the CDF did not just randomly wake up and decided he was going to the US to ride in an f-16 just for fun, then later visit the Mexico border just to check out some fancy metal wall in the desert, just cause he is using taxpayers money to go across the US and he doesn't have to personally pay for anything.

Ofcours I could be wrong about actually getting 4th gen from the tight grip of uncle Sam's tools, but I cant be wrong on the intent by our guys to acquire some from them. Only time will tell

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:09pm On May 04, 2015

Mauritanian Air Force Captain, Eyoub Teyss, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations officer, briefs U.S. Air Force Maj. Michael Simons, African Partnership Flight Mauritania lead planner, left, and U.S. Air Force Maj. Steven Payne, ISR instructor, about the ISR capabilities on the Cessna 208 Grand Caravan during a tour of the aircraft at Atar Airbase, Atar, Mauritania, Sept. 1, 2014. The Cessna 208 is the premier aircraft used by the Mauritanian Air Force to ensure safety and security in the region. (U.S. Air Force photo/Master Sgt. Brian Boisvert)
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 3:28pm On May 04, 2015
denisfidha:

Thats already done, Just last week I saw 15 brand new Humvees leaving Kahawa, Barracks.

when kenya's CDF visited US, it all seemed like a tour, it all looked like the places he visited were all random.

he visited pentagon, Marines training base, US-Mexico border, and airforce base in which he tested the life-support equipment and took a ride in an F-16 fighter........

Then some 5 to 6 months later, the government announced that it was planing to construct a wall in some parts along the Kenya-Somali border, I myself took it as a coincidence, up until it was revealed that the military was the one that came up with the idea and actualized the blue prints, and it was going to use the US-Mexico boder model http://www.intelligencebriefs.com/kenya-to-use-us-mexico-wall-model-to-counter-cross-border-militancy-the-wall-against-terror/

thats when I remembered, in an institution like DOD, things like that don't happen at random or by chance, the CDF did not just randomly wake up and decided he was going to the US to ride in an f-16 just for fun, then later visit the Mexico border just to check out some fancy metal wall in the desert, just cause he is using taxpayers money to go across the US and he doesn't have to personally pay for anything.

Ofcours I could be wrong about actually getting 4th gen, but I cant be wrong on the intent by our guys to acquire some. Only time will tell
personally i think a strong kenya is necessary to maintain stability and balance in eastern africa. But i do not wish kenya aquiring any airframe that will place her in the power axis.
With the development of other african nations military institutions,Nigeria is gradually losing her interventionist role in africa. More Nations are now willing and well posed to respond to threats and instability in their neighbourhood. Nobody is listening or waiting for the big powers again( Nigeria). Most times this efforts are sponsored by western third party countries( as in the case of Chad and her effort in Afisma and against nigeria's boko haram. Sponsored by france and the USA)so they no longer need the financial support that the big african economies have to offer.
Truth is that, with the gradual development and upgrade i am seeing in african militaries, Nigeria is begining to lose her strategic relevance in african politics, she is strong, but yet not strong enough to defend the interests of the 21st century africa.

Imagine sudan and Egypt sending jets to confront ISIS, Men. that used to be our kind of stuff.

My apologies to everyone for the derailment.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:48pm On May 04, 2015
overhypedsteve:
personally i think a strong kenya is necessary to maintain stability and balance in eastern africa. But i do not wish kenya aquiring any airframe that will place her in the power axis.
With the development of other african nations military institutions,Nigeria is gradually losing her interventionist role in africa. More Nations are now willing and well posed to respond to threats and instability in their neighbourhood. Nobody is listening or waiting for the big powers again( Nigeria). Most times this efforts are sponsored by western third party countries( as in the case of Chad and her effort in Afisma and against nigeria's boko haram. Sponsored by france and the USA)so they no longer need the financial support that the big african economies have to offer.
Truth is that, with the gradual development and upgrade i am seeing in african militaries, Nigeria is begining to lose her strategic relevance in african politics, she is strong, but yet not strong enough to defend the interests of the 21st century africa.

Imagine sudan and Egypt sending jets to confront ISIS, Men. that used to be our kind of stuff.

My apologies to everyone for the derailment.
this is why people i am telling you we need to have a africa militaries discussion thread ,my brother never have i come across a forum,place or what ever you want to call it .where us share the same needs,fears,goals e.t.c we may be rival but face the same threat for millenniums.the arabs are on the match,chinese,indians ,russians .when will we or we are waiting for another considering the decline of western powers .when will we dictate what goes on in africa rather than outsides.we need an african power that will send tremors on all four corners of the world
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:14pm On May 04, 2015
stillchris:
This is not a d1ck measuring contest, but i'm very proud of our military right now. even though the international community and media refuse to acknowledge it (since good news coming out of Africa is not good for business), i will not be decieved.

The Nigerian military has set a record by rescuing 600 captives with just one casualty from a terrorist stronghold known for it's extremely difficult terrain. sambisa is almost free.
This in less than a week.

Abeg, 1 million gbosa to our boys in uniform.
and u believe some those folks have been living iin sambisa since der ancestors

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (2854) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: christistruth01, kabe1 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.