Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,067 members, 7,859,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 08:15 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1653) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6027413 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1650) (1651) (1652) (1653) (1654) (1655) (1656) ... (2853) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 12:35pm On May 07, 2018
Covert1:

Last I checked this is a platform for African Militaries. Maybe you learn to comprehend my posts in that context and my choice of words.

We are not planning for war with Russia or China that have those kind of advanced and dense air defenses or military installations—such hardly exists in this region and where it does Nigeria has no geo-political ambitions.

Still in this region whilst the anticipated NAF A-29 Super Tucano' may be limited by speed compared to fast jets it's full compliment of weapons system gives it comparative advantage over what currently obtains and can be employed in SEAD from a stand-off position.

For different environments and threats are different solutions. There's always a combination of forces for effect.

Today hardly anyone risks flying over enemy airspace to be shot down but if NAF pilots could do that with Alpha Jets in foreign lands targeting key enemy installations and air defenses under fire then it can do much more with the incoming A-29 Super Tucanos.

Besides NAF' New Mi-35M are not cheap ok! And don't take too much of all you read online. A lot of it is the work of lobbyists. The reality is much much different. You can't dampen Nigeria's pride however you try whatever innuendos you use.

Get over it and get some sleep.

1. Tucanos arent designed for a contested airspace - one got shot down by Narco-terrorists in South America
2. A contested airspace is a contested a contested airspace - africa or elsewhere.
3. Your major neigbors posses significant AA capabilities: Cameroon - Oerlikon GDF. Chad - SA-6/13/7, Stinger, ZU-23.
4. Tucano is incapable of SEAD, you would only be able to use the AGM-65 which has the range, but you need something to target with.
5. Lobbyists have nothing to do with anything - the Mi-28 and Mi-35 are made by the same company

Again, you are so obsessed with this nonsensical idea of "Nigerian pride" (wtf does that even mean?) that instead of saying "Tucano is an excellent COIN platform" you say "WE GON FIGHT DE CONVENTIONAL WAR WIT DIT, WE GUN DO SEAD WIT DIT!TUCANO IS 18G GROWLER!"

Grow. UP.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 12:36pm On May 07, 2018
Sizzorkay:
Anyone here ever notice that each time Nigerian Military disclose a purchase, this thread goes nuts and people start hurling insults at one another.
If you little girls can just grow up, that would be nice.

I think its more closely related to the presence of Augustine

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by oyinpr(m): 1:32pm On May 07, 2018
The NAF has launched its new aircraft/armament engineer wings to be worn by its elite engineers cool

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 2:42pm On May 07, 2018
Patchesagain:

1. Tucanos arent designed for a contested airspace - one got shot down by Narco-terrorists in South America
2. A contested airspace is a contested a contested airspace - africa or elsewhere.
3. Your major neigbors posses significant AA capabilities: Cameroon - Oerlikon GDF. Chad - SA-6/13/7, Stinger, ZU-23.
4. Tucano is incapable of SEAD, you would only be able to use the AGM-65 which has the range, but you need something to target with.
5. Lobbyists have nothing to do with anything - the Mi-28 and Mi-35 are made by the same company

Again, you are so obsessed with this nonsensical idea of "Nigerian pride" (wtf does that even mean?) that instead of saying "Tucano is an excellent COIN platform" you say "WE GON FIGHT DE CONVENTIONAL WAR WIT DIT, WE GUN DO SEAD WIT DIT!TUCANO IS 18G GROWLER!"

Grow. UP.

1. The configuration of the A-29 Super Tucano that is being built for Nigeria is 'the F-16' on subsonic speeds. It is a multi-role offensive platform capable of a wide range of air combat roles including conventional and COIN tasks.

2. Buying expensive does not mean buying smart. Nigerian military planners know how to source cost-effective platforms mixed with the right sub-systems for the kill in combat.

3. Yea we get it when Nigeria buys all hell breaks lose. You should have cried like you do now when a few other African nations bought the Tucano. I promise you sleepless nights cos Nigeria will continue to soar and fly to your daily chagrin.

4. The current air defence systems of our Neigbours has nothing on the Nigerian armed forces as we can destroy them without sweat even with our currents Capabilities and assets. They know it we know it.

5. Yes Nigerian pride is why we fight and win!

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 2:56pm On May 07, 2018
Covert1:

1. The configuration of the A-29 Super Tucano that is being built for Nigeria is 'the F-16' on subsonic speeds. It is a multi-role offensive platform capable of a wide range of air combat roles including conventional and COIN tasks.

2. Buying expensive does not mean buying smart. Nigerian military planners know how to source cost-effective platforms mixed with the right sub-systems for the kill in combat.

3. Yea we get it when Nigeria buys all hell breaks lose. You should have cried like you do now when a few other African nations bought the Tucano. I promise you sleepless nights cos Nigeria will continue to soar and fly to your daily chagrin.

4. The current air defence systems of our Neigbours has nothing on the Nigerian armed forces as we can destroy them without sweat even with our currents Capabilities and assets. They know it we know it.

5. Yes Nigerian pride is why we fight and win!

1. I honestly dont care about Nigeria, what I care about is people coming onto military forums, pretending to be soldiers and then talking nonsense.

2. No one said expensive is smart, review the posts if you cant keep up with the argument.

3. I am happy that African nations have bought the Tucano, what I am unhappy about is people comparing it to an F-16 grin Its just a standard A-29 light attack aircraft.

4. No, the Super Tucano does not stand a chance against the SA-6 and SA-13 and a well operated Oerlikon GDF is more than enough to deny airspace - they took out 4+ harriers in the Falklands.

Again with this "pride" nonsense. If "pride" is your thing then:

--------> https://www.nairaland.com/415620/strongest-military-africa/2

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SternProphet: 2:59pm On May 07, 2018
Patchesagain:

Grow. UP.

We are not buying Super Tucano for SEAD. There is no contested airspace in Africa talk less West Africa. There are puny AA capabilities in West Africa and we are not going to send Super Tucanoes against them.
We want to find, hunt down and kill insurgents and criminals cheaply and accurately.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 3:02pm On May 07, 2018
SternProphet:

We are not buying Super Tucano for SEAD. There is no contested airspace in Africa talk less West Africa. There are puny AA capabilities in West Africa and we are not going to send Super Tucanoes against them.
We want to find, hunt down and kill insurgents and criminals cheaply and accurately.

I know dude, I know.

I know that 99.9% of the Nigerians on this forum are sensible people who know exactly why the Tucano was purchased and exactly what it will be used for. For its intended role - obliterating insurgents - the Tucano is an excellent platform, probably the most effective in the world (when you compare cost to performance - using a Gripen or JF-17 to blow up a technical, is like using a Rolex to hammer in a nail).

But what I cannot handle is this nonsense from Augustine. "Mi-35M is the best of the Mi series" "Tucano can operate in contested airspace"... god help me! Its like watching a toddler fiddle with dog excrement... you just have to step in and correct the behavior!

O well, I have said my bit. Nothing more to say I guess.

9 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 3:32pm On May 07, 2018
Patchesagain:

1. I honestly dont care about Nigeria, what I care about is people coming onto military forums, pretending to be soldiers and then talking nonsense.

2. No one said expensive is smart, review the posts if you cant keep up with the argument.

3. I am happy that African nations have bought the Tucano, what I am unhappy about is people comparing it to an F-16 grin Its just a standard A-29 light attack aircraft.

4. No, the Super Tucano does not stand a chance against the SA-6 and SA-13 and a well operated Oerlikon GDF is more than enough to deny airspace - they took out 4+ harriers in the Falklands.

Again with this "pride" nonsense. If "pride" is your thing then:

--------> https://www.nairaland.com/415620/strongest-military-africa/2

You lie. You care about Nigeria. If you don't you'd have let it slide but you can't as that would mean Nigeria stealing your country's thunder in broad day light. A reality whichever.

You don't care about other African countries. We know your ilk. Oh sry and to hurt you Eber more their tucanos is nothing compared to our tucanos configuration.

Air Marshals who have flown the A-29 Super Tucano has called it the F-16 short of supersonic speed. That's a fact.

That the A-29 has stall speed capability doesn't mean it is slow as you think. Those SAMs you mention have nothing on the NAF.

Nigeria shudders you enough. I promise you pain since you won't be humbled. I'll smear Nigerian pride in your face that you think, eat, sleep and breathe Nigeria that you will never dare again.

Just a moment....

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 3:54pm On May 07, 2018
Covert1:

[s]You lie. You care about Nigeria. If you don't you'd have let it slide but you can't as that would mean Nigeria stealing your country's thunder in broad day light. A reality whichever.

You don't care about other African countries. We know your ilk. Oh sry and to hurt you Eber more their tucanos is nothing compared to our tucanos configuration.

Air Marshals who have flown the A-29 Super Tucano has called it the F-16 short of supersonic speed. That's a fact.

That the A-29 has stall speed capability doesn't mean it is slow as you think. Those SAMs you mention have nothing on the NAF.

Nigeria shudders you enough. I promise you pain since you won't be humbled. I'll smear Nigerian pride in your face that you think, eat, sleep and breathe Nigeria that you will never dare again.

Just a moment....[/s]

Tucano A-29 is a Tucano A-29. Want to say otherwise? Prove it.

You are saying that propellor aircraft without SEAD capabilities stands a chance against the same platform that hit a B-52 and shot two of the three F-16's that have ever been shot down

Augustine, this discussion is over. Please stop quoting me.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 4:17pm On May 07, 2018
SternProphet:

Our current threat obviously informs the purchase a job the A-29 can do excellently well at about $600 an hour loitering over the vicinity of interest for upwards of 4 hours with the capability to switch from ISR to Attack with precision compare that to a fast jet which could cost upwards of some 10 to 20 thousand dollars for CAS of 20mins wit less certain effectiveness.

However you and I know the weapons systems on our A-29 goes just beyond targeting militia bandits and rampaging terrorists with AK-47s and technicals. It is a multi-role platform and where circumstances and conditions permit use of it for suppression of enemy defenses hypothetically in our neck of the woods it will and can do so. The world is unpredictable.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 4:29pm On May 07, 2018
The NAF's incoming A-29 Super Tucano is designed to carry a proper fighters array of smart and conventional weaponry for a wide range of air missions not limited to COIN. It's armament panoply is fully integrated with it's 21st century avionics system and comprises some of the most advanced ordnance and sensors. It is a multi-role offensive Warplane.

Pic: The A-29 Super Tucano Warplane revving up for ISR and combat.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:25pm On May 07, 2018
Patchesagain:

Chief, do you know that technically we are talking about the same thing when we talk about ; Contested Airspace, No Flight Zone NFZ, Sky Demilitarize Zone SDZ, Air Exclusion Zone AEZ

Now Chief, are you aware that in 2009 Nigerian airspace became a "Air Exclusion Zone" that lasted thru the Under 17 World Cup that was hosted here ? In which no bird could fly without adequate and rigorous permission.

Do you also know that it was same with South Africa during the 2010 FIFA World Cup ?

And do you as well know that it was same with 2012 Olympic in London ?

Now Chief, are you aware that Nigeria has throw in it weight over hosting rights of the next Under 20 FIFA World Cup?

Chief, if you still think that Nigeria ordered the Tucanos only for COIN, then I am afraid sir you have a tunnel vision.
And this tunnel vision is the difference between you here claiming wisdom on Nairaland and the Nigerian Air Force doing the real deal in real life
Good day Chief wink

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SternProphet: 5:33pm On May 07, 2018
Covert1:
The NAF's incoming A-29 Super Tucano is designed to carry a proper fighters array of smart and conventional weaponry for a wide range of air missions not limited to COIN. It's armament panoply is fully integrated with it's 21st century avionics system and comprises some of the most advanced ordnance and sensors. It is a multi-role offensive Warplane.

Pic: The A-29 Super Tucano Warplane revving up for ISR and combat.

Yes same capabilities for ground attack deployed on Super Tucano as F16. Super Tucanoes also have the latest ISR and network with elements of national security architecture seamlessly.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 5:44pm On May 07, 2018
SternProphet:

Yes same capabilities for ground attack deployed on Super Tucano as F16. Super Tucanoes also have the latest ISR and network with elements of national security architecture seamlessly.

Brilliant.

It also has advanced capabilities for counter air operations...

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 5:51pm On May 07, 2018
Question of the day:
Can drones be used for SEAD?

Pic: Nigerian Air Force CH-3 Drone

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SternProphet: 6:11pm On May 07, 2018
Covert1:
Question of the day:
Can drones be used for SEAD?

Pic: Nigerian Air Force CH-3 Drone

The best platforms for SEAD are drones. Cheap and effective

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jteku(m): 6:21pm On May 07, 2018

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:25pm On May 07, 2018
SternProphet:

The best platforms for SEAD are drones. Cheap and effective
Do you think UAVs can cope with hardcore SAMs like the Russian SAM-300 and 400 ?

I think "best platforms for SEAD" depend on the target at hand.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SternProphet: 6:37pm On May 07, 2018
abiodunalasa:

Do you think UAVs can cope with hardcore SAMs like the Russian SAM-300 and 400 ?

I think "best platforms for SEAD" depend on the target at hand.
I am thinking swarms of interactive and cheap drones in an AI environment. One set of drones sucks in all frequency and comms info about air defences and the other set homes in on frequencies and attacks with sub munitions.
All Russian air defence doctrine is based on wrong assumptions.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 6:49pm On May 07, 2018
YOU GUYS JUST LIKE COMPLICATING THINGS.

Suppression of Enemy Air Defence require a stealthy, fast aircraft with good payload to cause enough destruction as quick as posible. Super Tucano won't fit into this role because the enemy will bring it down before it get close.

The only other way is to disrupt the enemy's system using eletronic warfare (which tucano have never been used for) and attack with a different Aircraft.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:51pm On May 07, 2018
SternProphet:

I am thinking swarms of interactive and cheap drones in an AI environment. One set of drones sucks in all frequency and comms info about air defences and the other set homes in on frequencies and attacks with sub munitions.
All Russian air defence doctrine is based on wrong assumptions.

Hmmm I thought you said "cheap" sir ?
How about one able platform raining down ARMs Anti Radiation Missiles ?

Pls enlighten me about the bolded cool
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 6:57pm On May 07, 2018
abiodunalasa:

Chief, do you know that technically we are talking about the same thing when we talk about ; Contested Airspace, No Flight Zone NFZ, Sky Demilitarize Zone SDZ, Air Exclusion Zone AEZ

Now Chief, are you aware that in 2009 Nigerian airspace became a "Air Exclusion Zone" that lasted thru the Under 17 World Cup that was hosted here ? In which no bird could fly without adequate and rigorous permission.

Do you also know that it was same with South Africa during the 2010 FIFA World Cup ?

Now Chief, are you aware that Nigeria has throw in it weight over hosting rights of the next Under 20 FIFA World Cup?

Chief, if you still think that Nigeria ordered the Tucanos only for COIN, then I am afraid sir you have a tunnel vision.
And this tunnel vision is the difference between you here claiming wisdom on Nairaland and the Nigerian Air Force doing the real deal in real life
Good day Chief wink

You are talking about different things. Contested air space is not the same as a no flight zone, although similar. Any foreign air force pilot that accidentally strays too close or into Israeli airspace will have seconds to divert their flight plan, or find out what contested air space means. No flight zones during a World Cup - nope.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 07, 2018
iblawi:
YOU GUYS JUST LIKE COMPLICATING THINGS.

Suppression of Enemy Air Defence require a stealthy, fast aircraft with good payload to cause enough destruction as quick as posible. Super Tucano won't fit into this role because the enemy will bring it down before it get close.

The only other way is to disrupt the enemy's system using eletronic warfare (which tucano have never been used for) and attack with a different Aircraft.

So after disrupting enemy system thru electronic warfare, the Super Tucano cant still be used ? undecided

"Designed to operate in high temperature and humidity conditions in extremely rugged terrain, the Super Tucano is highly maneuverable, has a low heat signature, and incorporates fourth-generation avionics and weapons systems to deliver precision-guided munitions"... cool

Boss you are making the beautiful bird look bad cool
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 7:41pm On May 07, 2018
abiodunalasa:

So after disrupting enemy system thru electronic warfare, the Super Tucano cant still be used ? undecided

"Designed to operate in high temperature and humidity conditions in extremely rugged terrain, the Super Tucano is highly maneuverable, has a low heat signature, and incorporates fourth-generation avionics and weapons systems to deliver precision-guided munitions"... cool

The Tucano is a reconnaissance/ light attack aircraft. Electronic warfare features were not incorporated by the manufacturer and they never claimed it.

Secondly, will your EW suit stop the Triple A guns when you're attacking or leaving at a very slow speed?.

NOTE: EWS effective on a system might not be effective on another. Its not like trowing a bomb that must explode.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SternProphet: 7:42pm On May 07, 2018
abiodunalasa:

Hmmm I thought you said "cheap" sir ?
How about one able platform raining down ARMs Anti Radiation Missiles ?

Pls enlighten me about the bolded cool
Russians believe in lone shot intercepts of aircrafts or cruise missiles using powerful radar and high speed data processing in a future where speed of process and artificial intelligence is driving things. The things you are trying to shoot down in the future are intelligent instruments, when they are targeted, they will track the source, relay the signals and artificially get shut down but new ones emerge that can shoot HARM.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SternProphet: 7:43pm On May 07, 2018
iblawi:

The Tucano is a reconnaissance/ light attack aircraft. Electronic warfare features were not incorporated by the manufacturer and they never claimed it.

Secondly, will your EW suit stop the Triple A guns when you're attacking or leaving at a very slow speed?.

NOTE: EWS effective on a system might not be effective on another.

All Super Tucano offensive capabilities are at stand off distances.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 7:48pm On May 07, 2018
SternProphet:

All Super Tucano offensive capabilities are at stand off distances.

Some AAA guns can still hit target at 6-8km roughly.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 7:49pm On May 07, 2018
lets just keep posting picture please.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidex111: 7:50pm On May 07, 2018
abiodunalasa:

Good day Chief wink

Naaaaaao ...... for heaven these is way out of line.

The super tucano his the best aircraft for CION/border patroll and can carry out ISR mission on its own, in its class the tucano his the best.

For air space superiority and NFZ it's another thing entirely, you need more stealthy, fast with more advanced electronic supremely.

CION and NFZ aircrafts the tucano can't be used for both.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:54pm On May 07, 2018
"Super Tucano for SEAD missions?". Are we all talking about the same Super Tucano i know or is this a new variant? undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidex111: 7:57pm On May 07, 2018
abiodunalasa:

The tucano is highly maneuver...... shocked shocked shocked . Merely looking at the design I need no aerodynamic engineer to tell me it's high maneuver for air superiority.

Nothing stealthy about the Tucano, it's has zero capability for a air superiority contest. It is not designed and built for NFZ purpose.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 8:00pm On May 07, 2018
SAAF...

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1650) (1651) (1652) (1653) (1654) (1655) (1656) ... (2853) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.