Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,270 members, 7,839,354 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1856) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5999251 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1853) (1854) (1855) (1856) (1857) (1858) (1859) ... (2847) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 9:11pm On May 05, 2019
Henry240:
Nigerian soldier in Tears after combat with BHT
PTSD loading

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 11:33pm On May 05, 2019
SLBMS:
CH-3A RAINBOW UCAV assigned to the strike wing of the NAF TACTICAL RECONNAISSANCE SQUADRON

The Chinese AR-1 Missile Defeating Terrorism in Africa

In today’s fast changing technological landscape, having an edge (no matter how small) over any adversary is essential to achieving victory on the battlefield.

When paired with capable precision munitions, drones allows military forces to hold considerable advantage over non-state actors.

Traditionally, high-tech military weapons are usually the preserve of Western military powers, such as the United States, U.K, France, Germany and Russia. In coping with this monopoly, African nations are slowly turning towards China to fulfil their military needs. Additionally, the US arms export approval process is usually slow and are attached to political strings.

Unlike the United States, China is not a signatory to the international Arms Trade Treaty (ATT), meaning it has little or no restriction on the sales of armed drones and related technologies.

With China still finding its footing in the overall scheme of things in the defense sector however, Chinese sophisticated and inexpensive drones are expected to dominate the global market. Granted, even the US still has an upper hand when it comes to drone technology.

READ...
https://www.africanmilitaryblog.com/2018/08/the-chinese-ar-1-missile

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 6:56am On May 06, 2019
giles14:
PTSD loading
There is a lot of things about the horrors of war that Nigerians are not aware of.
It could be this Soldier thought he was going to die in this recent firefight or he probably killed a fellow human being for the first time.
We will know .
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gees9: 9:45am On May 06, 2019
61mech:
These conflicts were not just about black liberation. There was a lot of tribal factors at work below the surface as well. The cold war was also in play and dominated geopolitics at the time. The liberation movements in southern africa was dominated by Marxist ideology with all that implied. Not all Blacks were onboard with this. If you think this was just white propaganda, look at what Mugabe did in Matabeleland North to the Ndebele
people after the war.

The soldiers of 32Bn. which was arguably the finest infantry unit in African history were originally from Angolan tribes that the MPLA government tried to wipe out. Along with their families they found a home in the SADF. In Namibia SWAPO was commiting lots of atrocities against rival tribes while conducting their insurgency. South West African territorial forces were dominated by black soldiers from opposing tribes.
About 40% of SADF special forces who qualified as operators during the apartheid years where black as well. I ended my service before ANC rule and had lots of black and coloured NCO's around.

Its a oversimplification to say these soldiers were traitors to their race. An Ovambo is a Ovambo before hes a black man.If you have to choose between a group who wants to wipe out your tribe and a gov. who denies you the right to vote, its a easy choice.
In the same vane, you could argue that the white populations in SA,Rhodesia,Namibia were just another tribe rather than some colonial power. After all, the Boers fought one of the first anti colonial wars in Africa against the English.

Majority of 32BN were from Holden Roberto's FNLA I believe
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:08pm On May 06, 2019
New Nigerian LAV

Ballistic Test Passed.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 1:40pm On May 06, 2019
You should talk to some older black Zimbabweans from that era about Ian Smith vs. ZANUPF rule.
I prefer to stay away from political discussions on this site. Never seems end up very productive for anyone. My point above was that the post colonial history of Southern Africa , like everywhere else, is much more complicated than the black and white narrative that's put out there. That's why you find these anomalies like black soldiers in the Rhodesian and south African armies.

Henry240:

The overriding factor for the conflicts at the time were in regard to majority rule. Ian Smith was just as horrible as Mugabe, the claim by a lot of people that the country is worse off now under then Mugabe holds no water. Rhodesia under "sanctions" still traded with governments in the west, compare that with Mugabe's sanctions.

I'm still looking up on the militaries of Southern Africa during the years of segregation. Like I said, these are new information to me.

Now, since you're from that era, I'll like to ask a quick question, why do most soldiers of the SADF from the era of Apartheid complain a lot about the current state of the SANDF?

Not genuine complaints though, but let's make-believe the complaints are genuine.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:32pm On May 06, 2019
61mech:
You should talk to some older black Zimbabweans from that era about Ian Smith vs. ZANUPF rule.
I prefer to stay away from political discussions on this site. Never seems end up very productive for anyone. My point above was that the post colonial history of Southern Africa , like everywhere else, is much more complicated than the black and white narrative that's put out there. That's why you find these anomalies like black soldiers in the Rhodesian and south African armies.

point taken.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:46pm On May 06, 2019
Cameroun BIR

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:49pm On May 06, 2019
Nigerian Navy Commandos

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:55pm On May 06, 2019
Senegalese Special Forces

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 06, 2019
Cameroun

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 06, 2019
The boxer IFV spotted in algerian army .

Reports of a local production under licence from 2020

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:39pm On May 06, 2019
Kilo 636 M

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 06, 2019
Police algeria Gosp

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Fidha254(m): 9:48am On May 07, 2019
KDF IED survivor honoring those who didn't make it

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by nganduh: 10:41am On May 07, 2019
Henry240:

I find the whole situation in Southern-Africa during white minority rule to be quite confusing.

I only just learnt that Black South-Africans served as volunteers, not conscripts in South-Africa during apartheid. In-fact only whites were conscripted. Looking at footage during 16 years of fighting in Angola, I see a lot of Black soldiers. Contrary to what was everyday Nigerian public knowledge.

My question is why?

Yes, they were a lot of black solders fighting for white rule. In a society where blacks had few prospects besides being teachers and nurses, the security force was another option. I believe the system subverted the population big time, i.e. serving the Rhodesian government gave you a job and comfort, or you oppose and you and your family you struggle in the bush.

Worse is that sometimes any employment by the government got you killed by the guerrillas. As an example, my uncle got killed for working for the registry where is was a photographer (photo IDs). However, by far most of my relations were guerrillas, and my own mother was an informant (chibwido). While she mourns the killing of her brother by her own side, she does not demonize ZANLA.

Hard hitting pseudo operations by the Selous Scouts needed black people to work. It needed and relied mostly on captured (and turned) guerrillas. Subversion was a major factor with both cohesive and persuasive means applied.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:00pm On May 07, 2019
Proforce Defence Nigeria MRAPs

Build Process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMEMmAGJ2BQ

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 07, 2019

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:15pm On May 07, 2019
nganduh:

Yes, they were a lot of black solders fighting for white rule. In a society where blacks had few prospects besides being teachers and nurses, the security force was another option. I believe the system subverted the population big time, i.e. serving the Rhodesian government gave you a job and comfort, or you oppose and you and your family you struggle in the bush.

Worse is that sometimes any employment by the government got you killed by the guerrillas. As an example, my uncle got killed for working for the registry where is was a photographer (photo IDs). However, by far most of my relations were guerrillas, and my own mother was an informant (chibwido). While she mourns the killing of her brother by her own side, she does not demonize ZANLA.

Hard hitting pseudo operations by the Selous Scouts needed black people to work. It needed and relied mostly on captured (and turned) guerrillas. Subversion was a major factor with both cohesive and persuasive means applied.
Thanks for this.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SuperSixSeven: 3:35pm On May 07, 2019
Henry240:
Proforce Defence Nigeria MRAPs

Build Process

Awesome content as usual, Henry!

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:54pm On May 07, 2019
Nigerian army Airborne School

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:28am On May 08, 2019
Cameroun BIR Sniper

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:34am On May 09, 2019
Kalâat Beni Abbes LPD Algerian navy

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:37am On May 09, 2019
Alg

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:39am On May 09, 2019
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:45am On May 09, 2019
Nigerian Navy

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:49am On May 09, 2019
Nigerian Navy SBS

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 10:55am On May 09, 2019
Nigeria Navy SBS are pro wink we need female SF among them cool
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 11:04am On May 09, 2019
Fidha254:
Global Firepower website increased the number of amoured vehicles belonging to Kenya to 500 (previously it used to be around 250), and the number of helicopters to 80 which is about right. Yet on the other hand Sipri doesn't show any new deliveries of new vehicles.

Or is it that Sipri doesnt count deliveries if they were made locally Cause from looking at the pics of Kenya's IG visiting GSU HQ, I noticed the front end of an APC that the IG was inspecting on what looks like a vehicle made by a company in Kenya -(The company is Owned by a Dubai based parent Company i think)

http://mspv.co.ke/armored-personnel-carrier-kenya/armored-personnel-carrier-kenya-2

A word of advice-don't use GFP for anything. In fact if you see a printout maybe its good for toilet paper and that's about it!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 09, 2019
Somali Soldiers

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 4:30pm On May 09, 2019
Henry240:
Somali Soldiers
As cool as these Guys why is it so hard to defeat terrorist in Somalia
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:25pm On May 09, 2019
Toju200:
As cool as these Guys why is it so hard to defeat terrorist in Somalia
That's because they are wearing Turkish gear. Somalia is a very poor country.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1853) (1854) (1855) (1856) (1857) (1858) (1859) ... (2847) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.