Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,567 members, 7,861,688 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:10 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2220) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6030662 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2217) (2218) (2219) (2220) (2221) (2222) (2223) ... (2853) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 8:05pm On Nov 02, 2020
Lurker4Long:
I much prefer SVI Engineering's latest offering, the Max 9 APC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhlw529ZI_0
hmm seems these guys wants to steal the beauty show from Ara MRAP 2
Impressive...
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:25pm On Nov 02, 2020
Lurker4Long:

It can't just be a sanctions problem. The sanctions target specific individuals and their companies. How do you explain Egypt, Algeria and others receiving equipment they bought in Russia?

Algeria receives additional Migs.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/aerospace/aerospace-aerospace/algeria-receives-additional-mig-29s/

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 9:08am On Nov 03, 2020
[quote author=kabe1 post=95613938][/quote]

Attaching a press report doesn't really answer the question.
These are the African countries who've received Russian military equipment since CAATSA was signed into law:
Algeria
Angola
Central African Republic
Cote d'Ivoire
Egypt
Ethiopia
Equatorial Guinea
Mali
Mozambique
Nigeria
Sudan.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:13am On Nov 03, 2020
Lurker4Long:

Attaching a press report doesn't really answer the question.
These are the African countries who've received Russian military equipment since CAATSA was signed into law:
Algeria
Angola
Central African Republic
Cote d'Ivoire
Egypt
Ethiopia
Equatorial Guinea
Mali
Mozambique
Nigeria
Sudan.

The press report directly quotes the Nigerian ambassador to Russia.

Until a statement from Nigeria or Russia states otherwise, that's the only verifiable evidence we have at this time as regards the none delivery of the remaining MI-35M helicopters to Nigeria.

If you have any other source you can post it.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 9:28am On Nov 03, 2020
kabe1:

The press report directly quotes the Nigerian ambassador to Russia.

Until a statement from Nigeria or Russia states otherwise, that's the only verifiable evidence we have at this time as regards the none delivery of the remaining MI-35M helicopters to Nigeria.

If you have any other source you can post it.
Strange sanctions these...that Nigeria can receive some Russian equipment but not others
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:32am On Nov 03, 2020
Lurker4Long:

Strange sanctions these...that Nigeria can receive some Russian equipment but not others

If you have evidence, please post it.

It makes no sense that when you are asked for proof to support your claims, you resort to sarcasm.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:37am On Nov 03, 2020
Lurker4Long:

The Russian-Nigerian defense cooperation is complicated due to sanctions targeting Russia, the ambassador noted.

Nigeria Has Received 6 Russian Mi-35M Helicopters, Expects 6 Remaining - Ambassador

"Sanctions against Russia do not help this cause, as you can imagine. Russia is a reliable partner that always fulfills its obligations. We will definitely agree on the supply of the remaining Mi-35 helicopters, and then we will see what we can do as part of the law," Ugbah added.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sputniknews.com/amp/world/201910111077019504-nigeria-has-received-6-russian-mi-35m-helicopters-expects-6-remaining---ambassador/
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 10:03am On Nov 03, 2020
kabe1:

If you have evidence, please post it.

It makes no sense that when you are asked for proof to support your claims, you resort to sarcasm.

I see you're pretending that list of countries who received Russian equipment since the sanctions, doesn't exist.
The evidence stares you in the face, but "the ambassador said..."

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:08am On Nov 03, 2020
Lurker4Long:

I see you're pretending that list of countries who received Russian equipment since the sanctions, doesn't exist.
The evidence stares you in the face, but "the ambassador said..."

Lol, what evidence are you talking about?

Can you enlighten me, so we are on the same page.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 10:13am On Nov 03, 2020
kabe1:

Lol, what evidence are you talking about?

Can you enlighten me, so we are on the same page.

Let me try this in simple terms:

Kabe: we haven't received 6 choppers because of sanctions against Russia

Me: But Nigeria and other countries have received Russian equipment since sanctions, so there must be another reason

Kabe: But the ambassador said it's sanctions

Me: Do the sanctions not apply to the other materiel received by Nigeria and others?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Whyem15: 10:50am On Nov 03, 2020
Lurker4Long:

Me: But Nigeria and other countries have received Russian equipment since sanctions, so there must be another reason

Me: Do the sanctions not apply to the other materiel received by Nigeria and others?

It is all about diplomacy, some countries get waivers while others don't. US might look the other way for some reasons if some countries do it while others might be dealt with.
The fact is that CAATSA exists to deter countries from buying weapons from Russia and some other countries and any country that trades weapons with Russia does it at the risk of being punished. Whether the country will eventually be punished or not is another discussion. But money is definitely not the problem. We can only wait to see what eventually happens.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 11:13am On Nov 03, 2020
Lurker4Long:

Man, this post you made shows you understand nothing about the politics of buying arms.

Indonesia backed out of buying SU-35s from Russia for what reason exactly?

You know what, It's futile continuing this discussion with you.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tobiloba2407: 11:21am On Nov 03, 2020
Lurker4Long:

A couple of countries called the bluff with the USA weapons sanctions on Russia, one of such countries is India, they got weapons from Russia and are also due to get the most advanced version of f16( f21), it's just politics, when you are big, you are big and when there is a couple of billion dollars at stake, the USA would look the other way, because they don't want that money going to Russia.
I think, the Nigerian government is waiting for the USA government to fulfill it's pending orders, to avoid stories that touch, them get the mi35m delivered.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 12:12pm On Nov 03, 2020
Tobiloba2407:

I think, the Nigerian government is waiting for the USA government to fulfill it's pending orders, to avoid stories that touch, them get the mi35m delivered.

Unlikely, considering how long it will take before the last Tucano is delivered. Also, the 3 RD-93 engines for the JF-17 were delivered early 2018, after CAATSA and with no waiver being necessary.

What some are over-looking is that outside of Europe, CAATSA specifically says Russian exports will be blocked if they threaten US or allies national security. That's why the list of countries have been able to buy, without applying for waivers.

Look, I don't know the reason for the delay, but facts available right now make a nonsense of the sanctions excuse.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 1:32pm On Nov 03, 2020
President Muhammadu Buhari gave the nod for the rescue operation by American Special Forces who stormed a location in Nigeria to free Philip Walton, the American hostage who was kidnapped in the Niger Republic in a cross border attack by motorcycle-riding bandits.
Daily Trust got additional exclusive details of what transpired from an impeccable intelligence source.
Reports at the weekend showed that the American, who was living in the village of Massalata near Birnin Konni in the Niger Republic, was snatched from there by one of the many kidnap gangs based within Nigeria.
United States security officials sought for Nigeria as soon as they got a report of the kidnap of their citizen in the border region between Nigeria and the Niger Republic where incidents of cross border kidnaps have been previously reported.
The Americans got back to Nigerian security officials as soon as contact was made by the kidnappers who called the kidnapped person's family with a Nigerian number. The kidnappers were said to have demanded a huge ransom.

Daily Trust learnt that Nigerian intelligence officials quickly traced the number to a specific place in a village in Illela Local Government of Sokoto State.

With the American elections just days away and the polls showing him behind the Democratic Challenger, Joe Biden, President Trump is under pressure to show a positive side of American power.
It is no surprise that American security officials put in requests to Nigerian officials and followed up with phone calls by Mike Pompeo, the American Secretary of State. Nigerian officials in turn reviewed the situation and advised President Buhari to approve the request of the Americans to cross the border from Niger and mount a rescue operation.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 1:38pm On Nov 03, 2020
Lurker4Long:

Unlikely, considering how long it will take before the last Tucano is delivered. Also, the 3 RD-93 engines for the JF-17 were delivered early 2018, after CAATSA and with no waiver being necessary.

What some are over-looking is that outside of Europe, CAATSA specifically says Russian exports will be blocked if they threaten US or allies national security. That's why the list of countries have been able to buy, without applying for waivers.

Look, I don't know the reason for the delay, but facts available right now make a nonsense of the sanctions excuse.

Whose National Security is Indonesia threatening with the proposed purchase of SU-35s from Russia?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 1:42pm On Nov 03, 2020
kabe1:
President Muhammadu Buhari gave the nod for the rescue operation by American Special Forces who stormed a location in Nigeria to free Philip Walton, the American hostage who was kidnapped in the Niger Republic in a cross border attack by motorcycle-riding bandits.
Daily Trust got additional exclusive details of what transpired from an impeccable intelligence source.
Reports at the weekend showed that the American, who was living in the village of Massalata near Birnin Konni in the Niger Republic, was snatched from there by one of the many kidnap gangs based within Nigeria.
United States security officials sought for Nigeria as soon as they got a report of the kidnap of their citizen in the border region between Nigeria and the Niger Republic where incidents of cross border kidnaps have been previously reported.
The Americans got back to Nigerian security officials as soon as contact was made by the kidnappers who called the kidnapped person's family with a Nigerian number. The kidnappers were said to have demanded a huge ransom.

Daily Trust learnt that Nigerian intelligence officials quickly traced the number to a specific place in a village in Illela Local Government of Sokoto State.

With the American elections just days away and the polls showing him behind the Democratic Challenger, Joe Biden, President Trump is under pressure to show a positive side of American power.
It is no surprise that American security officials put in requests to Nigerian officials and followed up with phone calls by Mike Pompeo, the American Secretary of State. Nigerian officials in turn reviewed the situation and advised President Buhari to approve the request of the Americans to cross the border from Niger and mount a rescue operation.
He doesn't have a choice. Except we wanna say bye bye to the Super Tucano.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 2:33pm On Nov 03, 2020
kabe1:

Whose National Security is Indonesia threatening with the proposed purchase of SU-35s from Russia?

A certain US ally called Australia, with whom Indonesia has been at odds for a long time now.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 2:55pm On Nov 03, 2020
Lurker4Long:

A certain US ally called Australia, with whom Indonesia has been at odds for a long time now.

Indonesia is a US ally in the Indo-pacific region.

You have not told us why the SU-35 fighter deal was blocked.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 3:33pm On Nov 03, 2020
kabe1:

Indonesia is a US ally in the Indo-pacific region.

You have not told us why the SU-35 fighter deal was blocked.

Come now this is getting tedious. Australia v Indonesia, whom will US prioritise?

And I see you've still not bothered to explain this:

Algeria
Angola
Central African Republic
Cote d'Ivoire
Egypt
Ethiopia
Equatorial Guinea
Mali
Mozambique
Nigeria
Sudan.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 3:37pm On Nov 03, 2020
Lurker4Long:

Come now this is getting tedious. Australia v Indonesia, whom will US prioritise?

And I see you've still not bothered to explain this:

Let's agree to disagree.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by UltimateDreamer: 5:27pm On Nov 03, 2020
Technically, Technical, Technically grin

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Hennynitan(m): 6:44pm On Nov 03, 2020
UltimateDreamer:
Technically, Technical, Technically grin
Lol... This is too much

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 6:45pm On Nov 03, 2020
kabe1:

Let's agree to disagree.

Facts are immutable.
FACT 1: CAATSA did NOT prevent Algeria, Angola, Central African Republic, Cote d'Ivoire, Egypt, Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Mali, Mozambique, Nigeria and Sudan receiving military equipment from Russia after the law was passed in the US.

FACT 2: None of these countries applied for waivers.

FACT 3: With the exception of Egypt's SU-35 purchase (because it threatened the national security of the US ally, Israel), the US did not utter a word about these transactions.

Now, with which of the above facts do you disagree?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Enigma001: 6:18am On Nov 04, 2020
Hi boss,
You seemed to be knowledgeable about the nn dssc and I'd like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind.

Xbee007:

I can only speak authoritatively on Nigerian Navy DSSC because I once made it to the final screening in Ojo where only 2 people were finally picked out of about 16 of us from my state.

During the recruitment application process, you will be asked to enter your class of result. First Class and Second Class Upper are strictly listed as the requirements for application. This means that people who entered anything lower than the requirements will be automatically screened out by the system.

Some people lied during the registration but they were outed at the scene of the first recruitment test. At Mogadishu Cantonment where I wrote mine, for example, people who haven't completed their NYSC, and people who falsified their results were screened out. They won't check your results but the threat alone is enough to put the fear of God in you. So people voluntarily came out and were sent back home.

The screening in Ojo, Lagos is the most rigorous of all. They will check all your results, FSLC, SSCE, HND, BSC etc. I think we spent a day two on that alone. So anything below the earlier stated requirements will be screened out. Even though at this stage, they won't immediately screened you out but you will be noted till the d-day. I think people that lied up to this stage were handed over to the police.

Now, there is a story of a lady that made it to this stage with a second class lower degree although she managed to fool the authority that she had a First Class. They called her Mama Kwara in camp then. People said when you see her you immediately knew she was going to make it to the final stage cos there were very few ladies with her prowess, and the NN needed ladies. To cut the long story short, she was outed while in training because the Nigerian Navy went to her alma mata and discovered she actually graduated with a 2:2 not the first class she had claimed.

But we all know the Nigerian factor. One of the two guys that were finally chosen, I swear his name didn't appear on the list. Although, he speaks my language but I still doubt he is even from my state. That is the power of knowing the right people in Nigeria.

TL;DR Unfortunately, you can't apply for DSSC with a lower credit. cry
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 8:18am On Nov 04, 2020
Off topic: US approve sale of F22 raptors to Israel.
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://googleweblight.com/sp%3Fu%3Dhttps://www.timesofisrael.com/trump-approves-selling-f-22-raptor-to-israel-report/%26grqid%3DOHzyTRXG%26s%3D1%26hl%3Den-NG&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwizs83qq-jsAhWSQEEAHdGpDtgQFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw0tYDPoXLmtA3t87tGmwyfU

I thought this jet wasn't meant to be exported...
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:36am On Nov 04, 2020
Toju200:
Off topic: US approve sale of F22 raptors to Israel.
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://googleweblight.com/sp%3Fu%3Dhttps://www.timesofisrael.com/trump-approves-selling-f-22-raptor-to-israel-report/%26grqid%3DOHzyTRXG%26s%3D1%26hl%3Den-NG&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwizs83qq-jsAhWSQEEAHdGpDtgQFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw0tYDPoXLmtA3t87tGmwyfU

I thought this jet wasn't meant to be exported...
Getting to expensive even for the yanks grin grin grin grin........................shifting the problem to Israel, and getting paid for it !

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by shadowprimezero: 12:19pm On Nov 04, 2020
Really dangerous news coming out of Ethiopia. Potential civil war brewing....

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Salatavor: 12:33pm On Nov 04, 2020
Toju200:
Impressive...
Stop this. It's madness.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by mekussa(m): 12:54pm On Nov 04, 2020
shadowprimezero:
Really dangerous news coming out of Ethiopia. Potential civil war brewing....

Ethiopia and Rwanda......
Countries ruled by STRONGMEN masquerading as democrats.
I knew the Ethiopian prime minister was not going to comfortably share power with any party. It might not lead to civil war though. The military of Ethiopia has lots of experience with BRUTAL SUPPRESSION of dissenting voices.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by africatv: 1:23pm On Nov 04, 2020
Ethiopia deploys military to volatile northern region
Ethiopia has deployed the military to the northernmost region of Tigray, in response to a deadly attack on an army base over the weekend that escalated a long-running dispute between ethnic groups in the East African country.
http://en.hausatv.com/news/content/20630
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 1:45pm On Nov 04, 2020
Toju200:
Impressive...

For me the beauty stakes belong to the Paramount Mbombe 4.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (2217) (2218) (2219) (2220) (2221) (2222) (2223) ... (2853) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: slimthugchimee2(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.