Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,976 members, 7,863,481 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:37 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (773) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6034257 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (770) (771) (772) (773) (774) (775) (776) ... (2854) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 7:42pm On Nov 19, 2016
jln115:

What happened to the single Chinook NAF had??

US never wanted the deal during Babangida's regime.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Fynline(m): 7:47pm On Nov 19, 2016
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 19, 2016
iblawi:

US never wanted the deal during Babangida's regime.
yeah i know! grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 19, 2016
frumentius:

It was brought to the NAF for evaluation purposes, during Babangida's time if I'm not mistaken. Nigeria was on the brink of ordering 5 of the type I think, but their perilous economic situation at the time saw their creditors putting the kibosh on the deal.
Yeah i know!! grin grin grin What i actually wanted to know is were the fvck their single Chinook is!
I mean its a pretty big helicopter, not something you easily misplace!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 19, 2016
61mech:
CIA supplied landy with a 106mm RC gun.
UNITA not 61Mech

aahh thanks!!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:42pm On Nov 19, 2016
jln115:

Yeah i know!! grin grin grin What i actually wanted to know is were the fvck their single Chinook is!
I mean its a pretty big helicopter, not something you easily misplace!

Did they ever own it? My understanding was they gave it back after the prospective deal was nixed.

Where's Henry when you need him?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 8:49pm On Nov 19, 2016
Hrmnn:
@africaken254:

For those interested, these wrecked/captured Elands depicted in africaken254's post can still be found at Ebo, Angola. One of them has been towed to Luanda and received a cosmetic restoration; it is now at the national Angolan military museum.

The cosmetic restorations made are nothing but perfect. I'm impressed.... Also love the cammo pattern on the Eland wink
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 19, 2016
frumentius:

Did they ever own it? My understanding was they gave it back after the prospective deal was nixed.

Aahh could be possible, but I remember Henry240 saying it IS a NAF helicopter on beegeagle once.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nok234: 9:47pm On Nov 19, 2016
[quote author=lionel4power post=51175267]

Relax mate, we in Nigeria know all the tricks used by france.

Dont say all the tricks some of them ok
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:25pm On Nov 19, 2016
ActivateKruger:

How useful could a Chinook or its equivalent be in our own Air Force provided we had a budget for it?

We definitely could use a heavy helicopter, budget allowing. As it is, we can't transport all of 6SAI for an air assault mission without pulling every available Oryx. Plus, it'd be fun to develop doctrine for Chinook employment though cool.

More immediate, the pending retirement of Oryx is around the corner, and there's radio silence as to its replacement. Like so many other projects, we missed the chance to develop Oryx 2. Frankly, I don't think our budget situation will have improved such that we'll afford a Euro or Yank replacement for the Oryx. Not my preference but we might have to settle for Mil MI-17s tailored for our conditions, on which Paramount has extensive experience. 3 for the price of 1 BlackHawk and of the Euros, the Airbus H225M Caracal apparently has the same hot and high performance as the Oryx which defeats the purpose. Based on our experience with the A129, I don't think we'd go for the Agusta Merlin.

Of course, if ever a link were found between rhino poachers and ISIS or Al-Qaeda, that nice Mr Trump would do for us like Egypt/Tunisia and get us favourable terms on the BlackHawk grin grin grin.

The only way we'd replace Oryx with a western bird would be a radical turn-around in our economic fortunes, or changing our procurement practices. With a lot of platforms I think the time has come when we build up to full strength gradually by buying say 2 per year.
Arms Deal type acquisitions are a thing of the past for the foreseeable future.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 10:59pm On Nov 19, 2016
ActivateKruger:

How useful could a Chinook or its equivalent be in our own Air Force provided we had a budget for it?

Supporting light forces during rapid response missions: Light artillery, Airborne assault infantry reinforcements, Helping vehicles cross obstacles( Eg Rivers), Communications support etc

The SANDF needs the capability to airlift an entire paratroopers battalion with fixed wing aircraft at a single wave.

That must also be the case with the Airborne assault infantry chaps.

I believe if we were to fight against a well organized enemy(conventional force) in areas like the DRC it would always be easy for them to break contact.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:25pm On Nov 19, 2016
jln115:
@Henry

ActivateKruger:
How Henry240 feels right now cheesy

tdayof:

grin grin Henry Hi, Henry condition now is like putting bone in front of a chained dog cheesy

frumentius:

I'm sure he's chomping at the bit to jump in.

Who has AugustineReincarnate not trolled today with his nonsense?

TrueHeart365:
@Henry viewing this thread while serving his bangrin

guys, please. show some restraint. it's a waste of time arguing over someone's personal opinions

Bitches!!! grin grin

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by slimthugchimee2(m): 11:29pm On Nov 19, 2016
Henry240:

Bitches!!!

Haha grin too late, the shows over grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:40pm On Nov 19, 2016
NAF AIR WAR COLLEGE – HMOD INAUGURATES PIONEER COURSE

The Honourable Minister of Defence (HMOD), Muhammad Mansur Dan-Ali today officially inaugurated the newly established Air War College (AWC) by the Nigerian Air Force in Makurdi. The pioneer participants comprise 19 Group Captains, 7 Wing Commander and 2 Commanders from the Nigerian Navy. As a forerunner of the National Defence Course, the objective of the Air War Course is to develop in participants the operational knowledge of airpower and its application. Speaking at the inauguration ceremony, the HMOD, who was represented by the Chief of Defence, Gen Abayomi Olonishakin expressed the optimism about the ability of the College to impact in the participants the requisite knowledge that would enable them proffer feasible solutions to challenges associated with air operations. Highlight of the ceremony was the unveiling of the College logo with the motto “Professionalism and Leadership”.

Meanwhile, the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Mshl Sadique Abubakar has availed himself the opportunity offered by the inauguration ceremony to undertake operational visit of 33 Logistics Group and 64 Air Defence Group – The Home of Tigers (The F7Ni Fighter Pilots). The CAS also used the opportunity to commission a block of 10 units of one-bedroom apartment newly built for the use of resource fellows at the Air War College.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:41pm On Nov 19, 2016

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 11:41pm On Nov 19, 2016
BREAKING NEWS: The US will be transferring 7 F16s from the united stated Thunderbird aerobatic team to the Nigerian Airforce.
Delivery is expected to commence from December 25-30 2016.

Sorry it's just a dream.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:42pm On Nov 19, 2016

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:43pm On Nov 19, 2016

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:47pm On Nov 19, 2016
MINUSMA Mali

Troops from Niger Republic

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:49pm On Nov 19, 2016
South African navy

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:31am On Nov 20, 2016
frumentius:

We never owned the Chinook helicopter. The initial intent was to get 6 units, however, the economy tanked, and sanctions set in.

I'm glad we didn't pursue the Chinook option, it would have been a waste of money.

That solitary Chinook was brought in for evaluation, nothing happened afterwards.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 1:18am On Nov 20, 2016
tdayof:
BREAKING NEWS: The US will be transferring 7 F16s from the united stated Thunderbird aerobatic team to the Nigerian Airforce.
Delivery is expected to commence from December 25-30 2016.

Sorry it's just a dream.
kneel down and close ur eyes grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:46am On Nov 20, 2016
Model DJI used by Nigerian troops and special forces in combat operations.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 2:32am On Nov 20, 2016
Odunayaw:
kneel down and close ur eyes grin
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 2:37am On Nov 20, 2016

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 2:40am On Nov 20, 2016
Nigeria suffered financially during the first intervention in Liberia in 1990. It was always in search of financial
support from other ECOWAS members for the mission. Nigeria established an “endowment fund” for the
operation with an initial amount of 50 million dollars being proposed. This fund received no contributions.
Generally, assistance from other sources was slow in coming. Eventually ECOWAS member states that
contributed troops threatened to withdraw from the force for lack of funding. This situation caused Nigeria to
single-handedly provide substantial financial support for further ECOMOG operations.

africaken254, I hope you can see this? So stop complaining.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 2:46am On Nov 20, 2016
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 7:40am On Nov 20, 2016
frumentius:

We definitely could use a heavy helicopter, budget allowing. As it is, we can't transport all of 6SAI for an air assault mission without pulling every available Oryx. Plus, it'd be fun to develop doctrine for Chinook employment though cool.

More immediate, the pending retirement of Oryx is around the corner, and there's radio silence as to its replacement. Like so many other projects, we missed the chance to develop Oryx 2. Frankly, I don't think our budget situation will have improved such that we'll afford a Euro or Yank replacement for the Oryx. Not my preference but we might have to settle for Mil MI-17s tailored for our conditions, on which Paramount has extensive experience. 3 for the price of 1 BlackHawk and of the Euros, the Airbus H225M Caracal apparently has the same hot and high performance as the Oryx which defeats the purpose. Based on our experience with the A129, I don't think we'd go for the Agusta Merlin.

Of course, if ever a link were found between rhino poachers and ISIS or Al-Qaeda, that nice Mr Trump would do for us like Egypt/Tunisia and get us favourable terms on the BlackHawk grin grin grin.

The only way we'd replace Oryx with a western bird would be a radical turn-around in our economic fortunes, or changing our procurement practices. With a lot of platforms I think the time has come when we build up to full strength gradually by buying say 2 per year.
Arms Deal type acquisitions are a thing of the past for the foreseeable future.

Maybe getting 2 Eurocopter EC725 per year would do then enlarge the fuel tanks like the Oryx to give it longer range... As you said, days of large arms acquisition are over and they tend to attract so much unnecessary media attention while the red-barret opposition party demands freebies.

As for the Russian equipment = poor-man's army.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 20, 2016
ActivateKruger:

Maybe getting 2 Eurocopter EC725 per year would do then enlarge the fuel tanks like the Oryx to give it longer range... As you said, days of large arms acquisition are over and they tend to attract so much unnecessary media attention while the red-barret opposition party demands freebies.

....And this folks, is clearly the most ignorant comment to grace this thread, this 2016.

According to the fountain of flowing wisdom, India with a defence budget of $35 billion dollars, Algeria with $11 billion dollars and Vietnam with $6 billion are poor men armies.

Just drolling in Ignorance.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 8:10am On Nov 20, 2016
Henry240:

....And this folks, is clearly the most ignorant comment to grace this thread, this 2016.

According to the fountain of flowing wisdom, India with a defence budget of $35 billion dollars and Algeria with $11 billion dollars a poor men armies.

Just drolling in Ignorance.

You're the one who's ignorant here.

Guys who often buy Russian equipment want more for less, they wouldn't normally afford better Western equipment.. $35 billion for defending 1+ billion people is actually a sign of poverty.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:16am On Nov 20, 2016
ActivateKruger:

You're the one who's ignorant here.

Guys who often buy Russian equipment want more for less, they wouldn't normally afford better Western equipment.. $35 billion for defending 1+ billion people is actually a sign of poverty.

"Can this thread get anymore hilarious ?".gringringringringrin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 8:27am On Nov 20, 2016
ActivateKruger:

The EC725 will replace the Oryx on paper.

Cause Denel's old antelope out performs that bird. In SAAF operational environments the EC725 will be like Super Frelon promising a lot on paper but in reality the helicopter was equally matched in performance by later models of the Puma.

Large arms acquisition is the way forward or else will end up with multiple weapon systems serving the same purpose at different efficiencies. By large acquisition I don't mean arms deal type of acquisition where all needs are bundled into one deal.

But deals like the Badger IFV.

The best deal would for an international company partnering with Denel or Paramount and offer a highly modified bird. The A109's performance is disappointing.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (770) (771) (772) (773) (774) (775) (776) ... (2854) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.