Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,098 members, 7,818,284 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia (14136 Views)

Dr. Ifeanyi Ubah Joins Rotary International To Support Humanity (photos) / Human Rights Abuse: Ihejirika Replies Amnesty Internationa / Fashola Replies Peter Obi Over Alleged Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by malc619(m): 10:29am On Aug 13, 2013
Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia

Posted by: Channels Television Posted date: August 12, 2013 In: Headlines | comment : 1

[]The Lagos state governor, Babatunde Fasola, in a counter response to allegations made by Amnesty International has refuted claims that his administration is displacing some residents by pulling down their buildings.

A report by the organisation stated that an estimated 9,000 residents of Badia East lost their homes or livelihoods. However senior officials in the Lagos state government had claimed that the area was a rubbish dump.

According to Oluwatosin Popoola who is Amnesty International’s Nigeria researcher, “The effects of February’s forced eviction have been devastating for the Badia East community where dozens are still sleeping out in the open or under a nearby bridge exposed to rain, mosquitoes and at risk of physical attack”.

However, Governor Fashola countered Amnesty’s allegation that the government’s plan is to solve problems and ensure better living for residents.  “That is why I have committed to build 1,008 flats in Badiya, to take people out of living on the refuse heap.”

He added that his government has decided to pay attention to the community which had hitherto been ignored. “That place has been there since I was a child and we have carried on as if nothing happened”.

“The easiest thing to do is to take a bull-dozer and bulldoze a slum because governments don’t create slums, it is people who do.”

He added that his administration’s plan is to “bulldoze away your difficult conditions” by providing roads, drainages and primary healthcare centres.

www.channelstv.com/home/2013/08/12/fashola-replies-amnesty-international-to-build-1008-flats-in-badia/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by deeptesting(m): 10:46am On Aug 13, 2013
Hahahahaha what a funny and lame response from LASG...Now the question is if you have not rendered these people homeless and jobless where are they going to live while going about their daily activity that will put food down on the table for their families before the construction of better roads, health care center etc . After turning this slums to mega rich estate is it this same slum dwellers that will have access to the facilities you have mentioned? Fashola should visit Lateef Jakande to borrow a leaf from him on how to build government houses for the poor and not government houses for the rich....Your policies are Anti-poor period.

44 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by JohnFrankling(m): 10:56am On Aug 13, 2013
ok, he should build the flats first

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by CrimzP(m): 10:58am On Aug 13, 2013
He should have relocated them to a proper place before the demolition

7 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by Emmyk(m): 11:05am On Aug 13, 2013
Ok
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by Emmyk(m): 11:06am On Aug 13, 2013
Crimz-P:
He should have relocated them to a proper place before the demolition
to government house? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by homesteady(m): 11:16am On Aug 13, 2013
undecided and I guess the house rent would be nothing less than N200,000 undecided

1 Like

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by malc619(m): 11:22am On Aug 13, 2013
LASG isn't father Christmas. Why do people expect LASG to take care of miscreants and destitutes from the far-flung corners of Nigeria??

If Lagos life is too hard for you, go back to your village, start farming and start living like a human being.

Most of these people prefer to live like animals in Lagos than to live like a human in their states. Very pathetic..

cool

20 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by Capnd143(m): 11:25am On Aug 13, 2013
oga fashola, i am strongly beside you, nigeria needs sacrifice to move ahead
---
go and ask the chinese how their slums we demolised and how the slept under bridges, bt today the result is clear, the whole of china is turning to one hell of an android device, with 3d lighting, we must pay the price, if nigeria must grow

29 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by soloafe: 11:37am On Aug 13, 2013
this APC Are would have send all the poor from nigeria had they been in the federal government Nigerians shine ur eye. come 2015. and vote wisely

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by homesteady(m): 11:40am On Aug 13, 2013
malc619: LASG isn't father Christmas. Why do people expect LASG to take care of miscreants and destitutes from the far-flung corners of Nigeria??

If Lagos life is too hard for you, go back to your village, start farming and start living like a human being.

Most of these people prefer to live like animals in Lagos than to live like a human in their states. Very pathetic..

cool

The way some people spew trash amazes me!!
Then where should the poor lagosians go to?
Or is it non-indigenes that make up the most percentage of the poor people in lagos?

15 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by malc619(m): 11:46am On Aug 13, 2013
homesteady:

Or is it non-indigenes that make up the most percentage of the poor people in lagos?

Being poor isn't an excuse to constitute a nuisance to the environment of Lagos.

When did you start caring about poor Lagosians??

Just come get your destitute brothers and sisters off the streets of Lagos and let Lagos indigenes worry about their people..

grin grin

14 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by iresearcher(m): 11:50am On Aug 13, 2013
This is my argument.
I have a land somewhere in a city.I leave it unused for some time
You go to the land and erect shanties,slums etc.I come back several years after
and I ask you to leave because I now need my land to do something meaningful then you start
crying blue murder.
The truth be told, provided you did not buy the land and it is not your inheritance, you
do not have any claim to it whatsoever.
It amazes me how some organisations make noise out of nothing. Even outside of the country,
despite the fact that the land is yours or your inheritance, you are still told what and how to build
on it because there is a master plan. If you left your village without penny, what do you expect
in the city,inherit someones land or property?

Please lets use our brains before we make comments abeg.

50 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by Garrithe1st: 11:53am On Aug 13, 2013
iresearcher: This is my argument.
and I ask you to leave because I now need my land to do something meaningful then you start
crying blue murder.
The truth be told, provided you did not buy the land and it is not your inheritance, you
It amazes me how some organisations make noise out of nothing. Even outside of the country,
despite the fact that the land is yours or your inheritance, you are still told what and how to build
on it because there is a master plan. If you left your village without penny, what do you expect

You're a wise one....

cool

18 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by iresearcher(m): 11:53am On Aug 13, 2013
homesteady:

You talk of poor people. Is the land theirs? or because you are poor you should be given what is not yours.
You go erect shanties on a property that is not yours what do you expect. The same thing you see all over VI
on properties that are being erected. People go there and build shanties, so when the owners come to build,
they would stay and claim they are poor and no where to go. Did you fall from the Sky.

I ll only have a problem with what the govt. is doing if it is your fathers property and
you have the documents. Nobody SHOULD intimidate you in anyway, you can do whatever you like with it
but not on another mans property.

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by naijaswag1: 12:25pm On Aug 13, 2013
They said he is the most admired governor, they all believed.
With a single action, he pulled the rug off his feet to reveal the dirt hidden in the rug.
He is being heckled from all sides. No only his countrymen but the international community have reminded him of what a Holy man said some 2000 years ago that "you will always have the poor among you"
He did it to himself, it was not an anti-party gang up. The spiral effect of his singular action has destroyed some people's political ambition somewhere in the SE. He cannot even venture that zone because he will be deported on arrival, maybe he will never campaign there when he hopes to run for presidency.
He forgot the fundamentals of being a public figure.
The over 90% of poor people in this country now regard him as their enemy because he will not fail to displace them if he has his way in other to build mega cities.
If he becomes president, he will banish everyone who does not have a job, everyone who is poor to the countryside so he could build mega cities.
In Fact he hates national integration.

13 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by nerodenero: 12:26pm On Aug 13, 2013
crying blue murder.

You just made my day with this post and wish everybody could reason like this!

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 13, 2013
FASHOLA FOR PRESIDENT ABEG!!!!!! OR BREAK THE DAMN COUNTRY

1 Like

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by anonimi: 12:30pm On Aug 13, 2013
crying blue murder.

I wonder how this your argument will stand in the eyes of the relevant Nigerian laws on landed property.
How do you think those who FIRST claimed a particular piece of land did so?
For how many years can you continuously occupy land WITHOUT anyone challenging your OCCUPANCY for you to claim it as yours?

Maybe property lawyers can help out.

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by JideTheBlogger(m): 12:30pm On Aug 13, 2013
crying blue murder.

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by YoursGEJ(m): 12:30pm On Aug 13, 2013
Fashola dey use facts defend himself. If na my namesake now, e go say na political report abi witch hunt orchestrated to undermine his presidency

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by naijaswag1: 12:30pm On Aug 13, 2013
DivideUs: FASHOLA FOR PRESIDENT ABEG!!!!!! OR BREAK THE DAMN COUNTRY

They said he is the most admired governor, they all believed.
With a single action, he pulled the rug off his feet to reveal the dirt hidden in the rug.
He is being heckled from all sides. Not only his countrymen but the international community have reminded him of what a Holy Man said some 2000 years ago that "you will always have the poor among you"
He did it to himself, it was not an anti-party gang up. The spiral effect of his singular action has destroyed some people's political ambition somewhere in the SE. He cannot even venture that zone because he will be deported on arrival, maybe he will never campaign there when he hopes to run for presidency.
The over 90% of poor people in this country now regard him as their enemy because he will not fail to displace them if he has his way in other to build mega cities.
If he becomes president, he will banish everyone who does not have a job, everyone who is poor to the countryside so he could build mega cities.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by moodswing(m): 12:31pm On Aug 13, 2013
I hear something like this in Fashola's mind..

I hereby move that poor people should not be part of our decent society.

If they can't afford to pay toll, buy/rent a decent house, pay ridiculous taxes and STFU, then they are not qualified to be part of our great Lagos state and should give up the ghost or hug the transformer.

NONSENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Pro-Aggressive o'ni baje oooo

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by deeptesting(m): 12:32pm On Aug 13, 2013
crying blue murder.

Young man nobody is laying claim to the purported land and nobody is saying slums should not be developed, what we are saying is government responsibility towards its poor citizens who lives in slums...keep your bigotry at home and don't bring it to a public forum, you think everyone in the slums of Lagos are non-indigenes? We also have Lagosians living in slums...drop your myopic view of issues and embrace looking at matters from a wholistic perspective as it affects Nigerians.

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by Delafruita(m): 12:34pm On Aug 13, 2013
naija_swag: They said he is the most admired governor, they all believed.
He is being heckled from all sides. No only his countrymen but the international community have reminded of what a Holy man said some 2000 years ago that "you will always have the poor among you"
leaders have to make tough calls but dont assume they made such calls without thinking it through.like truman said about the A-bomb,deciding was the hardest part of the process.there are numerous places in lagos where fashola didnt reclaim government land.rather he asked the occupiers to come for ratification,but when government has committed a land to a project,it has to make use of it sooner or later.its wrong to say government should forgo the interest of the many simply because some people are poor.i understand the plight of the poor,however,if government had to cave everytime matters like this arise,i doubt they'd ever achieve anything.the law is clear,all lands belong to government to use as it deems fit.if the occupiers can provide claim of ownership on said land,then its a different issue.but we dont expect government to relinquish ownership of a land it has committed to a purpose simply because its occupied by people who have nowhere else to go

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by Yorubest: 12:34pm On Aug 13, 2013
It's Don Fashy again

When you hear the kick

Enemies can hate but we don't have time for emotions and frivolities

We are born to industrialize our region

We are born to develop our land

We are born to build and build we will until every slum created by invaders become model cities for Yorubas and developed humans world over to inhabit and work

7 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by Youngzedd(m): 12:34pm On Aug 13, 2013
Building the flat isn't the problem, but the rate those that will occupy it will pay.

Fashola like money pass Igbo man. Lets watch and see the outcome.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by KGB2008: 12:35pm On Aug 13, 2013
We plan ,we plan,keep procrastinating.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by Afroconnect: 12:35pm On Aug 13, 2013
Fashola build mass housing estates for the youths in Lekki,Ikeja and mainland areas of the state.accommodation is so expensive.if the youths can get nice miniflats in Lekki axis for 200thousand naira a year I think it will help and as well compete with the Landlords.pls build storey buildings for upcoming youths-these landlords are ripping us or you want us to live with our parents forever.
The only buildings I see are for the rich or those with rich parents or girls hussling rich old corrupt politicians.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by Delafruita(m): 12:36pm On Aug 13, 2013
deeptesting:

Young man nobody is laying claim to the purported land and nobody is saying slums should not be developed, what we are saying is government responsibility towards its poor citizens who lives in slums...keep your bigotry at home and don't bring it to a public forum, you think everyone in the slums of Lagos are non-indigenes? We also have Lagosians living in slums...drop your myopic view of issues and embrace looking at matters from a wholistic perspective as it affects Nigerians.
government definitely has a responsibility to the poor but that responsibility does not include relinquishing its land to them to create slums of.it doesnt matter if they are indigenes or not

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by dasparrow: 12:36pm On Aug 13, 2013
malc619: LASG isn't father Christmas. Why do people expect LASG to take care of miscreants and destitutes from the far-flung corners of Nigeria??

cool

Please don't make this a tribe issue. Are the beggars, the poor and the destitute living in Lagos all from other parts of Nigeria ONLY? I am getting tired of all this unnecessary tribalism you people display here on Nairaland but when Nigerians get treated like crap overseas, you people will want to complain. I am sure you have poor people who are Lagos indigenes living in those slums too or are Lagos indigines all rich? I know Gov Fashola means well but he should have temporarily moved the people somewhere more habitable until the flats are completed.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

TCN Workers Resist Fashola's Removal Of MD, Abubakar Atiku / Ndi Igbo May Regret Constant Attack On Yoruba - Their Only Reliable Supporter / I Would’ve Escaped 11-year Trial For N4.7bn Fraud If I Had Joined APC —ladoja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.