Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,138 members, 7,818,427 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ (24842 Views)

Mode9 Is Not The Dopest Rapper In Nigera. / M.i.'s Emancipation - Should Mode9 And Ruggedman Hang Their Boots? / Germs: Mode9's Diss Trak2hiphop Sellouts Rugged N Sauce? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Glamourogo(m): 3:03pm On Aug 14, 2013
Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘Type Of Rap’. Babatunde Olusegun a.k.a mode 9 went all emotional on hotfm’s breakfast radio show with TuTu Adeoba and Cheezy Charles on his type of non-commercial rap, he re-affirms that he can never change his type of rap to suit an audience and decries neglect on his type of rap’

‘I put out a whole album nobody cared’
‘A whole 20 track album ‘alphabetical order’ nobody gave a f**k’
‘You see how the industry is’ how do you expect me to feel?
‘Nigerians don’t like hip hop they only follow the hype, they don’t even know what it is’
I only cater for my real fans; I don’t really care about the fair weather, band wagon jumpers
‘I cater for my fans and they are feeling it’ i have put up too much effort in promotion of my materials’
‘It’s just some certain people in their minds feeling that am not doing well’

Who then are these few people Mode 9 is referring to?

http://glamourogo..com/2013/08/mode9-cries-out-on-neglect-of-his-type.html

7 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Swiftboy(m): 3:21pm On Aug 14, 2013
Welcome to Nigeria where wack music is the order of the day! People sing rubbish pay radio stations and d.js to promote it.People like mode9 should just continue giving us creativity before people get tired of the trend.

40 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by tjskii(f): 3:46pm On Aug 14, 2013
Abeggy mak I hear,na creativity we wan chop,all we need is music to shake our bumbumz to in da club,mode9 had better conform or starve grin

11 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Swiftboy(m): 11:15pm On Aug 14, 2013
tjskii: Abeggy mak I hear,na creativity we wan chop,all we need is music to shake our bumbumz to in da club,mode9 had better conform or starve grin
point of correction,what you want! What you need is not only shake your bumbum;you also need motivation and inspirational songs.

30 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Airforce1(m): 11:19pm On Aug 14, 2013
I'm not a fan of rap music..

so nothing concern even if he cry from now till tomorow

2 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Nuzo1(m): 11:49pm On Aug 14, 2013
I love and patronize your music. However, most Nigerians don't always have the energy to be listening to songs with big grammar...and when they garner the energy, they go for Talib, common, Mos Def and even Nas.
So, instead of the big grammar thing...they deecided to pitch tent with the likes of Phyno the Fino, Olamide, Raw, Ajasa and co. These guys rap about almost everything you rap about. Difference is they do it with understandable languages.

And sir, if you are too proud to go a bit commercial....at least do more of that kind of 'CRY' song. It worked!

28 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Swiftboy(m): 4:42am On Aug 15, 2013
Nuzo':
I love and patronize your music. However, most Nigerians don't always have the energy to be listening to songs with big grammar...and when they garner the energy, they go for Talib, common, Mos Def and even Nas.
So, instead of the big grammar thing...they deecided to pitch tent with the likes of Phyno the Fino, Olamide, Raw, Ajasa and co. These guys rap about almost everything you rap about. Difference is they do it with understandable languages.

And sir, if you are too proud to go a bit commercial....at least do more of that kind of 'CRY' song. It worked!
Thats a point right there but I think all art should be given a airing...In other countries,different genres of music are promoted.why cant we do the same in naija.All we want is shake our bumbum all the time,nothing else.Thats not good enough.

9 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 15, 2013
Dude must be a clown. If you're in the music BUSINESS, does it not make sense to give consumers what THEY want? How can a businessman force consumers to buy what HE likes?

I find all this condescending "commercial" tag on successful music extremely irritating and ridiculous. Art is art, not science, which means that there is no definite measure of 'good', 'better', or 'best' art. It is all subjective, and I dare say the more commercially successful art is, the 'better' it is, since it is a matter of aggregative subjectivity. If most consumers of music find particular kinds of songs appealing, then it is silly for you as a musician to complain about that, if your offering does not apeal to the market.

59 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Swiftboy(m): 9:40am On Aug 15, 2013
@PRO I disagree with you partially...in the long run,its the industry that choose for the music fans.The psychology of music is such that people want to follow a certain trend...whats promoted,what they hear on the radio.The industry lacks dept,the substance.Its becoming boring! People also need to hear artiste's tots and ideas.If our music does not make sense then its useless.I'll want the music to be diversified! Let us hear mode9's lyrics too,maybe it'll inspire us than rejecting it like shit because of meaningless commercials!

13 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Nobody: 12:57pm On Aug 15, 2013
Swiftboy: @PRO I disagree with you partially...in the long run,its the industry that choose for the music fans.The psychology of music is such that people want to follow a certain trend...whats promoted,what they hear on the radio.The industry lacks depth, the substance.Its becoming boring! People also need to hear artiste's tots and ideas.If our music does not make sense then its useless.I'll want the music to be diversified! Let us hear mode9's lyrics too,maybe it'll inspire us than rejecting it like shit because of meaningless commercials!

As defined by who? These things are all subjective. Haba. Depth, substance, meaning, etc. are all subjective and mean different things to different people. In any case, music serves different purposes to different people. Not everyone wants to 'learn' or be 'inspired' by music. Some simply want to be entertained, and you can't define entertainment by your own standards, neither can you force your own idea of 'meaning' on someone else. It's a free-market economy out there, and people would patronise what appeals to them. Simple.

There is no need for Mode9 to whine about the failure of his kind of rap in the Nigerian market, he can't blame the market for that. He can keep making music for his 'niche' audience, or find a way of extending his appeal to the larger market. The ball is in his court.

16 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Lepatohset(f): 2:10pm On Aug 15, 2013
They say he's the best rapper in naija, yet no one gives a F. He should better try something simpler all dat grammar sheet don't work in dis part of the word. E go just dy waste money sing better song wey ppl nobody go buy. Who cares if he talks about real issues, we want fast medicine to our probs, where i can dance away my sorrow or listen to better r 'n' b from Praiz, waje, etc. See d way hes spitting it out like he's done us favour.. He should better go commercial gragra o she and stop acting like some old man who don't move with trend.

1 Like

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by SirButty: 3:45pm On Aug 15, 2013
i mean, the guy wears timberlands, post 30yrs, nah.

theres a simple fact: In Nigeria, we dont have the so-called hip hop, rap game, all-that-jazz u hear on MTV and source magazine culture etc. we simply want gbedu!! all the rappers in naija used flowing choruses we can rock to, we DONT CARE ABOUT THE BARS YOU SPIT!! we may hail u when arguing with friends (like manchester vs chelsea) but thats the best we will do. if we feel we need some rap bars to inspire us, we like u, start playing KRS-1. turn it off after 2 songs. even in yankee, bubble gum rap and easy flows rake in the dough, while some ol guys be saying back-in-the-day...blah, blah, blah. even ice-T don de do reality show.

two choices, go commercial quickly or descend in oblivion. my advice, get your limpopo on!

3 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by dplomaticVal: 8:44pm On Aug 15, 2013
two things are involved.it's either he ports to commercial or die cryin

7 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Swiftboy(m): 10:40pm On Aug 15, 2013
@PRO Am never against commercials mind you,my point is we need to strike the ballance.Truth be told some people out there find the commercials rather irritating.we should consider them as well.I LOVE TO DANCE,I want hardcore rap as well.Music is for moods and seasons, why discourage people that feels they have their contribution! Think about that!

1 Like

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Nuzo1(m): 10:31am On Aug 17, 2013
Swiftboy:
Thats a point right there but I think all art should be given a airing...In other countries,different genres of music are promoted.why cant we do the same in naija.All we want is shake our bumbum all the time,nothing else.Thats not good enough.

All genres of music should be given airing time? Why?
Are radio stations, Djs and music promoters running a charity organisation?

Listen, as much as music promoters has an influence on how certain songs are accepted in the society...its very minute. None will be willing to loose his audience cos of the likes of Mode9.

Now, who are their audience? Danfo drivers, hawkers, mechanics, wizkid wannabe, traders and tomatoe sellers (be aware that this group of people are majority of the population). Then imagine tunning in to coolFm and having some dude rap all day with big grammar.

CoolFm will shut down in a week!

12 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by thegoodjoehunt(m): 3:44pm On Aug 17, 2013
Mode should continue his stuff but find a way to bring the music in. Also he shouldn't always go too hard. Didn't he enjoy himself with Tuface? He shouldn borrow a leaf from Ill Bliss' rhymebook and study Aye Po Gan.

2 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by kay29000(m): 5:41pm On Aug 17, 2013
The main thing is that the majority of Nigerians are very shallow minded (no offence to people in this category), and he can't force them to listen to what they don't understand. They would rather listen to shallow dance music that they can relate to, and dance away their sorrows to. And then, the small portion of the population that actually listen to 'Mode 9 type of music' don't spend money on buying music. They can spend all day on nairaland saying Mode 9 is the best rapper, but when Mode's album drops, they would either download it illegally or borrow from a friend. So, how is modenine meant to survive?

And another issue is that, Mode is too rigid and one way. I am a hip hop head, and have been listening to rap music since 1994. Even if you look at the greats like Biggie, Nas, Tupac, Jay Z, and Eminem, they were super skilled, but they also make music people can relate to. They didn't have to water down their lyrics, but they just made rap songs that could be played on radio. A lot of rappers like Mode 9 can rap their asses off, but can't make a song to save their life. Modenine can't make songs. It is the same formula...a head nodding hip hop beat, with crazy wordplay...the same formula for 22 tracks on an album. Come on!

12 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Abagworo(m): 5:59pm On Aug 17, 2013
Its the same world over. Modenine makes New York styled hip-hop while Southern styled hip-hop is the rave. He needs a style switch like Inyanya to achieve commercial success. He should sing with auto-tune and make dance music.
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by MrTAnonymous(m): 6:54pm On Aug 18, 2013
I like the dude.
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Brimmie(m): 6:55pm On Aug 18, 2013
[size=20]Modo Baba.. Pls Let It Go[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by coogar: 6:57pm On Aug 18, 2013
pro01: Dude must be a clown. If you're in the music BUSINESS, does it not make sense to give consumers what THEY want? How can a businessman force consumers to buy what HE likes?

I find all this condescending "commercial" tag on successful music extremely irritating and ridiculous. Art is art, not science, which means that there is no definite measure of 'good', 'better', or 'best' art. It is all subjective, and I dare say the more commercially successful art is, the 'better' it is, since it is a matter of aggregative subjectivity. If most consumers of music find particular kinds of songs appealing, then it is silly for you as a musician to complain about that, if your offering does not apeal to the market.

mode-9 is a complete idiöt....
let him continue to moan and not adapt to the market - the fact is, he's not even good at what he does. eminem does the same type of rap mode-9 is into but he's the most successful rapper out there in terms of album sales.

mode9 should sit down and think of a way his lyricism can appeal to nigerians. if the lyrics have substance, people would listen. if by chance they don't listen, he should relocate to countries where his type of music is appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Maximus85(m): 7:01pm On Aug 18, 2013
Glamourogo: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘Type Of Rap’. Babatunde Olusegun a.k.a mode 9 went all emotional on hotfm’s breakfast radio show with TuTu Adeoba and Cheezy Charles on his type of non-commercial rap, he re-affirms that he can never change his type of rap to suit an audience and decries neglect on his type of rap’

‘I put out a whole album nobody cared’
‘A whole 20 track album ‘alphabetical order’ nobody gave a f**k’
‘You see how the industry is’ how do you expect me to feel?
‘Nigerians don’t like hip hop they only follow the hype, they don’t even know what it is’
I only cater for my real fans; I don’t really care about the fair weather, band wagon jumpers
‘I cater for my fans and they are feeling it’ i have put up too much effort in promotion of my materials’
‘It’s just some certain people in their minds feeling that am not doing well’

Who then are these few people Mode 9 is referring to?

http://glamourogo..com/2013/08/mode9-cries-out-on-neglect-of-his-type.html

Olodo.... Even the american HardCore Hiphop rappers get dance tracks.... Tupac, Biggy, snoop Dog/Lion, Ice cube, Dmx, JayZ, Nas etc. Stay there and be blowing grammar. Hunger to turn u to Mode Zero.

Big ups to Olamide, MI, Naeto, Phynom, vector etc. They are making Money. Shyne ya eye oooo

3 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 18, 2013
A beg can someone summarize this nonsense
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Willgates(m): 7:04pm On Aug 18, 2013
modo,I wan't u to know that Nigerians love u more dan u think

1 Like

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Jamji: 7:07pm On Aug 18, 2013
Me i wan do country music, i go sell for 9ja now. right?

1 Like

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Dopestfiend: 7:07pm On Aug 18, 2013
The real hiphop heads still worship you like a diety. Nigerians are intellectually too backward for modo styles how do you expect the bunch of low lifers to comprehend scientific,historically,medical and space craft terminologies. Couple of other real music heads are broke ass in naija. It speaks volume why the nation is in the woods. Bumping my head to modos black rap messiah and let the sicktards keep listening to the wacksters.

14 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Jamji: 7:10pm On Aug 18, 2013
Please who has mode 9 "elbow room". Abeg help.
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Samxiulee: 7:11pm On Aug 18, 2013
kay29000: The main thing is that the majority of Nigerians are very shallow minded (no offence to people in this category), and he can't force them to listen to what they don't understand. They would rather listen to shallow dance music that they can relate to, and dance away their sorrows to. And then, the small portion of the population that actually listen to 'Mode 9 type of music' don't spend money on buying music. They can spend all day on nairaland saying Mode 9 is the best rapper, but when Mode's album drops, they would either download it illegally or borrow from a friend. So, how is modenine meant to survive?

And another issue is that, Mode is too rigid and one way. I am a hip hop head, and have been listening to rap music since 1994. Even if you look at the greats like Biggie, Nas, Tupac, Jay Z, and Eminem, they were super skilled, but they also make music people can relate to. They didn't have to water down their lyrics, but they just made rap songs that could be played on radio. A lot of rappers like Mode 9 can rap their asses off, but can't make a song to save their life. Modenine can't make songs. It is the same formula...a head nodding hip hop beat, with crazy wordplay...the same formula for 22 tracks on an album. Come on!
you just hit the nail on the head,I was wondering what he meant by the fact that we can't understand his lyrics,as much as I love him,I would advice he understudy the likes of eminem,jay_z,a perfect understudy will be kanye his lyrics are sometimes deep,conscious and he knows how to turn them to songs,he shouldn't be too rigid like nas,even Olamide lyrics are good he knows how to make them funny and turn them to a good song.be doesn't need to change his lyrics he should work on his deliveries,this is 2013 not 1988.

7 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Dopestfiend: 7:12pm On Aug 18, 2013
Lepatohset: They say he's the best rapper in naija, yet no one gives a F. He should better try something simpler all dat grammar sheet don't work in dis part of the word. E go just dy waste money sing better song wey ppl nobody go buy. Who cares if he talks about real issues, we want fast medicine to our probs, where i can dance away my sorrow or listen to better r 'n' b from Praiz, waje, etc. See d way hes spitting it out like he's done us favour.. He should better go commercial gragra o she and stop acting like some old man who don't move with trend.

no need trying to join issues with y'all couple of ninnies just go get the video of the last bet cypher. And go see how modo make all your best nigerian rappers look like couple of apprentice rappers.

1 Like

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by coogar: 7:13pm On Aug 18, 2013
Dopestfiend: The real hiphop heads still worship you like a diety. Nigerians are intellectually too backward for modo styles how do you expect the bunch of low lifers to comprehend scientific,historically,medical and space craft terminologies. Couple of other real music heads are broke ass in naija. It speaks volume why the nation is in the woods. Bumping my head to modos black rap messiah and let the sicktards keep listening to the wacksters.

this is a big lie.....
fact is, mode-9 is not even good at what he does. i can humbly say there are about 5 million fans of hardcore rap in nigeria and if 10% of that figure buys mode-9's albums, he should be fine.

however, mode-9 cannot make good music. his lyrics are confusing. he makes a lot of errors. that he's the only one in nigeria driving underground rap does not mean he's excellent at it. most nigerians would rather buy nas albums than mode-9's albums.

2 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Jayses(m): 7:13pm On Aug 18, 2013
J
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by SLIDiE(m): 7:14pm On Aug 18, 2013
Bros 9, listen up:

This is naija! Ok?
We aint disputing we stole hip hop, but biliv me, we made it better. I love it this way.

Sorry, am ur fan but i ant buyin ur album!

U're doing it fine but u aint gonna sell!!

Am a die hard fan of hip hop, but i love the way we modified it to suit us.
Dude, the only hip hop artistes i knw are tupac, dre, snoop, eminem, ludacris, busta, dmx, 50 and maybe biggie. When these people do hip hop, they give u a beat to dance to!

Even those Naija DJs dt i knw don switch to scratching naija music. Who listens to the american craps anyway?
U wanna tell me lil wayne, niki and those kids now do hip hop?

I can include jadakiss, master p, ice cube, LL. Cool jay, outlaws and naugty by natures in ma list of hip hop artise.

But truth be told 9, u rap like d old mo P and wen they did deja vu. Nice song then though!

So, u either join us here, or leave us!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Why Does It Not Matter When It’s Davido? / Burna Boy Bags Grammy Award Nomination For Best Album. / Remembering Dr Sir Warrior: Oriental Brothers- Nwanne Awu Enyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.