Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,588 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ - Music/Radio (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ (24840 Views)

Mode9 Is Not The Dopest Rapper In Nigera. / M.i.'s Emancipation - Should Mode9 And Ruggedman Hang Their Boots? / Germs: Mode9's Diss Trak2hiphop Sellouts Rugged N Sauce? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 19, 2013
I watched the BET Cipher and I personally think he's naija's best rapper by a mile. The only person close to him is Godwon. if you don't know Godwon, you need to go check that guy out. I have all his mixtapes from like 2004 when he was based in Houston, and he was "Houston's Best Kept Secret."

As for the other naija rappers including M.I - they're all trash. Nigerians need to stop rapping and stick to party tunes. undecided

1 Like

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by mbulela: 8:21am On Aug 19, 2013
Nuzo':
I love and patronize your music. However, most Nigerians don't always have the energy to be listening to songs with big grammar...and when they garner the energy, they go for Talib, common, Mos Def and even Nas.
So, instead of the big grammar thing...they deecided to pitch tent with the likes of Phyno the Fino, Olamide, Raw, Ajasa and co. These guys rap about almost everything you rap about. Difference is they do it with understandable languages.

And sir, if you are too proud to go a bit commercial....at least do more of that kind of 'CRY' song. It worked!
Even the CRY song was not original. Go and listen to a similar track by Zola,the kwaito artiste.
I accept that his music is not very commercial but dude is not even as good as his lousy ego makes him believe. Just that their is so much dross and mediocrity in Nigeria music else no one will be talking about him. He is just a slightly above average rapper with very poor delivery.
His complaint also does not hold water as MI before all this his Chairman rubbish was able to put out tracks that were both commercial and made sense. It must not be one or the other. A very good artiste can do both. It just needs hard work and strategy.
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Nobody: 8:24am On Aug 19, 2013
shymexx: I watched the BET Cipher and I personally think he's naija's best rapper by a mile. The only person close to him is Godwon. if you don't know Godwon, you need to go check that guy out. I have all his mixtapes from like 2004 when he was based in Houston, and he was "Houston's Best Kept Secret."

As for the other naija rappers including M.I - they're all trash. Nigerians need to stop rapping and stick to party tunes. undecided
Yeah Godwon! Omoele, too much money, hennesy in my tummy, forgive them(morell), bla bla bla ive heard many Godwon tracks! But guy have u heard any track on the illegal music 2?

Np. MI ft hench & boogey - ridiculous
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Sike(m): 8:49am On Aug 19, 2013
Sorry Mode 9, but if you can't beat them, you know what to do - join them!
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 19, 2013
those looking for inspiration should turn to Reggae....... Music of the wise
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by ini4brandon(m): 9:02am On Aug 19, 2013
Swiftboy: @PRO Am never against commercials mind you,my point is we need to strike the ballance.Truth be told some people out there find the commercials rather irritating.we should consider them as well.I LOVE TO DANCE,I want hardcore rap as well.Music is for moods and seasons, why discourage people that feels they have their contribution! Think about that!
its all about balance it wont hurt if mode9 throws in one or two gbedu tracks in his albulms. MI followsabi grammer but he manages to strike a balance and goes home with the cash. MODE 9 should do more of the 'CRY' kinda song it was epic.
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by orvik(m): 9:04am On Aug 19, 2013
Change is the only constant thing in life. Since his style of rap is gradually fading away, he should adjust his style to suit whats in invoke and stop whinning.
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by ejifranks(m): 9:09am On Aug 19, 2013
Give them what they wanna hear and not what you wanna hear and booooooom u make it bigg!!!!!! Mode 9 u feel me?
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by MrAboki: 9:20am On Aug 19, 2013
Somebody should please explain to Mode 9 that Nigerian Music of Today is still very much in the clubs.. All that 'deep lyrics', 'metaphors', e.t.c aint none of our business. All we wanna do is; Get High, Dance and go fvck that girl we took to the club. Aint nobody got time to be like 'O! Snaps, Mode 9 just killed that beat with his deep rhymes'..

If we cant dance like this to your songs;

Then we aint digging yo shiit...

Mode 9 has to put up with the likes of M.I, Jesse Jags, Phyno and co who do more commercial rap that Nigerians wanna hear. Their rap style is easier on the ear when compared to yours.

I'm sorry hommie, but thats just the way it is..

D.J abeg repeat that Terry G song.. You can only run, run, run pass Terry G, If you run mad.. grin .. grin

1 Like

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by mindtricks: 9:20am On Aug 19, 2013
mbulela:
Even the CRY song was not original. Go and listen to a similar track by Zola,the kwaito artiste.
I accept that his music is not very commercial but dude is not even as good as his lousy ego makes him believe. Just that their is so much dross and mediocrity in Nigeria music else no one will be talking about him. He is just a slightly above average rapper with very poor delivery.
His complaint also does not hold water as MI before all this his Chairman rubbish was able to put out tracks that were both commercial and made sense. It must not be one or the other. A very good artiste can do both. It just needs hard work and strategy.
tru talk bro. Still mode fan tho.
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by bigiyaro(m): 9:20am On Aug 19, 2013
As far as am concerned, mode9 is the only one true rapper in Naija n Africa for that matter.
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by mikeapollo: 9:26am On Aug 19, 2013
Mode9's comments is a subtle admission that further confirms what some people have been saying about Nigerian music scene in the last 3 years or so.....The effect of Ghanaian-style music on Nigerian music scence

Just take a look at all the Nigerian rap musicians that are making waves now. Virtually of them have introduced a particular style of beat which makes their songs fast, danceable and good for both private listening and club jamz....The Azonto beat.

Olamide was the first to catch on the Azonto rap, and the thing was a big hit. His ''Firts of All, Go Down Low'' and ''Stupid Love'' tracks are Azonto-styled and they pulled a lot of fans to him because the tracks make people dance all long.1

People just want to listen to something that would make them dance at occassions or clubs. It is not about how good your grammsr or lyrics are. Just make us dance. And Azonto beat is the big dance thing now and it is also fun. Everybody is doing it now (eventhough some fakers attemoted to steal and rename it Alingo).

Even Ruggedman has joined the Azonto rap....I saw a clip of his collabo with Terry G......the beats and rhythmns are just like a typical Ghanaian Azonto rap!

Such easy and fun to dance songs or tracks will always be in demand at parties,club houses and radio stations. That is what is making Olamide and other musicians to be making waves. Just do a checklist of the rap and other former hiphop musicians that are using the Ghanaian azonto and hiplife beats.....they are the ones who are dominating the airwaves now.
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by mikeapollo: 9:26am On Aug 19, 2013
Mode9's comments is a subtle admission that further confirms what some people have been saying about Nigerian music scene in the last 3 years or so.....The effect of Ghanaian-style music on Nigerian music scence

Just take a look at all the Nigerian rap musicians that are making waves now. Virtually of them have introduced a particular style of beat which makes their songs fast, danceable and good for both private listening and club jamz....The Azonto beat.

Olamide was the first to catch on the Azonto rap, and the thing was a big hit. His ''Firts of All, Go Down Low'' and ''Stupid Love'' tracks are Azonto-styled and they pulled a lot of fans to him because the tracks make people dance all long.1

People just want to listen to something that would make them dance at occassions or clubs. It is not about how good your grammsr or lyrics are. Just make us dance. And Azonto beat is the big dance thing now and it is also fun. Everybody is doing it now (eventhough some fakers attempted to steal and rename it Alingo).

Even Ruggedman has dumped his Mode9-style of rap and has joined the Azonto rap craze!....I saw a clip of his collabo with Terry G......the beats and rhythmns are just like a typical Ghanaian Azonto rap!

Such easy and fun to dance songs or tracks will always be in demand at parties,club houses and radio stations. That is what is making Olamide and other musicians to be making waves. Just do a checklist of the rap and other former hiphop musicians that are using the Ghanaian azonto and hiplife beats.....they are the ones who are dominating the airwaves now.
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by mbulela: 9:27am On Aug 19, 2013
bigiyaro: As far as am concerned, mode9 is the only one true rapper in Naija n Africa for that matter.
I respect your opinion,although it is in the minority. I don't think he is all that. Just slightly above average and hopelessly unable to diversify his writing skills.
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by mindtricks: 9:28am On Aug 19, 2013
Mr Aboki: Somebody should please explain to Mode 9 that Nigerian Music of Today is still very much in the clubs.. All that 'deep lyrics', 'metaphors', e.t.c aint none of our business. All we wanna do is; Get High, Dance and go fvck that girl we took to the club. Aint nobody got time to be like 'O! Snaps, Mode 9 just killed that beat with his deep rhymes'..

If we cant dance like this to your songs;

Then we aint digging yo shiit...

Mode 9 has to put up with the likes of M.I, Jesse Jags, Phyno and co who do more commercial rap that Nigerians wanna hear. Their rap style is easier on the ear when compared to yours.

I'm sorry hommie, but thats just the way it is..

D.J abeg repeat that Terry G song.. You can only run, run, run pass Terry G, If you run mad.. grin .. grin
Na witch kin dance b dat
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by MrAboki: 9:36am On Aug 19, 2013
mindtricks: Na witch kin dance b dat

After 2 bottles of Alomo, you go understand!!
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by sucess001(m): 9:40am On Aug 19, 2013
Imagine a yoruba singer singing yoruba and wonderin y americans are not buying his album.

Imagine another person saying the americans are not buying becos they are ntellectually wack.

Mode...if you cant produce a song to communicate with your peeps..then go back to music school...

2 Likes

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by dj5naira(m): 10:16am On Aug 19, 2013
Nuges11: Bros modo I respect you a lot, but the thing is you don't bring a gun to a pillow fight. I'm sure you'd have noticed that album sales don't really rake in the money anymore for Nigerian artists, shows and endorsements do. And when I go to a show I go there to unwind, not leave more confused than I was.

gringrin gringrin gringrin gringrin gringrin gringrin
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by CollinsLeSkillzMadumere(m): 10:20am On Aug 19, 2013
pro01:

As defined by who? These things are all subjective. Haba. Depth, substance, meaning, etc. are all subjective and mean different things to different people. In any case, music serves different purposes to different people. Not everyone wants to 'learn' or be 'inspired' by music. Some simply want to be entertained, and you can't define entertainment by your own standards, neither can you force your own idea of 'meaning' on someone else. It's a free-market economy out there, and people would patronise what appeals to them. Simple.

There is no need for Mode9 to whine about the failure of his kind of rap in the Nigerian market, he can't blame the market for that. He can keep making music for his 'niche' audience, or find a way of extending his appeal to the larger market. The ball is in his court.
I agree with you, I think sound sultan adhered to this.
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by dj5naira(m): 10:42am On Aug 19, 2013
Glamourogo: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘Type Of Rap’. Babatunde Olusegun a.k.a mode 9 went all emotional on hotfm’s breakfast radio show with TuTu Adeoba and Cheezy Charles on his type of non-commercial rap, he re-affirms that he can never change his type of rap to suit an audience and decries neglect on his type of rap’

‘I put out a whole album nobody cared’
‘A whole 20 track album ‘alphabetical order’ nobody gave a f**k’
‘You see how the industry is’ how do you expect me to feel?
‘Nigerians don’t like hip hop they only follow the hype, they don’t even know what it is’
I only cater for my real fans; I don’t really care about the fair weather, band wagon jumpers
‘I cater for my fans and they are feeling it’ i have put up too much effort in promotion of my materials’
‘It’s just some certain people in their minds feeling that am not doing well’

Who then are these few people Mode 9 is referring to?

The Beautifool Peepool.
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Gabbyraze(m): 10:44am On Aug 19, 2013
As an avid mode9 fan,ℓ̊ quite understand his frustration bt if he dosnt learn to reinvent,he wld not go aniwere.al he nids is to make more conscience songs nd use friendly beats,then he wld b able to cut across more easily.he might nt make money like davido or wizkid bt he wld be more relevant
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by ocheejemb: 11:03am On Aug 19, 2013
In my humble opinion, Naeto C and MI are much better rappers than Mode 9, and they 'spit mad bars' and make a lot of sense, while appealling to the commercial music fans.

1 Like

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by FrenchyL(m): 11:07am On Aug 19, 2013
I am a hip hop head from back in the day and i must say that Mode 9 is a Legend whether you accept the fact or not. I must also say that his hardline stance of not selling out and going commercial is the one factor that is working against him. When he did Bad guy Baller with Edris Abdulkareem and DJ Vinnie, i was ans, is still of the opinion that, the single was not totally commercial but he was still able to do his thing without compromising his very high standards and at the same time appealing to a wider fan base( Commercial and Hardcore)which is where the cheese is found now in the music industry.

In summary, i think the Mode should have a rethink of strategy and be more open minded in his stance because that in turn will bring about a wider acceptance of his work. I know he puts in a lot of very hard work into his production but a fuse of beats will just do the magic( without dropping or losing his originality).

Make a great day smiley

1 Like

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by dj5naira(m): 11:28am On Aug 19, 2013
modo fields old insult/ and call 'em d.ope which calculatively means . even to top city heads in New York . the Broke~Lean sucks/
Phock y'all hypothesis . . . . cos CASIO has already proven long ago that . . Mode 9 yields no result!!!/

1 Like

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by flexingsly: 11:49am On Aug 19, 2013
broda forget dat tin. r u a learner. we knw u r gud bt your punchlines dnt bring dough! switch ur styl up. oya turn up
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by AjanleKoko: 11:56am On Aug 19, 2013
Okay.
Does he want us to contribute money or something?
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Afroconnect: 12:12pm On Aug 19, 2013
tjskii: Abeggy mak I hear,na creativity we wan chop,all we need is music to shake our bumbumz to in da club,mode9 had better conform or starve grin
stupid mediocres,the reason why mediocrity reign in Naija.

1 Like

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by taiocol: 12:18pm On Aug 19, 2013
runzlord:
Yeah Godwon! Omoele, too much money, hennesy in my tummy, forgive them(morell), bla bla bla ive heard many Godwon tracks! But guy have u heard any track on the illegal music 2?

Np. MI ft hench & boogey - ridiculous
ma flow is f.ucking ridiculous. Nice track. Hav u heard iceberg slim assasination reply 2 mi
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 19, 2013
So i shud come annn hepe him hussle?
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by Samabu07(m): 1:37pm On Aug 19, 2013
tjskii: Abeggy mak I hear,na creativity we wan chop,all we need is music to shake our bumbumz to in da club,mode9 had better conform or starve grin
Bumbums wey na shit factory grin

1 Like

Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by patronka: 2:28pm On Aug 19, 2013
My opinion about mode 9 is that he lacks the ability to stay relevant in the industry. I watched an interview where lionel riche said he was aked by bruno mars how he stayed relevant all dz yrs & d first tin he said was that's an artiste's greatest fear & headache...

What he doesn't understand is that there is a wind of change blowing in d naija music scene...our artiste are getting recognized int'lly for songs that have roots deep within d naija culture.

He had better wake-up and join d moving train or else na garri e go dey drink. Also pple who claim to listen to him, olamide, M.I., etc all hv lyrics that somewhat match his, he needs to be creative....
Re: Mode9 Cries Out On Neglect Of His ‘type Of Rap’ by timecop28: 3:25pm On Aug 19, 2013
shymexx: I watched the BET Cipher and I personally think he's naija's best rapper by a mile. The only person close to him is Godwon. if you don't know Godwon, you need to go check that guy out. I have all his mixtapes from like 2004 when he was based in Houston, and he was "Houston's Best Kept Secret."

Yea I thought so too, Plus the fact that Godwon is very deadly at freestyles. I also watched him on Jimmy's Jump off a few years back..I however bought his "Evolution" which I anticipated highly before its release, but I wasn't really impressed just like I wasn't with OD's H.O.D for basically for d same reason..I expected them to include at least 3 classic Hip-Hop tunes on d album which they failed to do. Still on still, I bump to Godwon's 'Hennessey' and 'Too much money' till date. Only that I doubt if I will buy his sophomore album.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Why Does It Not Matter When It’s Davido? / Burna Boy Bags Grammy Award Nomination For Best Album. / Remembering Dr Sir Warrior: Oriental Brothers- Nwanne Awu Enyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.