Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,862 members, 7,817,547 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

General New Zealand Student Enquires - Travel (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General New Zealand Student Enquires (210636 Views)

New Zealand Student Visa / Australia Or New Zealand Student Visa! / New Zealand Student Visa: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 2:22am On Apr 27, 2021
TRS2020:
Please I am considering PhD in Massey University and University of Canterbury without funding...I was wondering if it is possible to find a job to sustain myself during my study period.

Which of these two schools is advisable in terms of location for more job opportunities.

I will really appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

Which Massey campus? Auckland, Wellington or Palmerston North? It will be reasonably easy to get a job in both cities. You most likely will have to start with any job and usually at minimum wage ($20 per hour) so it won't cover all your bills. Wages at the lower spectrum are much of a muchness everywhere because of minimum wage. Your biggest factors should be the cost of rent and getting to and from work.

Christchurch
Largest city in the south island. Surrounded by much more smaller towns so competition for jobs in ChCh itself will potentially be high.
Rents are much more cheaper.
It's very, very hot in the summer and absolutely freezing (5 degrees and below) in the winter with frost on the ground and occasional snow.
It's close to the Mackenzie district - 1.5 hours so opportunities to pick up more work in holiday time when the borders open.

Palmerston North - assuming you're off to the main campus of Massey
A commercial hub as well. Lots of agric, manufacturing, defence and government agencies there
Rent is still fairly reasonable - comparable to ChCh but rising due to proximity to Wellington
I'd say chances of work are much higher again due to the industries there.
A major disadvantage is the proximity to Wellington. Lots of people are buying out there and commuting in so pushing up prices of houses and rentals.

If your choice is between Massey Auckland and ChCh then head to ChCh cos Auckland is the singular most expensive and most difficult place to get properly established in NZ.

2 Likes

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by TRS2020: 9:39pm On Apr 27, 2021
[quote author=Ticha post=101156082]

@Ticha, Many thanks for the information. Very helpful The campus is Palmerston North.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 11:28pm On Apr 28, 2021
[quote author=TRS2020 post=101184029][/quote]

In that case, take PN. Rents are slightly higher but you can walk/ bike everywhere and there'll certainly be a lot more jobs available
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by JayEntaur(m): 12:22pm On Apr 30, 2021
TRS2020:
Please I am considering PhD in Massey University and University of Canterbury without funding...I was wondering if it is possible to find a job to sustain myself during my study period.

Which of these two schools is advisable in terms of location for more job opportunities.

I will really appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

I am considering going for my PhD, too. But I haven't settled on a school yet. Still doing my research. All the best of luck!
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by pstfrancis(m): 2:22pm On May 22, 2021
Pls is it still possible to get PhD admission in New Zealand
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by plantprincess: 10:48am On Jun 23, 2021
Hi everyone, please I will like to know if anyone has applied for student visa in New Zealand for 2021 and how did you go about it. Thank you
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 5:59am On Jun 24, 2021
pstfrancis:
Pls is it still possible to get PhD admission in New Zealand

Yes although entry dates cannot be confirmed

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by johnsurvive: 2:33pm On Jun 26, 2021
As a registered nurse in Nigeria, how can I seek admission to study 1 year add up program which equal BSC in order to be able to work as a nurse in new Zealand. Thanks

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 2:09am On Jun 27, 2021
johnsurvive:
As a registered nurse in Nigeria, how can I seek admission to study 1 year add up program which equal BSC in order to be able to work as a nurse in new Zealand. Thanks

Best thing is find a college that offers the 1 year Graduate Diploma - Ara is a good one.
https://www.ara.ac.nz/products/programme/ch4052-stru-graduate-diploma-in-nursing/

Don't bother with the universities as their fees are double the colleges but the qualification the same on the framework and in the sector.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Gokoyer1401: 7:41am On Jun 29, 2021
Hello Boss, thank you for your contribution.

Do you have idea about nursing schools in Australia and Canada that are affordable also?
Ticha:

Best thing is find a college that offers the 1 year Graduate Diploma - Ara is a good one.
https://www.ara.ac.nz/products/programme/ch4052-stru-graduate-diploma-in-nursing/

Don't bother with the universities as their fees are double the colleges but the qualification the same on the framework and in the sector.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 3:50am On Jun 30, 2021
Gokoyer1401:
Hello Boss, thank you for your contribution.

Do you have idea about nursing schools in Australia and Canada that are affordable also?

Nope. No idea
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by bikerboy1(m): 2:58am On Nov 06, 2021
People still dey go this country like this

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by lovylovy: 8:49am On Nov 11, 2021
Hi,
I recently applied for a PhD program at Lincoln University but am yet to receive feedback. Please how long does it take, who has experienced this?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Samueltemi337(m): 1:35am On Dec 23, 2021
Is vision college a good school to apply for a Diploma in early childhood education in new Zealand?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by ObaOfEsan: 4:30am On Dec 23, 2021
Hey guys. I got admission in AUT. Is the country now open to accept foreigners?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 8:33am On Dec 24, 2021
ObaOfEsan:
Hey guys. I got admission in AUT. Is the country now open to accept foreigners?

No but the universities have quotas allocated for international students. Not sure what the selection criteria is but there are 1000 spaces for Feb intake. When is your resumption date?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by ObaOfEsan: 9:35am On Dec 24, 2021
Ticha:

No but the universities have quotas allocated for international students. Not sure what the selection criteria is but there are 1000 spaces for Feb intake. When is your resumption date?

Feb 20 something.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 11:25pm On Dec 25, 2021
ObaOfEsan:

Feb 20 something.

You most likely will not be able to come in. The selections for the 1000 slots have been done and invitations to apply sent. All the universities also now have registrations to deliver offshore online. Ensure the admission letter states that it's a face to face delivery otherwise even when the borders open, you won't be allowed in based on that admission.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by yankison(m): 4:24pm On Feb 21, 2022
Why is the threat dead. I want to come into nz please what is the neat way for me .. im not that rich but im ready to study all this care giver certificate
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 1:14am On Feb 23, 2022
Samueltemi337:
Is vision college a good school to apply for a Diploma in early childhood education in new Zealand?

Sorry just saw this. No - they're not bad per se. Just that employers won't rate thm. Stick with the Te Pukenga subsidiaries - UCOL, SIT, UNITEC, etc and or NZMA or NZTC.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 1:15am On Feb 23, 2022
yankison:
Why is the threat dead. I want to come into nz please what is the neat way for me .. im not that rich but im ready to study all this care giver certificate

Care giver cert and visa is for the UK so you may need to rethink your strategy
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Longneck: 1:20am On Feb 23, 2022
Ticha:

Sorry just saw this. No - they're not bad per se. Just that employers won't rate thm. Stick with the Te Pukenga subsidiaries - UCOL, SIT, UNITEC, etc and or NZMA or NZTC.
How about Auckland institute of studies
want to get a one year diploma in information technology
will I get a post study visa after the programme?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 2:23am On Feb 23, 2022
Longneck:
How about Auckland institute of studies
want to get a one year diploma in information technology
will I get a post study visa after the programme?

For now the post study visa still exists. If you want to aim for the post study visa then study outside Auckland as that gives you a longer post study visa. Check the EER report of any educational provider you're looking at. If they're a category 1, you're good to go employment wise. Just google EER and name of the provider, results will come up from NZQA

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ichabodcrane(m): 8:29am On Mar 18, 2022
Hello guys,
Since we don't have new Zealand embassy in Nigeria, how do I go about the student visa application? Which embassy do we use?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Hills2012: 1:22pm On Mar 18, 2022
Ichabodcrane:
Hello guys,
Since we don't have new Zealand embassy in Nigeria, how do I go about the student visa application? Which embassy do we use?

You apply for the visa online then send your passport to South Africa for verification.

See the links below for more information:

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/criteria/full-fee-paying-student-visa?nationality=nationality-NGA&country=residence-NGA

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/process-fees/full-fee-paying-student-visa?nationality=nationality-NGA&country=residence-NGA&applying=no&submethod=Applying+on+online+form&qs=
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by sweetveek(m): 3:58pm On Mar 22, 2022
Please any active person living in new Zealand here?it seems most new Zealanders are no longer active,i need assistance with something
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 9:49pm On Mar 22, 2022
sweetveek:
Please any active person living in new Zealand here?it seems most new Zealanders are no longer active,i need assistance with something

Haba, we're active na grin

The borders are only beginning to open but shoot!
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by bikerboy1(m): 11:13am On Apr 23, 2022
Have they started letting international students into the country?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 4:00am On Apr 24, 2022
bikerboy1:
Have they started letting international students into the country?

Yes but numbers capped to 5000 till end of June. All student visa applications open from July 2022.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by otabuko(m): 8:25am On May 06, 2022
Ticha:

Yes but numbers capped to 5000 till end of June. All student visa applications open from July 2022.
Please kindly advice, I was awarded a place for PhD without funding but I filled for funding. If I find myself. Will I be able to get a job that will pay back my money and make gains?

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (51) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada-part2 / On Vacation: New York City / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.