Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,430 members, 7,954,685 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:10 AM

Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments (29289 Views)

Lagos Court Dissolves 8 Months Old Marriage Over Mother-in-law’s Harassment / Nursing Mother Commits Suicide After Baby Dedication / 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by yfo: 11:08pm On Aug 27, 2013
kelz3264: the girl was wrong to have opted for suicide!
No matter what her mum had said toher suicide wasnt the best option,rather she should have thought of ways of proving her mum wrong! One thing i know is that no one can make you feel inferior witout your consent! The mum might have meant no harm just a case of wrong self expressive pattern!

while I tend to agree with your points, i however should make it clear that this is a certainly not a result of that "barbaric line" used by d mom but that of continuos mental torture over the last 20 years of her life.
ask anyone who has been a victim of psychological abuse and they'l let u know that physical torture is easier to handle.
After a prolonged degradation of d girl's self-esteem, we are now witnessing d result. this is a wake up call to the kind of parenting we have in most homes in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by yfo: 11:16pm On Aug 27, 2013
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by AntiSerious: 11:21pm On Aug 27, 2013
Mummy Kemi is not to be blamed.....as for me,d deceased kemi is not a person who faces challenges.If my mum would call me a failure and disgrace,I would prove her wrong by uplifting myself....Too bad,R.I.P kemi....#smh sha
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 11:36pm On Aug 27, 2013
she came to live her life mama kemi y abuse am??
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Decryptor(m): 1:28am On Aug 28, 2013
But i want to ask a question....what is it with yoruba people and rat poison? Awolowo took rat poison and now..... lipsrsealed
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 4:47am On Aug 28, 2013
Rukemi291:

I am sorry to say this, but Jidegirl, you are one of them. i know my opinion doesn't count but please change if that's how you are in real life.

Youre damn right it doesnt count and you prob got those 'likes' cos my name was in your post ( neat eh?) ....You should recite extra 99 astaghfirullah for that condescending statement up there ruke( whatever that means)... go back and re-read all Kuilye's posts on this thread maybe that'll open your tattletale mind and give you an insight on how people behave here...

However, if you're trying to impress to 'belong' .. you better don't start with me.. just waka pass my area and let it be the last time you'll ever say my name... Sho ara eh oh.

Arrant nonsense .

1 Like

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Sike(m): 5:13am On Aug 28, 2013
Mama Kemi Kills kemi. How sad! sad
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Gregzee: 5:50am On Aug 28, 2013
Hmnnnn....a sad one here. Kemi, at 21, a fashion designer in a western education-crazy environment. hmnn maybe she's not bright as a student(so couldn't secure admission for higher education) ouch...a painful one,ve been there before. understand what it feels like. Maybe that boy might have told her, at the last quarrel "you short,fat, and ugly b**ch, was just managing you"....too bad. But whom could she have run to for advice. Certainly, not the mother....and ...and she called me a failure(which, apparently not different from her judgment of self). Kemi! you should have talked to GOD.
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 6:47am On Aug 28, 2013
y-fo:

while I tend to agree with your points, i however should make it clear that this is a certainly not a result of that "barbaric line" used by d mom but that of continuos mental torture over the last 20 years of her life.
ask anyone who has been a victim of psychological abuse and they'l let u know that physical torture is easier to handle.
After a prolonged degradation of d girl's self-esteem, we are now witnessing d result. this is a wake up call to the kind of parenting we have in most homes in nigeria.
trie.you are right.even as a teeager whem mumsi compares me she will be like,can't you see monica,she's now a uni stident and you are there still writing jamb,immidiately I will reply her that we were not born the same day and we don't experience the same circumstances.that was how I was able to deliver myself from allowing anyone to make me feel inadequate or crush my self esteem.this is not to say she's a bad mom though but like the saying goes.do not allow anyone or any circu$stances to take away your joy.today,I am not only a graduate in 3 fields of specialization,I am a boss in my own field

1 Like

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 28, 2013
useless mother
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by bellong: 7:42am On Aug 28, 2013
ILIDEFI:

First Aid like what? U think managing poisoning is d same as managing cuts and sprains or even RTA, esp wen u don't know d active ingredient in d poison or it's antidote? Don't criticize wen u know little to nothing abt any field.

If d girl rily had a relationship with Christ, she wud not have taken her life. Bible says dat tho mothers and fathers forsake us, d Lord Himself will receive us. U can always bank on d love of God wen rejected and dejected by family and frnds.

What has relationship with Christ got to do with hospitals managing emergencies? And you are here telling me that the hospital have no idea on how to treat ota pia pia poison? Is the teaching hospital they refer her to an herbalist home? Is this how we want to be celebrating mediocrity and incompetence?

You don't even know whether they are muslim or traditionalist before jumping at relationship with Christ.

I may not know anything about medicine but at least I know there is a first aid given to poisoned patient irrespective of the active ingredients contained in the chemicals.... I think you need that advice more than I do.

First aid is not limited to cuts and bruises oga.
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by 76Naira(m): 8:04am On Aug 28, 2013
I am so upset I overwrote my earlier texts......RIP dear.
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by joshuaidibia(m): 8:21am On Aug 28, 2013
kelz3264: the girl was wrong to have opted for suicide!
No matter what her mum had said toher suicide wasnt the best option,rather she should have thought of ways of proving her mum wrong! One thing i know is that no one can make you feel inferior witout your consent! The mum might have meant no harm just a case of wrong self expressive pattern!
u'r ryt in many ways. Bt wrong in sm ways.
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by aykay45(m): 8:46am On Aug 28, 2013
So peeps are jst so annoying, hw wetin person go talk go make me commit suicide, I fit lock ma self for months, decide not to talk to anyone again or even run away not suicide, well she's a lady anyway... D woman too is so annoying(as in d mother).
My point is jst dat wen sum1 says u r a failure, d person is jst giving u time to prove ursef and shout der mouth.
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by ciphoenix: 9:02am On Aug 28, 2013
namis007: This is not about feelings. We are supposed to be tough. Nothing should happen to one in this life dat will be so bad as to resort to taking ones life. Mummy kemy must have been realy annoyed to have cursed her daughter. Have u wondered if the girl realy brought shame and disgrace to the woman.the both parties are so wrong but I guess kemy took the easy way out which is so foolish, she gave up on life. Well she will answer that wen she gets to wherever she is goin to.Smh worth

If only we can in reality, put ourselves in the position of others with every factor in place.
These cases are never just a "sad so I committed suicide" plot. There's always more behind the scenes
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by ciphoenix: 9:02am On Aug 28, 2013
aykay45: So peeps are jst so annoying, hw wetin person go talk go make me commit suicide, I fit lock ma self for months, decide not to talk to anyone again or even run away not suicide, well she's a lady anyway... D woman too is so annoying(as in d mother).
My point is jst dat wen sum1 says u r a failure, d person is jst giving u time to prove ursef and shout der mouth.

Say you grew up differently, you'd have a different outlook
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by tomzman: 9:11am On Aug 28, 2013
Localamos: Congrats Mama Kemi, you got what you wanted.

And to all the parents in da house, this is a lesson for you.
Well said. Parents should really be mindful of the words they speak to their children.
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 9:29am On Aug 28, 2013
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 9:30am On Aug 28, 2013
bellong:

What has relationship with Christ got to do with hospitals managing emergencies? And you are here telling me that the hospital have no idea on how to treat ota pia pia poison? Is the teaching hospital they refer her to an herbalist home? Is this how we want to be celebrating mediocrity and incompetence?

You don't even know whether they are muslim or traditionalist before jumping at relationship with Christ.

I may not know anything about medicine but at least I know there is a first aid given to poisoned patient irrespective of the active ingredients contained in the chemicals.... I think you need that advice more than I do.

First aid is not limited to cuts and bruises oga.

I wz writin a new and difft point wen I talked abt relationship with Christ. U shld have seen dat it wz a new paragraph.
About d first aid, d truth is dat d survival pf a poisoned patient has much to do with d time lapse between d intake of d poison and presentation at a hospital. If it's a matter of few minutes, chances of survival is high esp if gastric lavage (washing up d stomach) is done. But if it's a question of hours, d poison wud hav bin absorbed into d body, so lavage won't do anytin. Only using d antidote wud save d person, and if it's not available,den survival is slim. Again, some poisons (like all these animal poisons which block respiration ) do not have antidote, so there will b no remedy for dem.
Now thank me for giving u some enlightenment.
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by bellong: 10:36am On Aug 28, 2013
ILIDEFI:

I wz writin a new and difft point wen I talked abt relationship with Christ. U shld have seen dat it wz a new paragraph.
About d first aid, d truth is dat d survival pf a poisoned patient has much to do with d time lapse between d intake of d poison and presentation at a hospital. If it's a matter of few minutes, chances of survival is high esp if gastric lavage (washing up d stomach) is done. But if it's a question of hours, d poison wud hav bin absorbed into d body, so lavage won't do anytin. Only using d antidote wud save d person, and if it's not available,den survival is slim. Again, some poisons (like all these animal poisons which block respiration ) do not have antidote, so there will b no remedy for dem.
Now thank me for giving u some enlightenment.

Thank you for the free education. However, your lesson does not exonerate the hospital from this mess. If an hospital does not have facilities for treating rat poison, what else can they do? You see why people keep dying daily in the hands of these our incompetent medical personnel.

I wish you know the distance between Isale-Asa and the UNILORIN teaching hospital the girl was referred to. The distance is even nothing compared to the traffic that will hold them in Sango area before getting to the hospital, of which am sure, the referral hospital doesn't even have an ambulance for emergencies like this.

I still stand by my initial word, that first hospital is crap if it can't administer stability for rat poison. If I were a member of medical regulatory body, the hospital will be on red-flag.
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by bibiking7(m): 11:00am On Aug 28, 2013
[b]I see no reason why the girl should commit suicide cos of the barrage of insults she received from her mother. That's lame. But there are different kinds of people. The mum might have anger management issues, while the girl might be unstable psychologically. My folks used to whoop my A.S.S regularly and I still love them to death. In fact, I bet suicide wont even be an option for me cos I would probably be so scared of the whipping I will get if I don't die from the poison, and even if I end up dead, the A.S.S whooping might still take place in heaven.

As for NL, there are a lot of sick phucks here. I wonder how they interact with people in real life. Sometimes, I blame the person that insults, butttt, some comments will make you have to grind your teeth to hold back your tongue and fingers from calling the person a dumbass. But, I deal with it by concluding that not everybody in this forum is matured, so they are entitled to their own lame opinion. Plus I have seen worse. 'your father is a bastard' na regular statement for my secondary school, how many people you wan fight sef.

On the streets of lagos, you hear all sorts. am sorry, but I wont claim sir goody 3 shoes, cos I strongly believe that an occasional 'phuck off' is in order to ward off occasional fuckery and I don't see that as cyber bullying smiley.
[/b]
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by nsikakudom: 11:16am On Aug 28, 2013
chaircover: Typical bullyish behaviour. Even exhibited here on this forum. People think the more caustic tongued they are the better & stronger it makes them look.

People talk anyhow to anybody. Its everywhere with an aim to bring them down . . . on forums, homes, markets, on the road, schools, offices everywhere!!!! They forget that people are different and some people cant just brush things off and they take these things badly. A couple of weeks ago a 14 year old committed suicide over abuse she received on an internet site.

In this case to her own daughter. If a child can’t find comfort and succour in his/her own mother then how much more strangers? If you cant be your kids greatest cheer leader and fan, then who will?

I saw this on someone’s facebook wall this morning and it got me thinking . . . .

“Don’t mix bad words with your bad mood. You will have many opportunities to change your mood, but you will never get an opportunity to change the words you have spoken.”

I hope a lesson or two is learnt from this tragedy.

PS I dont know how a 21 year old girl who is a fashion designer is now a failure in the book of a woman running a grinding machine. undecided
#word#

1 Like

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by dazzlyd123: 11:32am On Aug 28, 2013
The stupid woman is also a disgrace to her family and a big failure. she was just passing aggressive or reactions of her failure to d poor child. Her mates are Ministers, Commissioners, CEO of multinational companies etc while she is there grinding pepper. Mtshew!!!!! mad woman
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by yfo: 11:33am On Aug 28, 2013
Creative mind: Like every reasonable man, i blame the mother but i fault the deceased too. Come to think of it, criticisms are unpleasant to the body but without it, one may not grow in life. If she was not actually a failure, she should have shown that by becoming a success story and prove her mother wrong, if she was not a disgrace, she should have waited to get celebrated and disgrace her mum's assertion. This is like an attempt to cure headache with an atomic bomb. It is condemnable, reprehensible, unreasonable and logically illogical... If everyone here is to take actions on every criticism of this type, most of us would be dead by now. If not for what people say to us, it will be for what we say to people sometimes..

the lady was a fashion designer and yet her mum said she was a disgrace (granted, she may not have been very successful but still).. this shows the mum had a penchant for criticising her whether just or unjust...
having someone criticise u for all ur life would eventually make one feel worthless and being unable to do anything useful no matter how hard they try....add this to the fact that the person in question is meant to love them and u can maybe understand her situation a lil better.

2 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Oluwabee(f): 1:02pm On Aug 28, 2013
God have mercy!!!!! wen did sucide become our way of life in Nigeria too? We were taling about a girl who commited suicide about a month back in d office just on monday cos her mum said sumthing to her. She dran otapiapia den sent text mds to her friend to console her granma cos she is the only one dat will miss her.

Parents be careful!!! Watch what you say to ur kids
Children never let suicide be the option to get bak to does who talk u down
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by lindybest(f): 1:22pm On Aug 28, 2013
it's really sad that a thing like that happened but i think the girl had more issues than just what her mom said...after all people have been told worse.not saying the mom was right but it shouldn't have gotten to that...it's not like she's 10..couldn't she handle a little pressure?...there is more to this i tell you...
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Oluwabee(f): 1:40pm On Aug 28, 2013
God have mercy!!!!! wen did suicide become our way of life in Nigeria too? We were talking about a girl who committed suicide about a month back in d office just on Monday cos her mum said sumthing to her. She dran otapiapia den sent text some to her friend to console her granma cos she is the only one dat will miss her.

Parents be careful!!! Watch what you say to ur kids
Children never let suicide be the option to get bak to does who talk u down

1 Like

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 28, 2013
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Librakid(f): 3:02pm On Aug 28, 2013
Its really sad bt i want to state here dat we do av such mothers. Its sad dat Kemi had to take her life cos if many of us had let the words and action of our mothers get to us den we would av bn history by now. I personally detest my mum 4 dat,am not proud of sayin dis bt i wish she wasn't my mum in the first place!

2 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 28, 2013
bellong:

Thank you for the free education. However, your lesson does not exonerate the hospital from this mess. If an hospital does not have facilities for treating rat poison, what else can they do? You see why people keep dying daily in the hands of these our incompetent medical personnel.

I wish you know the distance between Isale-Asa and the UNILORIN teaching hospital the girl was referred to. The distance is even nothing compared to the traffic that will hold them in Sango area before getting to the hospital, of which am sure, the referral hospital doesn't even have an ambulance for emergencies like this.

I still stand by my initial word, that first hospital is crap if it can't administer stability for rat poison. If I were a member of medical regulatory body, the hospital will be on red-flag.

Okay, just get it now: there is no first aid for rat poison in most hospitals (if at all any hospital) in Nigeria. Not even UITH wud hav saved d girl from death. D best of attention from dat private hospital wud neva have saved d girl, cos there is no drug dey cud hav given her to save her. I repeat, both UITH and LUTH wud not have saved d girl if she were to present in any of dem at first.
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by maxisfield(f): 3:34pm On Aug 28, 2013
RIP to d dead, iz a pity. Buh d geh iz sooo soft n I guess diaz mor to ds story. I still wonder cos if dts d case ppl lyk me wud hav commited suicide 100times grin
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by yfo: 3:54pm On Aug 28, 2013
Creative mind: . Brother, i appreciate your intellectual approach but one should always have it in mind that some people are meant to see no good just as some hardly see bad in another. Are you now trying to say suicide is the option when hurt by one's loved one? I beg to disagree because suicide is a result of shallow thought and hopelessness. You don't avoid a problem by committing suicide. You only make an unpleasant history that won't be forgotten for yourself.

once again i see your point however, u are looking @ this from a logical stand-point and this is more complex than that as we are dealing with human emotions which is an inexact science.
if we all looked at our problems logically and without emotions, this world would be a much better place and more than half of the past wars won't have been fought. if a nation would swallow its pride and let some issues slide, wars would be averted and countless human lives would be saved but alas we are not robots and act on our emotions as we see fit.
I don't codone suicide and feel it is a mentality that is best done away with, but before we attack this girl as weak-minded let us know that there is only so much one can take before we crack. I study human resources and one thing I can tell u is that people have different levels of being able to cope with stress and such abuse and it seems she is one of those with NATURAL low ability to cope with mental stress.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Dad And I Aren't In Good Terms / Few Tips For Husbands Of Pregnant Women. / Is It A Crime To Admit That Your Spouse Is Older Than You? (my Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.