Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,764 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law (30413 Views)

Osinbajo And Malami In Turf War Over $1.3billion Malabu Scam - Premium Times / The Coming War Over Fulani / Odinkalu, Fani-kayode In Twitter War Over Hate Speech. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Policewoman(f): 11:01am On Aug 28, 2013
I personally think terminating the life of an unborn baby, except in the case where the mother's life is threathened, is wrong and should be stopped. However people must be given the choice to choose and not forced by legislation.
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by biafranqueen: 11:03am On Aug 28, 2013
Dibiachukwu:
Their are motherless babies homes in Nigeria. Take them there. Give the baby to your mother; do anything but kill the baby. Abortion is murder
which one did you support let us know where it is so people in the area can donate or volunteer to teach and mentor, you seem to be very passionate about the lives of children.

2 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 28, 2013
Reptyle:

Seems to me like the law is specific about instances where abortion can be procured. What's the fuss?
Whether she got pregnant through Rape or at will doesn't give her the right to Murder a gift from God. This Law is simply evil
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by biafranqueen: 11:04am On Aug 28, 2013
Policewoman: I personally think terminating the life of an unborn baby, except in the case where the mother's life is threathened, is wrong and should be stopped. However people must be given the choice to choose and not forced by legislation.
I agree with you 100%
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 28, 2013
Bunch of religious people.

A lady should have the right to decide what stays in her body, just like there is no law against removal on cancer from your body, they should have the right to remove unwanted pregnancies too.

If you want to attack my point, please provide a valid answer to this argument then we can continue from there:

... You slept in your home yester-night night, and woke up this morning to see an old lady at your bed side, attached to your body through some complicated medical equipment, just as you're wondering what's happening, a medical doctor came in and briefed you that, the lady is making use of your heart, that if you disconnect the equipment she's going to die, will you feel obligated to remain in bed for the remaining period of your life (Let's say you're 30)? Despite the fact that you're not undergoing or experiencing any pain.
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by ChrisNnaz: 11:07am On Aug 28, 2013
Our problem in this country is hypocrisy. Study shows that 34,000 women in Nigeria die from procuring illegal abortion annually.Okorocha did well in signing d bill. He did not say u must abort any pregnancy, it is a matter of choice.Everything in life is by choice.Meanwhile the people critizing him are the ones impregnating our women on daily basis.The bill is a welcomed idea and other states should follow and adopt it.Procuring abortion from professional is far better than people hiding to take drugs or going to quacks thereby increasing the rate of maternal mortality. Do u know d complications arising form procuring Abortion illegaly.Okorocha has contributed positively, it is now d turn of religious leaders and parents to bring up their children properly.

2 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 11:07am On Aug 28, 2013
I_am_Lamar: Whether she got pregnant through Rape or at will doesn't give her the right to Murder a gift from God. This Law is simply evil
Your opinion/perspective is wrong too!!!
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by fr3do(m): 11:08am On Aug 28, 2013
They are already arguing when they've not defined when a zygote becomes a foetus (undeveloped baby).

I think abortion should be allowed when the mother's health is PROVED to be in danger.

In the case of molestation,spermicides should be made available to victims (this is the work of women's affairs,to also create awareness).
Victims who are already pregnant should keep it.
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Dibiachukwu: 11:09am On Aug 28, 2013
Rochas should better not pass that law! How about setting up a hotline for child abuse and so on; and tougher laws on these. Why does he want to kill igbo kids for the sins of their fathers. Is he God? What kind of rubbish is this. Just because it is done in the west doesn't mean you should do it! Even if you build a new city called new vegas; if you kill igbo kids in the name of abortion, you must pay; unless you repent.
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by 3Dimension: 11:09am On Aug 28, 2013
This bill is not outrightly legalising abortion. But there are clauses involved. This bill will do more good than harm to the society.
1. Whether we like it or not abortion is going underground. And many lives has been endangered because most doctors that do the illegal abortion are quack. With dis law patronising quacks will be greatly reduced.
2. The clause state that in the case of molestation and rape or when the mother is psycholoogically or emotionally affected. Cmon there are so many children out dir that are constituting nuisance to the society as a result of illegality of abortion.. So many babies have been born with hatred and bitterness. Some are even unlucky to have been dumped on refuse dump only to be killed by wild animals.

Would you rather support does children to be born and dumped on refuse sites and destroyed by scavenger?

3. What d law should ensure is that an application for abortion must be with some signatures as witness.

Let it also be noted that every baby deserves to live. And the life of a thing is in d blood. But when a life becomes a threat to another life or a possible threat to the society. Then something should be done.
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by biafranqueen: 11:09am On Aug 28, 2013
mildteddy:
You needn't check ma posts, but I see your point though... Thanks for your concern. I'll brief u on how it'll go down. Hope u'll be ready to carry the blocks for me come November.
can't carry the blocks but am buying the cement and providing the food for those that support us the end of November until the middle of December see you don't disappoint themoo

1 Like

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Policewoman(f): 11:10am On Aug 28, 2013
adeaugustus: Bunch of religious people.

A lady should have the right to decide what stays in her body, just like there is no law against removal on cancer from your body, they should have the right to remove unwanted pregnancies too.

If you want to attack my point, please provide a valid answer to this argument then we can continue from there:

... You slept in your home yester-night night, and woke up this morning to see an old lady at your bed side, attached to your body through some complicated medical equipment, just as you're wondering what's happening, a medical doctor came in and briefed you that, the lady is making use of your heart, that if you disconnect the equipment she's going to die, will you feel obligated to remain in bed for the remaining period of your life (Let's say you're 30)? Despite the fact that you're not undergoing or experiencing any pain.
Your analogy is flawed. The external host you are trying to paint are both parasitic in nature and is only right to terminate them or else they will cost you your life. We are talking about a baby here. Your own flesh and blood, an innocent soul. The least you could do is have the child and then dump him or her at the motherless babies home if you cant stand seeing it.

1 Like

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by ignis: 11:10am On Aug 28, 2013
Idi Amin: Seriously, catholics should stop this their "holier than thou" attitude. Why are they complaining when their so called Rev SISTERS are the major players in "ABORTION SECTOR". I just read the article in between the lines now and understood the content of the bill. Why would a woman keep a pregnancy for an armed robber/rapist or a pregnancy that might endanger her life? undecided
If that is the way you understand it, no problem.
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Okijajuju1(m): 11:11am On Aug 28, 2013
Policewoman: I personally think terminating the life of an unborn baby, except in the case where the mother's life is threathened, is wrong and should be stopped. However people must be given the choice to choose and not forced by legislation.

[b]I support the termination of a Pregnancy under every circumstance, bar none.. These include;

1. R@pe
2. Incest.. (This type of abortion should be encouraged because of the biological effect it has on future generations.. )
3. Threat to the Mothers Life..
4. Financial disability.
5. Unwanted Pregnancy.

YES!! If the baby dont feel right, get rid of it. I'd rather not be born, than to be born and dumped off in a foster home, or a garbage can, made to suffer, come out with biological defects because family members were interfucking, or that my daddy was the famous Robber SHINA RAMBO, e.t.c...

The only clause I will add to this Law is that the decision for an abortion must lie solely with the mother of the baby and that she must be aged 21 at the time of her making this decision..

To all those saying only if the mothers life is in danger, My question now becomes, who made you the judge of who gets to live and who gets to be killed?!
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Reptyle(m): 11:11am On Aug 28, 2013
mildteddy:
The law made a list of the conditions that have to be met before a new life form (a human being) will be terminated. Who told you that you have the right to do that? Can you be able to manufacture a single strand of DNA in a foetus. If you can no problem go ahead and abort as many as you like, but if you can't why terminate a life formed by God, of which we have no idea as to how or why He did. Abortion is Evil and a crime against infancy.
I'm disappointed in Rochas for this, but what can I say... Ukwa ruo oge ya odaa.
We humans are just too selfish, that's why most of us will lose this war against evil.

Sentimental hogwash at best! Like Biafranqueen asked another nairalander earlier, until you state here on this forum one motherless babies home that you actively support with your God given resources, you can take this your holier-than-the-pope act and shove it where the sun don't shine.

You are not more Christian than I am and I insist that there are situations where women should be given the legal choice to procure an abortion. The only modification I would make to the law if I had the power to, is that doctors should also be given the choice of declining to carry out an abortion if it goes against their moral code. In such a situation, they must refer the patient immediately, especially in situations where there is an obvious threat to life.

This law only gives a legal backing to a woman who under any of the aforementioned conditions, DECIDES FREELY of her own volition, to procure an abortion without needing to suffer the scathing reproach from the Bible-thumping hypocrites that abound on Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by mildteddy(m): 11:12am On Aug 28, 2013
honey86:
will d girls be able to carry out the abortion without the consents of the medical practitioners?. The truth is if the doctors can choose not to perform the procedure on those who are not affected by the conditions listed above.
You got to be kiding. Medical Practitioners without good morals by this law, are mandated to make money.
They strike even when life of patients is at risk. pls tell me something we don't know.
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by ladenz(m): 11:13am On Aug 28, 2013

hmmm. are you comparing an unknown old lady who appeared attached to me yester yester night night grin to my own baby, my flesh and blood who has a whole life ahead of him or her. I will not feel obliged to keep the baby but i definitely wont get rid of it without 2nd thoughts as if it were just an inanimate appendage
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by fr3do(m): 11:14am On Aug 28, 2013

A lady should have the right to decide what stays in her body, just like there is no law against removal on cancer from your body, they should have the right to remove unwanted pregnancies too..

your analogy is sick
comparing an unborn child to a cancer.
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 11:16am On Aug 28, 2013
Idi Amin: Seriously, catholics should stop this their "holier than thou" attitude. Why are they complaining when their so called Rev SISTERS are the major players in "ABORTION SECTOR". I just read the article in between the lines now and understood the content of the bill. Why would a woman keep a pregnancy for an armed robber/rapist or a pregnancy that might endanger her life? undecided

Killing is killing...who would have heard of solomon being the wisest and richest man in the world if his mother aborted him, cos the man who made her pregnant also murdered her dear husband in "hot" blood
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 11:16am On Aug 28, 2013
Policewoman: Your analogy is flawed. The external host you are trying to paint are both parasitic in nature and is only right to terminate them or else they will cost you your life. We are talking about a baby here. Your own flesh and blood, an innocent soul. The least you could do is have the child and then dump him or her at the motherless babies home if you cant stand seeing it.
Then who takes care of the child st the motherless homes?
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Dibiachukwu: 11:17am On Aug 28, 2013
biafranqueen: which one did you support let us know where it is so people in the area can donate or volunteer to teach and mentor, you seem to be very passionate about the lives of children.
The life of every child of God is sacred. Especially for the vulnerable ones.
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by UyiIredia(m): 11:17am On Aug 28, 2013

# Word.
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 11:17am On Aug 28, 2013
Policewoman: Your analogy is flawed. The external host you are trying to paint are both parasitic in nature and is only right to terminate them or else they will cost you your life. We are talking about a baby here. Your own flesh and blood, an innocent soul. The least you could do is have the child and then dump him or her at the motherless babies home if you cant stand seeing it.

You don't get the point! Not until you stop being emotional, and look at the issue from a neutral/normal perspective.

A baby conceived after the usage of contraceptive pills or condom is also a parasite too, obviously it's not wanted!
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by biafranqueen: 11:18am On Aug 28, 2013
really do you know what these "DUMPED" children go through? I suppose you have never spent time at a motherless baby I suggest you go and volunteer every weekend for a month and let us know what you think. Most of the girls continue the cycle and most of the guys end up criminals so Police can keep a job. Nnewi November 25 th to December 15 th let's see how much you care, come and help me cook for the children and volunteers
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by herbdull(m): 11:19am On Aug 28, 2013
chukwudi44: Rochas had better be careful!!! If he decides to fight the catholic church which comprises about 70% of the states population he will be finised politically.He should not forget what happeded to Ohakim and how he got to power in the first place.Abortion is murder except when the pregnacy endangers the mother's life.Even if a child comes from rape he should be allowed to live

Those of you arguing oterwise,assuming of your daughter is raped and somehow manages to give birth to a baby resulting from its pregancy will it be rigt to still kill the baby after it has already been born simply because his father was a rapist?

So it becomes murder even when the child is a few hours old but legal abortion even when the mother is 8 months pregmants.Taking of human life is bad.There is no two ways about it.

It is simply a use of differant terminologies to describe the same act
This bill was passed in the state assembly and forworded to the the governor. If Imo state population is 70% catholic this bill should be dead in public hearing stage. Stop fussing!
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by mildteddy(m): 11:19am On Aug 28, 2013
biafranqueen: can't carry the blocks but am buying the cement and providing the food for those that support us the end of November until the middle of December see you don't disappoint themoo
Keep me posted, and bet that I won't disappoint you because I won't;-).

1 Like

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by achikefifty(m): 11:19am On Aug 28, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]Well, which ever way we look at it, killing is killing. And therefore abortion is a crime against God, humanity and an abuse to the African culture.
Even when the baby comes through molestation or whichever way, the baby is not @ fault and therefore should not be made to pay for a crime he/she didn't commit
And the truth is that the way of God is not the way of man, we mortal men may not understand but they might just be killing the next president or prophet of the nations.
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by biafranqueen: 11:19am On Aug 28, 2013
Dibiachukwu: The life of every child of God is sacred. Especially for the vulnerable ones.
so how many children without parents do you support

2 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 11:20am On Aug 28, 2013
fr3do:

your analogy is sick
comparing an unborn child to a cancer.

There is nothing sick about the analogy! You're just being emotional, what gives you the assurance that it's a child? A pregnant women is not yet a mother until the foetus is born.
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 11:21am On Aug 28, 2013
biafranqueen: so how many children without parents do you support
don't mind them jare, over religious people

1 Like

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by biafranqueen: 11:21am On Aug 28, 2013
mildteddy:
Keep me posted, and bet that I won't disappoint you because I won't;-).
I believe you I will e message you a reminder in November Dalu!
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by ChrisNnaz: 11:22am On Aug 28, 2013
Okorocha is a good person.It is the religious people that are wicked.34,000 die from procuring illegal Abortion annually, while some of them suffer from its complications.Religious minded persons should concentrate on educating the masses on the sins of immorality. The irony is that people that are crying and critizing the Governor might be procuring abortion illegally for their numerous lovers and children butthey come here to show hypocrisy. It is a simple matter, if your faith is d against it,carry the pregnancy or otherwise go to professionals rather than quacks or takin drugs that would endanger lives.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Niger-Delta Avengers Killing Our Soldiers But We Will Crush Them - Buratai / Lawan Swears In Senator Olujimi As Adeyeye’s Replacement / Fire Destroys Kogi State House Of Assembly (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.