Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,679 members, 7,831,106 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) (17202 Views)

114 Babies Delivered As RCCG Convention Ends (Photo) / E-Grace Convention 20-14 / Einstein Personal Letter To E. Gutkind - "Religion Is..childish Superstition" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Ajibam: 3:29pm On Aug 29, 2013
uj_sizzle: STORY OF GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS

Thomas Obadiah Chisolm (1866-1960) had a difficult adult life. His health was so fragile that there were periods of time when he was confined to bed, unable to work. Between bouts of illness he would have to push himself to put in extra hours at various jobs in order to make ends meet.

After coming to Christ at age 27, Thomas found great comfort in the Scriptures, and in the fact that God was faithful to be his strength in time of illness and provide his needs. Lamentations 3:22-23 was one of his favorite scriptures: “It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is Thy faithfulness.”

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by ATMC(f): 3:31pm On Aug 29, 2013
beautiful @enigma thank u
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 3:32pm On Aug 29, 2013
IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL

1. When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
when sorrows like sea billows roll;
whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well with my soul,
it is well, it is well with my soul.

2. Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
let this blest assurance control,
that Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
and hath shed his own blood for my soul.
(Refrain)

3. My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
(Refrain)

4. And, Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
the clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
the trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
even so, it is well with my soul.
(Refrain)
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by DrummaBoy(m): 3:34pm On Aug 29, 2013
Enigma: Ah, will do that now! smiley

Thank you Enigma.

Thank you moderators.

Now, we can ask questions or make our comments on Enigma's paper. This will last until the next paper is presented.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Ajibam: 3:34pm On Aug 29, 2013
Am blessed........thank you enigma....God isyour strenght!!!!

When is the question time??

Am eager

@atmc.....how was the teaching
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 3:35pm On Aug 29, 2013
STORY OF IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL

Horatio Spafford (1828-1888) was a wealthy Chicago lawyer with a thriving legal practice, a beautiful home, a wife, four daughters and a son. He was also a devout Christian and faithful student of the Scriptures. His circle of friends included Dwight L. Moody, Ira Sankey and various other well-known Christians of the day.

At the very height of his financial and professional success, Horatio and his wife Anna suffered the tragic loss of their young son. Shortly thereafter on October 8, 1871, the Great Chicago Fire destroyed almost every real estate investment that Spafford had.

In 1873, Spafford scheduled a boat trip to Europe in order to give his wife and daughters a much needed vacation and time to recover from the tragedy. He also went to join Moody and Sankey on an evangelistic campaign in England. Spafford sent his wife and daughters ahead of him while he remained in Chicago to take care of some unexpected last minute business. Several days later he received notice that his family's ship had encountered a collision. All four of his daughters drowned; only his wife had survived.

With a heavy heart, Spafford boarded a boat that would take him to his grieving Anna in England. It was on this trip that he penned those now famous words, When sorrow like sea billows roll; it is well, it is well with my soul..

Philip Bliss (1838-1876), composer of many songs including Hold the Fort, Let the Lower Lights be Burning, and Jesus Loves Even Me, was so impressed with Spafford's life and the words of his hymn that he composed a beautiful piece of music to accompany the lyrics. The song was published by Bliss and Sankey, in 1876.

For more than a century, the tragic story of one man has given hope to countless thousands who have lifted their voices to sing, It Is Well With My Soul.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 3:36pm On Aug 29, 2013
DrummaBoy:

Thank you Enigma.

Thank you moderators.

Now, we can ask questions or make our comments on Enigma's paper. This will last until the next paper is presented.

Thanks smiley
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Ajibam: 3:42pm On Aug 29, 2013
QUESTION 1

HEBREWS7vs6
AND WHO THEN TURN AWAY FROM GOD.IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO BRING SUCH PEOPLE BACK TO REPENTANCE

SUCH PEOPLE MENTION ABOVE!!!HAS GRACE ELUDES THEM?
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Goshen360(m): 3:50pm On Aug 29, 2013
That was a Graceful message, enigma. Bless you.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Ajibam: 3:51pm On Aug 29, 2013
GALATIANS 5VS4
FOR IF YOU ARE TRYING TO MAKE YOURSELVES RIGHT WITH GOD BY KEEPING THE LAW,YOUHAVE BEEN CUT OFF FROM CHRIST! YOU HAVE FALLEN AWAY FROM GOD'S GRACE

WHEN WE FALL OUT OFGRACE,WOULD WE BE SAVE BACK BY GRACE OR THATS ALL?
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Goshen360(m): 3:51pm On Aug 29, 2013
Question and answers follow after the teaching.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by DrummaBoy(m): 3:54pm On Aug 29, 2013
Enigma:

The Only Hope

If with even our best efforts we cannot meet the standard of righteousness in light of God’s holiness, then what can we do? Then what is our hope? There is a fantastic sermon by the late preacher Martin Lloyd Jones titled “The Only Hope” (should still be available to purchase online or even maybe free) in which this very important point is made. Well, the only hope at the end of the day is God’s mercy and ------ God’s grace!

You may listen to or download that message The Only Hope by D M Lloyd-Jones here http://www.mljtrust.org/sermons/the-only-hope/
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Okwyjesus(m): 4:07pm On Aug 29, 2013
To thee oh lamb of God l come.
But l have testimony and no provision for it.
All the same, am happy to be here.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Okwyjesus(m): 4:09pm On Aug 29, 2013
To thee oh lamb of God l come.
But l have testimony and no provision for it.
All the same, am happy to be here.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by DrummaBoy(m): 4:14pm On Aug 29, 2013
Enigma: PS I will try and do further editing on the forum version e.g. colouring/higlighting etc etc later/gradually.

That will be a good idea
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Ajibam: 4:16pm On Aug 29, 2013
Question 2

Ajibam: GALATIANS 5VS4
FOR IF YOU ARE TRYING TO MAKE YOURSELVES RIGHT WITH GOD BY KEEPING THE LAW,YOUHAVE BEEN CUT OFF FROM CHRIST! YOU HAVE FALLEN AWAY FROM GOD'S GRACE

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by benalvino(m): 4:17pm On Aug 29, 2013
[size=28pt]interesting... [/size]
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Ajibam: 4:18pm On Aug 29, 2013
Ajibam: QUESTION 1

HEBREWS7vs6
AND WHO THEN TURN AWAY FROM GOD.IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO BRING SUCH PEOPLE BACK TO REPENTANCE

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by DrummaBoy(m): 4:19pm On Aug 29, 2013
Ajibam: QUESTION 1

HEBREWS7vs6

Ajibam: GALATIANS 5VS4

@Enigma

Please can you attend to the questions raised by the able moderator? Others are welcome to try too.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Enigma(m): 4:30pm On Aug 29, 2013
Sorry, I had some background distractions.

I understand the concern raised with such warning passages especially strongly in two passages of Hebrews.

There is one danger we must avoid i.e. set scripture against scripture. Rather, we must always seek the harmony and congruence of scripture. One way of looking at "the warning passages" is to consider them as a check and balance: 'you'd better check yourself and see that you are in the faith.' I have to say that there are legitimate questions as to whether that answer is satisfactory and even I can punch some 'holes' in it.

On the other hand, the key thing to remember is that it is God who saves. Remember also that in John 3 it says that a person who is 'born again' is born of God; in other words, it is God Himself who makes a person born again. Such a person can not now be lost to God --- after being truly born again.

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by ATMC(f): 4:30pm On Aug 29, 2013
Ajibam: Am blessed........thank you enigma....God isyour strenght!!!!

@atmc.....how was the teaching
oh! beautiful n well articulated...he tried as much as possible not to digress seeing he's mouthful of the word...i learnt something
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Goshen360(m): 4:34pm On Aug 29, 2013
That was graceful answers too, @ Enigma. Bless you!
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by alexleo(m): 4:34pm On Aug 29, 2013
@Enigma,

Beautiful presentation. God bless you. Waiting for you to attend to the two questions by Ajibam.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Ajibam: 4:50pm On Aug 29, 2013
Enigma: Sorry, I had some background distractions.

I understand the concern raised with such warning passages especially strongly in two passages of Hebrews.

There is one danger we must avoid i.e. set scripture against scripture. Rather, we must always seek the harmony and congruence of scripture. One way of looking at "the warning passages" is to consider them as a check and balance: 'you'd better check yourself and see that you are in the faith.' I have to say that there are legitimate questions as to whether that answer is satisfactory and even I can punch some 'holes' in it.

On the other hand, the key thing to remember is that it is God who saves. Remember also that in John 3 it says that a person who is 'born again' is born of God; in other words, it is God Himself who makes a person born again. Such a person can not now be lost to God --- after being truly born again.

NOTED!!!!
Thanks
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Enigma(m): 4:51pm On Aug 29, 2013
Thanks Alexleo; I'm sure you are referring to the same questions that I answered above. Or am I missing something?
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by alexleo(m): 4:52pm On Aug 29, 2013
@Ajibam,

The two scripural verses you quoted are wrong pls cross check with your bible or guide me properly if am the one missing it. While we wait for the second paper. Thanks.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UyiIredia(m): 5:01pm On Aug 29, 2013
I'm outta juice. I waited for the next and only one paper has been presented so far. Goshe, what happened to the other presenters.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Ajibam: 5:09pm On Aug 29, 2013
alexleo: @Ajibam,

The two scripural verses you quoted are wrong pls cross check with your bible or guide me properly if am the one missing it. While we wait for the second paper. Thanks.

NLT sir
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by alexleo(m): 5:09pm On Aug 29, 2013
Enigma: Thanks Alexleo; I'm sure you are referring to the same questions that I answered above. Or am I missing something?

Exactly. I ve seen your answers. Sometimes I ve given some thoughts to those two scriptures and conclude that before one gets to that level where it ll be impossible to come back to God that means the person getting to the point of atheism. But I ve seen atheists who still repented and got saved. Could there be a worse point than that, which we could say is the point being reffered to in this scripture? Pls throw some light on this. Thanks.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Ajibam: 5:20pm On Aug 29, 2013
alexleo:

Exactly. I ve seen your answers. Sometimes I ve given some thoughts to those two scriptures and conclude that before one gets to that level where it ll be impossible to come back to God that means the person getting to the point of atheism. But I ve seen atheists who still repented and got saved. Could there be a worse point than that, which we could say is the point being reffered to in this scripture? Pls throw some light on this. Thanks.

Blasphemy against holyspirit may be unforgivable
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Enigma(m): 5:28pm On Aug 29, 2013
@Alexleo and Ajibam

The point you guys are raising is an extremely deep and crucially important point so I am sorry if my answers are not as detailed as they might be. The topic itself could be a subject of convention in its own right!

Anyway, a couple of things to bear in mind.

1. Jesus said that the wheat and weed/tares will grow together. He also gave us examples of different types of people who received the word; some having no root, some choked by thorns etc. This tells us that appearances can be deceptive. Supposing we know a pastor who seems to preach well etc etc; but we know that he is in the habit of stealing "God's money" or of sleeping with girls in his church ---- unrepentantly! Do we really think that person has submitted himself to be cleansed.

2. As for those who have truly submitted, it is God Himself who will strengthen them and hedge them such that they will not be lost. The worst case is that they will descend as low as the 'Prodigal Son' and end up deep in the mud --- including apparent atheism! (My boy logicboy, are you listening? smiley) But one day, the Spirit will stir within them, they will return to their senses, and they will return to their first love! Even C S Lewis is an example!

There are many examples of people who were atheists and even staunch atheists and yet one day for reasons they themselves cannot even explain, they turn back to God!

I'll like to finish with this passage from John 6

39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Ajibam: 5:35pm On Aug 29, 2013
Enigma: @Alexleo and Ajibam

The point you guys are raising is an extremely deep and crucially important point so I am sorry if my answers are not as detailed as they might be.The topic itself could be a subject of convention in its own right!

Anyway, a couple of things to bear in mind.

1. Jesus said that the wheat and weed/tares will grow together. He also gave us examples of different types of people who received the world; some having no root, some choked by thorns etc. This tells us that appearances can be deceptive. Supposing we know a pastor who seems to preach well etc etc; but we know that he is in the habit of stealing "God's money"; or of sleeping with Girls in his church ---- unrepentantly! Do we really think that person has submitted himself to be cleansed.

2. As for those who have truly submitted, it is God Himself who will strengthen them and hedge them such that they will not be lost. The worst case is that they will descend as low as the 'Prodigal Son' and end up deep in the mud --- including apparent atheism! (My boy logicboy, are you listening? smiley) But one day, the Spirit will stir within them, they will return to their senses, and they will return to their first love! Even C S Lewis is an example!

There are many examples of people who were atheists and even staunch atheists and yet one day for reasons they themselves cannot even explain, they turn back to God!

I'll like to finish with this passage from John 6

39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

O my world...I have forgotten the mystery of predestination,,
Thanks for remembering me!!
Stay blessed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Why Are We Not Seeing Miracles As Of Old? / Why You Should Not Pay Attention To The People That Say "Do Not Judge". / Ramadan: Election Riggers, Kidnappers, Yahoo Boys Fasting In Vain, Say Clerics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.