Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,682 members, 7,813,270 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) (17165 Views)

114 Babies Delivered As RCCG Convention Ends (Photo) / E-Grace Convention 20-14 / Einstein Personal Letter To E. Gutkind - "Religion Is..childish Superstition" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 2:09pm On Aug 29, 2013
HYMNS

WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN JESUS

[b]
What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged—
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;

Are we weak and heavy-laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge—
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised
Thou wilt all our burdens bear;
May we ever, Lord, be bringing
All to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright, unclouded,
There will be no need for prayer—
Rapture, praise, and endless worship
Will be our sweet portion there.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UyiIredia(m): 2:10pm On Aug 29, 2013
Ajibam:

GRACE IS GOD'S FREE AND UNDESERVED FAVOR
A DIVINE GIFT FROM GOD(eph2vs8)
BEFORE WE RECEIVE THIS GRACE,WE MUST ACCEPT JESUSCHRIST(john1vs14)
IT CANNOT BE EARN BY GOOD WORKS OR KEEPING THE LAW(rom11vs6,rom6vs14)

THE WICKED ALSO ARE ENTITLE WITH GRACE(matt5vs45)

How did the likes of David, Elisha and Abraham walk in faith WITH grace before Jesus came ?
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UyiIredia(m): 2:12pm On Aug 29, 2013
uj_sizzle: HYMNS

WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN JESUS

[b]
What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged—
Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;

Are we weak and heavy-laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge—
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised
Thou wilt all our burdens bear;
May we ever, Lord, be bringing
All to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright, unclouded,
There will be no need for prayer—
Rapture, praise, and endless worship
Will be our sweet portion there.
[/b]

I know this one. Now why hasn't anyone brought the hymn 'Amazing Grace'. Saving best for last perhaps smiley

1 Like

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 2:14pm On Aug 29, 2013
GRACE cheesy

1. Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!
Yonder on Calvary's mount outpoured,
there where the blood of the Lamb was spilt.

Refrain:
Grace, grace, God's grace,
grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
grace, grace, God's grace,
grace that is greater than all our sin!

2. Sin and despair, like the sea waves cold,
threaten the soul with infinite loss;
grace that is greater, yes, grace untold,
points to the refuge, the mighty cross.
(Refrain)

3. Dark is the stain that we cannot hide.
What can avail to wash it away?
Look! There is flowing a crimson tide,
brighter than snow you may be today.
(Refrain)

4. Marvelous, infinite, matchless grace,
freely bestowed on all who believe!
You that are longing to see his face,
will you this moment his grace receive?
(Refrain)

1 Like

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by ATMC(f): 2:14pm On Aug 29, 2013
@ujsizzle of all the hymns i know only this
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by DrummaBoy(m): 2:16pm On Aug 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I know this one. Now why hasn't anyone brought the hymn 'Amazing Grace'. Saving best for last perhaps smiley

[size=14pt]Amazing Grace[/size]

Amazing grace! how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch; like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!

The Lord hath promised good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.

When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we first begun.

Source: http://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn.php/h/313#ixzz2dIXBSbI6

1 Like

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 2:17pm On Aug 29, 2013
Story of AMAZING GRACE

The story of 'Amazing Grace' is found in the Bible, heard in the hymn and demonstrated in the lives of countless followers of Christ. The hymn, first titled 'Faith's Review and Expectation' was written by John Newton whose story is as amazing as the Grace that was his salvation. He began life as the priviliged son of a sea captain, became a slave and a slave ship captain before becoming a servant of Christ.

John's mother, a fragile but determined woman, dedicated herself to his education. She taught him to read and write and fervently prayed that he become a minister of the Gospel. By the time John was four she had taught him to read the Scriptures and recite hymns from 'Divine and
Moral Songs for Children' by Isaac Watts. When John was only six years old his mother died. His father remarried and John was sent on to boarding school. He was a good student who, by age ten, could read Latin and showed a keen interest in mathematics.

When John was eleven his father took him to sea. He spent six years with his father on several voyages. John's father was a well respected man and captain who sought and secured several positions of opportunity for his son. But John, who was becoming increasingly rebellious, methodically squandered them all. Through his fathers influence he began several voyages in positions of authority only to be demoted to common seaman. He strayed so far from his mothers spiritual teaching that he began influencing others away from deeply held beliefs. His life had so degenerated that he was often disliked and distrusted by officers and crew alike. He ran from his fathers support, ignored his superior officers authority and fell so far from his mothers dreams that he became known among sailors as "The Great Blasphemer."

During one of these voyages, at John's request and to his new captains relief, he was allowed to accompany, and became a partner with, a slave trader from West Africa. His partner was married to an African princess who took an instant disliking to John. During one of his partners absences he fell gravely ill and his partners wife took advantage of the situation. John found himself enslaved, brutalized and begging for food. Ironically, the other slaves were his only source of mercy. He was eventually rescued, at his fathers urging, and began a return journey to England. On this journey John once again earned the disdain of captain and crew. This was the voyage, however, that was to change John's life in ways that he could not imagine. He began to wrestle with his conscience during a violent storm in March of 1748. After seeing a shipmate washed overboard, feeling a resignation to death among the crew and discussing their situation with his captain, a plea rose from within him: "If this will not do, the Lord have mercy on us!" As he shouted he wondered; could there be any mercy for one who profaned the Lord's name as effectively and deliberately as he?

In seeking an answer to his question John Newton was led back to the Bible. On March 21st, lashed to the helm of a foundering ship, he considered many verses which he began to see in the Light of Truth. He was especially struck by the story of the prodigal son in Luke, chapter 15. He marveled at the father who raced to meet his wayward son and he felt hope for his own soul. When the badly damaged ship finally dropped anchor, a transformed John Newton went safely ashore. Two years later, with his fathers blessing, he married his childhood sweetheart, Mary Catlett.

The slave trade, at the time, was a respectable profession and John continued in it for some time before illness forced him to leave the sea. (Years later his testimony before Parliament and his 'Thoughts upon the African Slave Trade' published in 1787 helped influence law makers to abolish slave trade within British colonies in 1807 and emancipate ,in 1833. British colonial slaves.)

In 1755, in need of employment, he was offered and accepted the position of Surveyor of the Tides in Liverpool England. While at sea he began a disciplined study of the Bible which he continued ashore. He also became friend to George Whitfield, deacon of the Church of England and John Wesley, the founder of Methodism.

At the age of 39, on his second attempt at ordination, his mothers prayers were answered and John Newton was appointed Curate of Olney in Buckinghamshire where, three years later he met the poet William Cowper. In 1779 the first edition of the 'Olney Hymns' was published containing 348 pieces, 67 by Cowper and 281 by Newton, including what would later be known to the world as 'Amazing Grace'. Shortly after it's first publication John left Olney to become pastor of St. Mary Woolnoth Church in London. He remained in that position until his death December 21,1807. The epitaph he wrote for his tombstone reads: "John Newton, Clerk, once an infidel and libertine, a servant of slaves in Africa, was, by the rich mercy of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, restored, pardoned, and appointed to preach the gospel he had long labored to destroy.

3 Likes

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by ATMC(f): 2:18pm On Aug 29, 2013
uj_sizzle: GRACE cheesy

Refrain:

(Refrain)

(Refrain)

(Refrain)

wow I only know d chorus...babe u r a correct anglican
uj_sizzle: GRACE cheesy

Refrain:

(Refrain)

(Refrain)

(Refrain)

wow
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 2:19pm On Aug 29, 2013
ATMC: wow I only know d chorus...babe u r a correct anglican
wow

lol na God oo
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by ATMC(f): 2:20pm On Aug 29, 2013
bikonunu nu oooo k' anyi startizianu na
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by ATMC(f): 2:20pm On Aug 29, 2013
uj_sizzle:

lol na God oo
mgbe mbu kwanu
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 2:22pm On Aug 29, 2013
STAND UP FOR JESUS smiley

Stand up, stand up for Jesus! ye soldiers of the cross;
Lift high His royal banner, it must not suffer loss:
From vict’ry unto vict’ry, His army shall He lead,
Till every foe is vanquished, and Christ is Lord indeed.

Stand up, stand up for Jesus! The trumpet call obey:
Forth to the mighty conflict, in this His glorious day;
Ye that are men now serve Him against unnumbered foes;
Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

Stand up, stand up for Jesus! Stand in His strength alone,
The arm of flesh will fail you, ye dare not trust your own;
Put on the gospel armor, and watching unto prayer,
Where calls the voice of duty, be never wanting there.

Stand up, stand up for Jesus! the strife will not be long;
This day the noise of battle, the next the victor’s song;
To him that overcometh a crown of life shall be;
He with the King of glory shall reign eternally.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Ajibam: 2:22pm On Aug 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

How did the likes of David, Elisha and Abraham walk in faith WITH grace before Jesus came ?

Gal3vs18
FOR IF THE INHERITANCE COULD BE RECEIVED BY KEEPING THE LAW,THEN IT WOLD NOT BE THE RESULT OF ACCEPTING GOD'S PROMISE.
BUT GOD GRACIOUSLY GAVE IT TOABRAHAM AS A PROMISE

Psalm84vs11
FOR THELORDGOD ISOUR SUN ABD OUR SHIELD.HE GIVESUS GRACE AND GLORY.
THELORD WILL UPHOLD NO GOOD THING FROM THOSE WHO DO WHAT IS RIGHT

THIS TELLS US THAT THOSE ANCIENT PAPA'S DO WHAT IS RIGHT IN THE FACE OF THE LORD AND THEY RECEIVE GRACE...
ONLY WHEN JESUS COME,,THE GRACE WAS PAID WITH HIS BLOOD NOT BEEN RIGHTEOUS WITH GOD..
THATS WHY YOU ARE ALIVE...
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 2:23pm On Aug 29, 2013
ATMC: mgbe mbu kwanu
My dad raised me well smiley
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 2:25pm On Aug 29, 2013
What's keeping them?
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Ajibam: 2:26pm On Aug 29, 2013
Thanks to our supermods for teleporting it to front page.......
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UyiIredia(m): 2:26pm On Aug 29, 2013
Past 2. Omo men ! This African time serious o ! Still waiting tho smiley
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UyiIredia(m): 2:27pm On Aug 29, 2013
babe_online: I just hope there will be no missing kid...

Don't worry sweerie. I will make sure to take you to mummy when service ends smiley
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Ajibam: 2:27pm On Aug 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Past 2. Omo men ! This African time serious o ! Still waiting tho smiley

My wedding day will be different
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by ATMC(f): 2:29pm On Aug 29, 2013
uj_sizzle:
My dad raised me well smiley
...then yhu became the daughter of the bullet, wait, is that the feminine of 'son of gun?'
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 2:31pm On Aug 29, 2013
ATMC: ...then yhu became the daughter of the bullet, wait, is that the feminine of 'son of gun?'

hehe i have no idea
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 2:31pm On Aug 29, 2013
more hymns
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by ATMC(f): 2:31pm On Aug 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Past 2. Omo men ! This African time serious o ! Still waiting tho smiley
come with ur patience robe was not in the flyer but i was clever to bring mine, u nko, did yhu?
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by ATMC(f): 2:32pm On Aug 29, 2013
uj_sizzle: more hymns
yeah
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 2:33pm On Aug 29, 2013
ATMC: yeah
okie smiley
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UyiIredia(m): 2:34pm On Aug 29, 2013
Come to think of it we could say we are in the Hymn section of the programme. Tea hing's next up and the time is ticking. If shmsdemidemi can't start maybe Enigma or one of the speakers too. We are waiting . . .
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Enigma(m): 2:35pm On Aug 29, 2013
^^^I'd be happy to do that --- if ok with organisers? smiley
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 2:35pm On Aug 29, 2013
BLESSED ASSURANCE

1. Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.

Refrain:
This is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long;
this is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long.

2. Perfect submission, perfect delight,
visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
angels descending bring from above
echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
(Refrain)

3. Perfect submission, all is at rest;
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
watching and waiting, looking above,
filled with his goodness, lost in his love.
(Refrain)

BE UPLIFTED smiley

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by ATMC(f): 2:36pm On Aug 29, 2013
where's dagr8 to serve us some delicacies
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 2:36pm On Aug 29, 2013
Enigma: ^^^I'd be happy to do that --- if ok with organisers? smiley

I'M TIRED OF WAITING
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by ATMC(f): 2:38pm On Aug 29, 2013
#singing mode activated...this is my story this is my song praising my saaaaviour all the day long ***pianist****

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Why Is Sexual Sin Devil's Most Powerful Weapon? / Differences Between Demonic Initiation And Christian Spiritual Awakening / 'If You Remove Church, Nigeria Will Collapse’ — RCCG Pastor, Pat Akem-Vingir

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.