Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) (34132 Views)

Aisha Buhari Visits The Olubadan Of Ibadan In His Palace. Pic / Throwback Photo Of Bukola Saraki & His Dad In The 60s / Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 10:58am On Aug 31, 2013
sagytarius™:
What happened to Nigeria?

Ironsi happened to Nigeria. He made Nigeria a unitary state and effectively killed the healthy rivalry between the regions.
The groundnuts pyramids disappeared, cocoa production started to declined and the future of Nigeria given on a platter to incompetent despots for decades.

5 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by moshoodn(m): 11:05am On Aug 31, 2013
lygn19: Nyc city... How come in 30years it became nigeria's slum estate

Best artifacts and structures erode and corrode with time....

....Especially, if you don't maintain them!!!
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by jonescyras(m): 11:09am On Aug 31, 2013
Brimmie: Your point tho?? And what's political about this?
I can't blame you... I put the blame on F.G n ASUU
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by johnstar(m): 11:13am On Aug 31, 2013
c as dat boi, by nw na man... dey shine teeth wit him bushy hair, dat guy go don dey nairaland nw dey browse o cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Afam4eva(m): 11:13am On Aug 31, 2013
I think the main factors that has made cities like Lagos and Ibadan to wear out compared to how they were in the 60s is population, lack of proper management and the centralization of power. Had the western region still been in vogue, Ibadan would have been the most important city in the region and the government of the region would have done everything possible to sustain it. But now the Nigeria is being run from Abuja, a lot of cities have been neglected and a lot of people have migrated to these big cities to better their life and this population explosion has contributed immensely in what these cities have become. However, cities like Enugu and Calabar have not suffered what Ibadan has suffered because they've not experienced the pressure that Lagos, Ibadan, Onitsha, Aba and Port-hacourt have experienced. Their population is still moderate and they have the infrastructure to handle their current population.

4 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Pain(m): 11:16am On Aug 31, 2013
Aigbofa:

Ironsi happened to Nigeria. He made Nigeria a unitary state and effectively killed the healthy rivalry between the regions.
The groundnuts pyramids disappeared, cocoa production started to declined and the future of Nigeria given on a platter to incompetent despots for decades.

No wonder he is not on any Naira Bill? Waht a faux pas

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 31, 2013
Afam4eva: I think the main factors that has made cities like Lagos and Ibadan to wear out compared to how they were in the 60s is population, lack of proper management and the centralization of power. Had the western region still been in vogue, Ibadan would have been the most important city in the region and the government of the region would have done everything possible to sustain it. But now the Nigeria is being run from Abuja, a lot of cities have been neglected and a lot of people have migrated to these big cities to better their life and this population explosion has contributed immensely in what these cities have become. However, cities like Enugu and Calabar have not suffered what Ibadan has suffered because they've not experienced the pressure that Lagos, Ibadan, Onitsha, Aba and Port-hacourt have experienced. Their population is still moderate and they have the infrastructure to handle their current population.

Sometimes I wonder if someone hijacked your ID. It is always good to tell the truth.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by IGBOSON1: 11:20am On Aug 31, 2013

^^^One answer: Nigeria! let's be honest here! It's the same story with other cities that were on an upward trajectory in the 60s!

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by albiol: 11:21am On Aug 31, 2013
Oh God why did we chase d colonial masters away

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Afam4eva(m): 11:21am On Aug 31, 2013
Aigbofa:

Sometimes I wonder if someone hijacked your ID. It always good to tell the truth.
When i say what you like, it's the truth. No problem.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by IGBOSON1: 11:23am On Aug 31, 2013
albiol: Oh God why did we chase d colonial masters away

^^^ grin grin grin
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 11:24am On Aug 31, 2013
Afam4eva:
When i say what you like, it's the truth. No problem.

Truth is sacrosanct my friend.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by ichidodo: 11:27am On Aug 31, 2013
Rustic Old Settlement
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Horus(m): 11:28am On Aug 31, 2013
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by PastorOla1: 11:30am On Aug 31, 2013
Those who are responsible for backwardness of our Nation, May God reward them accordingly to the measure of the EVIL done against the Nigerian Nation.

4 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Austeenxx: 11:30am On Aug 31, 2013
johnstar: c as dat boi, by nw na man... dey shine teeth wit him bushy hair, dat guy go don dey nairaland nw dey browse o cheesy cheesy cheesy

Wait, na person Grandpa you dey yab like that? grin :d
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by naptu2: 11:36am On Aug 31, 2013
This is one of the reasons why I will never support a return to military rule (in which one Colonel who is the state governor, will take orders from one General at the centre).

Things are gradually improving because we have competition between different political parties, governments, etc.

Would you believe that Colonel Marwa had to obtain permission from General Abacha before he could move from State House Ikeja to State House Marina? Of course an elected governor does not need such permission from an elected president.

3 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Olufhemy(m): 11:39am On Aug 31, 2013
When we see things like this,we musnt 4get to say:
THANK YOU AWO!!!!
Like it or not,he developed al dis as premier when ibadan was capital of western region.
(Not necessarily built)
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by airmark(m): 11:45am On Aug 31, 2013
My chic must not see that first pic shocked. But at least we have skyscrapers in Ibadan!. Let me ask her if they have in enugu. grin
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by simjummy: 11:46am On Aug 31, 2013
[quote author=fitzmayowa]End time tinz...[/quotewhat has endtime got to do with this?
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by acethean(m): 11:47am On Aug 31, 2013
why are u all lamenting about the past. that ibadan is gone and we to think about gettin things back on track and way forward for our dear country.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by bashydemy(m): 12:06pm On Aug 31, 2013
True son of Ibadan land. My home land will return to her old glory days.

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by dridowu: 12:06pm On Aug 31, 2013
I can c kenneth dike library
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by dokunbam(m): 12:21pm On Aug 31, 2013
Crassus: more ib

mowo bata BATA

meaning i wear shoes bought from BATA

i could remember going with my DAD to Bata to buy Christmas shoe and school sandals

they are real leather
i mean hard real leather shoes

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Sagamite(m): 1:22pm On Aug 31, 2013

Because the fucktards of the state voted for Alao Akala.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by geedeex2(m): 1:27pm On Aug 31, 2013
ARE YOU SURE THIS IS IBADAN OF IN THE SIXTIES OR ITS IBADAN BY 2097
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Eledan: 1:27pm On Aug 31, 2013
Sagamite:

Because the fucktards of the state voted for Alao Akala.

I missed this word...! Where have you been? grin
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by nairamaker: 1:56pm On Aug 31, 2013
Now, they will give us on lousy bridge and throw party like they used their money to do us a favour.
We are d new generation, we will safeguard d cultural values of d Yoruba race, we will prepare d future for d coming generation, We will defend any oppressed Yoruba man and we will fight any Yoruba man oppressing people, we will condemn evil and uphold the 'OMOLUABI' tenet. Pls join us on www.omokaroojire.com to clean up the space a bit.
Its fun socializing in our mother's tongue and rebuilding our society.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 2:07pm On Aug 31, 2013
Ibadan was a first class city in the making, but Nigeria as a country derailed Ibadan and the SW in general..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

ICPC Recovers 40 Cars From Ex-Directors Of Federal Ministry Of Water Resources(p / Lai Mohammed Berates Canadian Government, Twitter Over Handling Of Protests / APC Wins Ekiti North Senatorial Election, NNPP Candidate Releases Statement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.