Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,611 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? (5437 Views)

Why Do Atheists Attack Mostly Christians? / How Do You Explain Miracles, Incantations And Magic? / How Do Atheists Explain The Existense Of Intelligent Designs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Elxandre(m): 4:27pm On Sep 02, 2013
I am asking this question as a sort of sequel to the thread asking about "how do you prove to atheists that God exists?"
I therefore have a question for Atheists and i want sensible replies
How do you as an atheist explain miracles from your so called logical reasoning
*I have seen a disabled man walk!
*Many others too have once experienced crippled, confirmed blind, deaf,crazed fellows healed.e.t.c
*A man crazed for years and well known was healed by just "in jesus name get out of this body you spirit of madness"

And i'm not a crazy sheepish christian
who swallows anything i hear! i'm as logical as many atheists.
You are required to try explain these miraculous happenings and not try to disprove them, because they are beyond doubt..*(dont tell me they got their powers from demonic sources because you as an atheist is not expected to beleive in spiritism or spiritual phenomenons.)*
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 02, 2013
This is the exact question i ask myself....what do atheists think about miracles....please atheists(bunch of confused people) drop your replies here
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by omiobo: 4:56pm On Sep 02, 2013
OP,you are belittling the power of devil. I'm very sure he will inspire them to post rubbish and even quote the bible upside down to back up their rubbish.
Watch and see!
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by wiegraf: 5:23pm On Sep 02, 2013
How do you explain the fact that miracles, supposedly rare events, seem to be conspicuous only at tithe loving churches? And said chuches seem capable of 'miracles' only amongst sheeple?

How do you explain the fact that this miracle performing priests have never once say regenerated someone's limbs, let it be a born again person sef, objectively and in a scientific setting, where professionals can observe, investigate and document the results?

Or does god not care, does he only help people only in bogus situations and after they grovel and plead at his feet?

Bill gates is trying to get rid of malaria, an ailment that's safe to say will affect you, at a great personal cost to himself. In fact, you'll probably tell him he's going to hell simply because he doesn't believe donkeys can talk, and you'll also call him a foo.l simply because he's sane. He's doing the best he can with the resources he has. So, are you saying your loving omnipotent god, that has the power to achieve anything feasible, won't help limbless people until they beg and grovel and slave at his feet? And preferably, they should pay tithe?

Actually, long story short, how can you, supposedly equipped with a human brain capable of reason, believe this nonsense? How old are you, do you still believe in santa as well?

5 Likes

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 02, 2013
If miracles were 100% guaranteed, there'd be no need for hospitals.

What exactly are miracles?

2 Likes

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Elxandre(m): 5:29pm On Sep 02, 2013
wiegraf: How do you explain the fact that miracles, supposedly rare events, seem to be conspicuous only at tithe loving churches? And said chuches seem capable of 'miracles' only amongst sheeple?

How do you explain the fact that this miracle performing priests have never once say regenerated someone's limbs, let it be a born again person sef, objectively and in a scientific setting, where professionals can observe, investigate and document the results?

Or does god not care, does he only

stick to the topic please!
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by wiegraf: 5:31pm On Sep 02, 2013
Elxandre:
stick to the topic please!

You probably should check a doc to see if you're re.tarded

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Elxandre(m): 5:32pm On Sep 02, 2013
aManFromMars: If miracles were 100% guaranteed, there'd be no need for hospitals.

What exactly are miracles?
Put up a good defence! u are derailing the topic.
Explain how those sparse miracles that happen occur.
*Dont tell me u dont know what i mean by miracles!
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 02, 2013
Elxandre:
Put up a good defence! u are derailing the topic.
Explain how those sparse miracles that happen occur.
*Dont tell me u dont know what i mean by miracles!
Take weigraf's advice.

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Elxandre(m): 5:50pm On Sep 02, 2013
wiegraf:

You probably should check a doc to see if you're re.tarded
How do you expect a man to generate new limbs?
I wrote clearly that you are not asked to question the existence of miracles. you are asked to explain how they occur.
Some of these miracles i'm talking had geniue real life witnesses.
A man born lame who got up and walked is as spectacular as a man growing new limbs because he generated new muscles, ligaments e.t.c.
**And why the childish insults?
If you have nothing constructive to say, you dont need to post.
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by wiegraf: 6:14pm On Sep 02, 2013
Elxandre:
How do you expect a man to generate new limbs?
I wrote clearly that you are not asked to question the existence of miracles. you are asked to explain how they occur.
Some of these miracles i'm talking had geniue real life witnesses.
A man born lame who got up and walked is as spectacular as a man growing new limbs because he generated new muscles, ligaments e.t.c.
**And why the childish insults?
If you have nothing constructive to say, you dont need to post.

How do I expect a man to grow a new limb? Wtf is a miracle? What foo.lishness is this? Is your omnipotent god incapable of something science will soon be fully capable of? You do know we can already grow organs like ears, lungs and pipis in labs, yes? You also know other forms of life can regenerate lost limbs, tails, tentacles etc? In fact, apparently there's a worm that can regenerate itself from a sigle cell? Or is your omniscient god unaware of all this? Miracles can't do that yet science can?

To top that, you expect to be taken seriously because of 'genuine, real life witnesses'. In other words; hearsay. Of sheeple....

Here's a list of psychiatric centers in the country. The sooner the better imo

www.ynaija.com/you-can-get-help-these-are-registered-mental-health-centres-in-nigeria-breakthesilence/

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by jayriginal: 8:37pm On Sep 02, 2013
Elxandre:

You do know that if there is an explanation, it probably cant count as a miracle dont you?

2 Likes

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:11am On Sep 03, 2013
OP.....im not going to dispute the fact that somethings happened in your church or other churches which you cant explain personally. But you should be moved to question things and investigate them critically before you tag them or give a final decision on them. To explain the concept of your miracle stuff.....you should agree with me that there are prophetic schools, evangelicalism schools and miracle/healing schools. These are the things we found in our society. If you dont believe me, you can check the following links:

http://www.cacworldwide.net/schools/seminaryabout.asp

^^^^ thats core school of prophet where you can be taught how to see vision.....read mind, random prophet message and receiving message from deity

another one is
http://www.christembassy.org/site/ourministry/healingschool

^^^^ healing school where you learn how to cast demon, make me fall in disguise of spirit- exorcism and doing cheap miracles.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Babajide-School-Of-Prophets-And-Evangelists-Ilesa-Osun-State-Nigeria/218096108295689?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C6740079062

^^^ Evangelism school.......daddy is a good preacher and can move mass at once on stage.....

Hope you see now that they are teaching people how to do miracle, heals, prophesy and evangelism (carry more people at once by drawing attention).

What do you think they teach in this school? These are the place were pastors, prophet and miracle workers are recruit. Basically, we should know that these institute are not theological school or where mathematics and english is taught. What then are they teaching pupils there? I think you should question that.

Let me give sides of this schooling and miracle.

- Intellectual stage work: this one is all set up. all paid actors to do this. until this guy heals someone with say....missing limb or something that theres no possible way you can deny it, then believe it. until then its just a fraud trying to get money and fame. you may say "oh he doesnt accept money for this!" guess what.. yes he does. how? he "heals" people. people come to his church. they request tithes and offerings as all churchs do. more people = more church income = more personal payments. Its called acting dont believe it unless it happened to you especially stuff on videos and those they do from crusades. Remember, "god" is nothing more than a nonsense word created by man to explain away all of the things we can't yet understand.
Religion is a disease of the mind, born of fear, which has done nothing but bring untold misery down upon the human race... Imagine when someone is healed from HIV, blindness, diseases....how can you confirm it truth? If it truth, then bring one pastor and lets go to hospital for him to pray. I cant forgive church for this because I lost my grandmother to CAC church that claim medical treatment shouldn't be allow on her unless fasting and prayer. At the end, we were told it God's time for mama to die.

- Random prophecy: Here if you are in a crusade, you know those who are less priviledge by their look and behaviour. A crusade contain thousands people......IF I SHOULD SAY I RECEIVED A MESSAGE FROM GOD THAT ONE WOMAN IS HAVING MARITAL PROBLEM FROM DEMONS ....there must be marital problem where more than hundreds people which are mostly women/ladies gather. OR I SAW SOMEONE IS HAVING FINANCIAL PROBLEM FROM GENERATION CURSE ...can it be possible for one among mass without financial problem in Nigeria? If someone admit he is having any of this problem...I can create attributes if im trained on prophetic task or divination.

- Intelligent Prediction and guessing: It is called eisegesis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisegesis. The pastor gather little information and build on it. Most of them are vague and could be stretched to fit almost anyone and anything. It's the same thing people do with Nostradamus' predictions.

- Esoteric natural practises : Olive oil is made up of chemical.....handkerchief can hold chemicals and chemical can lead to different reaction. This give birth to casting demon, spiritual falling and hallucination. All these can be done under chemical applications and reactions which are secret to you. Also there are other secret things they do and processes they undertake......if you work with celestial church or C/S, you will get clearer picture.

- Mind controlling : this is the best tool they teach in this school. It involve trauma-based mind control. What do you expect if C. Ronaldo determined to give you an audience and/or possibly chance to shake you. Some people cant stand this.....some will be over-joyous and may loose balance. P square prove this here https://www.nairaland.com/1123555/picture-girls-fainted-during-psquare

If a popular pastor like Adeboye got the chance of touching most people especially female.. Most of them will fall and claim it divination but this is mind game.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by barackohandso(m): 1:44am On Sep 03, 2013
@ folykaze, so so on point.

@OP, you claim these events have life witnesses: pure hearsay(them say), it's a proven hypothesis that you can sell LIES with confidence more than you can sell the TRUTH without confidence/with humility, so as long as you didn't witness it, it's most likely coming from a confidence-oozing person(more likely to be believed). That being said, you can also witness it & it's still a fake(most likely). You'll be lying if you say you haven't heard of prophets who fake signs & wonders, & I'm sure you'll be shocked to know it was a fluke. Atheists/agnostics on the other hand won't be cos we're realists. No doubt there are strange occurences, it doesn't in any way disprove atheism.

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:56am On Sep 03, 2013
Elxandre: I am asking this question as a sort of sequel to the thread asking about "how do you prove to atheists that God exists?"
I therefore have a question for Atheists and i want sensible replies
How do you as an atheist explain miracles from your so called logical reasoning
*I have seen a disabled man walk!
*Many others too have once experienced crippled, confirmed blind, deaf,crazed fellows healed.e.t.c
*A man crazed for years and well known was healed by just "in jesus name get out of this body you spirit of madness"

Im very sorry bro. I wont dispute it if those so-called miracles you listed there were stuff you read from testimonial leaflet, watched on tv or it happened in your church. The critice that might arose is that do you investigate these miracles on your own or just belief what you were told?

- for how long do you know the crippled, craze, deaf, or blind man?
- documents containing information about their disabilities.
- questioning suspicious roles
- observing miracle earner or check documents containing information he is healed.

Here is a help on how to check testimony http://www.users.on.net/~pmoran/cancer/how_to_read_a_testimonial.htm

Since you asked for explanation and not disproving..... I will simply say it STAGED WORK OR TRICK OR CONFIRMED VIDEO EDIT

And i'm not a crazy sheepish christian
who swallows anything i hear! i'm as logical as many atheists.
You are required to try explain these miraculous happenings and not try to disprove them, because they are beyond doubt..*(dont tell me they got their powers from demonic sources because you as an atheist is not expected to beleive in spiritism or spiritual phenomenons.)*

The bold.....you got it wrong. Spirituality is quit different from what religion depict it as. It obvious that religion has stolen spirituality but they are somewhat different and not necessary afflicted together.

Let me help explaining it..... Pls take away the corrupt depiction of spirit as one walking monster that kills, talk, destroy or deliver message from you mind.

This is exactly what spirituality is.

The idea of a process or journey of self-discovery and of learning not only who you are, but who you want to be.

The challenge of reaching beyond your current limits. This can include keeping an open mind, questioning current beliefs, or trying to better understand others' beliefs.

A connectedness to yourself and to others. Spirituality is personal, but it is also rooted in being connected with others and with the world around you. This connection can facilitate you finding "your place in the world."

Meaning, purpose, and direction. Spirituality, while it doesn't necessarily solve or reach conclusions, often embraces the concept of searching and moving forward in the direction of meaning, purpose, and direction for your life.

http://swc.osu.edu/about-us/spirituality/

If you can say the buddhist or Jains are spiritual.....does that mean they believe in God/demon?

You cant rule further on atheist other than disbelief, absence of believe in the existence of God. Hopefully we got some atheist that believe in spirit, extraterrestial, or ghost. You can check it up.....

I cant speak for other atheist as per the bold.....spirit to me isn't what it is to you or some of the atheist......but if you agree the term spirit mean life force, or breath or consciousness or natural patterns that made up minds then I will say yes Im atheist and believe in spirit. But demons or spirit depicted as monsters or some supernatural beings? Nope I dont agree with that

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Olutboy: 5:55pm On Sep 03, 2013
i think i have heard of dead people raised up from dead how can that be explained
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Sep 03, 2013
Olu_t.boy:
i think i have heard of dead people raised up from dead how can that be explained
They were never dead in the first place...

3 Likes

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by nora544: 6:09pm On Sep 03, 2013
I know from one person, he has lung cancer, and the doctor told him that chemotherapy didnot work like they want it, this man chane his life and what he eat and every body has a self-healing process, that has something to do with the brain, and he start this, he is not a christian, what the doctors found out after they told him to stop with the chemotherapy that the lung cancer become smaller and smaller and after one year they didnot found anything and that is what i see and what i belief, because they show that he realy had cancer but now in this modern churches this miracles will happen every day, it is only that they get money from there beliefers this pastors make nothing.

When Adeboye will touch a lady she will fell in a blackout, you see this on small girls also what they come very close to there hearo, there star so it is a normal effect, ever doctor can explain this.
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:07pm On Sep 03, 2013
nora544: I know from one person, he has lung cancer, and the doctor told him that chemotherapy didnot work like they want it, this man chane his life and what he eat and every body has a self-healing process, that has something to do with the brain, and he start this, he is not a christian, what the doctors found out after they told him to stop with the chemotherapy that the lung cancer become smaller and smaller and after one year they didnot found anything and that is what i see and what i belief, because they show that he realy had cancer but now in this modern churches this miracles will happen every day, it is only that they get money from there beliefers this pastors make nothing.

When Adeboye will touch a lady she will fell in a blackout, you see this on small girls also what they come very close to there hearo, there star so it is a normal effect, ever doctor can explain this.

Most of what you got here had been treated in my previous post. Mind reading it again?

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by bizmahn: 2:44am On Sep 04, 2013
A THREAD WHERE ATHEISM IS FULLY FINALLY DEBUNKED.THEY HAVE NO EXPLANATION SIMPLY PUT.
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Nobody: 2:49am On Sep 04, 2013
bizmahn: A THREAD WHERE ATHEISM IS FULLY FINALLY DEBUNKED.THEY HAVE NO EXPLANATION SIMPLY PUT.

grin grin grin grin

undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by bizmahn: 2:59am On Sep 04, 2013
Since church history,MILLIONS of documented & undocumented miracles where doctor certified blind from birth could see,doctor & society confirmed deaf & dumb from birth could hear & speak,crippled walk,myriads of medically certified dead restored to life,chronic,violent madness & demonic possession loosed are counted for nothing by atheists just because they hate the idea of a God.
https://www.nairaland.com/1341058/atheism-willful-unbelief
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by RayMcBlue(m): 7:23am On Sep 04, 2013
@Op, Miracle is not really spiritual.

Take for instance, a friend of mine suffers from a migraine, and was desperate for a cure. Science wouldn't give him that, rather it manages it. But my friend wanted an absolute cure, which droves him into religion. One day, he met a certain well known pastor one on one, and the pastor told him to go home and take a couple of valium then lie down and try to sleep, which he did and presto... the migraine disappeared completely as he woke up.

Now, our Christian friends will predictably start shouting their customary 'Praises' to their God and claiming 'miracle', but the truth of the matter is it ain't.

It's simply a psychological phenomenon, nothing more. My friend believed whole-heartedly that the Valium would cure him even before taking it, and the brain relayed the message to the nervous system that everything is okay, and the migraine disappeared. Apparently, a Psychologist and Neorologist would be able to explain this better than I.

There was a test conducted on a certain individual. He was given an injection that was originally water, but was told it was a poison of some kind that could kill within 5 minutes. In less than 3 minutes, the patient started displaying all the symptoms that a real victim of the said poison would display. Why? Simply because he accepted wholeheartedly that it's over for him. Again, Psychology 101.

In conclusion, Miracle is nothing but psychological manifestation of well-being, and varies from individual to individual.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by bizmahn: 8:21am On Sep 04, 2013
Ray McBlue: @Op, Miracle is not really spiritual.

Take for instance, a friend of mine suffers from a migraine, and was desperate for a cure. Science wouldn't give him that, rather it manages it. But my friend wanted an absolute cure, which droves him into religion. One day, he met a certain well known pastor one on one, and the pastor told him to go home and take a couple of valium then lie down and try to sleep, which he did and presto... the migraine disappeared completely as he woke up.

Now, our Christian friends will predictably start shouting their customary 'Praises' to their God and claiming 'miracle', but the truth of the matter is it ain't.

It's simply a psychological phenomenon, nothing more. My friend believed whole-heartedly that the Valium would cure him even before taking it, and the brain relayed the message to the nervous system that everything is okay, and the migraine disappeared. Apparently, a Psychologist and Neorologist would be able to explain this better than I.

There was a test conducted on a certain individual. He was given an injection that was originally water, but was told it was a poison of some kind that could kill within 5 minutes. In less than 3 minutes, the patient started displaying all the symptoms that a real victim of the said poison would display. Why? Simply because he accepted wholeheartedly that it's over for him. Again, Psychology 101.

In conclusion, Miracle is nothing but psychological manifestation of well-being, and varies from individual to individual.

--
bizmahn: A THREAD WHERE ATHEISM IS FULLY FINALLY DEBUNKED.THEY HAVE NO EXPLANATION SIMPLY PUT.
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by engrtee(f): 2:13pm On Sep 04, 2013
atheist have no explanation for anything. they are only god at criticizing others explanation
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Sep 04, 2013
"Is it more probable that nature should go out of her course,or that a man should tell a lie?We have never seen,in our time,nature go out of her course;but we have good reason to believe that millions of lies have been told in the same time;it is therefore,at least millions to one,that the reporter of a miracle tells a lie."-THOMAS PAYNE

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 04, 2013
It is this sort of reasoning that makes me ashamed of Christians.. they never investigate miracles to prove them true.
Enebeli Elebuwa was cured, yet he died of the same illness, hundreds get up from Wheel-chairs and walk only to return the next few months for the same Miracle at Synagogue, Cripples without limbs are excluded from miracles. Christians never doubt miracles even if they were false. now the question is... are there any miracles e.g AIDS cure, Blindness Cure, Fibroids Spiritual Surgery etc that can be validated against a medical doctor's report? It begs the question.

Let us get pride out of the way. can we put the doubts to the sword and pick up a limbless person and have God perform the Miracle of creation he wrought many centuries ago?

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 04, 2013
Miracles sometimes though rarely do occur, the point however is that miracles are by no means the special preserve of Christians as many would have us believe, history is littered with instances of miracles performed by those who were no more a Christian than say my dog, from the likes of Apollonius of Tyana, of whom, for many the life of Christ himself is said to be modelled after, to as recently as the late 1980's when statuettes of the Hindu god Ganesh inexplicably started to accept milk offerings worldwide from adherents. These things do happen. Those trained in particular esoteric arts can perform healings and no...I am not referring to the present pantheon of suited and booted impostors who call themselves ''faith healers'' Christian, Muslim or Animist, a miracle can occur within your paradigm.
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Kay17: 8:34pm On Sep 04, 2013
What is a miracle?

A remote odd or a logical impossibility?
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Elxandre(m): 9:27am On Sep 05, 2013
What about a mad man known crazed for decades by many being cured?
@folykaze do you believe that for any force that exists, there is bound to be some opposing force capable of countering this force?
If as you said some atheists believe in spirits, they have to understand this analogy that good and evil spirits do exist. and a chance therefore that a Governing superior force thus exists.
*And dont you guys think the bible is too detailed and historically astute to be total fiction?..
*sorry about your grandmum tho! churches take things to the extreme sometimes!
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Miracles? by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 05, 2013
Elxandre: What about a mad man known crazed for decades by many being cured?
@folykaze do you believe that for any force that exists, there is bound to be some opposing force capable of countering this force?
If as you said some atheists believe in spirits, they have to understand this analogy that good and evil spirits do exist. and a chance therefore that a Governing superior force thus exists.
*And dont you guys think the bible is too detailed and historically astute to be total fiction?..
*sorry about your grandmum tho! churches take things to the extreme sometimes!

I beg to differ.. the Bible is in FACT riddled with so many Historical Inconsistencies that lend strong credence to its fallibility. It is a journey you should take and you will be immensely surprised that what you thought were accurate historical accounts are so far apart they are no different from cleverly told lies by Biblical Historians. Open your mind

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are You Preparing how to be living From September 2015 / Why You Should Ignore Atheists / 60 Questions For The Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.