Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,061 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

My Reappraisal Of The Bible - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Reappraisal Of The Bible (3432 Views)

Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / My Reappraisal Of The Bible / What's Your Favourite Verse(s)/chapter(s) In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by plaetton: 11:01pm On Sep 11, 2013
Tyche:

With all modesty, anything outside my sugestion will leave you confused. There could be another way though
Uh.hmmm.
Can the words of god be confusing?
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Tyche(m): 11:05pm On Sep 11, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

What other way is it ?

I was leaving it open for futher suggestion, I am in no way all knowing
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Tyche(m): 11:10pm On Sep 11, 2013
plaetton:
Uh.hmmm.

There was no reference to god in my statement
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by plaetton: 11:15pm On Sep 11, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

My switch to deism and the need to be entirely sure of what I'm into or leaving given my knowledge at this point in my life.

Ha.
Deism is just a temporary rehabilitation center.
A halfway house for those recently released from the prison of blind faith religion.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by plaetton: 11:17pm On Sep 11, 2013
Tyche:

There was no reference to god in my statement
Any reference to the bible is reference to the words of god. Not so?
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Tyche(m): 11:21pm On Sep 11, 2013
plaetton:
Any reference to the bible is reference to the words of god. Not so?

God or god? I think they are two different things
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Tyche(m): 11:22pm On Sep 11, 2013
plaetton:

Ha.
Deism is just a temporary rehabilitation center.
A halfway house for those recently released from the prison of blind faith religion.

Oh my
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by noblefada: 11:26pm On Sep 11, 2013
@uyi i truly commend ur effort and pray the Holy Spirit opens ur eyes to see the beauty of scriptures. Personally this year I've read the OT once and the NT at the least 3 times once using the amplified version. I've started all over again and hope to finish the OT once b4 d year ends and the NT as many times as possible. All I can say is the scriptures are sweet more than anything to me. Goodluck
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by MrTroll(m): 11:33pm On Sep 11, 2013
@Uyi, you need to read some about the jewish culture during that era to get a good feel if you've not done so before. This will be important when you get to verses about the sabbath, passover etc.

EDIT: do not fall into the trap of trying to justify absurdities and inconsistencies. See the bible for what it really is.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by wordcat(m): 11:37pm On Sep 11, 2013
aManFromMars: Leviticus and Deuteronomy will probably bore you...

Try Chronicles.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Tyche(m): 12:01am On Sep 12, 2013
texanomaly:
No he is not...he does know the way I treat others on NL though. My comment was out of character...he knows that...I am sorry really embarassed

There is a correlation between real life and NL life and this is not lost on any keen observer.

I advise you stick to your lane and enjoy your sarcastic friendship with him
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by texanomaly(f): 12:08am On Sep 12, 2013
Tyche:

There is a correlation between real life and NL life and this is not lost on any keen observer.

Well...I guess you told me. undecided
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Tyche(m): 12:45am On Sep 12, 2013
texanomaly:

You ve got some really itchy fingers woman. Are you bored or something, I can be of help though I suppose there is Mr. somewhere who should do that
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by texanomaly(f): 1:10am On Sep 12, 2013
Tyche:

You ve got some really itchy fingers woman. Are you bored or something, I can be of help though I suppose there is Mr. somewhere who should do that
Honestly, I am usually much nicer on here. I don't know why you push my buttons. For some reason I could happily strangle you. grin
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 4:26am On Sep 12, 2013
texanomaly:
Honestly, I am usually much nicer on here. I don't know why you push my buttons. For some reason I could happily strangle you. grin

grin grin
And I will gladly watch that. Lol.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 4:27am On Sep 12, 2013
Tyche:

Hey, she's apologised... Like timaya would say, let go..
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 5:59am On Sep 12, 2013
Mr Troll: @Uyi, you need to read some about the jewish culture during that era to get a good feel if you've not done so before. This will be important when you get to verses about the sabbath, passover etc.

EDIT: do not fall into the trap of trying to justify absurdities and inconsistencies. See the bible for what it really is.

Absurdities are inevitable in any position. It so happens you recently pushed one, the inanity of asserting DNA is just a molecule when the article you forwarded talked of it encoding for proteins. In any case, your advice is noted.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 6:04am On Sep 12, 2013
noblefada: @uyi i truly commend ur effort and pray the Holy Spirit opens ur eyes to see the beauty of scriptures. Personally this year I've read the OT once and the NT at the least 3 times once using the amplified version. I've started all over again and hope to finish the OT once b4 d year ends and the NT as many times as possible. All I can say is the scriptures are sweet more than anything to me. Goodluck

I'll grant its beauty, what about its ugliness ? Take hell for instance, or having to kill to forgive, or the theology of an all-good God which is confuted by the evil God did in the Bible and evil in Nature. As for your reading, good luck !
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Tyche(m): 7:07am On Sep 12, 2013
texanomaly:

grin
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 8:11am On Sep 12, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I recall Chibuebem commenting here. Who moved his post ? Anybody is welcome to this thread and I mean anybody, for the reason stated in the OP.
who removed my post? I'll go report it. I hope you got my message shaa
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by MrTroll(m): 8:30am On Sep 12, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Absurdities are inevitable in any position. It so happens you recently pushed one, the inanity of asserting DNA is just a molecule when the article you forwarded talked of it encoding for proteins. In any case, your advice is noted.
what!!? You want to go there? No just go fall your hand o. DNA is just a molecule. Its function is to encode for proteins among other things. Is it that you fail to understand it or you just want to be silly?
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by jayriginal: 9:45am On Sep 12, 2013
Tyche:

That was uncalled for. She has apologized to you. What more do you want?

texanomaly:

Ignore him jare.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by noblefada: 9:57am On Sep 12, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I'll grant its beauty, what about its ugliness ? Take hell for instance, or having to kill to forgive, or the theology of an all-good God which is confuted by the evil God did in the Bible and evil in Nature. As for your reading, good luck !
Good morning, yea concerning that I pray the Holy Spirit gives u understanding, many things need the unveiling of the HS to be understood. I'll give u some puzzle has u read the NT:
1. Matt 5, what the Jesus say about the law n the nature of God?
2. find out what Jesus said about Noah's flood, which was repeated by Paul & Peter
3. Try and compare the law & grace and most importantly who gave the Jews the law on whose hand was it ordained
4. Finally try to take note when Jesus and later the Apostles pointed to himself in the OT and if possible to back to the passage and read.
I hope to check on with u in this journey and pls don't hesitate to ask when u see something a bit puzzling.
Welcome my friend to this exciting journey! the Grace of God be with you. Amen
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 12, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Decide whether or not I'll return to Christianity
based on a balanced view of the Scriptures given
my exposure to many takes, from many sides on
this site.
!
From the perspective of someone who's "been here before, and did exactly what you are doing now, I have this to say, the only thing the bible will tell you is exactly what you want to hear. What you'll see in the bible is what you already are. Ermmm, how do i explain this? it's like the magician and his stack of cards, when he flips through, he lets his shuffle linger on the card he wants you to pick or subtly pushes that card out
Such that you think you chose when he infact chose for you. So it is with the bible when you read it from cover to cover. the parts that agree with what you already think will stick out more and the rest will fade and in the end, all the book does is mirror you. There is little or no objectivity with the book, but goodluck anyway!!!

2 Likes

Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by MrTroll(m): 1:05pm On Sep 12, 2013
^^^
True that. The SPAG theory comes to mind.

One thing though. Why is it that most christians nowadays like leaning on this holy spirit ish. Its like they're already giving excuses for the many absurdities therein. Someone who has basic education and literacy should be able to understand what is written in the bible. Are you guys saying that a hindu who is seeing the bible for the first time can't convert on his own reading without the 'holy spirit'? Lolz. Its Like a get away card these days cheesy
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mr Troll: ^^^
True that. The SPAG theory comes to mind.

One thing though. Why is it that most christians nowadays like leaning on this holy spirit ish. Its like they're already giving excuses for the many absurdities therein. Someone who has basic education and literacy should be able to understand what is written in the bible. Are you guys saying that a hindu who is seeing the bible for the first time can't convert on his own reading without the 'holy spirit'? Lolz. Its Like a get away card these days cheesy
being born again is the work of the holy Spirit. It is the Spirit that gives life. Don't worry, when you're born again, you'll understand.
The holy Spirit is the author of the bible. He promises to explain it to anyone who seeks diligently and humbly with his whole heart.
If you want to truly understand Gods word, let God himself guide you into it. Good day Sir.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 12, 2013
@ Uyi.
I humbly advise you to compliment the KJV version you're using with 'THE MESSAGE//REMIX'
Be blessed by Gods word.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 1:30pm On Sep 12, 2013
plaetton:
Uh.hmmm.
not just confusing, the bible says that the message is foolishness to those who do not believe. Its in 1st corinthians 4.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by EvilBrain1(m): 1:35pm On Sep 12, 2013
Uyi Iredia: 5th comment.

@ amanfromMars: I started with Matthew not John. I'm starting off, using a 90-day NT reading plan on a preferred e-Bible of mine, Olivetree.

90 days just to read the bible? Seriously?!? Are you in primary school or something?

Look, just put down the iPad, forget about any reading plan, grab a paper bible and read it. Do it for an hour every night before you sleep. If you're consistent, you'll be done in 2 weeks highest.

I don't know why people act like reading bible is such a Big deal. Anybody who's gone to university must have read far bigger and more difficult books.

Just read the thing.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by MrTroll(m): 2:27pm On Sep 12, 2013
Chibuebem: being born again is the work of the holy Spirit. It is the Spirit that gives life. Don't worry, when you're born again, you'll understand.
The holy Spirit is the author of the bible. He promises to explain it to anyone who seeks diligently and humbly with his whole heart.
If you want to truly understand Gods word, let God himself guide you into it. Good day Sir.
I've told you before. You are not capable of contributing meaningfuly in any itellectual discussion. Just stick to your preaching mate. You didn't even address the point I raised. About the born again ish, spare me pls. Been there done all that.

In case you genuinely didn't understand though...can a person who has no idea what christianity is all about get conted by reading the bible alone? If not, why not?
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 3:57pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mr Troll: I've told you before. You are not capable of contributing meaningfuly in any itellectual discussion. Just stick to your preaching mate. You didn't even address the point I raised. About the born again ish, spare me pls. Been there done all that.

In case you genuinely didn't understand though...can a person who has no idea what christianity is all about get conted by reading the bible alone? If not, why not?
my dear Troll, how am I sure my words will still count as anything to you when you dismiss them as foolish? Don't make conclusions like that, remember you don't even know me for real.
Anyways, of course!,
People can be and have been born again truly by just reading the bible. But as I said before, the holy Spirit is involved. The holy Spirit does the convicting and the operation of salvation itself. Its a spiritual thing. Its not just a matter of education and intelligence you see, its the state of your heart. God can get anyones attention, can reveal himself in different ways. But the primary way and GUIDELINE with which he does things is his word. I wish you knew this loving and powerful father Troll. I wish and pray men will humble themselves and see him for who he truly is, his real image through Christ.
My prayer is already answered everyday. Let it be answered in your life in Jesus' name.

Sin has already been dealt with. Salvation is secure in Christ Jesus. His word dwells in our hearts. We know God. We grow deeper in him everyday. This is our message - Jesus saves from sin. The light of our lives and the power of our words bear witness. Selfishness and pride disappears when he works in your life. Hate disappears. GODS love and joy and peace and power is in the lives of those who believe and continue in Chrit Jesus.

Be blessed Mr. Troll, and stay blessed
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by MrTroll(m): 4:14pm On Sep 12, 2013
^^^

As usual, a lot of gibberish in between.
Chibuebem: not just confusing, the bible says that the message is foolishness to those who do not believe. Its in 1st corinthians 4.
So in you and the bibles own words, the message is foolishness to those who don't believe. So how do you expect me to believe first before anything will make sense. For example, how do you expect me to believe that aspirin will cure HIV when my common sense and knowledge of how drugs work tell me that its not possible. But apparently, christian logic says that if you just believe it first then it will all just make sense. In other words, drop your power of reasoning and knowledge and just believe, whether it makes sense or not. Nice! Apparently christians will have us believe that god gave us brains and power of reasoning but expects us to NOT use it when it comes to religious matters.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Descendants Of Noah: Our World Today / The Miracle Fish In Nigeria River In Ekiti State / What Will Become Of Religion If The Devil Repents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.