Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,038 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

My Reappraisal Of The Bible - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Reappraisal Of The Bible (3431 Views)

Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / My Reappraisal Of The Bible / What's Your Favourite Verse(s)/chapter(s) In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 5:45pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mr Troll: I've told you before. You are not capable of contributing meaningfuly in any itellectual discussion. Just stick to your preaching mate. You didn't even address the point I raised. About the born again ish, spare me pls. Been there done all that.

In case you genuinely didn't understand though...can a person who has no idea what christianity is all about get conted by reading the bible alone? If not, why not?
Of course a person can. Haven't you ever read a book with a character that was so inspiring, you yearned to model your life based on that character? That's the secular way of seeing it. But Christians prefer to call it " the holy spirit"
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mr Troll: ^^^

As usual, a lot of gibberish in between.

So in you and the bibles own words, the message is foolishness to those who don't believe. So how do you expect me to believe first before anything will make sense. For example, how do you expect me to believe that aspirin will cure HIV when my common sense and knowledge of how drugs work tell me that its not possible. But apparently, christian logic says that if you just believe it first then it will all just make sense. In other words, drop your power of reasoning and knowledge and just believe, whether it makes sense or not. Nice! Apparently christians will have us believe that god gave us brains and power of reasoning but expects us to NOT use it when it comes to religious matters.
you have to believe that it will make sense for it to make sense inspite of your knowlege/reasoning. why do you think double blind studies are the standard for clinical trials? haven't you ever heard of the placebo effect? "The physician's belief in the treatment
and the patient's faith in the physician
exert a mutually reinforcing effect; the
result is a powerful remedy that is almost
guaranteed to produce an improvement
and sometimes a cure." -- Petr Skrabanek
and James McCormick,
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 7:19pm On Sep 12, 2013

So in you and the bibles own words, the message is foolishness to those who don't believe. So how do you expect me to believe first before anything will make sense. For example, how do you expect me to believe that aspirin will cure HIV when my common sense and knowledge of how drugs work tell me that its not possible. But apparently, christian logic says that if you just believe it first then it will all just make sense. In other words, drop your power of reasoning and knowledge and just believe, whether it makes sense or not. Nice! Apparently christians will have us believe that god gave us brains and power of reasoning but expects us to NOT use it when it comes to religious matters.
i'm sorry Troll. But JUST your brain and reasoning powers won't help you when it comes to matters of reality. The bible says the carnal mind is an enemy of God because it can't be subject to the law of God.
And the gospel is foolishness to those that PERISH, not those who witness the power of the message and believe. If you refuse to believe in him, I cannot help you. God cannot help you.

Why is it hard for you to have faith in God? And don't for one moment be decieved to believe that you don't need help, Gods help.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 7:20pm On Sep 12, 2013

Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by MrTroll(m): 7:40pm On Sep 12, 2013
Chibuebem: i'm sorry Troll. But JUST your brain and reasoning powers won't help you when it comes to matters of reality. The bible says the carnal mind is an enemy of God because it can't be subject to the law of God.
And the gospel is foolishness to those that PERISH, not those who witness the power of the message and believe. If you refuse to believe in him, I cannot help you. God cannot help you.

Why is it hard for you to have faith in God? And don't for one moment be decieved to believe that you don't need help, Gods help.
your case strong.

One question though...why should I believe in your idea of god as opposed to the myriads of gods that exist and have existed all through the ages? Pls try not not make a fool of yourself this time. Give a good answer bro...
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by MrTroll(m): 7:45pm On Sep 12, 2013
Bludeville:
you have to believe that it will make sense for it to make sense inspite of your knowlege/reasoning. why do you think double blind studies are the standard for clinical trials? haven't you ever heard of the placebo effect? "The physician's belief in the treatment
and the patient's faith in the physician
exert a mutually reinforcing effect; the
result is a powerful remedy that is almost
guaranteed to produce an improvement
and sometimes a cure." -- Petr Skrabanek
and James McCormick,
I know all about the double blind technique in clinical trials. But the christians will prefer us to already have a strong bias(read holy spirit) towards what they want us to believe before even attempting to read the bible. Sounds like a placebo treatment to me wink
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 7:53pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mr Troll: your case strong.

One question though...why should I believe in your idea of god as opposed to the myriads of gods that exist and have existed all through the ages? Pls try not not make a fool of yourself this time. Give a good answer bro...
my faith strong, yes. God be praised. I've answered this question many times.
None other has dealt with the problem of sin. Only Jesus.
Everywhere, you see people who profess to know God, do their lives bear witness? Are they free from the fundamental problem that bedraggles this world? Do they truly know God?

This is what the bible says in 1 John chapter 1, its what makes our message special and genuine and above religion. Yes, its deeper than religion.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 8:00pm On Sep 12, 2013
Chibuebem:
my faith strong, yes. God be praised. I've answered this question many times.
Do us a favour. Define sin. Tell us the problem of sin. And explain how God hanging his son on the cross solved this problem.

- show the problem
- explain how Jesus is the cure and how this cure has worked.

Chibuebem:
Everywhere, you see people who profess to know God, do their lives bear witness? Are they free from the fundamental problem that bedraggles this world? Do they truly know God?
How do you know those who truly know God? Apart from yourself, can you mention anyone else who knows God like you do?

Chibuebem:
This is what the bible says in 1 John chapter 1, its what makes our message special and genuine and above religion. Yes, its deeper than religion.
The only thing deeper than religion is religious fanaticism, and I fear that's where you're headed if you continue on this path...

A day will come when you will literally start hearing voices in your head, claim to be able to speak strange languages, claim to know the future etc...
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 12, 2013
The claim is in 1st John 1:1-4. We claim that we have the Life of God in Jesus Christ.
Then in verses 5-7, the peculair about us is seen. God is light. If we walk in sin and darkness and pride, we do not live our claim. But we walk in the joy of freedom from Sin Troll. We fellowship with God and we know him. Our lives bear witness.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by MrTroll(m): 8:03pm On Sep 12, 2013
Chibuebem: my faith strong, yes. God be praised. I've answered this question many times.

guy I give up!!! angry

I give up again!!! cry

Next time I engage you in any debate or argument again call me BASKARD!!!!
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 8:05pm On Sep 12, 2013
Chibuebem: The claim is in 1st John 1:1-4. We claim that we have the Life of God in Jesus Christ.
Then in verses 5-7, the peculair about us is seen. God is light. If we walk in sin and darkness and pride, we do not live our claim. But we walk in the joy of freedom from Sin Troll. We fellowship with God and we know him. Our lives bear witness.

If God is light, and omnipresent, from whence cometh darkness?
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 12, 2013
aManFromMars:
Do us a favour. Define sin. Tell us the problem of sin. And explain how God hanging his son on the cross solved this problem.

- show the problem
- explain how Jesus is the cure and how this cure has worked.

How do you know those who truly know God? Apart from yourself, can you mention anyone else who knows God like you do?

The only thing deeper than religion is religious fanaticism, and I fear that's where you're headed if you continue on this path...

A day will come when you will literally start hearing voices in your head, claim to be able to speak strange languages, claim to know the future etc...

-Sin is disobedience..to God, lack of love. You know sin. We all do. Its ingrained in our conscience. You claim one can satisfy puritys demands without God. I haven't seen anyone.
-Man's nature and flesh is against Gods law and tends towards sin. We've tried to deal with this sin problem, but we can't, we've tried to live with it, but we end up getting worse, sinking deeper. Jesus came and God put our sin on him, our disobedience and hate and pride. And Jesus abolished sin in his flesh through death. And 3 days later, our God-man arose, and to those who believe and accept this great saving, he brings them alive unto God, in righteousness, filled with Gods love, DEAD TO SIN. so we have no obligation as believers to walk in sin. We CAN AND ARE ABLE TO LIVE ABOVE SIN AND ITS IMPERATIVES. This is what Jesus did. The cure has worked in countless lives, including mine. Whenever I am tempted, i sing in victory, because I owe no obligation to fulfil the yearnings of my flesh. Are you free from sin muskeeto? Reducing Gods standards doesn't help, it just gets us in deeper trouble.

-I know my brothers. Because we share the same source of life- GOD. But some people act, they pretend, but the answer is the same, by their fruits we know. If we do not know, God knows
2 timothy 2:19- the foundation of God stands sure having this seal: GOD knows those who are his, and let everyone that calleth his name depart from iniquity.

-as for your talk on religious fanatism, you are wrong. Our relationship with God is not 'obeying a set of rules' it is reality and life.
I also know where you're headed muskeeto. There are two paths before you: the dead end of sin, and the loving arms of your saviour and God.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Nobody: 8:48pm On Sep 12, 2013
aManFromMars:

If God is light, and omnipresent, from whence cometh darkness?
nawa for u o. U don start all this silly argument over meaning of words again.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Tyche(m): 9:41pm On Sep 12, 2013
jayriginal:

That was uncalled for. She has apologized to you. What more do you want?

Ignore him jare.

Sissy boy, your wanna cry more than the bereaved? Be my guest sob
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 10:18pm On Sep 12, 2013
Today's reading was Matt 5-7. I started early this morning at about 6 then stopped and just finished my commentaries now. Will soon be uploading pics. Already thinking of a better way to simultaenously have the commentaries on the Bible and post them here on Nairaland. The one I'm using is cubersome. Suggestions are welcome. Just discount Internet use though since I ain't using Internet on my tab till my BB subscription runs out.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by texanomaly(f): 10:25pm On Sep 12, 2013
jayriginal:

That was uncalled for. She has apologized to you. What more do you want?

Ignore him jare.
Thanks

Hahaha
Love your sig.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by texanomaly(f): 10:28pm On Sep 12, 2013
aManFromMars:

Hey, she's apologised... Like timaya would say, let go..
Thank you Skeeter

1 Like

Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 11:46pm On Sep 12, 2013
Matt 5. The first commentary on the Beatitudes

Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 11:53pm On Sep 12, 2013
2nd comment.

Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 11:56pm On Sep 12, 2013
3rd, 4th and 5th comment.

Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 11:59pm On Sep 12, 2013
6th to 8th comment.

Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 12:00am On Sep 13, 2013
My last two comments.

Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 12:02am On Sep 13, 2013
Couldn't put the last 2 together. This is the last one.

Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 12:06am On Sep 13, 2013
plaetton:

Ha.
Deism is just a temporary rehabilitation center.
A halfway house for those recently released from the prison of blind faith religion.

Not for all folks. Certainly not for Antony Flew, Thomas Paine and Deep Sight. You presume too much, in any case, I hold no obligation to to you in my quest.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 12:13am On Sep 13, 2013
Evil Brain:

90 days just to read the bible? Seriously?!? Are you in primary school or something?

Look, just put down the iPad, forget about any reading plan, grab a paper bible and read it. Do it for an hour every night before you sleep. If you're consistent, you'll be done in 2 weeks highest.

I don't know why people act like reading bible is such a Big deal. Anybody who's gone to university must have read far bigger and more difficult books.

Just read the thing.

I happen to have read in the manner you describe, even speed-read the Bible from cover to cover in a couple of weeks. This time I'll follow a plan, I've never followed one whilst reading the Bible. As for plan for books, why not ? I do attimes read books in a given manner, usually starting from the interesting sections.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by MrTroll(m): 8:17am On Sep 13, 2013
Uyi Iredia: 2nd comment.
Now you're doing exactly what I feared. Anyway...
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by Judas2013: 8:26am On Sep 13, 2013
Too much time reading the bible. That shows why most Nigerians are dummies. Worst part is checking to see if it is scriptural to put on a white underwear. Yeye people....
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by noblefada: 8:40am On Sep 13, 2013
@Uyi good you've gotten to Matt 5, did u notice my earlier poser? I wish I could read ur commentary but just too tiny, but pls drop any issue u find interesting.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 3:35pm On Sep 13, 2013
noblefada: @Uyi good you've gotten to Matt 5, did u notice my earlier poser? I wish I could read ur commentary but just too tiny, but pls drop any issue u find interesting.

I see. I might have to start commenting from my tablet. Make BBS fie finish. But the images are large on a system which I happen to use now. You must be using a phone and the image quality in your browser (presumably) Opera must be low if not you should see the text very clearly.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 1:36am On Sep 14, 2013
Something came up this nigjt so I couldn't post yesterday's Bible reading here. I read Matt 8-10.
Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 1:54am On Sep 14, 2013
I didn't comment a lot. Here is the image of my commentary for yesterday's reading.

Re: My Reappraisal Of The Bible by UyiIredia(m): 8:46pm On Sep 14, 2013
I think I will start commenting from my phone despite how clumsy it is to type on it. No more pics, so people saving MB won't have to bother. I will present verses from chapters and comments on them. Reading today was on Matt 10-13. I've read it and it covered the unforgivable sin and the parable of the sower. Comments will be coming in some hours at most.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Drop Your Birthday Wishes For Pastor E.A. Adeboye / How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) / Nigerians And The Mecca (hajj) Ignorance!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.