Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? (20061 Views)

What Would You Do If Your House-Girl Did This To Your Child? (Photo) / Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives / Handling The Issue of Giving Financial Support To Relatives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by babanne(m): 4:43pm On Sep 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Summary: A friend wanted to crash in my house. My sister disallowed it (because the dude is a friend to our cousin whom she dislikes) to my annoyonce and the guy left. My sister brings her friends to stay in our house. This has been an issue between my parents and now us. Your comments now undecided

Question for u: is that 21 year old lady your sister or your step sister? if she is your sister then you have to exert your authority as a man and ask her to request her friends not to come & stay overnight in your house. but give respect to your uncle while doing that.

if she is your step suster,call a small family meeting to resolve the matter.
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by Tonyblinky(m): 4:50pm On Sep 14, 2013
sky4: I just have one thing to say or ask even though its not related to the story:
Is there any law in naija which says "you must use big vocabulary at all cost when writing" ? What about letting your words or story flow freely in simple/regular words instead of struggling to use multiple "jaw breaking" words" ?
It was obvious this writer was bent on using as many of them as possible...even oyibo people dey keep it simple...we educated people can easily spot ourselves once we come across a well written piece, so quit try to impress and make your write up look like that of an old time village head master or mistress.
No hard feelings.
Peace.

Summary: A friend wanted to crash in my house. My sister
disallowed it (because the dude is a friend to our cousin whom she
dislikes) to my annoyance and the guy left. My sister brings her
friends to stay in our house. This has been an issue between my
parents and now us.

Your comments please.

Dats d same problem I have with d writer,just make it simple and communication flows,abi na another Obahiagbon in the making?or weed trips?
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by adonisgold: 4:58pm On Sep 14, 2013
Papabrowne, the guy who said he was from Edo state took the words out of my mouth. You should be very careful youngman, there are lots of hawks hovering over dat una property, listen to your sister, remember you are on the same team, dont play against each other. Its not wise to bring your male friends to the house when you are staying with your younger sister. Guys could be funny, especially as u guys are kinda alone. It saddens me that you have to grapple with issues like this so early but you have to be very smart and strong. This one they have succeeded in selling the other property they are probably eyeing this one too. Where are the title deeds to the property? Are they safe? Does your dad have a will? What is his mental capacity? Can he draft one? Does he have a reliable lawyer? The other uncle staying with you, is he trustworthy? You sound like a sensible chap, keep kool, you will do well. Goodluck.

2 Likes

Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 14, 2013
so is nairaland a site for family disputes now? dis has washed his dirty linen outside...shameless yu
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by ini4brandon(m): 5:21pm On Sep 14, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Pls in everything u guys r doing, ur dad's health first. Its equally his house.

yeah. you n sis. should seek his views and uphold it. that's called respect.
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by creativemusic: 5:37pm On Sep 14, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by UyiIredia(m): 5:49pm On Sep 14, 2013
babanne:

Question for u: is that 21 year old lady your sister or your step sister? if she is your sister then you have to exert your authority as a man and ask her to request her friends not to come & stay overnight in your house. but give respect to your uncle while doing that.

if she is your step suster,call a small family meeting to resolve the matter.

She is my sister.
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by UyiIredia(m): 5:52pm On Sep 14, 2013
brooklyn49: so is nairaland a site for family disputes now? dis has washed his dirty linen outside...shameless yu

I see. I hardly think this is a dirty linen. Somone could learn from this and the issue is not much of a deal, unless she brings a friend into the house.
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by UyiIredia(m): 5:59pm On Sep 14, 2013
Tonyblinky:
Dats d same problem I have with d writer,just make it simple and communication flows,abi na another Obahiagbon in the making?or weed trips?

The only 'big words' I used are paternal, maternal, aversion and inane. Aside from that I used simple words that at the least, a good primary schooler can comprehend. As such, I must be dealing with kindergartens if it is presumed those words aren't simple, tbh even kindergartens aren't that slow.
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by UyiIredia(m): 6:05pm On Sep 14, 2013
pDude: See as all of you kack for una papa house like say una nor get personal ambitions to pursue.

Na wa o. Your sister nor go go marry? You sef nor go go marry? Na to dey sidon for house dey fight Nollywood fight na so una sabi. cry

Abeg who get Nokia small pin charger. grin

Guy you funny. Of course we will, we should be rounding up school in a couple of years. But seriously, if a miracle doesn't take place despite our efforts and those of physiotherapists (which are costly BTW) we'll have to accommodate my Dad's upkeep by making sure we around him even after marriage.

1 Like

Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by agehero13(f): 7:38pm On Sep 14, 2013
All this long story am finding it hard to read, can someone pls summarise
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by lupey: 8:30pm On Sep 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Summary: A friend wanted to crash in my house. My sister disallowed it (because the dude is a friend to our cousin whom she dislikes) to my annoyonce and the guy left. My sister brings her friends to stay in our house. This has been an issue between my parents and now us. Your comments now undecided

I think you are good natured!
smiley I mean,taking out time 2 explain urself and all. cheesy that's really cool! cool tongue

2 Likes

Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by UyiIredia(m): 8:35pm On Sep 14, 2013
agehero13: All this long story am finding it hard to read, can someone pls summarise

Chai ! After starting with a summary ! SMH.
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by UyiIredia(m): 8:35pm On Sep 14, 2013
lupey:

I think you are good natured!
smiley I mean,taking out time 2 explain urself and all. cheesy that's really cool! cool tongue

Thanks Mrs Nairaland smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by Finestlex(m): 10:32pm On Sep 14, 2013
mobuch:

@OP

Did you read this shiit before posting it?
I had great difficulties dissecting your posts.
Did you pass through secondary schl?

Pls dont be offended, am just been honest.
itk... Before you curse soomeone out due to little error, make sure you're perfect.. If you did go to sec sch, you'll definitely be able to ignore errors and understand.. "am just being honest" and not been... Silly ass.. educated my balls
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by touchmeder: 11:30pm On Sep 14, 2013
With the history of the little family issues with your cousin, i will certainly not entertain his friend in my home
i am a woman and i know a man will think differently so each to their own and so bearing this in mind, i cant see what your sister did wrong
Is this property in Benin City? LOL
i grew up there so i can imagine if this is the case
someone has given good advise on trying to secure this property and also focusing on your father and his well being
i will only advise the same
put God in what you do too because people get funny over family property especially where funny family members and polygamy are involved
do you intend to stay in the city where this property is located in the long term (you dont have to reply this)
depending on your answer you may wish to put things in place by thinking ahead. people you trust you who can stand in for you if you happen to leave to build your home elsewhere
with the way you have described this house, it seems like a family home with uncle and your sister living there and could probably remain that way for a long long time to come
your sister is fairly young and may not be leaving the house ASAP

This is the sort of property you may want to leave as ''family property'' and focus on your life and career and eventually build your OWN HOUSE while overseeing the former. having the land documents and keeping a firm grasp of things . I can imagine starting a family in such a house or bringing up a young family may just be embarassed
Goodluck
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 1:58am On Sep 15, 2013
Uyi, if I were in your situation, I would have done the same thing you did. But, I still can't fault your sister for being the cause of why the guy left because she saw things differently.

I know that you mentioned how she'd been bringing in friends prior to when your story happened. But, I reckon you didn't stop her 'cause you had no problem with her bringing in her friends.

My previous point is because you didn't stop her doesn't mean that she can't do the same to you. She brought in her friends which she could vouch for. And they probably were not directly or indirectly connected to any problem tied to your family. However, the guy you wanted to harbour is a friend to someone who was directly connected to some chaos you guys experienced in the past.

Of course, it was very wrong of your sister to judge the guy with your cousin's character since they are two different persons. But believe me, a lot of people that I know personally would have done the same thing your sister did. In her own mind she was protecting the family.

My advice; let it slide and avoid forcefully allowing people others don't approve of to stay around 'cause if anything bad happens due to their staying around, you are going to bear the consequences.

1 Like

Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 2:03am On Sep 15, 2013
BTW, don't mind all the people complaining about your writing. They are mostly people who are generally lazy to read and write.
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 2:19am On Sep 15, 2013
brooklyn49: so is nairaland a site for family disputes now? dis has washed his dirty linen outside...shameless yu
Wow! Actually, Nairaland is a discussion forum for almost anything discussable. Moreover, what would a family board be doing here if not for the purpose of discussing family issues.

People discuss about issues like this to get advice on how to deal with the issues from others. And by so doing providing information for others that need help one way or the other as well.
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by NEROSKY(m): 2:27am On Sep 15, 2013
NnamdiN: A younger sister ? OMG something is wrong somewhere. Younger brothers shouldn't even be able to challenge your decision, let alone a younger sister.

I swear!!! Even elder sister won't tell me what to do, esp what I deemed right .... Holy crap, what an insolent! @op , don't be a zombie or a foolish fool *in sam loco's voice*
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by NEROSKY(m): 2:30am On Sep 15, 2013
BOLAJIAJANI: Uyi, if I were in your situation, I would have done the same thing you did. But, I still can't fault your sister for being the cause of why the guy left because she saw things differently.

I know that you mentioned how she'd been bringing in friends prior to when your story happened. But, I reckon you didn't stop her 'cause you had no problem with her bringing in her friends.

My previous point is because you didn't stop her doesn't mean that she can't do the same to you. She brought in her friends which she could vouch for. And they probably were not directly or indirectly connected to any problem tied to your family. However, the guy you wanted to harbour is a friend to someone who was directly connected to some chaos you guys experienced in the past.

Of course, it was very wrong of your sister to judge the guy with your cousin's character since they are two different persons. But believe me, a lot of people that I know personally would have done the same thing your sister did. In her own mind she was protecting the family.

My advice; let it slide and avoid forcefully allowing people others don't approve of to stay around 'cause if anything bad happens due to their staying around, you are going to bear the consequences.

Is she a prophet, what does she see coming
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by UyiIredia(m): 9:02am On Sep 15, 2013
@ BOLAJIAJANI: Thanks

@ touchmeder: Thanks. The property is in Lagos and is my Dad's only house here. I spent grew up in Lagos so I do intend to work and live here.
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by Damianking(m): 9:47am On Sep 15, 2013
place take it easy with her and find time to sit with her and encourage and advice her and let her respect your authority.
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 10:09am On Sep 15, 2013
Uyi Iredia: @ BOLAJIAJANI: Thanks

@ touchmeder: Thanks. The property is in Lagos and is my Dad's only house here. I spent grew up in Lagos so I do intend to work and live here.
You are welcome.
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by Mekyno(m): 11:14am On Sep 15, 2013
A gal exercising such unwanton supreme power n authority, wich she dnt even hv, at d tender age of 21? Hmmm. Dat gal must b up to smtn. Is either she becoms a militiant or terrorist in d house (or is she already 1 sef), wen she grow. D earlier dey marry dat babe, d beta 4 d family. @op, use wisdom, its a delicate mata
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by RoyalRoy(m): 1:17pm On Sep 15, 2013
Mekyno: A gal exercising such unwanton supreme power n authority, wich she dnt even hv, at d tender age of 21? Hmmm. Dat gal must b up to smtn. Is either she becoms a militiant or terrorist in d house (or is she already 1 sef), wen she grow. D earlier dey marry dat babe, d beta 4 d family. @op, use wisdom, its a delicate mata

Even my dog is laughing at your comment!!!
www.nairaland.com/attachments/229503_ROFLMAODog_gif3fa44b12f55ba64fc785c3a5794ba92e
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by UyiIredia(m): 8:55pm On Sep 27, 2013
Follow-up: The guy still comes around but he doesb't stay in the house. In any case, whilst annoying it never and still hasn't caused any strife between my sis and I. Just annoying because I think she was being too harsh.

In retrospect, I really SMH a posters who saw this as an authority jostle between my sis and I.
Re: How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? by UyiIredia(m): 2:35pm On Nov 21, 2015
mgbeketoto:
Please, I have more than ONE residence AT ANY GIVEN TIME!!!! kiss

Trust me ke! cool
I just move to another with my darling children and leave my dear husband to deal with his local relatives. I ain't gat time for such SHYTE!!!!

I don't deal with my relatives, not to mention his.

Naaaaaah, I don't play that kind of NOLLYWOOD-VILLAGE-CRRRRRAP!!!! kiss

Levels, PLEASE!!!!! cool

Shiiiiiooooooor!

Okay.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

thank you / Undeniable Facts About Marriage / How Do You Handle A Promiscuous Sister?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.