Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,667 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) (33450 Views)

How To Process Your Car Tinted Permit Plus My Experience / My Experience Checking Out Innoson Car / Help.......!,availability Of Spares For Passat 2.0T ( 2007 Model) In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by legalwealth(m): 7:17pm On Nov 12, 2019
thebigkendo:
I had a good laugh reading this thread grin grin cheesy

Viper undecided
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by manwes: 7:17pm On Nov 12, 2019
Is this Ikenna in the pegeout section and based in Abuja? If I'm positive, I'd like to have your contact again. Lost it.
Ikenna351:
Op,

You deserve award for making me laugh till tears started coming out from my eyes! Honestly, this thread deserve to be saved in Car Talk Library, so that anyday person provoke me for here, i go quickly rush to Library go laugh myself out.

How on Earth would someone who called himself a mechanic considered swapping in another engine without remembering that it's been controlled by a computer ? If he knew the engine was been controlled by "brain box", was he thinking the engine communicates with the "brain box" via bluetooth ? How come he didn't know the engine harness will run from the engine ECU to the sensors/components scattered on the engine and relays? Did he not see the old engine wiring harness on the engine bay before the old engine was removed?

As if the wrong engine and no engine wiring harness issue was not enough, he went ahead to construct in a carburettor on the intake manifold without considering first if the height of the carburettor will size the limited space available for the bonnet to close. Who would do such a thing biko nu? Is it not only someone who makes people laugh in circus would do that? Is like they have graduated from Clown to something else.

Op, who told you that engine didn't exist in Nigeria in used spare part market at the time you were searching for it? Do you think it's only in Ladipo that such car part market exist? Did you try Mgbuka-Obosi in Anambra state during the hunt for the engine replacement ? Have you ever been to that place?

Funny enough, a Nigerian will tell you that a car emitting black smoke means dead engine. A simply issue as CTS failure could mean a dead engine in Nigeria, simply because when clowns can't detect a fault causing engine malfunctioning, the engine will be declared dead, just like medical doctors do to dead patients. How are we even sure the original engine in that car has failed? What if the issue was ECU or sensor related? Probably some clowns must have connected some nonsence somewhere and blew up the the poor ECU or some electronics and the car refused to start or run properly. And for that, they declared the engine dead.

I don't even know what else to say.

Ikenna.
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Naijaarchive(m): 7:20pm On Nov 12, 2019
Hmmmm 6yrs....
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by searchng4love: 7:21pm On Nov 12, 2019
flootintin:
Though most people don't know the value of a Passat B6, it's a beauty to cruise. I drive one and I do my checks before any repair. Am still searching for a competent Vag technician whom I can work with as most don't know what the car entails.
Tell them sir
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by mokt(m): 7:21pm On Nov 12, 2019
I feel sad whenever I hear people spend a lot to fix their cars n still no success. Na why I like Toyota Jejely. I cant come and die

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by logan2(m): 7:25pm On Nov 12, 2019
Na wa oo.. A five year old thread hitting front page... Hian

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by lukman22: 7:26pm On Nov 12, 2019
Best car ever. Currently rocking 2007 Passat 2.0T bought 2014 October. I must say here that if you abuse a German car, it will make you suffer. Every car has their wahala,but the key is to understand your car. Have a personal diagnostic kit,use the recommended engine and transmission oil,never listen to mech saying Nigeria weather is different from Jand . Above all fear Abro transmission oil.
To use any car outside Toyota,you have to go extra miles to learn necessary failure modes, maintenances etc

5 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by InvertedHammer: 7:43pm On Nov 12, 2019
/
Joel3:

That model of Passat is rigged with problems especially transmission.

Heck! I gave one away(direct Tokunbo) to someone I hated and his life has never been the same.

There are many of them in the market at give away prices and you wonder why.

,/

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Ishilove: 7:44pm On Nov 12, 2019
2013?
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by qdlvy: 7:46pm On Nov 12, 2019
That's heartbreaking.
So sorry you had to go through this.
I almost bought the same model sometimes ago. Good price, well maintained although with sparse service records, excellent brown leather interior. It was too good to be true. I almost bought it on the spot when I went for inspection but the skeptic in me resisted and decided to sleep on it. Got home that day, went on Google, searched for the most popular Volkswagen forum (I always do this every time I'm about to buy something). Alas, the number of complaints on the same 2.0T model was alarming. From suspension to transmission to engine, it was endless. The model is a money pit. And to think Volkswagen is one of the most reputable car brands in the world. Goes to show even the renowned brands are either having a dip in quality measures or can occasionally get it all wrong. I remember the company had an emission scandal some years back so shouldn't be that all surprising.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by musicwriter(m): 7:48pm On Nov 12, 2019
My first car, ford scopio did similar thing to me. However, nothing was initially wrong with the car, until one day I unfortunately ran out of fuel completely and the car had to be pushed. Once pushed, the car became mad.

I had to also change ''brain box'' and all that. I spent a lot of money but the car won't just be fixed, so I decided it doesn't worth it. I then decided to sell it at any price to anybody who needed it. It was in the mechanic shop for almost a year and nobody bought it. A friend of mine said he needed it and I told him I can give it to him for free but I warned him that the car would make him poor. He withdrew.

Eventually, someone bought it for N120,000. I used it for just about a year or so before the problem began. That was 2005 or thereabout. This incident has caused me not to like ford cars. But I heard their jeep is ok.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by 1x2x3: 7:48pm On Nov 12, 2019
2013 thread suddenly made front page...... This life sha. When it's your turn it's your turn. That's 6 years after grin grin

9 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by dannybrasky(m): 7:49pm On Nov 12, 2019
Dejijossy:
I once used the wagon type. My experience was horrifying. Mine issue was 1st gear box, my mechanic advised i covert it to manual. That was the beginning of my dilemma!
I later sold the car i bought for 1.1M for <250k
Jesu!! shocked
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 12, 2019

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Authortee: 7:57pm On Nov 12, 2019
No more German vehicle for me ever.
I bought an LT bus for business. Bought it for 600k and within two years spent over 1m fixing this and that and the engine.

At OP:
Sell the vehicle for scrap at Jankara.
Just go there and ask for those buying scrap. It should fetch you like 200k at all at all na him bad.
Some vehicles are going to kill you if you don’t sell them off as scrap
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by iamjavadem(m): 8:05pm On Nov 12, 2019
A lot of people buy cars with dead engines and fix them up and enjoy the car for years. German cars do not fall into this category. They are complicated as hell to fix and almost everything is controlled by a computer. All these European cars are endless money pits.
tdie:

Why would you buy a car with a "dead" engine, and then cry about "your experience with a Passat"?? and BTW who told you that the engine of your Passat is not available in Nigeria?
Your mechanics were probably too lazy or too incompetent to do the proper market research-thats if actually the engine was not salvageable.
Before you went on your Engine changing spree, did you ever bother to spend 5k or so to run an OBDII scan on your car?

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by searchng4love: 8:12pm On Nov 12, 2019
iamjavadem:
A lot of people buy cars with dead engines and fix them up and enjoy the car for years. German cars do not fall into this category. They are complicated as hell to fix and almost everything is controlled by a computer. All these European cars are endless money pits.
Not true!!

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by thebigkendo(m): 8:12pm On Nov 12, 2019
searchng4love:

Wicked soul

Mr lecturer Howdy? Heard school is back in session..

legalwealth:

Viper undecided

Legalo how far now? Gotten buyer for your EOD?

grin grin grin grin

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by searchng4love: 8:12pm On Nov 12, 2019
Dejijossy:
I once used the wagon type. My experience was horrifying. Mine issue was 1st gear box, my mechanic advised i covert it to manual. That was the beginning of my dilemma!
I later sold the car i bought for 1.1M for <250k
Interesting
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by thebigkendo(m): 8:16pm On Nov 12, 2019
grin grin grin

Na so I resurrect dead thread, e come hit front page
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Adeymorla(m): 8:21pm On Nov 12, 2019
qdlvy:
That's heartbreaking.
So sorry you had to go through this.
I almost bought the same model sometimes ago. Good price, well maintained although with sparse service records, excellent brown leather interior. It was too good to be true. I almost bought it on the spot when I went for inspection but the skeptic in me resisted and decided to sleep on it. Got home that day, went on Google, searched for the most popular Volkswagen forum (I always do this every time I'm about to buy something). Alas, the number of complaints on the same 2.0T model was alarming. From suspension to transmission to engine, it was endless. The model is a money pit. And to think Volkswagen is one of the most reputable car brands in the world. Goes to show even the renowned brands are either having a dip in quality measures or can occasionally get it all wrong. I remember the company had an emission scandal some years back so shouldn't be that all surprising.

Unless you live in Lagos, i will not advise buying vw cos most mechanics dont know how to fix it. If you will spend money to buy a car of 2005 and above, you should have money to buy a basic OBD scanner. Its a must.
If you stay in Lagos or environs, parts and mechanics for VW are at Iyana Itire before Cele. If you take your car there, rest assured the mechs there know their onions.

I have used VW Golf 4, VW Jetta4, VW Toureg and now VW Jetta 5. No issues whatsoever

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Alfred74: 8:21pm On Nov 12, 2019
thebigkendo:

Mr lecturer Howdy? Heard school is back in session..

Legalo how far now? Gotten buyer for your EOD?

grin grin grin grin

Thebigkendo you wan make person derail this thread with screenshots and links of past history? Nah warm up him they o. That your meme about segun's are so true,it cracked me up so good chaaaaaai grin
But please ee dorn do.
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by renewable1(m): 8:22pm On Nov 12, 2019
I see!

You need affordable solar power system for your home? Check my signature now
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by DEGABA(m): 8:23pm On Nov 12, 2019
Still using my golf mk3 1.8 ltr engine car I bought in 2013. The only major repair was converting it from auto to manual.
Don't be surprise if I tell you that mechanic has never worked on my engine for the past 6yrs. I only do the regular servicing and no black smoke is coming out from the exhaust till present.
German cars are the best if you service your car well.
My next car will still be a German car because I have already fallen in love with it.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by onward4life(m): 8:26pm On Nov 12, 2019
Joel3:
If only you knew what I went through with my first car in 2008; mistake of a life time, it put me in great pain and losses. Let me tell this story. I had a Passat 2.0 in the year 2008.

I went through air with the engine and gear box, when I intended to procure a new engine but could not find the engine in the Nigerian market not even in Lagos, as the car was not popular then, so I was advised by the engine seller to buy another engine (Audi A4) for conversion. He told me it would work and will be even cheaper that the original engine. He said he would recommend one of his mechanics to do it for me.

One of my friends said, “no, it’s better for us to use our mechanic in a situation like this, someone we know.” He told me, “this ibo man can do some tricks on us all the way just to sell market”, so we contacted the mechanic we knew. The useless mechanic, after examining the engine, told me that the engine would work in the Passat 2.0.

I paid for the engine and we picked it from the mechanic workshop. During that process, I was buying one thing after the other. I was running up and down all over the place, forces to buy so many things, all costing thousands and thousands.

That is when I started hearing of deferent names in motor engines. The painful part was that the money was not chicken change for me - it cost me hard earned money. My main reason for fixing the car was to sell it ASAP but it then turned out to be worthless.

So, let continue. After the mechanic finally sat the engine after spending several days and emptying my pocket, he then ‘discovered’ that there was a wire cable that comes out from the brain box which connects to the engine and opens the injector to pump fuel and there was nowhere to fix that on the new engine. After about 99% completion! I was like “wow!” - I was almost mad at that point. I asked the mechanic “what is the way out?” He said there is nothing he could do.

Then we had to discuss what to do. Someone came up with an idea to put in a carburetor at this point. I was completely tired of the car my mind at that point was to abandon the car in the mechanic workshop, but some other people advised and encouraged me to convert to a carburetor engine, saying they are even better than injector engines. I never wanted a carburetor engine because they are noisy, but there was no other choice for me at that time.

So I decide to do that. At that stage I had been forced to spend money I didn’t budget for at all. I was even afraid to continue - my leg was shaking while spending but I used bottles of beer to console myself..

To cute the story short, I bought the carburetor and the mechanic cute the injector pipes and gave it to the guy to install the carburetor into it. During this process I was still made to buy many different things just to seat the carburetor. I bought a new battery and they asked me to buy a new brain box to construct this. I was charging batteries every day, even renting more. Whenever the motor refused to start, it killed batteries very quickly.

Later, they finished with the carburetor construction and the motor indeed started, but with some noise. The mechanic said the engine was noisy because it was newly fixed, but after some time, it would be normal. However, when the mechanic sat the carburetor and everything in the engine, the bonnet could not be locked anymore grin . There wasn’t even any space for such act since the motor was not designed for carburetor. At this news I almost fainted because I had spent hundreds of thousands for all this nonsense.

I left the car there to face other things, but my mind couldn’t get away from that scene because it was so painful, and heartbreaking for me. Then one of my friends contacted another ‘good’ mechanic. I used the word “good” because he said the guy is good and the best Volkswagen mechanic he has known. He explained everything to the mechanic and asked, “what is the way out?” The mechanic suggested that we should reinstall the former engine and that we should ‘rise’ the engine. He said we would have to manage it until we found the right engine and the money was available for it.

When me friend contacted me and told me what his mechanic said, I said to him “what?? Spending more money on that blood sucking car? Is it the engine we have thrown and abandoned?” I told him I was not ready for this. “As you can see, I am just trying forget about that car for good, and here you are coming up with this again?”

He then begged me to try what he just told me. He said that he believed in that mechanic. I said, “the motor currently is with the other mechanic, so what do we do?” He said both of them should fix it. I then said, “ok. How much it gone cost me to ‘rise’ this engine? They did the calculations, and it was a few thousands of naira. So I gave him the money and said him, “I am counting on you. I want to hear on the phone that the car is working and can be driven.

However, at this time I contacted the man who sold the engine to me to explain the whole thing. The man said that my friend’s mechanic was not a good mechanic. He first advised that we use his mechanic ( bla bla and all that) I told him that will return back the engine - that we are not using it anymore - though the mechanic had tampered with so many things in the engine (cutting the injector pipes and all that,) He then said he had to take a look at the engine before he could say anything.

Now back to the rising issue, my phone kept ringing with requests for money to pay for more things. I said “what about the statistics you guys gave me earlier?” They said the extra just to buy some minor things which were not on that list. I said “okay here is money.”

After everything, the car was moving like something with no power and jacking when moving. It would stop and overheat within 5 minutes of driving. At this time the mechanic charged me 45,000 naira for all this rubbish. He said he had been working on my car for almost 2 weeks now, and had not done any other work. I said, “but you can see the condition of this car at present, that there has been no improvement.” He said that’s no business of his, as he had “repaired” my car.

I almost got some men to beat him up. Some of my guys wanted to even put this guy on their boot and take him away, I just had to beg and make peace, because I saw everything as my fault and my eyes were now wide open. I paid the mechanic 25,000 naira and took the car away.

My only option was to sell this car. The question was, “who with his right senses would buy this car?” Some guys advised me to go and park this car, and just patiently wait until whenever the engine was available. Then I could fix it, complete with a jack box. I said, “no I can’t keep this car any more. The only way is to sell it to car “busher” to dismantle it for spare parts. The Igbo men there priced it too cheap, so I eventually sold it to back to the same man who I bough the engine from, for very little money.

That was the end of my baby passat 2.0 experience.

So sorry bro

in 2017 I drove with a friend in his Mitsubishi jeep to wan under tree angrywar shop for just minor repairs! Dat wud hav taken like up to 3 to 4 days.. But honestly dat car later turn to bench 4 ppo wey wan rest, eat or nap and was eventually towed after 7months.

I almost plan bad 4 d mechanic dat was always demanding for more money Wen even he was confronted....

My Friend swore not to use anything apart from Toyota brands.

Bro Abeg go swear allegiance wit Toyota

Make yu know say yu Don join Bad gang....

Mechanic dey make me fear motor dat period my guy almost use his marriage money buy car parts

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Buffalo2(m): 8:26pm On Nov 12, 2019
Oh Gracious God! I ve bn trying to see the reason why this car comes a bit cheaper. It's like many mechanics can't handle it yet. It's golf 4 that gave me the insight of what "electronics" vehicle can do in the absence of mechanics with no technical know how of such cars
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by tojahh(m): 8:26pm On Nov 12, 2019
thebigkendo:
grin grin grin

Na so I resurrect dead thread, e come hit front page

Go collect one bag of foreign rice for them segun shop na

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by yvelchstores(f): 8:38pm On Nov 12, 2019
Lol, this same car my husband sold 270k and came home, knelt down and said "thank you Jesus" this was after spending over, 700k repairing this and that. It was such a relief.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by thebigkendo(m): 8:38pm On Nov 12, 2019
Alfred74:

Thebigkend you wan make person derail this thread with screenshots and links of past history? Nah warm up him they o. That your meme about segun's are so true,it cracked me up so good chaaaaaai grin
But please ee dorn do.

Na the worse e fit do na grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by thebigkendo(m): 8:39pm On Nov 12, 2019
yvelchstores:
Lol, this same car my husband sold 270k and came home, knelt down and said "thank you Jesus" this was after spending over, 700k repairing this and that. It was such a relief.

grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Please Tell Me About This Car / Chinese Man Create Lamborghini Replica For $10,000 / Price Of A Toyota Rav 4 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.