Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,681 members, 7,827,513 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) (33609 Views)

How To Process Your Car Tinted Permit Plus My Experience / My Experience Checking Out Innoson Car / Help.......!,availability Of Spares For Passat 2.0T ( 2007 Model) In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by waseun007: 8:42pm On Nov 12, 2019
Joel, i am not sure you wrote tge first illustration, i am beginning to evaluate your response angry
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by MedicH: 8:48pm On Nov 12, 2019
shebi when people talk about toyota una think say na joke. now u have been to hell and back. that's if you are back self
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by brownskilo(m): 8:51pm On Nov 12, 2019
Wait. This topic was created in 2013 sad

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Raysleek: 8:53pm On Nov 12, 2019
That's why I dey fear nigerian used cars. 80bpercent of nigerians will never sell their vehicles till it develops satanic fault.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by lukman22: 8:56pm On Nov 12, 2019
That's where the problem lies. 98% of mech don't know how to handle these cars and never want to upskill. My Timing adjuster was rattling and the mechanic I wan using wasn't comfortable to open the top talk more of agreeing to change it. I convinced him to go ahead and lose all the necessary things,any damage will be on my head. He later agreed while I supervise him and at the end I was the person that set the timing back and No more code. My car has been silent as a cool morning breeze ever since the fix. First,I browed all the problems of this 2.0T before I even bought it and most of the problems,I accepted that I can easily fixed them myself including this rattling issues if any mechanic can work with me. And I must tell you that on my next visit to the mechanic,he confessed that he assisted another of his colleague resolve a similar issue that he has been struggling for months after we successfully fixed mine. So the bottom line here is,any car is drivable and maintenable when one do the needful. Most of the people complaining of transmission problem most have change their transmission oil with a wrong one because a mechanic advise so.
Buffalo2:
Oh Gracious God! I ve bn trying to see the reason why this car comes a bit cheaper. It's like many mechanics can't handle it yet. It's golf 4 that gave me the insight of what "electronics" vehicle can do in the absence of mechanics with no technical know how of such cars

6 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Alfred74: 8:59pm On Nov 12, 2019
yvelchstores:
Lol, this same car my husband sold 270k and came home, knelt down and said "thank you Jesus" this was after spending over, 700k repairing this and that. It was such a relief.
grin
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by oglalasioux(m): 9:07pm On Nov 12, 2019
Joel3:
attached picture is the same type and color of my passat 2.0.

You said baby passat and you are showing this picture?

If you are not ready to replace bad spare parts, don't buy a passat. Passat is a luxury car. If you understand that one factor, you won't have a problem with it. But if you want to use cheaper manageable spare parts for it, you'll suffer.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by saddler: 9:16pm On Nov 12, 2019
This thread is more than a comic relief!

Especially that part he said after fixing the caburetor the bonnet was no longer closing grin grin grin

I laughed till I had tears in my eyes .

Never laughed this hard

13 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Ekakamba: 9:33pm On Nov 12, 2019
grin grin grin grin grin grin

It didn't easy. Lord praised!
yvelchstores:
Lol, this same car my husband sold 270k and came home, knelt down and said "thank you Jesus" this was after spending over, 700k repairing this and that. It was such a relief.
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Ekakamba: 9:35pm On Nov 12, 2019
saddler:
This thread is more than a comic relief!

Especially that part he said after fixing the caburetor the bonnet was no longer closing grin grin grin

I laughed till I had tears in my eyes .

Never laughed this hard
Seriously it wasn't funny when I first read that part but now? LWKMD.

Mehkanikki don finish extraordinary work. grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by adekzy: 9:36pm On Nov 12, 2019
Interesting, educative and eye-opening thread.
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by saddler: 9:37pm On Nov 12, 2019
Ekakamba:

Seriously it wasn't funny when I first read that part but now? LWKMD.

Mehkanikki don finish extraordinary work. grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by webngnews: 9:48pm On Nov 12, 2019
Hmmm
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by taneez(f): 10:10pm On Nov 12, 2019
The part where you couldn't close the bonnet got me. I cried while laughing. Hilarious. My dad used to drive Passat before I was formed in the womb till when I was around 5years. My memories of the latter end of the car wasn't sweet. Let me blame it on the length of the period of usage. I still don't like Passat till date though
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by searchng4love: 10:17pm On Nov 12, 2019
yvelchstores:

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by LaIabobo: 10:18pm On Nov 12, 2019
Dejijossy:
I once used the wagon type. My experience was horrifying. Mine issue was 1st gear box, my mechanic advised i covert it to manual. That was the beginning of my dilemma!
I later sold the car i bought for 1.1M for <250k

Oh boy.... cool cool cool
I can't imagine joy frustrating you felt then.
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by searchng4love: 10:18pm On Nov 12, 2019
taneez:
The part where you couldn't close the bonnet got me. I cried while laughing. Hilarious. My dad used to drive Passat before I was formed in the womb till when I was around 5years. My memories of the latter end of the car wasn't sweet. Let me blame it on the length of the period of usage. I still don't like Passat till date though

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by searchng4love: 10:20pm On Nov 12, 2019
lukman22:
That's where the problem lies. 98% of mech don't know how to handle these cars and never want to upskill. My Timing adjuster was rattling and the mechanic I wan using wasn't comfortable to open the top talk more of agreeing to change it. I convinced him to go ahead and lose all the necessary things,any damage will be on my head. He later agreed while I supervise him and at the end I was the person that set the timing back and No more code. My car has been silent as a cool morning breeze ever since the fix. First,I browed all the problems of this 2.0T before I even bought it and most of the problems,I accepted that I can easily fixed them myself including this rattling issues if any mechanic can work with me. And I must tell you that on my next visit to the mechanic,he confessed that he assisted another of his colleague resolve a similar issue that he has been struggling for months after we successfully fixed mine. So the bottom line here is,any car is drivable and maintenable when one do the needful. Most of the people complaining of transmission problem most have change their transmission oil with a wrong one because a mechanic advise so.

Any serious mechanic should be ready to listen to the customer's suggestions

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by searchng4love: 10:21pm On Nov 12, 2019
MedicH:
shebi when people talk about toyota una think say na joke. now u have been to hell and back. that's if you are back self
Have you had to replace Toyota transmission before? Or faced the big daddy problem before?
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Orpe7(m): 10:38pm On Nov 12, 2019
Just like my first car
Audi 80
Omo d car show me wella
Never again will i buy anything Audi
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by MedicH: 11:32pm On Nov 12, 2019
searchng4love:

Have you had to replace Toyota transmission before? Or faced the big daddy problem before?

Readily available, shikini money, mechanics sabi the work wella. Thats the issue.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by kolaaderin: 11:50pm On Nov 12, 2019
Joel3:
the engine is dead before i buy the car. i didn't buy it new. i was trick and convince to buy this car
Well it's all in the past. It's would have been better to ring the engine then than changing the engine to a different one entirely.
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Jamersirwin1971: 11:52pm On Nov 12, 2019
I just laughed reading this . Your story looks like that of my Late mechanic, He had a client who has a Land Rover Discovery , and the man had problems with his engine . He couldn’t get another engine because of the price . My mech adviced his client to go for a Toyota Camry pencil engine (5S or F , I really can’t remember) . I asked my mech hope he wasn’t wasting the client time and just wanting to eat his money , but he was very sure of what he was saying . Then we went to ladipo . I drove them with my car and we came with the Toyota engine . Took him just two day to fix it then all was good . As I speak to you the car still works perfectly fine and has it’s AC also working fine. This was done 5 years ago . The Alhaji who owns the LR discovery still drives it . I told some friends and they never believed me until someday the Alhaji came to my mech shop and we opened the bonnet , they all saw it and were all surprised . I would have shared the picture of the engine but it’s is on my phone which got spoilt.. currently not in Nigeria would have taken a picture if I see Alhaji and shared here .

When every I see the suv passing while I was in Nigeria I would just laugh , and say to my self person no go no say na Toyota engine Dey inside . My mech is late now . May his gentle soul Rest In Peace .

8 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 5:56am On Nov 13, 2019
Joel3:
the car is 2004 model i think so. not 2008.

The day I saw the car I check the car out, although we price the car but I was not too clear if to buy or not beside I was not with the money there, the all thing was like charm to me, so the next day before I bought the car, I hold the money and go there with a mechanic thinking if everything click I will just have to pay for the car go with it or not, and on the process of buying this car, the seller said let settle the price before we test drive which we did,

So when they start the car at that point it did not sound properly and it was smoking, then I said wow, but the seller said its just to change the engine oil and servicing that is what the car need and that its been long they park the car, so we just get into the car and as the mechanic was driving It, the car it binging to jeck and smoking and the mechanic said one of the gear number has fault. But on the computer screen from dashboard was showing “STOP service not normal” there is problem. I think something like that.

They said it is just to work on the car I think that reduces the purchase of the car a little bit anyway, atleast the mechanic said he would advice me to buy this car, if worst come to worst I will just have to buy new complete engine and gear box. Seeing that is the only problem and the car is still very clean. That’s how and where I get involve with the car.

(My mistake was I should have first enquire of the engine and all running cost in question before buying, because the seller was too in haste, I mistake ,… dang)

I make the payment for the car at same spot issue receipt and papers particular, and we drove off, we drive to a filling station to buy fuel, and the car did not start again. The mechanic said it’s the battery and really when we beg someone for battery and put it the car started. So the mechanic said I should just buy new battery for the car to be ones start being it’s a automatic car.

So we drive to there direct and buy brand new dry sell battery. And the car begging to start at one kick, so what next, he said the truth is that he is a Peugeot mechanic and not a Volkswagen mechanic so let us drive to one good Volkswagen mechanic, then I said ok so when we got there, the guy take a look at the engine he ask us to start it, when he finally observe all the things, he said let him tell me the truth, he said I should close eye to buy complete engine and gear box if I wan to enjoy this car. If I can’t afford the complete engine I can buy half and top engine and gear box.

He said because why he is saying all this., if he start to repair this motor the money I will spend is not a small money and to avoid further problem, he said I shouldn’t have bought the car at the first place in wish we meet him at the first place now the deed has been done the only way out is what he recommends.

That is were we enter the quest searching for the engine, but which I couldn’t find it at all in Benin, several engine seller put on the line with people from Lagos but they said that 2.0 engine is hardly seen, that there is any one currently. That is where my eye started opening, I couldn’t sleep. Nightmare and sadness. We almost beat the mechanic that makes me to buy the car.

That is how I got myself into that mess of no return,

your mechanic told you worst case scenario you'll buy complete engine and gear and you still used your clear eyes to proceed?(Come lemme Swear pray for you..) .I want to bash you but I'm try to be nice... One thing I hate to hear is 'Engine change' and once I hear it, I run away. Let the car just rot. For me, if a car is not silent as it should be and it smokes, I don't give a flying fvck what the 'small issue' is.... I run away.... The only issue I can be at peace with in a purchase is if its suspension or arm issues or braking system. Anything engine and transmission related, always run away cos it most times never ends well for you the buyer.... That seller must have thrown a huuuuge party after you made payment and left grin grin

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 6:01am On Nov 13, 2019
Jamersirwin1971:
I just laughed reading this . Your story looks like that of my Late mechanic, He had a client who had Land Rover Discovery , and the man had problems with his engine . He couldn’t get another engine because of the price . My mech adviced his client to go for a Toyota Camry pencil engine (5S or F , I really can’t remember) . I asked my mech hope he wasn’t wasting the client time and just wanting to eat his money , but he was very sure of what he was saying . Then we went to ladipo . I drove them with my car and we came with the Toyota engine . Took him just two day to fix it then all was good . As I speak to you the car still works perfectly fine and has it’s AC also working fine. This was done 5 years ago . The Alhaji who owns the LR discovery still drives it . I told some friends and they never believed me until someday the Alhaji came to my mech shop and we opened the bonnet , they all saw it and were all surprised . I would have shared the picture of the engine but it’s is on my phone which got spoilt.. currently not in Nigeria would have taken a picture if I see Alhaji and shared here .

When every I see the suv passing while I was in Nigeria I would just laugh , and say to my self person no go no say na Toyota engine Dey inside . My mech is late now . May his gentle soul Rest In Peace .
Landrover Camry grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by naijadrivablog: 6:06am On Nov 13, 2019
Mods, if God de delay answer una prayer the way una take 6yrs for this post to make FP, una go like am
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Mynewdawn15: 6:20am On Nov 13, 2019
Jabioro:
Passat car was an agbana in Yoruba language...In 1992 my either brother gave me two doors Passat for transportation...the car almost took my life..I regretted take the offer, though I was still a student..just to patched.. but I saw hell,I have to dumbed it...Move on ..
Chairman see as you murder English
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by okoroemeka(m): 7:13am On Nov 13, 2019
Jamersirwin1971:
I just laughed reading this . Your story looks like that of my Late mechanic, He had a client who had Land Rover Discovery , and the man had problems with his engine . He couldn’t get another engine because of the price . My mech adviced his client to go for a Toyota Camry pencil engine (5S or F , I really can’t remember) . I asked my mech hope he wasn’t wasting the client time and just wanting to eat his money , but he was very sure of what he was saying . Then we went to ladipo . I drove them with my car and we came with the Toyota engine . Took him just two day to fix it then all was good . As I speak to you the car still works perfectly fine and has it’s AC also working fine. This was done 5 years ago . The Alhaji who owns the LR discovery still drives it . I told some friends and they never believed me until someday the Alhaji came to my mech shop and we opened the bonnet , they all saw it and were all surprised . I would have shared the picture of the engine but it’s is on my phone which got spoilt.. currently not in Nigeria would have taken a picture if I see Alhaji and shared here .

well converting discovery and Murano engines to Toyota Camry had been perfected by Nigerian mechs for some obvious compatibility design ,I can remember in my school days I drove a Mazda panel van with a 4k Toyota engine and a dahistu axle,but some cars are not meant to be tinkered with,they will have a key,ecu, dashboard and engine that are linked electronically any mago mago or cutting corners on any it's faliure

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Jabioro: 7:35am On Nov 13, 2019
Mynewdawn15:

Chairman see as you murder English
I am not an English man...

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Nobody: 8:01am On Nov 13, 2019
okoroemeka:
some car brands are just joy Killers,I remember the fate of my lecturer friend that bought a Peugeot 607,the money he spent on that vehicle for one year will get two Honda babyboy accords,that's when I know what Scotty kilmer meant by calling some cars endless money pits.

Currently, there are 3 nos 607 in my circle (2 in the family & one with a friend). The youngest is about 16 months old.

The only issues we faced is one (Z8) that had two failed coils on a journey. Then the other one (Z9) had oil leaking from its Timing Control Solenoid Valve which caused limp mode but we replaced with brand new one and a missing fog lamp chrome.

I have a PP2000 I scan with, we only use recommended engine and gear oils (from Total & from PAN respectively).

We buy original parts directly from PAN Kaduna.

Oh, and we don't let any roadside mechanic destroy our cars. We tell him what to do and procedures to follow.

In all the cars belonging to me & my family members (Toyotas, Lexus, Hondas, Mercedes, BMW, Peugeots, Dodges, VWs, an Audi, a Hyundai and a Nissan), the cheapest oil we've used is Total Quartz 9000. We use US imported Mobil1, imported Castrol, Liqui Moly etc.

Same goes for gear oil (with exception to Peugeot gearboxes which we buy from PAN Kaduna).

Brake fluid minimum used is total dot 4 brake fluid.

Coolant & steering fluid all same.

Thermostats all in place and tested at intervals.

Cooling systems not abused ie fan still on automatic.

OBDII & PP2000 also on point (though standard OBDII scanner is generic, it still serves purpose).

First port of call is to scan,
then search on forums,
then speak to renowned, experienced and mordenized/knowledgeable guys on forums internationally and locally,
Then go through service manuals & guides,
and then finally go with all this information & supervise my mechanic on what to do.

My mechanic has benefited so much, he doesn't argue with me & calls me about issues with other cars.

He used to always be watching wrestling on YouTube but now, he's always watching important videos like Scotty Kilmer and ton of others I introduced to him.

There was a time he told me "baba, I have destroyed a lot of people's cars in ignorance I don't know if God will forgive me".

That's how a few days ago I saw a 2010 Lexus is350 serviced with Mobil superXHP & abro ATF.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by ogbuefi677(m): 8:09am On Nov 13, 2019
Orpe7:
Just like my first car
Audi 80
Omo d car show me wella
Never again will i buy anything Audi
Audi 80 is not much more complex than a Volkswagen golf 3.
You must've had a bad mechanic.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tokyolt: World's First 'Dual-Mode Vehicle' To Begin Operation In Japan / 10 Amazing Facts About Mercedes You Should Know / Car Crashes Into Building In Lagos. One Dead, Another Injured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.