Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,133 members, 7,845,761 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! - Family (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! (112723 Views)

Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? / Help! I Am Being Physically Abused By My Wife! What Will I Do? / Wives, Girlfriends, Partners Please Tell Me You All Have Experienced This Too. . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (111) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by LaShawn: 10:59am On Oct 02, 2013
Vure:

I don't know which. Honestly.
He gets really angry if I hang out with friends or go out without his knowledge.(I dont live with him) And in his anger he yells at me and almost immediately he apologizes.

He doesn't have any exes im aware of. According to him, no girl ever worth that much attention till he met me 5 years ago..

I wont resign from the Job.

I'd be concerned about his possessiveness if I were you. Because one of the most telling signs is when a man is over possessive to the point of alienating you from your friends and family.
And Like Ileo said, he just might be fascinated with How to 'tame the shrew', infact that was the first thought that Came to my mind when I saw that he was fascinated with your character. Nothing sweeter to them like breaking a woman with strong spirit and Seeing her wilt before their very eyes.

However, I don't want to jump to conclusions. Within you, you have the answers you seek. I didn't need anyone to tell me when I was in an abusive situation. I just didnt have a name for it. I read a lot and I saw a book talking of seven different types of dangerous men. I knew my ex would fall under one of them. But I avoided the book like a plague Because I wasn't ready to face the truth. It was after I broke up, that I got the book.

Again, my ex told me at the honeymoon period that I was different from other girls and if another man tried snatching me, heads would roll. At the time, it felt good being the object of such adoration. But it was only a matter other time before he realised I was a fellow woman not worthy of respect. I would ask you to watch carefully and see How he treats OTHER women. Waitresses, female colleagues, girls hanging out on their own, mum, sisters. How does he view them? what are the roles he feels they should function within?
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 02, 2013
LaShawn:

I'd be concerned about his possessiveness if I were you. Because one of the most telling signs is when a man is over possessive to the point of alienating you from your friends and family.
And Like Ileo said, he just might be fascinated with How to 'tame the shrew', infact that was the first thought that Came to my mind when I saw that he was fascinated with your character. Nothing sweeter to them like breaking a woman with strong spirit and Seeing her wilt before their very eyes.

However, I don't want to jump to conclusions. Within you, you have the answers you seek. I didn't need anyone to tell me when I was in an abusive situation. I just didnt have a name for it. I read a lot and I saw a book talking of seven different types of dangerous men. I knew my ex would fall under one of them. But I avoided the book like a plague Because I wasn't ready to face the truth. It was after I broke up, that I got the book.

Again, my ex told me at the honeymoon period that I was different from other girls and if another man tried snatching me, heads would roll. At the time, it felt good being the object of such adoration. But it was only a matter other time before he realised I was a fellow woman not worthy of respect. I would ask you to watch carefully and see How he treats OTHER women. Waitresses, female colleagues, girls hanging out on their own, mum, sisters. How does he view them? what are the roles he feels they should function within?

Please let's not confuse people here . . . .

The fact that a man is possessive doesn't make him an abuser.

Many men like to know that their women's body belong to them alone . . . My husband is on auto-hate mode for all my exes doesn't make him a ruthless brute!

It's the same way I hate the women he loved in the past . . . . No matter how good they are, I always find a way to mock them! tongue embarassed

And I hate it when another woman compliments my husband, it pisses me off to no end . . . .

OMG, I'm a jealous b***h shocked shocked
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by pickabeau1: 11:16am On Oct 02, 2013
Good one uju clarifying this

Jealousy or Abusive possession?
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 02, 2013
Th truth remains any single lady dt goes thru this thread would think twice abt marriage. The things i've read on this thread, if I were in a relationship, i'm sure i'll av to sit him down and interview him again all over. That's just how scary this thread is!

@vure, try and clear your head, okay From what you've written, I still don't see abuse. I'm sure i must have told a guy before that i'll kill him if I see anoda lady near him, even when I can't hurt a fly (don't mind my username, it's just cover-face). Dose tinz are mostly said jokingly sometimes. At the same tym, don't shut your eyes to obvious signs of abuse! Age difference is not a guarantee for abuse, of recent, i was with a guy >10yrs older than me nd not for a second did I eva think he'll dare lift his fingers on me (it ended for some oda reasons). So dearie, you need to get objective nd dis is one situation where u wanna use ur head nd nt ur hrt. Good Luck!

@kenyatta, i'm really happy for you. All thanks goes to God. Pls, kip us updated abt au tinz go, there are pple here who care abt you! Stay good!
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Vure(f): 11:56am On Oct 02, 2013
Y'all are getting it wrong.
It didnt start as dating.
My mum wouldn't take that.
It was all "my little wife, small wife" and all.. It never got serious till recently..
My dad is late and its just my mum and siblings. She couldnt do alot to train us all and seeing that he considered me a lil sis she wasn't worried.

I don't want to get married to him or anyone else at this stage of my life.

I do like him alot but I cant see me spending the rest of my life with him.
Now, how do I leave the relationship without being ungrateful?
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nobody: 12:02pm On Oct 02, 2013
Vure: Y'all are getting it wrong.
It was all "my little wife, small wife" and all.. It never got serious till recently..
My dad is late and its just my mum and siblings. She couldnt do alot to train us all and seeing that he considered me a lil sis she wasn't worried.

We are working with the information you gave us . . .

You said you guys met 5 years ago . . . You never said he was a family friend.

If a stranger suddenly decides to start paying the fees of my 17 year old daughter, I know what he's after. Let's not make any pretenses here . . .

Anyways, to each his own!

1 Like

Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nogen: 12:02pm On Oct 02, 2013
Vure:

Thanks alot ma'am.
He doesn't stop me from seeing friends directly but from his reactions whenever I go out he really hates me being with them..
At times he just suddenly comes up with this great urgency to hang out and thats especially when Im 'sposed to be with my friends.

My dear, runnnnn for your dear life! Possessiveness? That's how it starts. Tear race o.
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nobody: 12:02pm On Oct 02, 2013
What a coincidence. I visited Naija one time and had to attend a church we were invited to at Lagos island with my family. One of the choristers who happened to be at that time a family friend and the reason why we visited the church in the first place got the telling off of his life when he mistakenly used that "my small wife" line with me. He never tried it again, Infact the relationship went south after that.

What were their (my family )reasons? How a man can see a young girl who was 15 years and, and ever think of the word wife? Not even for play play, it wasn't allowed. "My young friend" would have been better off they said.
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nobody: 12:05pm On Oct 02, 2013

The last paragraph above is enuf to end a relationship! I dunno how u'll do it but u av to leave him.
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nobody: 12:06pm On Oct 02, 2013
jennykadry: What a coincidence. I visited Naija one time and had to attend a church we were invited to at Lagos island with my family. One of the choristers who happened to be at that time a family friend and the reason why we visited the church in the first place got the telling off of his life when he mistakenly used that "my small wife" line with me. He never tried it again, Infact the relationship went south after that.

What were their (my family )reasons? How a man can see a young girl who was 15 years and, and ever think of the word wife? Not even for play play, it wasn't allowed. "My young friend" would have been better off they said.

Don't mind them . . .

Besides it's one thing to jokingly use 'my small wife' and another to pay for her education. eissssh!
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Uredaddy: 12:17pm On Oct 02, 2013
jumzzy448: @ vure, have you discussed your fears with him? If no, i'll advice you do that. From all what you've said it seems he's a nice person. I think it will be good you answer those questions on the article ileobatojo posted. At least with that, you'll know if you are to stay or walk away. Good luck.

Discussing your fears with him will not change anything but may only give you false hope, I'm talking from experience. Before I got married to my husband, I discussed everything with him. Infact, he told me that if a man beats his wife, how will that same man possibly protect the woman from total strangers.

You can never know an abusive man by their words but thru their actions. This man is older than her, e don see things pass the girl so he'll know how to manipulate her brain with words. Please shine your eyes.

1 Like

Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 02, 2013

Is your mom aware that he's interested in having your hand in marriage? Was she even aware that you dated the man?
SHE is the only one that can make it clear to him that SHE doesn't support it based on whatever reasons SHE (your Mom) deems fit. Else, you are coming off as someone who just finished enjoying the good side of a maga & suddenly wants out when its their turn to bend over. undecided
I sincerely hope I'm wrong about that last part, dear.
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by pickabeau1: 12:19pm On Oct 02, 2013

Is the issue abuse or you want to be on your own...
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Uredaddy: 12:20pm On Oct 02, 2013
swag queen: @ Vure,When i met my husband,the first thing he said to me was, "now that you've finished,the next thing you'll do is to enroll for your masters degree programme."

I thought he was rare as he was interested in my future! Hahaha. They do somethings just to lure you. He's prolly obsessed with you because you're a virgin.

Please DO NOT RUSH INTO MARRIAGE!!! GIVE YOURSELF SOMETIME AND SEE AS THINGS UNFOLD.

With time,yelling may turn into verbal abuse and of course,the physical follows.

Gbam. Mine told me I'll go and study in UK after our wedding.
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 02, 2013
@Vure,your mum knew from the beginning that this guy was making an investment,this situation is tricky. Why did it take you so long to realize that you can't be with this man after letting him practically raise you from age 16?You really need to buy yourself some time because wriggling out of this won't be easy but anything is better than a failed marriage.Can you afford to pay him back?chances are, he won't make it easy for you.Whatever you decide,don't ever marry him out of pity or gratitude for his care.nkea onatabeghi kpomo,nwa guy agaghi ahapu gi easilyooooo.
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 02, 2013
Uredaddy:

Uredaddy and swag queen, thank you. You guys are picking up the red flags from this guy. They are glaring o! And I agree that discussing will not help anything. And yes, they can manipulate. I'm surprised that after 40 something pages of this thread, people still cannot recognize the red flags for an abusive relationship. There are other issues with this relationship but make no mistake, one of them is psychological abuse!
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Cathaliya: 12:30pm On Oct 02, 2013
byvan: @Vure,your mum knew from the beginning that this guy was making an investment,this situation is tricky. Why did it take you so long to realize that you can't be with this man after letting him practically raise you from age 16?You really need to buy yourself some time because wriggling out of this won't be easy but anything is better than a failed marriage.Can you afford to pay him back?chances are, he won't make it easy for you.Whatever you decide,don't ever marry him out of pity or gratitude for his care.nkea onatabeghi kpomo,nwa guy agaghi ahapu gi easilyooooo.
cheesy
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by bukatyne(f): 12:37pm On Oct 02, 2013
Vure,

I am assuming that you knew he wanted to marry you that's why he trained you in the first place.

Remember that anyone who breaks an agreement will suffer it in the end.

You might want to pay the man back his 'money' but know that some things cannot be quantified. You can't measure his care, his sweat, his time etc.

Sit down and really view everything over and over again to see what you have issues with apart from the following:

Your age;
the age difference;
your exposure/his lack of;
his education etc.

While I will never support abuse of any form, some little flaws like the above listed can be worked on. If it's your age, it could be a plus for you. However, if he is abusive, then take a walk.

It is only an irresponsible mother/parent who would let another person esp. male who is undefined train her child esp. female

The man himself get im own for body... 27 to about 16?
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nogen: 1:14pm On Oct 02, 2013
bukatyne: Vure,

I am assuming that you knew he wanted to marry you that's why he trained you in the first place.

Remember that anyone who breaks an agreement will suffer it in the end.

You might want to pay the man back his 'money' but know that some things cannot be quantified. You can't measure his care, his sweat, his time etc.

Sit down and really view everything over and over again to see what you have issues with apart from the following:

Your age;
the age difference;
your exposure/his lack of;
his education etc.

While I will never support abuse of any form, some little flaws like the above listed can be worked on. If it's your age, it could be a plus for you. However, if he is abusive, then take a walk.

It is only an irresponsible mother/parent who would let another person esp. male who is undefined train her child esp. female

The man himself get im own for body... 27 to about 16?

And he didn't take advantage of you during the 5 years. Hmmmmmmm! This case is delicate o. I would like you to be very careful here. He practically trained you in school and in return, he wants to marry you. If he's not abusive, you may have to reconsider your stand. You should not have allowed him spend his money on you all these years.
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by judii(f): 1:21pm On Oct 02, 2013
Nogen:

And he didn't take advantage of you during the 5 years. Hmmmmmmm! This case is delicate o. I would like you to be very careful here. It practically trained you in school and in return, he wants to marry you. If he's not abusive, you may have to reconsider your stand. You should not have allowed him spend his money on you all these years.
exactly what I had in mind to tell her. I doubt if this guy is an abuser o! U can slow down on the marriage plans 4 now so u can be sure because this your matter cannot just be swept under the carpet o! It is really, really complicated. All the best!
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by bukatyne(f): 1:22pm On Oct 02, 2013
Nogen:

And he didn't take advantage of you during the 5 years. Hmmmmmmm! This case is delicate o. I would like you to be very careful here. It practically trained you in school and in return, he wants to marry you. If he's not abusive, you may have to reconsider your stand. You should not have allowed him spend his money on you all these years.

If she does any how and the guy curses her, it will stick.

That's why some people have undefined problems in future
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 02, 2013
pickabeau1:

Is the issue abuse or you want to be on your own...

Bros, I think you have asked the real question. I am not sure I see abuse here or too many red flags. I just think Vure does not want to marry this man but she feels indebted to him. The man may have obvious character flaws but may or may not be an abuser. Sending a driver to take you everywhere is not a bad thing. Getting angry when you hang out with your friends is a red flag and him yelling at you is another one. You keep saying you are scared of him, but you havent said what you are scared of. I think you are scared of telling him you dont love him and what he might do after that. May be I should ask "do you love this man?". If no then dont marry him.

The way I read this just suggest to me Vure does not really love this man and would rather not marry him. Vure the answer is simple, find a way to tell him quickly so that he knows where he stands. Let you mother be with you and also get some men around you if possible (in case he gets violent). Try get a doctor close by in case he suffers a heart attack. But, I am not sure if this one is abuse o!

3 Likes

Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by swagqueen(f): 1:25pm On Oct 02, 2013
Uredaddy:

Hahahahaha! Nna mehhhn,i was so fickle minded that i agreed to everything he said!

Don't wear jeans,wear native. (I was wearing jeans the day he met me o)
Don't wear make up (u need to see the make up that i had on the day we met)
Don't wear human hair,wear your natural hair,it fits you more.
Don't do this,don't do that!

But he'll dress to kill o when he's going out. He attends any function he wants but I'm not allowed to do that.

He buys his designer clothes and shoes and buys anything for me.( i no dey earn money abi so i can't enjoy all the good things of life]

Kai,it won't happen again!
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by kreamidiva(f): 1:30pm On Oct 02, 2013
Nashville:

Bros, I think you have asked the real question. I am not sure I see abuse here or too many red flags. I just think Vure does not want to marry this man but she feels indebted to him. The man may have obvious character flaws but may or may not be an abuser. Sending a driver to take you everywhere is not a bad thing. Getting angry when you hang out with your friends is a red flag and him yelling at you is another one. You keep saying you are scared of him, but you havent said what you are scared of. I think you are scared of telling him you dont love him and what he might do after that. May be I should ask "do you love this man?". If no then dont marry him.

The way I read this just suggest to me Vure does not really love this man and would rather not marry him. Vure the answer is simple, find a way to tell him quickly so that he knows where he stands. Let you mother be with you and also get some mens around you if possible (in case he gets violent). [b]Try get a doctor close by in case he suffers a heart attack. [/b]But, I am not sure if this one is abuse o!

Lmfao at the bolded.
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by pickabeau1: 1:34pm On Oct 02, 2013
Thanks for your observation also

its important we are clear on twhat is a character issue viz-a-viz anger or one which will lead to abuse

Not clarifying this can lead to conflict avoidance in the name of not being called abusive

The lady may not want the relationship anymore or maybe she wants to be herself for a while and grow a little more (which is alrigt as 21 is pretty young)

The realities of our economic situation in naija make it what it is...... some people are really poor and cant even cater for one child and there is no safety net in nigeria which led to Unorthodox forms of assistance like help, helping your 'fiance' through school.

Nashville:

The way I read this just suggest to me Vure does not really love this man and would rather not marry him. Vure the answer is simple, find a way to tell him quickly so that he knows where he stands. Let you mother be with you and also get some mens around you if possible (in case he gets violent). Try get a doctor close by in case he suffers a heart attack. But, I am not sure if this one is abuse o!
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nogen: 1:39pm On Oct 02, 2013
bukatyne:

Walahi! The curse will catch you o! I think he's a good guy. For the mere fact, he didn't tke advantage of you all these years is a plus. Think about it.
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 02, 2013
I think it's obvious Vure doesn't not love this man. She is only with him due to feeling indebted. I think she would have gone ahead managed the marriage if he was not showing abusive signs. However no love + signs of abuse = problem magnified x 100. Throw in the indebtedness and she is carrying a mountain on her shoulders. Please don't advise this woman wrongly. The fact that he paid for her education does not mean she must marry him. So she should marry him to go and divorce 2 yrs and 2 kids later?

Lesson also to the men who try to buy their women by paying for their education. If you can't do it charitably out of the goodness of your heart and free her to leave the relationship if she ever decides to, you need to keep your money in your pocket. What kind of rubbish is that? As for this particular guy, he is a predator, end of story.

2 Likes

Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 02, 2013
bukatyne:

Buka, don't guilt or scare this woman into marrying this guy. No curse can stick if she makes good faith effort to do things right. About the unquantified things you mentioned, that is true for any relationship, doesn't mean one can't end it whenever you want.
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by LaShawn: 1:50pm On Oct 02, 2013
Ujujoan:

Please let's not confuse people here . . . .

The fact that a man is possessive doesn't make him an abuser.

Many men like to know that their women's body belong to them alone . . . My husband is on auto-hate mode for all my exes doesn't make him a ruthless brute!

It's the same way I hate the women he loved in the past . . . . No matter how good they are, I always find a way to mock them! tongue embarassed

And I hate it when another woman compliments my husband, it pisses me off to no end . . . .

OMG, I'm a jealous b***h shocked shocked

Yes, a man likes knowing that your body belongs to him alone. But you left out something very important which I will add again. He is so possessive that he alienated you from family and friends? That he doesn't allow you go out alone?

Also, another thing I've said before which I'll tell the girl asking this question is: How does he view other females apart from you? It's the little things which are overlooked, that end up being the major.

1 Like

Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Ngokafor(f): 1:55pm On Oct 02, 2013
@Vure,this is my take on your case....am sorry but i dont entirely buy your story about the so-called possessivenes of your guy,me think your eyes have been opened to see that you can do better 'husband wise' now that he has tushed you up so to speak.The guy is/was a craddle-snatcher no doubt but i blame you and your mum(am sorry) more for allowing a MAN single-handedly see you through school like he's father christmas or something,that is so wrong cos the poor guy was clearly doing so cos he wanted to marry you and am sure you all knew that!!...now you appear stuck with no easy way out

...my dear,you owe him a whole lot and complaing about his 'possessive nature' will not cut it right now cos am sure you knew how 'bad' he was all the while he was doling out cash to you in school,yet you kept on fleecing him...a really tricky situation you have found yourself in...what a pity!

...i didnt mean to be judgmental but i can imagine how crushed and taken for a fool this guy would feel if you dump him now(whch i suppose is inevitable)...

5 Likes

Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nobody: 2:05pm On Oct 02, 2013
LaShawn:

Yes, a man likes knowing that your body belongs to him alone. But you left out something very important which I will add again. He is so possessive that he alienated you from family and friends? That he doesn't allow you go out alone?

Also, another thing I've said before which I'll tell the girl asking this question is: How does he view other females apart from you? It's the little things which are overlooked, that end up being the major.

Bless you Lashawn. I'm glad some of the victims are recognizing the signs. At least you will be unlikely to end up with another abuser.

Exactly about overlooking the signs. When the shite hits the fan, people will start asking if she didn't know before marrying him.
Re: For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! by Nobody: 2:09pm On Oct 02, 2013
ileobatojo: I think it's obvious Vure doesn't not love this man. She is only with him due to feeling indebted. I think she would have gone ahead managed the marriage if he was not showing abusive signs. However no love + signs of abuse = problem magnified x 100. Throw in the indebtedness and she is carrying a mountain on her shoulders. Please don't advise this woman wrongly. The fact that he paid for her education does not mean she must marry him. So she should marry him to go and divorce 2 yrs and 2 kids later?

Lesson also to the men who try to buy their women by paying for their education. If you can't do it charitably out of the goodness of your heart and free her to leave the relationship if she ever decides to, you need to keep your money in your pocket. What kind of rubbish is that? As for this particular guy, he is a predator, end of story.

I completely disagree with you. Calling this man a predator is very unfair. He never slept with her even at age 21. He sent her through school and has not demanded anything in return. If anything, he believes Vure loves him out of her own free will because that is what she has made him believe. He may have character flaws like everyone else but he is not a predator - you can go check the definition again. The lesson goes both ways and in this case may be more for the ladies. The man has not done anything wrong and its very possible that when Vure eventually tells him she is not interested, he may even take it well. But I will advice when breaking up, get some men around you including a cardiologist!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (111) (Reply)

My Husband Nearly Beat Me To Death Because I Denied Him Sex - Happiness Omonogor / Husband Caught His Cheating Wife, Snapped And Framed The Picture / Ikoyi Marriage Registry: Info Needed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.