Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

Is The Universe Conscious - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Universe Conscious (3305 Views)

Praise The Universe.... I Finally Became An Atheist! / What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? / Newsflash!! Forget Bigbang, Forget Creationism, The Universe Had No Begining. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Universe Conscious by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:54am On Oct 01, 2013
Our brains are just a very complicated series of chemical reactions which in turn produce yet more chemical reactions. If we are acting as a result of response to stimuli are we separate and conscious or are we just a reaction and in illusion?

Albert Einstein went further by saying that "everything is energy"; that "a human being is a part of the whole called by us [the] Universe". His words echoed the most ancient of spiritual and philosophical teachings and still underpin today's cutting-edge scientific discoveries.

These complicated chemical reactions are not limited to life or to Earth. All of the chemicals in the universe have different charge and properties based upon how that charge is arranged. There are planets with volcanos of liquid nitrogen and there are rocks that have never had life on them yet chemicals bound together by countless impacts and reactions to produce amino acids which are the basis of all known carbon based life.

Going by all this reactions, can we say the Universe is Conscious?
If truely human mind/soul is part of the infinite consciousness, can we also say plants, stone, water and other particles in the universe are conscious too?
What exactly is consciousness to your own view?
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 01, 2013
*Takes the front seat. Waiting for logicboy and muskeeto*
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Lovetinz(m): 10:33am On Oct 01, 2013
Yes. The Universe is conscious, Not in the way we know consciousness,
but it an unknowable way.
We are far too low on the ladder of consciousness that we can only imagine
what the Universe's consciousness is like.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Nobody: 10:54am On Oct 01, 2013
Lovetinz: Yes. The Universe is conscious, Not in the way we know consciousness,
I don't understand.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:19am On Oct 01, 2013
Reyginus: I don't understand.

I think he is trying to say If consciousness arose from matter, and matter arose from the universe, consciousness arose from the universe. If that consciousness is aware of the universe, in whole or in part, then the universe is conscious of itself, in whole or in part, just like you are aware of yourself.

Really want to know if stones and plants are conscious too.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:27am On Oct 01, 2013
Lovetinz: Yes. The Universe is conscious, Not in the way we know consciousness,

Does this consciousness applies to stone and other inanimate objects?

Can you define consciousness pls?
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 01, 2013
Of course you are right...the universe is consciousness . The universe supports everything we do,that is why we need to understand that the laws of the universe is always in relationship with the laws of attraction. Everything we imagine is given to us....

Better self,Better world.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Nobody: 11:37am On Oct 01, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

I think he is trying to say If consciousness arose from matter, and matter arose from the universe, consciousness arose from the universe. If that consciousness is aware of the universe, in whole or in part, then the universe is conscious of itself, in whole or in part, just like you are aware of yourself.

Really want to know if stones and plants are conscious too.
I will wait for his response.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:55am On Oct 01, 2013
ifeness: Of course you are right...the universe is consciousness . The universe supports everything we do,that is why we need to understand that the laws of the universe is always in relationship with the laws of attraction. Everything we imagine is given to us....

Better self,Better world.

Going by what you post here....can you explain consciousness in black hole, star explosion and natural laws that oppose or set against each other.

What is consciousness? Does it apply to stone and plants?
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 01, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Going by what you post here....can you explain consciousness in black hole, star explosion and natural laws that oppose or set against each other.

What is consciousness? Does it apply to stone and plants?

The black holes is a connective port hole to all the dimension our total being occupys.We experience different realities/parallel realities. Most of the time our dreams makes us experience them. The laws of nature do not conflict. The first law of nature is : You EXIST and that cannot be changed. You will always exist in one form of other. Life and death are only a form of transformation from one form to another

Consciousness is a state of awareness. Physical reality is within consciousness,death is also within consciousness. Plant,stones,mountains are all within consciousness because none of them are real but an experience in the matrix of physical reality. It is like looking into the mirror, what ever you see in it is not real,only you(consciousness) who is looking into the mirror. That is why when you change,they change.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:24pm On Oct 01, 2013
ifeness:

The black holes is a connective port hole to all the dimension our total being occupys.We experience different realities/parallel realities. Most of the time our dreams makes us experience them. The laws of nature do not conflict. The first law of nature is : You EXIST and that cannot be changed. You will always exist in one form of other. Life and death are only a form of transformation from one form to another

Consciousness is a state of awareness. Physical reality is within consciousness,death is also within consciousness. Plant,stones,mountains are all within consciousness because none of them are real but an experience in the matrix of physical reality. It is like looking into the mirror, what ever you see in it is not real,only you(consciousness) who is looking into the mirror. That is why when you change,they change.

Should will proceed to say that our consciousness is illusion?

Pls put more light on 'awareness of inanimate objects'.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Lovetinz(m): 1:41pm On Oct 01, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Does this consciousness applies to stone and other inanimate objects?

Can you define consciousness pls?

Yes. Stones and inanimate object are conscious in a way you would likely call crude.

Imagine u don't have eyes, ears, legs, brain.. you don't have physical body,
That state of existence is what I believe stones possess.
They don't see or feel pain, but they are an intelligent collection of atoms, just like you are.

My personal definition of consciousness is:
"To know that you are" To be able to think about thinking.
I think scholars call it Metacognition.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:49pm On Oct 01, 2013
Lovetinz:

Yes. Stones and inanimate object are conscious in a way you would likely call crude.

They don't see or feel pain, but they are an intelligent collection of atoms, just like you are.

The bold is perfectly put. But can inanimated object realise it state of existence?

Going by your definition, inanimate objects are not fit in. Or is it me thats not seeing it?
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 01, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Should will proceed to say that our consciousness is illusion?

Pls put more light on 'awareness of inanimate objects'.

Consciousness is what you are. Movement,death,physical reality are all illusion. If you look at Television,you can tune to different channels which are happening at the same time. Tuning is the shift to experience a different reality.

Talking about inanimate object, what you are is what you will experience. Just like limitation is a state of experience,freedom,expansion opportunities,abundance are on a different level. The mountains, stars we see are as a result of collective consciousness. These are things all the people on this planet/physical reality have agreed to experience together. Some people chose to experience the tsunami,911 and other natural disasters together . Those who decide to change will experience different reality. That is why those who change their ways of thinking in a different way most people do today will not experience what the others do. Some people are already seeing beings in the 4th and 5th dimension.....the list goes on.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:30pm On Oct 01, 2013
ifeness:

Consciousness is what you are. Movement,death,physical reality are all illusion. If you look at Television,you can tune to different channels which are happening at the same time. Tuning is the shift to experience a different reality.

Talking about inanimate object, what you are is what you will experience. Just like limitation is a state of experience,freedom,expansion opportunities,abundance are on a different level. The mountains, stars we see are as a result of collective consciousness. These are things all the people on this planet/physical reality have agreed to experience together. Some people chose to experience the tsunami,911 and other natural disasters together . Those who decide to change will experience different reality. That is why those who change their ways of thinking in a different way most people do today will not experience what the others do. Some people are already seeing beings in the 4th and 5th dimension.....the list goes on.

Thanks for this input bro. Erm pls try to understand that im not holding any position here. Im just confused and want to learn from people's view and ideal about this.

I asked an Ifa priest why people worship Idols like stone and other non-living things and what is the basis of animal sacrifices. This man is illiterate and cant explain things vividly to me. He made me realise that it is the view of Ifa that all things on earth, and in our entire universe, are conscious and alive. Everything possesses its own awareness and ase (energy). These infinite, natural energies that comprise the universe are called Eledumare......the infinity consciousness.

I have been trying to break things down to my mentality level but seem im having headache or something. I just dont get the picture.

So pls let me learn from you.
- Dont you think consciousness have to do with life and brain?
- How is stone that isn't living or with brain aware of it environment?
- I agree atoms and energies are intelligently made into inanimate objects but does this make them conscious?
- Dont you think the properties of inanimate object randomly occured and nothing intelligent about it?

I will appreciate answers from you.

1 Like

Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 01, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Thanks for this input bro. Erm pls try to understand that im not holding any position here. Im just confused and want to learn from people's view and ideal about this.

I asked an Ifa priest why people worship Idols like stone and other non-living things and what is the basis of animal sacrifices. This man is illiterate and cant explain things vividly to me. He made me realise that it is the view of Ifa that all things on earth, and in our entire universe, are conscious and alive. Everything possesses its own awareness and ase (energy). These infinite, natural energies that comprise the universe are called Eledumare......the infinity consciousness.

I have been trying to break things down to my mentality level but seem im having headache or something. I just dont get the picture.

So pls let me learn from you.
- Dont you think consciousness have to do with life and brain?
- How is stone that isn't living or with brain aware of it environment?
- I agree atoms and energies are intelligently made into inanimate objects but does this make them conscious?
- Dont you think the properties of inanimate object randomly occured and nothing intelligent about it?

I will appreciate answers from you.

life and brain are within consciousness. The brain will cease to work if consciousness( pure energy) leaves. Like the Ifa priest correctly said,every thing contains consciousness.Eledumare in Yoruba mean Consciousness,an energy that cannot be created nor destroyed but can change form. When you talk to a stone, you are activating/ giving the stone permission to act as a medium to your higher self. That was the method used by our ancestor which was later twisted by christianity and islam; they put the source in the sky and not the stone this time around.

The brain is an antenna that transmit consciousness. When a baby is born,colours has no inbuilt meaning to it,then gradually it starts interpreting meaning into it. Everything we experience are not real. The only thing real is EXPERIENCE itself. They are all the creation of the brain. If the brain receives wrong information,it will recreate wrong experiences which could lead to the creation of negative realities. That is why one should filter informations before giving the brain the go ahead to duplicate them.

I think the only thing intelligent is you.

1 Like

Re: Is The Universe Conscious by plaetton: 3:27pm On Oct 01, 2013
No. I dont think that that the universe is conscious.

If the universe was conscious, then it would not have begun with simplicity.

I think that consciousness, much like everything in the universe, evolved out of the ceaseless flux of energy in the universe.

I have argued before that consciousness is a product of evolution when the flux in energy reached a certain and unique electromagnetic threshold.

Same thing applies for awareness, sentience and intelligence.

In fact, everything in the universe shows a tendency to evolve from simplicity to complexity and not the other way round.

Inanimate objects are not conscious because they vibrate below the electromagnetic threshold. Some creatures are alive , but not conscious, some are conscious but not self-aware, some are self-aware but intelligent or sentient simply because their genetic frequencies(for want of a better word) are have not reached the electromagnetic thresholds for these stages of existence.

Think of energy as radio station with many channels or frequencies. If you tune into channel 1, you get consciousness, channel two gets you self-awareness, channel 3 gets you intelligence and channel four gets you sentience.

The higher the octave the more evolutionariy advancement the we see, or Should I say,the greater in evolutionary complexity, the higher octave in the energy streeam.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Lovetinz(m): 3:32pm On Oct 01, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

The bold is perfectly put. But can inanimated object realise it state of existence?

Going by your definition, inanimate objects are not fit in. Or is it me thats not seeing it?

To you, they are inanimate, same way as to them, YOU are inanimate.

Consciousness can only be viewed from your own point of 'animation'
just like an Ant might see and hear you as an approaching Tsunami,
So does a stone sees you as an explosion in Alpha Centauri (A neighboring star outside our solar system).

Hmmm, Intelligence.. Thats another topic on its own.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:44pm On Oct 01, 2013
ifeness:

life and brain are within consciousness. The brain will cease to work if consciousness( pure energy) leaves. Like the Ifa priest correctly said,every thing contains consciousness.Eledumare in Yoruba mean Consciousness,an energy that cannot be created nor destroyed but can change form. When you talk to a stone, you are activating/ giving the stone permission to act as a medium to your higher self. That was the method used by our ancestor which was later twisted by christianity and islam; they put the source in the sky and not the stone this time around.

The brain is an antenna that transmit consciousness. When a baby is born,colours has no inbuilt meaning to it,then gradually it starts interpreting meaning into it. Everything we experience are not real. The only thing real is EXPERIENCE itself. They are all the creation of the brain. If the brain receives wrong information,it will recreate wrong experiences which could lead to the creation of negative realities. That is why one should filter informations before giving the brain the go ahead to duplicate them.

I think the only thing intelligent is you.

How about when part of the brain is damaged or altered, can there be consciousness again?

Are we still conscious when dead and the brain stop functioning completely?

I once heard the Yoruba people saying leaf sleep so they cant make use of it for herb. If the leaf is needed at must at that particular time, there are form of incantations they use for that. I dont know much on that.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:55pm On Oct 01, 2013
plaetton: No. I dont think that that the universe is conscious.

If the universe was conscious, then it would not have begun with simplicity.

I think that consciousness, much like everything in the universe, evolved out of the ceaseless flux of energy in the universe.

I have argued before that consciousness is a product of evolution when the flux in energy reached a certain and unique electromagnetic threshold.

Same thing applies for awareness, sentience and intelligence.

In fact, everything in the universe shows a tendency to evolve from simplicity to complexity and not the other way round.

Inanimate objects are not conscious because they vibrate below the electromagnetic threshold. Some creatures are alive , but not conscious, some are conscious but not self-aware, some are self-aware but intelligent or sentient simply because their genetic frequencies(for want of a better word) are have not reached the electromagnetic thresholds for these stages of existence.

Think of energy as radio station with many channels or frequencies. If you tune into channel 1, you get consciousness, channel two gets you self-awareness, channel 3 gets you intelligence and channel four gets you sentience.

The higher the octave the more evolutionariy advancement the we see, or Should I say,the greater in evolutionary complexity, the higher octave in the energy streeam.

You are a part of the universe, I’m going to presume. So when you’re out late looking up at the stars from some campsite here on earth, one part of the universe is suddenly acutely aware of another part of it.

It’s fair to say then, that at least in that moment, the universe is conscious of itself.

Well wait a minute… not quite, right?

Something in the universe is aware of something else in it.

But is that really different from the way in which you’re aware of yourself? A chunk of matter in your head is aware of (among other things) some other lengths of matter sprouting from your torso. Is this not a body being aware of itself?

So if a part of something is aware (to some degree, anyway) of the rest of that thing, then you can say that thing is self-aware. Is that not true for the universe?

Also you argue that if the universe is conscious, it wont start from simplicity. Does this explain sperm cell and it development to self aware grown human?

My main shot is stone and plant consciousness....I really need to picture that
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
Lovetinz:

To you, they are inanimate, same way as to them, YOU are inanimate.

Consciousness can only be viewed from your own point of 'animation'
just like an Ant might see and hear you as an approaching Tsunami,
So does a stone sees you as an explosion in Alpha Centauri (A neighboring star outside our solar system).

Hmmm, Intelligence.. Thats another topic on its own.

From what im having here, there shouldn't be state of unconsciousness then. No?
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by plaetton: 6:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

You are a part of the universe, I’m going to presume. So when you’re out late looking up at the stars from some campsite here on earth, one part of the universe is suddenly acutely aware of another part of it.

It’s fair to say then, that at least in that moment, the universe is conscious of itself.

Well wait a minute… not quite, right?

Something in the universe is aware of something else in it.

But is that really different from the way in which you’re aware of yourself? A chunk of matter in your head is aware of (among other things) some other lengths of matter sprouting from your torso. Is this not a body being aware of itself?

So if a part of something is aware (to some degree, anyway) of the rest of that thing, then you can say that thing is self-aware. Is that not true for the universe?

Also you argue that if the universe is conscious, it wont start from simplicity. Does this explain sperm cell and it development to self aware grown human?

My main shot is stone and plant consciousness....I really need to picture that

Well, if you wan to deduce that since humans are self-aware and also part of the universe, therefore the universe is self-aware, you can logically say that, but means that you can also say that because Nigerians are know to be very corrupt, the entire landmass of Nigeria is also corrupt.

No doubts, there is consciousness in the universe, but it evolved from interactions of matter in the universe at a certain point in time.
Now, because consciousness is now present in the universe, the universe is no longer what it was. It is now more dynamic because the consciousness is now an active agent itself in the universe.

So, if consciousness is god, like some would believe, then god evolved in the universe just like everything else, and therefore did not create the universe, as most believe.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 01, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

How about when part of the brain is damaged or altered, can there be consciousness again?

Are we still conscious when dead and the brain stop functioning completely?

I once heard the Yoruba people saying leaf sleep so they cant make use of it for herb. If the leaf is needed at must at that particular time, there are form of incantations they use for that. I dont know much on that.

Firstly about the brain: The brain is a physical object,the physical symbol that allows consciousness(non physical consciousness) to become physical mentality,or mind. Therefore the brain is only a tool used by consciousness to experience this physical reality. Without the brain consciousness does exist and will always exist. We are still very conscious after dead to the physical reality and are our true self when we stop experiencing this physical for. As a mater of fact, the physical reality is a dead -like state,a dream that when we wake up(die) we become more alive.

I heard about the leaf too. Just like our physical body, we sometimes need events that makes us full of life. The incarnation is about reconnecting the leaf with the electromagnetic field that made it conscious in the first place. That is on the path that Energy is needed for everything.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Nobody: 6:35pm On Oct 01, 2013
Lovetinz:

would u then say that a corpse is conscious?
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Lovetinz(m): 6:40pm On Oct 01, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

From what im having here, there shouldn't be state of unconsciousness then. No?

What do you mean there shouldn't be state of unconsciousness.
You want to reconfigure 'reality'?
Are you conscious or not?
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Lovetinz(m): 6:51pm On Oct 01, 2013
Beretta92: would u then say that a corpse is conscious?

Yes.
In a way that me and you may find hard to understand.

You are looking for 'biological consciousness' here. The corpse is no longer a united person you used to know.
(We are stepping up to metaphysics and a dash of spirituality here)
In short, He knows he exists..
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Virick(m): 6:56pm On Oct 01, 2013
It is simply hard to believe that u all are my fellow Nigerians. U see, it matters not entirely what any here thinks is the right answer and that includes me and my opinion (which I will share later when I have more time), but what matters is the fact that u are all THINKING for urselves, u are all, Pondering! I have not seen so far, quotations from any religious books. I am impressed. Wow!
It is heart warming to see thoughts that extend in attempts to encompass the cosmos, instead of ur small planet on the edge of this particular universe.

Una well done ooooooo...... smiley smiley smiley

Virick Ponders.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 01, 2013
Virick: It is simply hard to believe that u all are my fellow Nigerians. U see it matters not entirely what any here thinks is the right answer and that includes me and my opinion (which I will share later when I have more time), but what matters is the fact that u are all THINKING for urselves, u are all, Pondering! I have not seen so far, quotations from any religious books. I am impressed. Wow!
It is heart warming to see thoughts that extend in attempts to encompass the cosmos, instead of ur small planet of the edge of this particular universe.

Una well done ooooooo...... smiley smiley smiley

Virick Ponders.
Lol. Actually, you've not seen anything yet. These guys are da bomb. This is the religion section.

1 Like

Re: Is The Universe Conscious by plaetton: 7:17pm On Oct 01, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. Actually, you've not seen anything yet. These guys are da bomb. This is the religion section.

Is that a compliment?
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Nobody: 7:20pm On Oct 01, 2013
plaetton:

Is that a compliment?
Lol. Ofcourse. The religion section is the reason i'm still on nairaland. I love everything extra-terrestial or closer.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 01, 2013
i believe so...well sometimes.
Re: Is The Universe Conscious by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 01, 2013
FOLYKAZE: Our brains are just a very complicated series of chemical reactions which in turn produce yet more chemical reactions. If we are acting as a result of response to stimuli are we separate and conscious or are we just a reaction and in illusion?

Albert Einstein went further by saying that "everything is energy"; that "a human being is a part of the whole called by us [the] Universe". His words echoed the most ancient of spiritual and philosophical teachings and still underpin today's cutting-edge scientific discoveries.

These complicated chemical reactions are not limited to life or to Earth. All of the chemicals in the universe have different charge and properties based upon how that charge is arranged. There are planets with volcanos of liquid nitrogen and there are rocks that have never had life on them yet chemicals bound together by countless impacts and reactions to produce amino acids which are the basis of all known carbon based life.

Going by all this reactions, can we say the Universe is Conscious?
If truely human mind/soul is part of the infinite consciousness, can we also say plants, stone, water and other particles in the universe are conscious too?
What exactly is consciousness to your own view?

#deep.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Covid 19: Was Pastor Chris Right? See New Evidence! / Is Islam A Religion Of Peace? / Did Jesus Defecate On Himself When He Was Nailed On The Cross.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.