Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,374 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? (27655 Views)

5 Types Of People You Meet At A Typical Nigerian Buka (mama Put) / The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew / Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by dozai: 12:17am On Oct 06, 2013
adonismuller: Second to comment

@ topic,its Τ̲̅ђe washing inn of somtin........
As in DOWNSTREAM WATER?
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by Nobody: 12:36am On Oct 06, 2013
Madam bukatyne

You're needed here.
Come and explain the secret to us grin
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by Afrok(m): 12:47am On Oct 06, 2013
I don't know wot makes their stew sweet but me don't really care coz I do my cooking, no reason to chop for buka...
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by badmeat(m): 2:59am On Oct 06, 2013
Buka!just the mention of ur name!turns my taste bud into a salivating frenzy!grin
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by dheaven: 5:58am On Oct 06, 2013
If you have kitchen utensils and you still eat in Buka that means you dont know how to cook. Most buka food enviroment are very dirty and unhealthy to eat.
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by dukila: 7:15am On Oct 06, 2013
It's rotten tomatoes, thts d secret. The tomatoes tht u and I wont buy in d market, tht's d one they buy nd it turned out to b a great ingredient. Try it nd see.

2 Likes

Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by kyaky(m): 8:12am On Oct 06, 2013
My kid brothers just named their dogs nando and dillish
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by slimmingcare(f): 8:16am On Oct 06, 2013
this is what happens to men those who eat out
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by musiwa1l: 8:19am On Oct 06, 2013
this is what i miss in yoruba. the food. they taste yummy.

most yoruba women now dont know how to cook ifokore, an ijebu food. iya will be wonderful. just joking. tuwo with gbegire. bad govt no good o.. o ma se.
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by stevewale(m): 8:29am On Oct 06, 2013
Well, my own believe is that buka stew/soup is always sweet cos mostly, they mixed all sort of meat like intestines, beef, goat meat, fish, ponmo, etc in one soup; so couple with d person's skills-- there's no way such soup won't be sweet o... Hardly will u see anyone mix all those things at home. "Even for juju to work, the person too must have a good sense of cooking" lolz

2 Likes

Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by Princek12(m): 8:52am On Oct 06, 2013
labalaba:
Measurement and Buka? I don't think they measure anything oh

Yes they do. It is called eyeball measurement, where you can use experience to determine the ratio of tomato to Tatase to rodo and to alubosa in order to get a good result.

2 Likes

Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by shollzy: 8:57am On Oct 06, 2013
It's the mixture of orisirisi meat like shaki and d rest...d stew is yummy olobe lo loko
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by royale442(m): 9:07am On Oct 06, 2013
Revolva: cool cool i heard most mama put women also tie juju..oo o attract customers grin grin grin omo no wond er iya latifat canteen each ime i pass bye i must enter go buy food ....so tey e get one time i was broke...i nearly wash plate...for her...just to get a plate of amala and soup .....i was just asking her if she had any late for me to wash..in exchange of a plate of food ...but she later gave me sha...she told me her helpers have washed all the plates...

as i ate finish n i told her i will give her money tommorrow..she agrreed ..when i left i imagine me asking to was a plate.....for another person..na that d ay i know say jazz ivolve grin grin
guy na confirm hunger hold u.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by lumeneng22: 9:08am On Oct 06, 2013
Just light your faya wud, put palm nuts on faya, squiz them and add fresh cat fish and ingridents. Banga shup is redi.
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by paix(m): 9:08am On Oct 06, 2013
I learnt some of them wash their private part and use the water to cook soup with it.
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by cycline404(m): 9:44am On Oct 06, 2013
Iya Basira.... Style plus
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by kyaky(m): 9:48am On Oct 06, 2013
Oh yes some p-juice almost everytime is washed into local but richly petronized mama puts...
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by chreldb(m): 9:53am On Oct 06, 2013
labalaba: What is the secret to the best Buka stew? I have heard mixed reviews about MSG (Ajinomoto & Vedan) and Palm oil, but if you use Maggi or Knorr you already use MSG.

So it is really the Firewood? I think the Juju thing is just absurd...else the juju is made out of perfect seasoning undecided.

http://www.9jafoodie.com/2011/03/stew-obe-ata/ : This is a great recipe I have tried over and over again in my kitchen and it never fails. But I still think a little something is missing.

All the great cooks and mamaput customers alike Oya add your jara grin wink

@ bolded the answer to that question is most likely yes. As a matter of fact there is a scientific explanation. Firewood contains phenolic compounds which are Incorporated into foods cooked with it. These compounds give foods a unique flavor and also serve as preservatives. That is why you observe that jolof rice cooked with firwood (party rice) always taste better. You will also observe that fish or meat products roasted over firewood (barbeque) also taste better than gas oven roasted. I am not sure if coal as the same properties but I suspect so. That is the little I know about the science of cooking with firewood. Feel free to research further. By the way nothing like Juju when it comes to stomach matters.
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by taif(f): 10:07am On Oct 06, 2013
u are invited

Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 06, 2013
They use over-riped,sometimes rotten tomatoes.

They dnt use that red pepper(ata rodo),they use that dry long red-brownish pepper with very little tomatoes.

They use both palm oil and groundnut oil.

They dnt use salt and if they do,they use little and lots of maggi

They use very reddish tin tomatoes.

They use firewood or charcoal.

They fry the stew very well and they dnt add the meat stock.
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 06, 2013
chreld_b:

@ bolded the answer to that question is most likely yes. As a matter of fact there is a scientific explanation. Firewood contains phenolic compounds which are Incorporated into foods cooked with it. These compounds give foods a unique flavor and also serve as preservatives. That is why you observe that jolof rice cooked with firwood (party rice) always taste better. You will also observe that fish or meat products roasted over firewood (barbeque) also taste better than gas oven roasted. I am not sure if coal as the same properties but I suspect so. That is the little I know about the science of cooking with firewood. Feel free to research further. By the way nothing like Juju when it comes to stomach matters.

I believe you are right.
I have an elderly aunt that uses firewood to cook and it is simply delicious and she doesnt add all these plenty plenty seasoning.Not because she cant afford gas and it's her house so she has a backyard kitchen.
Whenever am around,i must visit her. tongue
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by Reference(m): 10:19am On Oct 06, 2013
Joavid: They use over-riped,sometimes rotten tomatoes.

They dnt use that red pepper(ata rodo),they use that dry long red-brownish pepper with very little tomatoes.

They use both palm oil and groundnut oil.

They dnt use salt and if they do,they use little and lots of maggi

They use very reddish tin tomatoes.

They use firewood or charcoal.

They fry the stew very well and they dnt add the meat stock.

So why can't budding wives and girl friends reproduce same results. Or is it a case of 'pls donot try this at home'. C'mon surely there must be more than meets the eye.

Could remember one of my uncles back then who would drive all the way from Ikeja to Surulere on a saturday morning like he had been on a diet all week and another top CEO who would have his smuggled to his guest house from across town to avoid the wonder. Both of course happily married.

My guess is that if the food tastes better than your mum's or wife's (of more than ten years) then you're done.
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by Nobody: 10:24am On Oct 06, 2013
Reference:

So why can't budding wives and girl friends reproduce same results. Or is it a case of 'pls donot try this at home'. C'mon surely there must be more than meets the eye.

will u allow ur galfrnd/wife to use firewood in ur kitchen?

and for most women,the meat stock is very important to them.
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by Reference(m): 10:37am On Oct 06, 2013
Joavid:

will u allow ur galfrnd/wife to use firewood in ur kitchen?

and for most women,the meat stock is very important to them.

Hmm, my dear, you donot know what good food means to a man. If it is only the firewood that matters surely he will build a fire place in his bedroom. But...
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by Reference(m): 11:26am On Oct 06, 2013
I also think it could be a question of statistics as much as culinary skills that as a lady, if you put yourself out there your food could generate as much interest as the ace mamas. I've been to a couple of joints in Jos and Benin and I found the experience absolutely terrible so its obviously not the food (we all have different tastes) but the importunity: the cross roads of a hungry people without reasonable alternatives often at the wrong end of culinary maltreatment at home hence develop an overeaching excitement for alternatives outside that are barely better.

Thus if you took that 'home meal' that tastes ordinary and place it at that cross-road you could sooner become the next bukka-star. Hmm.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by pinkshell(f): 12:51pm On Oct 06, 2013
Op, no b juju, na ur laziness cos am!undecided
As u no 1 cuk n u no get choiz!
Even if dem put 'gall' as bitter as it is inside fud for u, e go sweet for ya mout.
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by cj1080(m): 1:13pm On Oct 06, 2013
Blame others for my situation things
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by Bluemoon1(f): 6:31pm On Oct 06, 2013
dukila: It's rotten tomatoes, thts d secret. The tomatoes tht u and I wont buy in d market, tht's d one they buy nd it turned out to b a great ingredient. Try it nd see.

You're absolutely right. i was told they buy the basket of rotten tomatoes usually kept under the tables in the market. i used to wonder why they didn't throw them away.
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by LordReed(m): 6:53pm On Oct 06, 2013
I wonder if KFC or McDonalds or Tastee Fried Chicken or any of the other successful fast foods chain are being accused of using juju. Our Mama Puts are our very own Naija fast food so I do not wonder at their success rather I wish to God that someone will come along and brand them the way KFC became a big brand.
Re: The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? by Achmet(m): 7:38pm On Oct 06, 2013
End time things!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Download Free Video On How To Make Chocolate Cake / Hunters Fight Over An Antelope Their Dog Caught (Video) / Price Of Garri Skyrockets Astronomically

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.