Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:04 AM

Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... (49204 Views)

How Easy Is Life For Nigerians (or Non-eu) In Germany / How's Life For Nigerians In Germany / Spain: How Is Life For Nigerians Over There? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by opejulie10: 12:39pm On Dec 11, 2017
@golden boy

I stumbled across your thread at the right time
I need advice badly

My husband and I with our two kids wants to move to us permanently,he does not have a professional certificate but he works with Lagos State for now as a plumber..

I just got a job with Lagos State too as an education officer.. I don't know if I should leave the job and start afresh by going back to school for an iT program in the US while he looks for a job over there ,we are living quite comfortable here and I won't want a situation where we would start hustling in another man's country.
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by mright05(m): 3:19am On Dec 12, 2017
[quote author=Goldenboy007 post=59108437]

Hi,

@Goldenboy

I stumbled across your threads I must say your advice on various topic on survived in the us has been educative and encouraging...please I need answer to the few question on mine

1. Wht is the Easies way to secure a visa to the us as a. African immigrant....i have try on applying through schools and I met a agent who offer to assist me in securing a visa but its has not be successful

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by mright05(m): 3:22am On Dec 12, 2017
[quote author=Goldenboy007 post=59108437]

Hi,

@Goldenboy

I stumbled across your threads I must say your advice on various topic on survived in the us has been educative and encouraging...please I need answer to the few question on mine

1. Wht is the Easies way to secure a visa to the us as a. African immigrant....i have try on applying through schools and I met a agent who offer to assist me in securing a visa but its has not be successful

2. am a graduate of mechanical engineering from one of the fed poly which it degree or it certificate I need to boast my chance of getting a better job
looking forward to read from you soon
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 11:09am On Dec 12, 2017
Hi guys,

I have seen all your PMs and post here. I apologize for not replying soon I have been so busy. It's year end reporting at work so it's a very busy period for me. I will reply everyone as soon as I am free. Also I know I have to complete my story.

@ Mright05 - That issue has been treated in other Topics on Nairaland. In fact Nairaland is a wealth of information if you know how to find it. Whatever information you cannot find , then I will help you.

@ Babaconfirm - I will get back to you as soon as I can. All others - I will reply your emails. Also everybody - please if doesn't involve personal details - post your questions here so that we can all discuss and learn from each other.
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by mright05(m): 8:31pm On Dec 13, 2017
[quote author=Goldenboy007 post=63210832]Hi guys,

I have seen all your PMs and post here. I apologize for not replying soon I have been so busy. It's year end reporting at work so it's a very busy period for me. I will reply everyone as soon as I am free. Also I know I have to complete my story.

@ Mright05 - That issue has been treated in other Topics on Nairaland. In fact Nairaland is a wealth of information if you know how to find it. Whatever information you cannot find , then I will help you.

@Goldenboy ... thanks for reply, I have read through some similar write up on the on the questions I ask early on, but I need want you to throw more little on this and you are over there with some much experience ...so please drop more light on my questions . thanks u
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Panama07: 1:21am On Dec 14, 2017
opejulie10:
@golden boy

I need advice badly

My husband and I with our two kids wants to move to us permanently,he does not have a professional certificate but he works with Lagos State for now as a plumber..

I just got a job with Lagos State too as an education officer.. I don't know if I should leave the job and start afresh by going back to school for an iT program in the US while he looks for a job over there ,we are living quite comfortable here and I won't want a situation where we would start hustling in another man's country.

It may not be that easy as expected in your first year but if your husband can work hard and at the same time you return to school for IT program, it will all end up in praise.
As a plumber who is not lazy, your husband can be making average or $2k monthly here in Chicago without professional certificate. Your immediate success also depends on who your family will be living with in America when you arrive.
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by opejulie10: 7:09am On Dec 14, 2017
Panama07:

It may not be that easy as expected in your first year but if your husband can work hard and at the same time you return to school for IT program, it will all end up in praise.
As a plumber who is not lazy, your husband can be making average or $2k monthly here in Chicago without professional certificate. Your immediate success also depends on who your family will be living with in America when you arrive.

Thanks a lot, this is so helpful
you don't know how happy I am.
Hubby is not a lazy man...Na to look for person wey we go stay with for the first six weeks
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Panama07: 4:44pm On Dec 14, 2017
opejulie10:

Thanks a lot, this is so helpful
you don't know how happy I am.
Hubby is not a lazy man...Na to look for person wey we go stay with for the first six weeks

You are welcome!
I don't know about other cities though but here in Chicago, I have seen people turning their situation around for better within 6 months.
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Lamexx(m): 9:20am On Dec 21, 2017
Goldenboy007:
How I bought $24,000.00 Dodge Charger with Cash.

I have read many stories on people living in diaspora, the good, the bad and the ugly. Different strokes for different folks. I write based on my own experience and for those that have spoken to me, they know I am a simple down-to-earth guy.
So I have been on car shopping for 2 months - I love cars and US has given me opportunity to live my dreams. Within 4 years I have used 4 cars, I get tired of a car easily.
When I initially got into US, to save cost I wanted to drive a car low on maintenance so I stuck with the Toyotas and the Hondas - this time around I wanted something different so I did my research and concluded on a 2015 to 2017 Dodge Charger. Good technology, fair cost of ownership.
Now the story goes - I started the car shopping - every weekend was spent driving around from Dealers to dealers. I used 3 websites - Cars, Truecar and Craigslist.
It was a terrible experience - It seems when a black guy with accent enters a premium car outlet, they assume you are either a drug dealer, you are uneducated and you have a terrible credit score. I now see why they call the dealership - "stealership".
Now most mistakes immigrants make is to go into dubious contracts with car dealership. I have written in the past that we forget our heritage when we go into foreign land. We try to copy the American lifestyle while we are Nigerians. The American lifestyle works for the Americans, it does not work for us - we have different customs and values. This has accounted for many immigrant failure in diaspora. African culture is rich in moral values - A river that forgets it's source will quickly dry up. You are a new immigrant - even some experienced immigrant make same mistake - you walk into a Dealership - the dubious sales man crunches some numbers and pronto - he gives you a monthly payment plan - you quickly sign the papers - you have just signed away your financial freedom in the US. There are times slavery is not by Chains and Cuffs, sometimes it's economic slavery and psychological slavery. You come into US gbam !!!! You see all the beautiful shining stuffs you never had back home - those devilish sales men tell you they are virtually free if you sign on a paper - you begin signing - credit cards, Mortgage, student loan, car loans, store cards, needless insurance, needless subscriptions - after some years you discover you are just living paycheck to paycheck. You have booked different loans against all your future income for the next 30 years in US. All you do now is working to pay back debts - a slave to your creditors. No wonder the good book says - "A borrower mortgages his freedom", well I will talk about this another day.
Back to my car story ....ok this post is becoming too long ..i will continue later.

Three gbosaaa for you Goldenboy007. Am enjoying your contribution. Very valuable information here. The truth is that information and knowledge is key to survive America. Continue with your car story baba. I am also interested in getting the Dodge Charger or Chevrolet Camaro when I grow up in America and have money like you. For now, let me manage with low maintenance Honda Accord.
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 12:47pm On Dec 24, 2017
Merry Christmas folks.

Thanks for all the encouragement and contributions. Please be free to contribute your experience or ask questions.

Continuing my car story. - so I was in the car market for a new car. I don't want people to mistake my advice here - I am not asking people not to enjoy their life in America but do not go into debt in the process of trying to live the larger -than-life lifestyle. My principle is - In Nigeria we mostly do not have a robust credit system and yet we save up and buy good life with Cash so why would you come to US and live as if your life depends on credit ?
I am not saying getting an auto loan is bad but make sure you can afford it and then you get the best deal. The first 3 cars I used in US I bought them cash from Craigslist - I saved up to buy them.
So I did a research on the car I wanted and I know I am more comfortable financially to buy a new car. Even if I would get auto loan, my credit score is fantastic and I am putting down substantial down payment. Like I said previous, I used Craigslist, Truecar, Cars dot com and carscomplaints websites. I researched on payment options and interest rate. Bank of America is ready to give me auto loan but I must buy from their preferred Auto dealers. Another option is the Credit Union - they have good rates too. The problem is the review I read on the Credit Union said they may start with a good rate and change it suddenly when you are locked in. Then Bank of America will make you buy an expensive car from their preferred "stealership". Those terrible dealership will add different fees and commission to their total cost and charge you the maximum tax.
In the mean time I was cutting down my expenses and saving more, they said the best time to buy a car is towards the end of the month when sellers wants to meet up with sales. End of the year too is great. At the end i discovered that no matter where i get the autoloan from, they are going to cheat me. US runs a capitalist system, the rich will always take advantage of the poor. The best way to win the system is to have your money to buy in cash. If you have cash then even your credit score doesn't matter.
Cash is king - because not many people have cash in US - people are ready to give you good deals if you promise to pay in cash - and I have used this to my advantage every time. I will tell the seller I have cash in my pocket - If you give me this deal I will pay you raw cash now. It has always worked for me. (Big cash is better in the bank - please don't get robbed). Also when dealing with Craigslist - avoid Mexicans, Middle Easterns (Syrians, Arabs,) and Russians sellers- they are like us - Nigerians ( we know ourselves) their cars are mostly tampered with - odometer rolled back. I deal with the white Americans - their cars are well maintained and they are mostly honest.

So I found this new Dodge Charger in Indiana , I live in Chicago - the seller said he is ready to sell to anybody with Cash. I have an Autocheck account to check VIN, car checks out clean. Retired old man buys a brand new Dodge Charger to impress girls, his retired wife wants him to sell it or else he gets a divorce ! Drove down with a friend to Indiana - car is brand new - the man is desperate to sell because of his wife - I have cash ready - deals done !!! Saves me dealership fees, reduced my sales tax, saves me financing fees, saves me interest payment - I owned my car outrightly - I don't have to do expensive service with dealership, I am not locked into expensive insurance - now that's the Nigerian way of buying cars. Honest Nigerians are smart and hardworking people - we are the most friendly and kind.
And that's my story. I am not saying America is paradise but it's a place that gives you the opportunity to live your dreams if you know what you are doing. Also please note that I am running projects in Nigeria and I am also saving for retirement so I am not spending all my money in US. Home will always be home ! A proverb says - It is only a bastard that will use his left hand to point to his father's house - despite all what we say about Nigeria - It is my home - No matter how rich you become in America - you will always be that black man with accent - racism is real ! Although your money will buy you class and acceptance but when you get within the circle of the rich - you will feel the discrimination.

One thing people that have spoken with me on the phone would note - I am a man of integrity and faith. Work hard and smart, trust God and you will conquer the foreign land. Success is a universal language and money has no tribe.

I wish you all a happy holiday and a great successful year ahead.

Modified - Hey guys I apologize if I have not replied your messages - I get so many inbox messages and I am so busy. Also please if your issues are not so personal please share it here, we will all learn together. And to those that wants help - you can't imagine how many requests I get - I love to help but my resources are limited. May God help us all. You are all important and I don't look down on anybody - Its today we know, nobody knows tomorrow.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by lionlee216(m): 1:26pm On Dec 24, 2017
Timesup234, i see you. You thought the OP bought the car on credit? Nah, he paid cash lol
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 1:46pm On Dec 24, 2017
This is the Red Devil ...lol..with my personalized plates ..it is my native name

2 Likes

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Neyoalao(m): 3:08pm On Dec 24, 2017
Goldenboy007:
This is the Red Devil ...lol..with my personalized plates ..it is my native name
Damn this is a real town and to think it wasn't bought on credit I hail oh. Please kindly share pictures of the interior. Congratulations on your new whip by the way, more girls are gonna be drooling
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 3:57pm On Dec 25, 2017
Neyoalao:

Damn this is a real town and to think it wasn't bought on credit I hail oh. Please kindly share pictures of the interior. Congratulations on your new whip by the way, more girls are gonna be drooling

Girls lekwa ? Well it's all snowy and messy now..I will send the inside pic later..if I remember sha.

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 4:07pm On Dec 25, 2017
opejulie10:
@golden boy

I need advice badly

I can't believe I missed out this question. I am so sorry.

Well my advice is ...why change the profession you are already established in ? I.T is lucrative but like you said it is like a reset button for you which is a bit of a gamble.
Your husband is ok although he would have to get certification before he can practise in US. Hustling in US is ok as far as you know what you are doing. Do what you guys are great in. Experience in teaching will get you a job faster compared to having to go start IT from the beginning. First make sure you have a regular income to take care of the family before trying your hands o new things.
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 4:12pm On Dec 25, 2017
Panama07:

He is also right ...yes he can do small jobs without certification but if he wants to go professional and have a business name...he needs certification. Like Panama said ...yes you can go for IT but you have experience in Teaching that guarantees you a job then you can train for IT by the side. Thanks Panama07 for replying.
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 4:20pm On Dec 25, 2017
My general advice is - when Moses ask God to give him what he would use to conquer Egypt ..God asked him, " What do you have ? Moses said " Nothing" ..and God said - " What's in your hand ? " ..a staff.

When moving into a new location - start with what you have a comparative advantage in ..that guarantees survival until you are familiar with your new environment and pursue your dreams. Don't rush into anything new ..find your own niche.

1 Like

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by goldenfresh: 5:36pm On Dec 25, 2017
Goldenboy007:
My general advice is - when Moses ask God to give him what he would use to conquer Egypt ..God asked him, " What do you have ? Moses said " Nothing" ..and God said - " What's in your hand ? " ..a staff.

When moving into a new location - start with what you have a comparative advantage in ..that guarantees survival until you are familiar with your new environment and pursue your dreams. Don't rush into anything new ..find your own niche.

Please I sent you a message, abeg reply
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by opejulie10: 8:35pm On Dec 25, 2017
Goldenboy007:

Well my advice is ...why change the profession you are already established in ? I.T is lucrative but like you said it is like a reset button for you which is a bit of a gamble.
Your husband is ok although he would have to get certification before he can practise in US. Hustling in US is ok as far as you know what you are doing. Do what you guys are great in. Experience in teaching will get you a job faster compared to having to go start IT from the beginning. First make sure you have a regular income to take care of the family before trying your hands o new things.
Goldenboy007:

Goldenboy007:

Thank you very much for this

you are truly God sent, hubby mind is made up already, I would have preferred to stay back in Nigeria cos my career has a strong backing here but what choice do I have? I have to support my boo
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by chidekings(m): 8:00am On Dec 26, 2017
Goldenboy007:
Merry Christmas folks.

Thanks for all the encouragement and contributions. Please be free to contribute your experience or ask questions.

Continuing my car story. - so I was in the car market for a new car. I don't want people to mistake my advice here - I am not asking people not to enjoy their life in America but do not go into debt in the process of trying to live the larger -than-life lifestyle. My principle is - In Nigeria we mostly do not have a robust credit system and yet we save up and buy good life with Cash so why would you come to US and live as if your life depends on credit ?
I am not saying getting an auto loan is bad but make sure you can afford it and then you get the best deal. The first 3 cars I used in US I bought them cash from Craigslist - I saved up to buy them.
So I did a research on the car I wanted and I know I am more comfortable financially to buy a new car. Even if I would get auto loan, my credit score is fantastic and I am putting down substantial down payment. Like I said previous, I used Craigslist, Truecar, Cars dot com and carscomplaints websites. I researched on payment options and interest rate. Bank of America is ready to give me auto loan but I must buy from their preferred Auto dealers. Another option is the Credit Union - they have good rates too. The problem is the review I read on the Credit Union said they may start with a good rate and change it suddenly when you are locked in. Then Bank of America will make you buy an expensive car from their preferred "stealership". Those terrible dealership will add different fees and commission to their total cost and charge you the maximum tax.
In the mean time I was cutting down my expenses and saving more, they said the best time to buy a car is towards the end of the month when sellers wants to meet up with sales. End of the year too is great. At the end i discovered that no matter where i get the autoloan from, they are going to cheat me. US runs a capitalist system, the rich will always take advantage of the poor. The best way to win the system is to have your money to buy in cash. If you have cash then even your credit score doesn't matter.
Cash is king - because not many people have cash in US - people are ready to give you good deals if you promise to pay in cash - and I have used this to my advantage every time. I will tell the seller I have cash in my pocket - If you give me this deal I will pay you raw cash now. It has always worked for me. (Big cash is better in the bank - please don't get robbed). Also when dealing with Craigslist - avoid Mexicans, Middle Easterns (Syrians, Arabs,) and Russians sellers- they are like us - Nigerians ( we know ourselves) their cars are mostly tampered with - odometer rolled back. I deal with the white Americans - their cars are well maintained and they are mostly honest.

So I found this new Dodge Charger in Indiana , I live in Chicago - the seller said he is ready to sell to anybody with Cash. I have an Autocheck account to check VIN, car checks out clean. Retired old man buys a brand new Dodge Charger to impress girls, his retired wife wants him to sell it or else he gets a divorce ! Drove down with a friend to Indiana - car is brand new - the man is desperate to sell because of his wife - I have cash ready - deals done !!! Saves me dealership fees, reduced my sales tax, saves me financing fees, saves me interest payment - I owned my car outrightly - I don't have to do expensive service with dealership, I am not locked into expensive insurance - now that's the Nigerian way of buying cars. Honest Nigerians are smart and hardworking people - we are the most friendly and kind.
And that's my story. I am not saying America is paradise but it's a place that gives you the opportunity to live your dreams if you know what you are doing. Also please note that I am running projects in Nigeria and I am also saving for retirement so I am not spending all my money in US. Home will always be home ! A proverb says - It is only a bastard that will use his left hand to point to his father's house - despite all what we say about Nigeria - It is my home - No matter how rich you become in America - you will always be that black man with accent - racism is real ! Although your money will buy you class and acceptance but when you get within the circle of the rich - you will feel the discrimination.

One thing people that have spoken with me on the phone would note - I am a man of integrity and faith. Work hard and smart, trust God and you will conquer the foreign land. Success is a universal language and money has no tribe.

Modified - Hey guys I apologize if I have not replied your messages - I get so many inbox messages and I am so busy. Also please if your issues are not so personal please share it here, we will all learn together. And to those that wants help - you can't imagine how many requests I get - I love to help but my resources are limited. May God help us all. You are all important and I don't look down on anybody - Its today we know, nobody knows tomorrow.

No matter how impressive you sound...
U sound like an intending scammer, who asked you to describe yourself here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 12:01pm On Dec 26, 2017
opejulie10:

Thank you very much for this

you are truly God sent, hubby mind is made up already, I would have preferred to stay back in Nigeria cos my career has a strong backing here but what choice do I have? I have to support my boo

You are welcome Sis. Someone asked me this same question recently. She owns a small school back in Nigeria but she had an accounting degree. She had been a teacher all her life with teaching qualifications. When she relocated she got several teaching job offers but people started advising her to go do CPA. (Accountant). She has zero experience in accounting. I told her same thing - most important thing - priotize what is bringing home income - when you now have funds and time - study for accounting by the side. Don't worry you and your husband will be ok.
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 1:00pm On Dec 26, 2017
I get so many questions on schooling in the US. There are topics on Nairaland about US colleges and student life you can learn from. There are so many schools that are international student friendly, however you need to research yourself and find what is suitable for you. Also remember immigration policies are changing everyday so be sure you know what you are going into before you start investing in it.
Now this what I have observed about some people that wished to school US.
1 - Help me get Admission - Nobody can help you get Admission into anywhere. This says a lot about you, will they help you get Admission and also sit for your visa interview? You need to have a genuine interest to further your education or get more qualified in your profession. Ask yourself why you want that degree? What benefit would it be to you, how does it fuel your passion, how does it fit into your future plans, what do you hope to become with that qualification, why that particular school, what does that school have and others do not. How did you plan towards getting the admission, how do you plan to pay tuition, etc.
So don't just tell me - I want to school in US - why US? Why not UK or Canada or Russia. Two guys were arrested recently by immigration. This particular guy got an admission into a school but did not bother to report to the school. The school reported the case to immigration and he was put on wanted list. This guy didn't stop there, he started helping others to do the school "runs" too. Finally one of those he helped was caught at the airport and he mentioned who helped him - they discovered the guy was the same person on their wanted list. All they needed was his phone number and he was traced. He is right now in the ICE gallow.
Also all the advise I give here will only work if you legalize your stay in the US. I really do not care how you got into US and I am not going to ask you but please legalize your stay. Do not come here with a plan to be running from pillar to post or running underground, 20 years will pass you by and you would have achieved nothing. These are the people that make immigration antagonists say that Nigerians are nonetities in America. If you do not have a solid plan don't come or else you will come and waste your time and go back to Nigeria worse than you came.
And for those of us here, Nigeria will always be your home - it is when we forget where we come from - that's what makes people say we live in huts. Let's invest back home so that we can go home at old age rather than dying in a nursing home in America.

Compliments of the Season to you all.

9 Likes

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by olufeego(m): 1:36pm On Dec 26, 2017
[quote author=mright05 post=63201444][/quote]

Apply for a b1b2 visa n don't let any agent scam u.there ain't no short cuts to getting the u.s visa....u can ask me any questions, I'm right here in Illinois
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by olufeego(m): 1:40pm On Dec 26, 2017
Wya in chicago.....im on 79th streetand south shore

[qauote author=Goldenboy007 post=63566493]Merry Christmas folks.

Modified - Hey guys I apologize if I have not replied your messages - I get so many inbox messages and I am so busy. Also please if your issues are not so personal please share it here, we will all learn together. And to those that wants help - you can't imagine how many requests I get - I love to help but my resources are limited. May God help us all. You are all important and I don't look down on anybody - Its today we know, nobody knows tomorrow. [/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 3:55pm On Dec 26, 2017
olufeego:
Wya in chicago.....im on

I am in Des Plaines.
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by rinzaugustine: 8:37am On Dec 27, 2017
chidekings:

No matter how impressive you sound...
U sound like an intending scammer, who asked you to describe yourself here.
Please get out from this thread cos you don't know anything about the op and you are blabbing rubbish .He is my friend here and the level he is now may take you 20 years to reach
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by chidekings(m): 9:24am On Dec 27, 2017
rinzaugustine:
Please get out from this thread cos you don't know anything about the op and you are blabbing rubbish .He is my friend here and the level he is now may take you 20 years to reach

Young man,I made a valid observation.and you don't know the level I am
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by rinzaugustine: 9:37am On Dec 27, 2017
chidekings:

Young man,I made a valid observation.and you don't know the level I am
I am not a young man.I may actually be older than you in real life,seriously
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 12:20pm On Jan 24, 2018
The hybrid Immigrant

Hi everyone - it's been a busy January for me, all the new year resolution and plans, well I always try to update this topic whenever I discover something new.

The hybrid Immigrant - One of the mistakes immigrants make is trying to become an American in lifestyle. The beginning of our problem is when we forget where we are coming from. You are not an American, you are a Nigerian living in US. You cannot compare yourself to someone that was born in America and have been working since the age of 16, you came in late and have to start all over again. Americans have their lives planned - they start early with their retirement plans, they plan when to get married, number of kids to have, when to buy a car, when to buy a house, when to go on vacation and when to retire. You started your life in Nigeria - your time was wasted by a system they have not worked till today - you move into US with nothing and within 4 years - you want to buy a house, buy a car, have a robust 401k(retirement plan), create college funds for your kids and go on vacation. All you will succeed in doing is running into debt.
The truth is - Its fairly easy to save money in Nigeria but country like US controls your disposable income. You can become a billionaire overnight in Nigeria but in America you need to painstakingly work to build wealth over the years. You are paid an amount that is just enough for your daily living, taxes make sure of that.
Let's consider this scenerio - if you work in a good company in Nigeria and you earn N800k per month after tax, your rent probably like N1.5m per year. 2 months salary will cover your rent for the year, all other expenses per month is like N200k. After taking care of the rent in 2 months - rest of the year you have N600k to play around with. In US you earn like $5k per month - your rent is like $1600 for a 2 bed in a good neighborhood, you pay insurance , you pay utilities - gas, water, heat, electricity, cable, phone bill, you pay car loan, you pay student loan, you pay credit card debts - God help you have kids - groceries, clothing, health bills - copay, at the end of the month - you hardly have $500 left. What of retirement ? You need to have worked for average 35 years for your 401k to be enough to cater for your retirement in US - that's why you see people work till their grey years before they can retire. So imagine you got into US at age 30 - at 65 you are still working.
People may argue that a good job in US will change the story - I am surrounded by people with great IT jobs, with managers in company with 6 figures ...the story is the same - the more you earn the more your expenses.

What I advise people is to take advantage of both worlds, don't spend America's money in America , invest it back home where little dollars make more Naira. Build your retirement back home. If you buy a house in America - the house is never your own - even if you fully pay off the mortgage , you will pay tax for the rest of your life - mortgage tax can be like rent for life, you never truly own that house. The day you default in your taxes - over time your house would be taken, in Nigeria when you build your house - you own the land , the house and the sky above it.
Live like an hybrid Immigrant - work in US but take advantage of your connection to Nigeria - bring business in - see what they don't have in US, bring over - see what they don't have in Nigeria and bring in - trade. Make every dollar counts. We cannot run away forever - racism will never stop till the world ends - let build our country so that we can come home to retire rather than die in old people's home in a foreign country.

That's my little advice today - you can contribute, criticize and commend but do not insult people on this thread. We are all learning.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Alakwa: 2:47pm On Jan 24, 2018
Hi Golden boy I have followed your thread all this while, I really love your advice and encouragement to the folks back home, most of all advising them to do things legally. What are the chances of some one coming to the US with a visit visa and intending to change that to a resident visa. Is that possible using an immigration Lawyer ?
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 1:19pm On Jan 27, 2018
Alakwa:
Hi Golden boy I have followed your thread all this while, I really love your advice and encouragement to the folks back home, most of all advising them to do things legally. What are the chances of some one coming to the US with a visit visa and intending to change that to a resident visa. Is that possible using an immigration Lawyer ?

Thanks for mentioning the word "legal". I have seen people come on visiting ...they talk to schools and get admission on the spot. The school then handles the paperwork , lawyers also help. However these days, please do your research well because so many immigration laws are changing under this government.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

What Will You Do if you find your international passport like this? (photo) / Inside A Private Boeing 767 Chartered By Saudi Ambassador That Costs N10.8m/hr / Hilarious Photo All The Way From The City Of Warri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.