Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,309 members, 7,822,535 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants - Career (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants (169026 Views)

Thread for Petroleum Engineers, Both Fresh Graduates And Experienced / Geologists And Mining Engrs: Let's Talk Here / Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (65) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by telexfree1: 1:29pm On Nov 15, 2013
Good pple.
I need some advice here.
I studied applied geophysics and graduated with 2.1. But the first job that came my way was a banking job.
And five years has gone by in a flash. Now am completely in need of a career change.
Is it too late to go back to oil industry ?
What can I do ?
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 1:36pm On Nov 15, 2013
telexfree1: Good pple.
I need some advice here.
I studied applied geophysics and graduated with 2.1. But the first job that came my way was a banking job.
And five years has gone by in a flash. Now am completely in need of a career change.
Is it too late to go back to oil industry ?
What can I do ?
not too late,you can go back with 2.1 you are hot cake just go for MSC abroad or uni port,and coupled with certificate course you will smile....cheers
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by psychu: 1:47pm On Nov 15, 2013
imag5: you can always apply for data from any oil companies...but it take time you first get a letter from your hod in school and send it to any exploration department stating the the type of data you want on your project,if you are a member. Of nape it is easy you use your chapter coordinator to get your data cheers
thanks
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by telexfree1: 2:13pm On Nov 15, 2013
imag5: not too late,you can go back with 2.1 you are hot cake just go for MSC abroad or uni port,and coupled with certificate course you will smile....cheers

Thanks. What about unilag ?
Cos I live in Lag. Though I noticed that unilag does not offer petroleum engineering. I prefer an M.Eng to Msc
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by donfemox(m): 2:28pm On Nov 15, 2013
Nice thread. I'm a fresher studying geology and pls I heard that geology is so tough and besides is it true that nobody has come out with a first class in geology?
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 3:34pm On Nov 15, 2013
Nyc thread, am a geologist, a graduate of A.B.U zaria. Am also t ma msc online in hydrographic survey with many profesional qualification like HSE, level 1 to 3, PMI, EIA, NIM, OSHA, nd NEBOSH. Am just preparing myself for the hit. Am curently working as a dredge master and safety officer with a construction company. Am advising all of you to prepare yourself, never get tired of reading and getting the certs, it will come like a flash. Keep it up. Am Melvin Daniel, (07069471585). danielchioboy@gmail.com
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by bengems(m): 3:55pm On Nov 15, 2013
pls guys...i need a career in oil and gas sector, but im a fresh graduate of civil engineer with 2:2.
my question is how do i start? though i have done HSE level 1,2 and 3

i have heard u guys discussing on fluid/mud engineering...is it also advisable for some like me?

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by sogah: 4:13pm On Nov 15, 2013
Guys,
Just make ur first class or 2:1 in relevant engineering courses(Petr, Elect,civil, mech e.t.c
Msc may not be necessary in Engrng.

But Masters degree is required for geology

Practise the relevant Aptitude test well!

Multinational companies(Chevron, Mobil, Total) will run after u!

It worked for me

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 15, 2013
sogah: Guys,
Just make ur first class or 2:1 in relevant engineering courses(Petr, Elect,civil, mech e.t.c
Msc may not be necessary in Engrng.

But Masters degree is required for geology

Practise the relevant Aptitude test well!

Multinational companies(Chevron, Mobil, Total) will run after u!

It worked for me
if i study geology and do my masters in petroleum engineer. Will i be lucrative than someone that only did pet engineer 'cos i studied all the minerals in my 1st degree
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by DonCarlos1(m): 4:55pm On Nov 15, 2013
I visited my alma mater recently and was so impressed to see the oil companies are stepping up the game in bringing the geology community to speed with state-of-th-art technology. I saw the petrel workstations donated by exxonmobil to the school. I will advice geoscience undergrads and post-grads to take this advantage. A good working knowledge of petrel can put you at par with your foreign-certificated colleagues. Be wise and all the best.

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Henshaweezy(m): 5:03pm On Nov 15, 2013
Goodday all just got admsn to study geophysics in unical. Never knew its a 5yr course. Ill need all the help i can get. Anyone inbox me @ ewadaking@gmail.com. Tnx
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by gbengarock: 5:07pm On Nov 15, 2013
i have a degree in geology and presently works as a foundation engineer though i made a lower credit. Do i stand a chance of workin in d oil industry wit a lil xperience someday??
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Aniwetaluude(m): 5:14pm On Nov 15, 2013
it a nice one dear. I'm a geologist who measure in geophysics (msc) currently doing PhD in geophysics in one the federal universities in the south. I have loads of softwares that am using for my work. such as Hamssel Russel HRS. Eclipse simulator, opendetech, and pettrel. I need Rokdoc. please am ready to give you any of these ones I have, if any one can help me with that. my email is emmymega4@gmail.com. if you want to be trained on the use of HRS, I will do that for you for free but is only for students( masters or PhD) let take geophysics to the highest level.

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Ezegozie(m): 5:52pm On Nov 15, 2013
@ imag5, insort you are like an image sent by God to reflect on nairaland.
God will surely reward you for all the advice you render to my fellow Nigerians.
i have copied out your number, email and skype name, because men of your kind is rare to see nowadays.

back to the topic I will enter final year in the department of geological science @ Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka, as soon as the strike is called off.

i learnt so much from this thread and i hope that God will grant me my heart desire which is graduating with 2.1 from unizik
next year, then i will apply the knowledge which i learnt in this God sent thread.
which is

1 DOING MY MSC IN A REPUTABLE UNIVERSITY
2 IMPROVING MY MYSELF WITH CERTIFICATE COURSES

May God bless everybody that contributed in this thread.

expect my call, email or watsap message soon, may God Bless you once more
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Ezegozie(m): 5:53pm On Nov 15, 2013
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by addictiv(m): 6:05pm On Nov 15, 2013
My Oga's @ the top, do I need a hse 1.2.3. Before going for nebosh or can I leave them out and go for nebosh straight away. What are the pros and cons? Thanks.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 6:09pm On Nov 15, 2013
Ezegozie: @ imag5, insort you are like an image sent by God to reflect on nairaland.
God will surely reward you for all the advice you render to my fellow Nigerians.
i have copied out your number, email and skype name, because men of your kind is rare to see nowadays.

back to the topic I will enter final year in the department of geological science @ Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka, as soon as the strike is called off.

i learnt so much from this thread and i hope that God will grant me my heart desire which is graduating with 2.1 from unizik
next year, then i will apply the knowledge which i learnt in this God sent thread.
which is

you can do both Msc is a sure thing like mobil only recruit geologist with MSC and with certificate you will smile
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 6:09pm On Nov 15, 2013
Ezegozie: @ imag5, insort you are like an image sent by God to reflect on nairaland.

which is

you can do both Msc is a sure thing like mobil only recruit geologist with MSC and with certificate you will smile
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 15, 2013
Question for everyone....... The first Well you Drilled is called.....................Get this answer and win a price
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by seedgie(m): 6:44pm On Nov 15, 2013
imag5: Question for everyone....... The first Well you Drilled is called.....................Get this answer and win a price
wildcat..... Nice forum
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by up2u: 6:56pm On Nov 15, 2013
Hello young professionals. I love this thread. My name is Inaya Bsc physics (delsu) + Msc Petroleum Geophysicis (Imperial College London). Currently working as a Geo-Lab Tech for a Soil Engineering Coy in Delta but cant wait to fall back to exploration cum geophysical research proper. For the young ones here, I could help with materials on petroleum geophysics on request and may be aid your understanding on geophysical topics you may consider too heavy. Hey @Imag5, sent you a private email. I am willing to join you on your research asap.

Inaya
eddie2jerry@gmail.com
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by seedgie(m): 7:08pm On Nov 15, 2013
@image whats my price for the answer. Pls i like to have your email add and phone number. Thanks
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by seunshrek(m): 7:09pm On Nov 15, 2013
up2u: Hello young professionals. I love this thread. My name is Inaya Bsc physics (delsu) + Msc Petroleum Geophysicis (Imperial College London). Currently working as a Geo-Lab Tech for a Soil Engineering Coy in Delta but cant wait to fall back to exploration cum geophysical research proper. For the young ones here, I could help with materials on petroleum geophysics on request and may be aid your understanding on geophysical topics you may consider too heavy. Hey @Imag5, sent you a private email. I am willing to join you on your research asap.

Inaya
eddie2jerry@gmail.com

Hello Sir! My name is Seun Adebajo...Bsc Geology (oou). I will appreciate it if you could help with any petroleum geophysics material
sadebajo02@gmail.com
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by abbyphilips(f): 7:23pm On Nov 15, 2013
imag5: Question for everyone....... The first Well you Drilled is called.....................Get this answer and win a price
its called an exploratory well. When u don't find. Anythg in it.its called a dry well.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by ReservoirEngr: 7:36pm On Nov 15, 2013
Loving this thread... Well done Mr. Imag5. Keep the flag flying. I am iyke, B.eng pet and Gas Engrg and M.Eng Reservoir Engrg from Uniport. Hopefully we will all achieve greatness by trying to impact the life of people as much as we can. Stay blessed and stay connected...
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by sogah: 7:38pm On Nov 15, 2013
@...tony, Ur first degrEe is usually the most import. If it is Engineering, I will advise u to stick to it. Crossing from Geology to Petroleum is a common mistake people make.
However, it is possible to do this if u wish to lecture in a University
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by addictiv(m): 8:06pm On Nov 15, 2013
addictiv: My Oga's @ the top, do I need a hse 1.2.3. Before going for nebosh or can I leave them out and go for nebosh straight away. What are the pros and cons? Thanks.
Response pls
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Edcene2010(m): 8:10pm On Nov 15, 2013
imag5: Happy sunday my geoscientist and petroleum engineers in the house......the bible says weeping may endure throught out the night but joy comes in the morning....my guys out there dont give up unto you win......umf

I m a graduate of geology wt 5yrs prctical xprience on mining, geophysical survey, etc
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 15, 2013
addictiv:
Response pls
yes you have to do it cause they are the basic
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Ezegozie(m): 8:32pm On Nov 15, 2013
imag5: yes you have to do it cause they are the basic

pls this certificate courses are so confusing, for the sake of some of us who have not yet graduated.
can you please tell us the certificate that is highly relevant for employment into the oil and gas company.
some people are mentioning many things here.
some mention petrel,
some mention kingdom

some mention nebosh,
some mention hse 1,2 and 3.
some mention nisp,
while some mention mit.

among all these things, which one is adviseable to learn?
or will they teach me all these things during MSc in Petroleum geoscience in Uniport?
and secondarily, is it good to embark on these certificate acquisition after bsc or after Msc, for somebody that want to do Msc
please i need your response!
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by seunshrek(m): 8:51pm On Nov 15, 2013
labongua: It's good to have this forum of geoscientists here. OP, you did a good thing. Having gone through 99% of posts, i observe that most of the focus is on the oil/gas industry (seismics, Petrophysics etc) but with little on near surface opportunities (Near surface seismics, geotechnical services, pollution investigation etc). I would suggest that while searching for the bug pay, if you have the opportunity of landing a job or internship with indigenous companies that are into near surface geology/geophysics, grab it. Your experience will start counting from there.

I am a postgrad student of geophysics herein Naija but my 1st degree is in physics. I have coursemates who are into geotechnical services and are doing VERY WELL. Talking of petrel, well, i have 2009 and am willing to give anybody free of charge. It's 4 yrs old but you can still do your learning on it. If you can also download the free version of OpendTect, good for you.

I am based in Lagos.

Hello sir, I need to start learning how to operate the petrel software....i already have basic knowledge about openDtect. Can you kindly forward the petrel 09 to me please? sadebajo02@gmail.com. Thanks

Are you attending the upcoming NAPE ICE? It could be another opportunity for you to network with industry people

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by REZOLUTE: 8:55pm On Nov 15, 2013
Nyc tred,I graduated 4rm futminna wit 2.2 so pls wat skill or oda curs can I go for dat wil make me get a betr job at d end of d day...tanks tho

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (65) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Recruitment List Out! / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons / Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.