Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,443 members, 7,812,330 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:49 AM

Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants - Career (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants (168613 Views)

Thread for Petroleum Engineers, Both Fresh Graduates And Experienced / Geologists And Mining Engrs: Let's Talk Here / Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (65) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by profeoo(m): 8:20pm On Nov 17, 2013
ideology:
oh my God, will they employ you after the training, I know their curriculum is broad Sha, but the money no be here.
. A graduate of Ips hardly looks 4 job,u get employed right away except u no pass
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 8:41pm On Nov 17, 2013
Guys,what do you think about online degrees?
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by stunningjudy(f): 8:57pm On Nov 17, 2013
@ezegozie, IPS is expensive I v a friend dt finished dia n he jus got recruited into NNPC as a permanent staff. truly IPS guys wt sound cgpa dont hunt for jobs, jobs hunt fot dem.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by nameee: 10:19pm On Nov 17, 2013
imag5: you are very lucky to be in Canada at this moment just try and stay there for some while....There is a Schools there called Maritime Drilling school in Nova Scotia...it about 3000usd try and run a course with them you get a job immediately you finish... It called Pre employment roughneck..you have the opportunity to work as an international staff with companies like new park drillings,trans oceans,and many more.......and you enjoy your dollars....billionaire, contact me thou need guidance.....Canada is a good place don't come home for now......imag
Thanks your reply, i'll look up the school. lol billionaire..there are lots of opportunities but na tax den go use collect half of the money. Is NYSC necessary if I want to move back home?
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 17, 2013
Gooday house...hope you guys are winning.... Topic of. The week...the importance of PIB law and the Benefit to Nigerians,oil and gas professional....all information and contributions are welcome..your host..imag
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 17, 2013
PIB stands for Petroleum Industry Bill..do your homework and post contributions and question
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by olusogo1(m): 11:18pm On Nov 17, 2013
Ezegozie:
U are welcome, do you know about center of petroleum geoscience in IPS,,,,,,,uniport?
Yes I do....money is d challenge n its not easy getting through with d scholarships too but will keep on trying. thanks
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by nasonaso: 12:20am On Nov 18, 2013
labongua: It's good to have this forum of geoscientists here. OP, you did a good thing. Having gone through 99% of posts, i observe that most of the focus is on the oil/gas industry (seismics, Petrophysics etc) but with little on near surface opportunities (Near surface seismics, geotechnical services, pollution investigation etc). I would suggest that while searching for the bug pay, if you have the opportunity of landing a job or internship with indigenous companies that are into near surface geology/geophysics, grab it. Your experience will start counting from there.

I am a postgrad student of geophysics herein Naija but my 1st degree is in physics. I have coursemates who are into geotechnical services and are doing VERY WELL. Talking of petrel, well, i have 2009 and am willing to give anybody free of charge. It's 4 yrs old but you can still do your learning on it. If you can also download the free version of OpendTect, good for you.

I am based in Lagos.

Are you attending the upcoming NAPE ICE? It could be another opportunity for you to network with industry people

[/color] [color=#000099] HELLO BRO DO APRRECIATE UR PRETREL osaral1@yahoo.com

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Ezegozie(m): 12:39am On Nov 18, 2013
hmmmm na waoooo.
2.3million for Msc in Nigeria

it is like i will start aiming at doing ordinary Msc in Petroleum geology Uniport or Unibadan

You guys talk of scholarships, i am 100% sure that the scholarship is for those with mega GP like 1st class and higher 4pointer which is very difficult to get here in unizik dept of geology where we have so many strict and sadists lecturers who even check spellings before giving you a pass.

i am just begging God for 2nd class upper, then i will embark on Msc immediately after my NYSC and start on time to enrich my CV with relevant certifications, thanx all for your wonderful advice
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by opella(f): 6:10am On Nov 18, 2013
@Ezegozie, I like your inspiration, but I want to make some corrections about Unizik lecturers being sadist, am also a geology student of Unizik, in Unizik, if you write well you score well, no two ways about it. I wish you all the best with your dreams.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Ezegozie(m): 7:39am On Nov 18, 2013
opella: @Ezegozie, I like your inspiration, but I want to make some corrections about Unizik lecturers being sadist, am also a geology student of Unizik, in Unizik, if you write well you score well, no two ways about it. I wish you all the best with your dreams.

The fact that you are a unizik geology student does not obliterate the fact that we have very strict and sadist lecturers.

Ofcus if you write well, you score well, but how well is the well?

how many times have they graduated 1st class?

Last year and last two year, how many people graduated with 2.1, not even upto ten students, go and verify .

Is it not sadism, when some lecturers will come to class and when students are many, they start complaining and blaiming the dept for admitting more than 30 students.
But anytime we are small in class, he will lock door and give quiz? About 10marks even when the time of lecture was disrupted.

Is it not sadism when a lecturer is looking for ways to fail student by mandating everybody to be comming to class with office files containing his assignments upon assignments which constitute 20marks, and he will collect the file anytime he desires, even when the lecture hall is nearly empty.

Is it not sadism when somebody will enter exam hall, and when you are writing exam, he will substract 20marks from ur script simply because you are not covering your answer script well from girrafers

let me stop here for now

Its not that i hate my lecturers, some of them like Prof Onwuemesi, Dr Lizzy, Dr onuigbo, Dr victor maduewesi, etc are also very good and considerate.
Are they here now, but i am talking good of them.

I am not also saying these because i am not academically serious or that my GP is too low, i have never failed a course ever since i got admision in Unizik, but it does not change the fact that we have come strict and sadist lecturers, believe it or not .

My prayer is for God to guide , protect and help me towards getting 2.1 because it is not easy at all in unizik.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by opella(f): 8:00am On Nov 18, 2013
Ezegozie:

The fact that you are a unizik geology student does not obliterate the fact that we have very strict and sadist lecturers.

Last year and last two year, how many people graduated with 2.1, not even upto ten students, go and verify .

Is it not sadism, when some lecturers will come to class and when students are many, they start complaining and blaiming the dept for admitting more than 30 students.
But anytime we are small in class, he will lock door and give quiz? About 10marks even when the time of lecture was disrupted.

Is it not sadism when a lecturer is looking for ways to fail student by mandating everybody to be comming to class with office files containing his assignments upon assignments which constitute 20marks, and he will collect the file anytime he desires, even when the lecture hall is nearly empty.

Is it not sadism when somebody will enter exam hall, and when you are writing exam, he will substract 20marks from ur script simply because you are not covering your answer script well from girrafers

let me stop here for now

Its not that i hate my lecturers, some of them like Prof Onwuemesi, Dr Lizzy, Dr onuigbo, Dr victor maduewesi, etc are also very good and considerate.

I am not also saying these because i am not academically serious or that my GP is too low, i have never failed a course ever since i got admision in Unizik, but it does not change the fact that we have come strict and sadist lecturers, believe it or not .

My prayer is for God to guide , protect and help me towards getting 2.1 because it is not easy at all in unizik.

So sad, but to be honest with you, this is the first time am hearing this. This is a public forum anyways, so no need to start mentioning names and washing our dirty linens here. About student graduating with first class and 2.1, I think it depends on the students and not the lecturers. Watch this graduating set, I think you might have a rethink.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Ezegozie(m): 8:20am On Nov 18, 2013
opella:

So sad, but to be honest with you, this is the first time am hearing this. This is a public forum anyways, so no need to start mentioning names and washing our dirty linens here. About student graduating with first class and 2.1, I think it depends on the students and not the lecturers. Watch this graduating set, I think you might have a rethink.

yea, this graduating set is encouraging. Though their academic prowess is heterogenously distributed

I know it is a public forumn, that is why i mentioned only the names of lecturers that are exceptionally good......did i call any lecturer's name badly.....i only talked the truth of what some of them do, but i was careful enof not to mention their names negatively.

And for your last statement, graduating with first class and second class upper depends also on the lecturers
who will grade you?
Who will mark your script?
If you meet a good lecturer, you will excel in your IT defence and project even without excellent performance which is the backbone of GP and you will authoritatively be sure of a very nice result.

Then for what you said that it is your first time of hearing this.

abeg are you just recently admitted? Or are you entering year2?
Because i am so surprise you are hearing this for the first time, i am sure that somebody in final year or even year3 will not hear this for the first time
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by opella(f): 8:49am On Nov 18, 2013
Ezegozie:

yea, this graduating set is encouraging. Though their academic prowess is heterogenously distributed

I know it is a public forumn, that is why i mentioned only the names of lecturers that are exceptionally good......did i call any lecturer's name badly.....i only talked the truth of what some of them do, but i was careful enof not to mention their names negatively.

And for your last statement, graduating with first class and second class upper depends also on the lecturers
who will grade you?
Who will mark your script?
If you meet a good lecturer, you will excel in your IT defence and project even without excellent performance which is the backbone of GP and you will authoritatively be sure of a very nice result.

Then for what you said that it is your first time of hearing this.

abeg are you just recently admitted? Or are you entering year2?
Because i am so surprise you are hearing this for the first time, i am sure that somebody in final year or even year3 will not hear this for the first time

I'm among the graduating set, hoping to graduate with a very good result. I chose not to see or accept any negative talk about our lecturers and I must say, it helped me in my 4 yrs in that dept. I fully know the lecturers you might be seeing as sadist, I bet you if you get to know their rules and abide by them, you will excel.

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 18, 2013
Good mrng house. Pls permit me to ask this question.

I had this friend of mine who went into welding training after his secondary school. As much as i know him, he has never been into university but i recently heard he's now a staff with an oil exploration company as a welder. Pls is it possible for someone who's not a graduate to get such a job in such a reputable multi-national oil firm? Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 18, 2013
RedBenson: Good mrng house. Pls permit me to ask this question.

I had this friend of mine who went into welding training after his secondary school. As much as i know him, he has never been into university but i recently heard he's now a staff with an oil exploration company as a welder. Pls is it possible for someone who's not a graduate to get such a job in such a reputable multi-national oil firm? Thanks!
very possible,that's why I keep mentioning skills skills and skills...just know the area you wanna penetrate and go for the revelant skill....

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 9:16am On Nov 18, 2013
RedBenson: Good mrng house. Pls permit me to ask this question.

you can learn Diving and work offshore with oil coy...so many to chose from
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 18, 2013
imag5: very possible,that's why I keep mentioning skills skills and skills...just know the area you wanna penetrate and go for the
revelant skill....

imag5: you can learn Diving and work offshore with oil coy...so many to chose from

Thank you sir cos i just learnt am on the right track while being an undergraduate. More questions to come pls. Thanks and God bless!
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by slimbruced(m): 11:40am On Nov 18, 2013
opella:

He is kinda right. I graduated from that department so i could relate to almost everything he said.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Ezegozie(m): 12:36pm On Nov 18, 2013
slimbruced:

He is kinda right. I graduated from that department so i could relate to almost everything he said.

thank God, atleast you understand what i mean,,,,,,Geology is very tough in Unizik and before you get 2.1, you need the special grace of God and amazing IQ
i won't talk of 1st class, that one takes a genuis to get, and for a long time now, no one has got it, apart from this yr's graduating set, which i strongly believe that Okoli Nnaemeka (a.k.a The PROF) will break the record because he is not a humanbeing academically
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by seunshrek(m): 2:28pm On Nov 18, 2013
I need help please....I don't understand the term "time gate"...It is often mentioned when using openDtect
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 18, 2013
Ezegozie:

pls i am talking of doing Msc in Center for petroleum geosciences
uniport.
Not IPS abeg.

but wait a minute, even if na IPS self, how on earth will somebody
bring out 2.3million just like that. If i have such money,
i will simply bring about 200k for my Msc in University of Ibadan or
uniport.
After the Msc, i will use about 400k for my mud certificate acquisition
and use about 300k for my Nebosh. Total money spent will be around 800k.
Then i will invest 1.5million on haulage business right on time so dat
after this programs, i will be sure of stable source of income before
employment

i dare not spend such huge amount of money (2.3million)for Mere Msc
acquisition in Nigeria university

O boy i swear, u funny die. I culdnt stop laughing. grin N2.3m as if u want to buy d entire uniport. grin
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 18, 2013
imag5: you can learn Diving and work offshore with oil coy...so many to chose from

@imag5, this means even a marine biologist with relevant skills can also work in offshore? Thanks for reply!
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by ideology(m): 6:32pm On Nov 18, 2013
education is not cheap o o, at ips you will study for bsome months in Nigeria, some in France, will be put thru French class, internship in total with good pay, then job de sure when you are thru. shell centre of excellence in university of Benin., edo state is cheaper. 1.5million. but your training is only in Nigeria, with internship at spdc with good pay too. by the time you are thru, you will know that it worths it or what you gained was more than the money. we are talking about being taught in standard learning environment with upto date facilities remember this is why ASUU is on strike.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by addictiv(m): 11:30pm On Nov 18, 2013
Some folks who travel outside for masters spend much more than 2.3m yet, Ips graduates cant be compared with them. The knowledge gained there is superb.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Iaz93: 9:20am On Nov 19, 2013
Please, what's the admission process for IPS, Uniport?
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Ezegozie(m): 10:44am On Nov 19, 2013
Iaz93: Please, what's the admission process for IPS, Uniport?

making 2.1 (mostly but not always above 4.0)

buy the Msc form (around 20,000)

write the aptitute test and pass.
Come for ora interview and pass.
spending the controversial #2,300,000.00 which i still find very hard to believe even if na the whole uniport i wan buy, like my friend REDBENSON said
i also heard dat you can apply for scholarships (though for those with Almighty Bsc GP probably 1st class)

that is what i am told, though i will still verify during my NYSC period, because i have been having nightmares ever since i heard 2.3 million naira inshort telling my dad about the amount is an easy way to make him laugh so loud, i may use that amount to make him laugh this December.

Gozie=Dad Happy xtmas
DAD=wish you the same my son
Gozie=Dad, i want to do my Msc in Uniport
DAD=alrite, that's very good..i heard it is a very school
Gozie=But Dad, there is a problem, the school fees is...
DAD=I told you that school fees is not the problem, i can single handedly train you even to Ph.D,, so tell me the amount.
Gozie=The school fees is 2.3million
DAD=What!!,hahahahahahahah
Gozie=why laughing Dad.
DAD=No, my Doctor told me to always laugh especially when talking with somebody that is not serious

4 Likes

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by chibzu: 10:57am On Nov 19, 2013
Hello,pls i need good answers to this question. I am an undergraduate in one of the Nigerian Universities studying pet. eng. i really want to have additional qualifications apart from the normal school course. My question is, is it right to have additional while in school or after school? and which one would be relevant to my field that i should take seriously?
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by profeoo(m): 11:12am On Nov 19, 2013
Ezegozie:

let me stop here for now

. My brother,such is not unique. To unizik alone. Uniport last graduated a first class way back in 1986,bt that does nt mean there has nt been a first class material since then. Notwithstanding,when u re gud, u dont nid to be covered with a first class garment,all u nid is a sound 2.1,yr brain nd most importantly God. We can always take some positives from those "sadist lecturers",as they help to shape u 4 a world where people hardly appreciates hard-work. It pays to kw what u're doing

2 Likes

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by profeoo(m): 11:16am On Nov 19, 2013
Ezegozie:

spending the controversial #2,300,000.00 which i still find very hard to believe even if na the whole uniport i wan buy, like my friend REDBENSON said
i also heard dat you can apply for scholarships (though for those with Almighty Bsc GP probably 1st class)

that is what i am told, though i will still verify during my NYSC period, because i have been having nightmares ever since i heard 2.3 million naira inshort telling my dad about the amount is an easy way to make him laugh so loud, i may use that amount to make him laugh this December.

Gozie=Dad Happy xtmas
DAD=I told you that school fees is not the problem, i can single handedly train you even to Ph.D,, so tell me the amount.
Gozie=why laughing Dad.
DAD=No, my Doctor told me to always laugh especially when talking with somebody that is not serious

. . <=D н̍̊̍̊α̇̇̇α̍̍̊..н̍̊̍̊α̇̇̇α̍̍̊..н̍̊̍̊α̇̇̇α̍̍̊
> нααα..​нααα..нαα
^ ^ ‎ н̲̣̣̣α̣̣̣̣α̣̣̣..н̲̣̣̣α̣̣̣̣α̣̣̣..н̲̣̣̣α̣̣̣̣α̣̣̣. Wen dd u become a comedian??
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 11:26am On Nov 19, 2013
Ezegozie:

Gozie=Dad Happy xtmas
Gozie=why laughing Dad.

I can not help but laugh....infact am laughing in Chinese...It is well my brother

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (65) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Recruitment List Out! / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons / Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.