Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,996 members, 7,835,337 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches (30214 Views)

.:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. / Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing / List Of People I Saw Going to Hell: Footballers & Fans, Musicians, Non-Tithers.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 9:17pm On Oct 14, 2013
Alwaystrue:

Thanks...Some pastors work in the ministry full time. Infact that was the expectation of Jesus Christ for the disciples and even Paul said he had a right not to work.

Paul decided to work so no man will make his glorying void. He decided to let go of the right of I Cor. 9:13-14. It was becaus of the same way we have people throwing a fit now untop of a tenth that He penned the below, people were actually examining him:

I Corinthians 9:3-4,6,15
3 Mine answer to them that do EXAMINE ME is this,
4 Have we not power to eat and to drink?
6 Or I only and Barnabas, HAVE NOT WE POWER to forbear working?
15 But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void.

What is going on on NL is just history repeating itself. Just take time to study and you will understand that this is not new. Paul experience alot.

The Jerusalem believers who already had the heart of giving sold their property and all and brought it to the feet of the disciples for sharing to everyone, even though some people still grumbled that they still did not get (Acts 6:1). They were giving their 100% and put in a place for all to take, If some were asked to try it here, they we quote scriptures that he that does not work should not eat. It is just so funny.

If giving a tenth to the ministers can be such a challenge and can cause this level of quibbling, we then know the hearts of man. It is so easy to know a person with regards to how he acts when money matters are discussed.

It is one thing not to tithe and another to say tithe is abolished. It is either you believe it is right or you believe it is abolished.
It is just amusing seeing people swing to what favours them.....one minute believe tithe and another call it sin, abolished etc. That is the hypocrisy and unstability of it. They are double-minded.
Our giving is beyond a tenth because there are so many people to give to as listed above there.

The true givers will give to all or pray for grace to give to all with joy and happiness.

That means the real gospel we should be preaching is that of giving and not tithing, since tithing, according to you is a very small part of giving. But personally, i would rather give to the poor directly, out of my own free will, with a cheerful heart, because i see many of them around me; than to give to a pastor to help me and share to the poor.

5 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by mbulela: 9:24pm On Oct 14, 2013
Bidam:

As for ALL who don't go to church anymore because of tithe and other doctrines, who spend hours lazying on the internet thinking this is Church, you need to understand that biblical separation is one thing, but refusing to participate in any local assembly because you alone understand true godliness can be an indication of spiritual pride, self-deception, and a recipe for trouble.

May the Lord guide US as WE seek to attain Biblical balance and remain true to Him. Amen!!

There is a profound truth in this.
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Candour(m): 9:27pm On Oct 14, 2013
Alwaystrue:

Thanks...Some pastors work in the ministry full time. Infact that was the expectation of Jesus Christ for the disciples and even Paul said he had a right not to work.

Paul decided to work so no man will make his glorying void. He decided to let go of the right of I Cor. 9:13-14. It was becaus of the same way we have people throwing a fit now untop of a tenth that He penned the below, people were actually examining him:

I Corinthians 9:3-4,6,15
15 But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void.

What is going on on NL is just history repeating itself. Just take time to study and you will understand that this is not new. Paul experience alot.

outright LIES. Get a binoculars if possible and search through that verse again, you'll NEVER FIND TITHES there. Those who insist on squeezing tithes in there are dishonest because they make Paul look like somebody suffering from selective amnesia. Why on earth would he forget to mention tithes even if just once?

Paul experienced opposition from people who would want to bring in Mosaic laws cunningly for their pecuniary gains.

The Jerusalem believers who already had the heart of giving sold their property and all and brought it to the feet of the disciples for sharing to everyone, even though some people still grumbled that they still did not get (Acts 6:1). They were giving their 100% and put in a place for all to take, If some were asked to try it here, they we quote scriptures that he that does not work should not eat. It is just so funny.

They gave 100% and every single person among them had their supplies met. Can any body honestly say the same for their churches today? If there is honesty in Christianity today, then we would have few needy people in Churches. However we find greedy overfed MOG having so much that some have more than enough to splash on articles of conspicuous consumption while competing with business moguls to the detriment of their flock.

Even at that, No mention of TITHE whatsoever can be traced to the early church.

If giving a tenth to the ministers can be such a challenge and can cause this level of quibbling, we then know the hearts of man. It is so easy to know a person with regards to how he acts when money matters are discussed.

Exactly!! a greedy and covetous person always twist tales to justify deceit. The tithe was for levites, widows, fatherless and strangers. It was NEVER meant for pastors. Is it it not evidence of greed and dishonesty for any body to try to twist the bible to deny the original beneficiaries of their dues?

It is one thing not to tithe and another to say tithe is abolished. It is either you believe it is right or you believe it is abolished.
It is just amusing seeing people swing to what favours them.....one minute believe tithe and another call it sin, abolished etc. That is the hypocrisy and unstability of it. They are double-minded.
Our giving is beyond a tenth because there are so many people to give to as listed above there.

The true givers will give to all or pray for grace to give to all with joy and happiness.

All Christians are encouraged to give very generously to worthy causes, be it in church or else where. We dont need so much to survive. If you've met your basic needs, then by all means, be a blessing to others. what shall it profit you if you accumulate all the wealth and die? of what use is it? but this exactly what tithe collectors do. They negate the purpose of giving.

Tithe has been abolished. What obtains in the new covenant now is freewill giving. Since tithe collectors try to bring it in through the back door, we remind them what the original purpose for tithe is.

TITHE HAS BEEN TRULY ABOLISHED BY THE CROSS. IF YOU WANT TO BRING IT BACK, THEN YOU MUST ENSURE IT'S DONE ACCORDING TO HOW GOD SAID IT SHOULD BE DONE AND THE BENEFICIARIES DO NOT INCLUDE PASTORS.

4 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Alwaystrue(f): 9:28pm On Oct 14, 2013
shachris:

That means the real gospel we should be preaching is that of giving and not tithing, since tithing, according to you is a very small part of giving. But personally, i would rather give to the poor directly, out of my own free will, with a cheerful heart, because i see many of them around me; than to give to a pastor to help me and share to the poor.

I do not know what you mean by 'gospel of giving or tithing'. Yes, Jesus affirmed that their are other weighthier aspects of the law with respect to love, fairness and mercy which should be done but still we should not neglect tithing. It is as simple as ABC for me.
So it was on NL i saw the 'Anti-tithe gospel merchants' and 'ministry of fighting tithes'.

In the whole earthy ministry of Jesus which is the New Testament, Jesus spoke and commended different forms of giving....honouring parents by giving to them, giving to the poor and needy, giving offerings and tithes, giving tax to the authorities and so on so giving is in different forms.

No one says you should not give directly to the poor, I only said the early Jerusalem church gave by bringing their 100% to a place for distribution to all and sundry as a form of communal living.

Yes, keep giving cheerfully. Thanks.
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Avalani(m): 9:31pm On Oct 14, 2013
@Op
who are the representatives of God on earth?
Are you for real?
I thought the whole point of Jesus Christ coming to die for our sins was to save and bring us back to our creator. So we could have direct access to God via his Holy spirit that dwells in us. What rep do I need again when the Lamb pleads on my behalf in heaven. Representatives of God? We are all representatives of the Father as long as we carry his spirit within. Representatives of God cruising around in private jets? What nonsense

3 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by mailmalc(m): 9:34pm On Oct 14, 2013
[b]Abraham paid tithe (10%) not in accordance to any law..right? YES!..Abraham also returned the remaining 90% back..right? YES!. My point is if you reference Abraham as a base of your paying tithes to a church then please don't forget to return the other 90% to your boss or customers or wherever you are getting the income from.

You so called pro-tithers would never agree to simple facts

[size=14pt]1) The commandment of tithing was initiated for the sustainance of the Levi priests (Levites) and to FEED the poor.
2) The Levites had no inheritance and at such no other sources of income by default.
3) Monetary tithing was never mentioned even though it was made clear money was already in circulation and being used to purchase things that period.
4) Presently, there is nothing like "the priestly tribes of Levi".
5) For the reason stated in 4 above, there was a need to cancel the commandment of tithing as documented in Hebrews 7.
6) Your pastors collect Pastorial offerings, Welfare and Tithes seperately to promote their greed and selfishness. . . .
[/size]

Honestly I can go on and on and on, I will in good faith like to state that TITHING IS NOT ONLY WRONG BUT IS A SIN. It's like giving Bribes, both the giver and receiver are guilty of the same sin. These pastors remember to read MALACHI 3:10 to defend tithing like/because their lives depend on it, the same old testament KJV tells us to purchase BEER after selling your produces (tithes). I mean, I can decide to take 10% off my income, buy alcoholic drinks for my family and friends thanking God for his provision.

Do you know your tithe according to the scriptures is redeemable? this is the easiest proof you need to know MONEY is not even acceptable as tithe. The commandment of Tithe is basically the opposite of free will giving Apostle Paul and Jesus Christ kept teaching us about, it is just you giving because you have been compelled to. If you interchange FOOD, and STOREHOUSE for MONEY and CHURCH then you should be slapped back to reality.

People would want to say why don't the anti tithers focus more on other wrong doings in the church...it's SIMPLE, Tithing is the root cause of the other problems the church is experiencing. You don't expect these Men of God to preach about morality if top church members in that particular church act immorally but pay huge tithes. They can't preach about the bad leadership if the church(Men of God) is benefitting from the politicians in the church. This is common sense, you do not need anyone to tell you. Christianity and the Christian faith is being questioned everywhere in the world today especially Nigeria because of the display of our so called Men of God. Go to the 'worse of men' houses today around the country and you will see so many pastors around worshipping them because of their wealth.

It's more than just paying tithe, it's about enlightening the millions of gullible Christians in furtherance of the true gospel. Ignorance is no excuse..You own your money, your income...if you like give the pastor 80% of your income, it is not our business but please understand what you are doing and do it right. Too many fake men of God on the rise because one thing is sure for them......your tithe. Motivational speakers carry bibles around now adays, the church business is lucrative.

I am not encouraging you not to give, but please it is the heart that matters and don't pay any freaking tithe. Make a pledge to God, you can walk to a poor person and hand over the pledge, God will acknowledge it way more. Tithe is a commadment that was cancelled in the new testament, by going by it then you are acting against the reason Christ died on the cross. I'll continue to support my Pastor financially the best way I can, I'll pay offerings and welfare but will not put a dime inside that tithe envelop. They even call the tithers out to pray for them seperately hehe they pray for them to enjoy what I am already enjoying without paying tithes to the church pastor.

You can not deceive God, you are only deceiving yourselves with the help of your men of God and honestly, you are not even helping your men of God. Jesus Christ did not die for us to pay 10% before the heavens will be opened up for God to pour out his blessing upon us. The heavens are opened already, just love God and watch the blessing come down abundantly.

Bless.[/b]

11 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Goshen360(m): 9:43pm On Oct 14, 2013
Alwaystrue:

Thanks...Some pastors work in the ministry full time. [/b]Infact that was the expectation of Jesus Christ for the disciples and even Paul said he had a right not to work.

[b]I Corinthians 9:3-4,6,15

Where do you see FULL TIME ministry in the new testament? Give example of one, I mean just one Apostle that was FULL TIME?

Again, point just one man of God in this our generation that is in ministry but DON'T HAVE ANY PERSONAL BUSINESS AS SOURCE OF INCOME.

FULL TIME call or ministry is another deception in the church of God.
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by macof(m): 9:54pm On Oct 14, 2013
oludebby90: Well written,am so in support @op...everybody shud do according to hs faith n belief n nt try confusing odas.
tell that to hypocritical Christians that insult my ancestors by calling my religion, demonic and idol worship.

If anyone is to follow wat u posted, they should keep their opinions to themselves
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by ifebosco: 9:54pm On Oct 14, 2013
seeing too many people here who want to pay tith i feel very happy,i have to open my own church very fast,to byy my own private jet.gullible nigerians jajajajaja

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Candour(m): 10:01pm On Oct 14, 2013
Some things not written expressly in scripture but which can be stated without fear of contradiction based on old testament history and laws. reading through the Old testament and the gospels, we can deduce the following

1. Jesus would NEVER have received tithes when he was on earth because he was not from the tribe of Levi.

2. The apostles would NEVER have received tithes because non was a Levite or serving at the Temple.

They all knew what the law says. Remember the law was in full operation then and the Levitical priesthood was in charge. I can confidently say here that if they had tried collecting tithes from any body, the Jews would have STONED THEM TO DEATH because it would have been Sacrilege. The law expressly said Levites collect the Tithes and remit 10% of it to the priest as a heave offering(Num 18:26-28)

The question now comes, how could the early Christians have paid tithe? who would they have paid it to?

Catholic history records tithe as being resurrected at a council in Tours(567AD) and Macon(585AD) and even then, it was strictly AGRIC produce NOT MONEY. Does it mean that all the Christians who lived in that span of over 500 years all sinned and are going to hell? Does it mean that they all broke a command of God? Does it mean they all died with devourers plaguing them all through?

How then did Tithe become a cardinal point of our Christianity today?

8 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by mbulela: 10:05pm On Oct 14, 2013
Alwaystrue:

You actually think giving a tenth of your increase shows where your heart lies?
It simply shows that you are legalistic and your heart is not sold out on God.
All these tithe talk are often boring. If our hearts are freely and sold out to God, our finances will be at his disposal. We will not be arguing for percentages. Why should ministers be given a 10th? Why can't pastors practice the faith they preach and believe God for their sustenance? Using tithe as a form of insurance benefit.Besides a pastor should be on a salary as soon as the church is able to support him. Before then,he should know JIREH for himself and practice what he preaches. Besides,if he is ministering to his people spiritual food,how will they not minister carnal food to him?

5 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by mojeer678: 10:08pm On Oct 14, 2013
hardbody: Paul the apostle said with his own hands he eked out a living and provided both for himself and those around him who were in need. Your pastors fool you with all the talk about tithing and as usual play on your fears by telling you about devourer, etc etc. meanwhile the guy and his wife are living large on your sweat, driving the best cars and at times owning a jet, building schools and when opportunity calls for it, they fork your wives and daughters and tell you not to judge or not to touch God's annointed (as if you wimps are not annointed too). Infact these days they fly your daughters abroad and teach them a level of grace beyond comprehension and you guys sit down here and continue to talk about tithe this and tithe that.

I am not falling mugu to any person that believes he can harrass me into giving him my hard earned money. The Bible said we should with our own hands work out what we will eat, if pastor or Man of God is not going to work, I swear he will starve. Shi Shi, i no go give am.

Hmmmmnnnn, inelegantly put but right on point. Very profound if one ruminates deeply on the truth contained in the submission.

For those unable to access the link given above on the state of the 'church' in Nigeria and elsewhere, this is a better link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/170120460/SIGNS-of-the-TIMES-Chapter-One-Chapter-Two-and-Chapter-Three

Thanks
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by mbulela: 10:10pm On Oct 14, 2013
On the other side of the argument. All those preaching against tithe, i also hope your finances are as sold out to God as your anti-tithe sermons? I hope like Abraham you dare not withhold the Isaac of your finances? Knowing that He that gave you Isaac can and will bring him back from the death. Not enough to give left overs and be shouting. Not to tithe!!
Extremes are from the pit of hell.

2 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by christemmbassey(m): 10:14pm On Oct 14, 2013
Where is this Bidam d tithe collector, abi he is still looking for bible verse to prove dat Jesus was a pharisee, may God forgive u, just bc of oda ppl monies u have to accuse Jesus of being a hypocrite(pharisee) its a pity. D love of money is d root of all evil.

3 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by mojeer678: 10:15pm On Oct 14, 2013
mbulela:
There is a profound truth in this.

What profound truth?

You can't put the ugly mushroom cloud back into that shiny uranium sphere, apology to Asimov.

You will have better luck squeezing the toothpaste back into the tube. bidam seriously erred by stating that the Blessed Saviour and Redeemer, the Lord Yeshua the Messiah was a pharisee.

As far as I'm concerned, the same source can't produce both fresh water and stagnant water at the same time; can't bring forth guava and cocoyam.

Error and profound truth are mutually exclusive.

You need to brush up the critical thinking notebooks!

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Alwaystrue(f): 10:15pm On Oct 14, 2013
mbulela:
You actually think giving a tenth of your increase shows where your heart lies?
It simply shows that you are legalistic and your heart is not sold out on God.
All these tithe talk are often boring. If our hearts are freely and sold out to God, our finances will be at his disposal. We will not be arguing for percentages. Why should ministers be given a 10th? Why can't pastors practice the faith they preach and believe God for their sustenance? Using tithe as a form of insurance benefit.Besides a pastor should be on a salary as soon as the church is able to support him. Before then,he should know JIREH for himself and practice what he preaches. Besides,if he is ministering to his people spiritual food,how will they not minister carnal food to him?

cheesy Thanks @mbulela,
Ofcourse I am not surprised you picked part of my post and ran with it like that is all I said so far.

We are still talking about a tenth, you guys are going gaga. Lol. Not to even mention all the other givings, yet you claim your finances are at God's disposal? But all I see here are people rounding up their whole giving to tithe.
If in all i have pasted since, the only thing you picked is where I spoke of a tithe, it really shows how generous you are in reading posts.
Next time please study my post in context, ok? Thanks.
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by mbulela: 10:18pm On Oct 14, 2013
God2man: It is what you respect that comes into your life, if you want to grow old, you should respect your elders in the Christiandom, they are not Jesus, but they are the respresentatives of God on earth

You lost me very early at the bold part.
Representatives of God on earth as in 'Assistant Holy Spirit' or Deputy Jesus?
Dude, everyone called and washed by His blood is an Ambassador of God on earth. God does not have last borns. We are all sons (and daughters of the Most High).

3 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by babino22: 10:20pm On Oct 14, 2013
No cause for alarm, let the holy spirit u think u av direct u.
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by mbulela: 10:21pm On Oct 14, 2013
mojeer678:

What profound truth?

You can't put the ugly mushroom cloud back into that shiny uranium sphere, apology to Asimov.

You will have better luck squeezing the toothpaste back into the tube. bidam seriously erred by stating that the Blessed Saviour and Redeemer, the Lord Yeshua the Messiah was a pharisee.

As far as I'm concerned, the same source can't produce both fresh water and stagnant water at the same time; can't bring forth guava and cocoyam.

Error and profound truth are mutually exclusive.

You need to brush up the critical thinking notebooks!
Truth in the part i quoted grin
I find this tithing issue boring,although my view is obvious.
That i do not share all his views does not mean that i can never agree with everything he says.
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Candour(m): 10:21pm On Oct 14, 2013
mbulela: On the other side of the argument. All those preaching against tithe, i also hope your finances are as sold out to God as your anti-tithe sermons? I hope like Abraham you dare not withhold the Isaac of your finances? Knowing that He that gave you Isaac can and will bring him back from the death. Not enough to give left overs and be shouting. Not to tithe!!

God bless you for this. A Christian who realizes God owns him 100% will let go the hold of money on him.

Personally, it was when the hold of legalistic 10% got broken in my life did i become free of materialism. Before, once i pay tithe and give first fruits, i sat back expecting the promised windows of heaven to rain down and consume it on my lusts but now, i couldn't careless what i have or don't have.

I now know the truth of 'we brought nothing into this world, and it's certain we can carry nothing out'

If only our jet buying pastors will realize how empty and ephemeral things are, they'll start using their stupendous wealth to alleviate the dire economic conditions of the folks in their church buildings.

Give in your churches and ensure the funds are judiciously used for the gospel and for the needy. Only then can you be tagged a faithful steward of the resources God put in your care.

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by mbulela: 10:23pm On Oct 14, 2013
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by mojeer678: 10:25pm On Oct 14, 2013
HerexG :
first Christ never intend Christianity to be a religion the Romans made it so

If Christianity is not a religion how come rituals being done in a religion such as Judaism is being practised in the faith, tithing is a religion rituals done in Judaism.

Note
The people who practised tithing in the bible came with perishable goods and not with money

Tithe is an act of the law and we in Christ are set free from the law. If truly they want to practise Judaism laws, how come they selected only tithing and left laws like

Observing the sabbath rituals
Killing of rams for sacrificies
The passover rituals and many more

Christianity and Love are inseparable, you want to give, give out of love and not compulsion. Thank you and God bless you...

Thank you HerexG, couldn't have put it better myself, right on point!!

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by christemmbassey(m): 10:29pm On Oct 14, 2013
mbulela: On the other side of the argument. All those preaching against tithe, i also hope your finances are as sold out to God as your anti-tithe sermons? I hope like Abraham you dare not withhold the Isaac of your finances? Knowing that He that gave you Isaac can and will bring him back from the death. Not enough to give left overs and be shouting. Not to tithe!!
another tithe collector, by their fructs, u know them. Oga, go n work, u get hand n even go skool, don't b a waste comot eye 4 ppl moni. Haba.
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by mbulela: 10:36pm On Oct 14, 2013
christemmbassey: another tithe collector, by their fructs, u know them. Oga, go n work, u get hand n even go skool, don't b a waste comot eye 4 ppl moni. Haba.
SMH.
Good night.
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by mojeer678: 10:37pm On Oct 14, 2013
Goshen360:

Where do you see FULL TIME ministry in the new testament? Give example of one, I mean just one Apostle that was FULL TIME?

Again, point just one man of God in this our generation that is in ministry but DON'T HAVE ANY PERSONAL BUSINESS AS SOURCE OF INCOME.

FULL TIME call or ministry is another deception in the church of God.

Like the catholic fadas? tongue
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by truthislight: 10:59pm On Oct 14, 2013
Bidam: was Jesus a pharisee? YES ..Do pharisees pay tithe? Yes.Was Paul a pharisee? Yes..Do pharisees pay tithe? YES. Jesus fulfilled the law.You don't need a prophet to tell you these things.Use your brain? cheesy
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 14, 2013
Goshen360:

shocked shocked shocked

Bidam, did you just called Christ, a pharisee just because you want to justify tithe?
You guys should get your facts right as bible students before crucifying me,because Jesus was in logger-heads with the pharisees doesn't negate the fact that he wasn't one of them.

I agree that the presentation of the Pharisees in the Gospels is generally negative. Jesus is seen to be disputing with them continually, which
suggests that his teaching was the antithesis of pharisaism. Closer investigation, however, does not support this suggestion.

Here is an article so you guys can learn cheesy

During the days of Jesus, there were three main groups under the Hasmonean rule. The Pharisees, Sadducees and the Essenes . The Essenes were a sect that were exacerbated with the Pharisees and Sadducees. They moved out of Jerusalem and lived a nomadic life and did not have a role in scripture. The two sects that played a role during the days of Jesus were the Pharisees and Sadducees. The Jews of Jesus’ day belong to one of the two major sects of either the Pharisees or Sadducees and it is with these two sects that Jesus had dealings with in scripture. It is one of these two groups that Joseph and Mary belonged.

The Sadducees

The Sadducees were an liberal elite group that rejected the Oral Law. They did not believe in the resurrection, afterlife or angels.

Sadducees Ask About the Resurrection

The same day Sadducees came to him, who say that there is no resurrection, and they asked him a question, Matthew 22:23 (ESV)

They were one of the two “parties” that served in the Sanhedrin. The Sanhedrin were responsible for interpretation of Jewish civil and religious laws.

So the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered the Council (Sanhedrin)and said, “What are we to do? For this man performs many signs. John 11:47 (ESV)

The Pharisees

The Pharisees, however, held to the belief in a resurrection, an afterlife and angels. They also believed that God punished the wicked and rewarded the righteous in the afterlife as well believing in a Messiah who was to come. The social class of the Pharisees were common people while the Sadducees were the aristocrats.

The lives of the Jews centered around Judaism and the Temple. Mary and Joseph came from a working class family, common people. Joseph was visited by an angel, a belief not held by the Sadducees. Joseph was obedient to the angel.

But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” Matthew 1:20-21 (ESV)

Mary also was visited by an angel of the Lord and conversed with the angel.

"And he came to her and said, “Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!” But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and tried to discern what sort of greeting this might be. And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.” And Mary said to the angel, “How will this be, since I am a virgin?”" Luke 1:28-34 (ESV)

As all the Jews of that day, Joseph and Mary belonged the one of the Jewish groups. Mary and Joseph belonged to the group that held to the belief of angels, a coming Messiah, resurrection and an afterlife, the Pharisees. This is the group that Joseph and Mary belonged to and raised their children.

Historical Understanding

Why is this important? A historical background and a
n understanding of the times and culture aids in understanding the Word of God. The Word of God is not only His revelation but is a historical record as well. It was written during a time period and the men God inspired wrote from the perspective of that period to Jews of that period. It is important to understand the culture to properly interpret God’s word. We cannot read it from a 21st century western cultural perspective.

Jesus was a Jew, lived with Jews, brought the Gospel to the Jews, and spoke and taught them according to their culture. We need to understand the times and culture and read God’s revelation from that perspective and not from the 21st century American culture. http://fruitoftheword.com/2009/10/jesus-was-a-pharisee/
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Goshen360(m): 11:45pm On Oct 14, 2013
Alwaystrue:

I do not know what you mean by 'gospel of giving or tithing'. Yes, Jesus affirmed that their are other weighthier aspects of the law with respect to love, fairness and mercy which should be done but still we should not neglect tithing. It is as simple as ABC for me.
So it was on NL i saw the 'Anti-tithe gospel merchants' and 'ministry of fighting tithes'.

[size=15pt]In the whole earthy ministry of Jesus which is the New Testament,[/size] Jesus spoke and commended different forms of giving....honouring parents by giving to them, giving to the poor and needy, giving offerings and tithes, giving tax to the authorities and so on so giving is in different forms.

No one says you should not give directly to the poor, I only said the early Jerusalem church gave by bringing their 100% to a place for distribution to all and sundry as a form of communal living.

Yes, keep giving cheerfully. Thanks.

We have people who are still ignorant, who should go back to basic but the claim to know and wants to teach half truth. What will their listeners come out to be? Obviously, same ignorant products.

People teaching Jesus ministry on earth is the NEW TESTAMENT. Now, we know why they cannot even learn but filled with pride. cheesy
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 12:00am On Oct 15, 2013
Goshen360:

We have people who are still ignorant, who should go back to basic but the claim to know and wants to teach half truth. What will their listeners come out to be? Obviously, same ignorant products.

People teaching Jesus ministry on earth is the NEW TESTAMENT. Now, we know why they cannot even learn but filled with pride. cheesy
Who brought the NEW TESTAMENT IF NOT JESUS,He prophesied about going to the cross and He fulfilled the Will of the Father..so what? cheesy

Luke 22:20
New International Version
In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Does this scripture sound like an old covenant scripture? SMH!!
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by christemmbassey(m): 12:07am On Oct 15, 2013
Goshen360:

u dey try sha, to read n respön to her posts, most of her posts are nt related to d topic.
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by christemmbassey(m): 12:13am On Oct 15, 2013
Bidam: Who brought the NEW TESTAMENT IF NOT JESUS,He prophesied about going to the cross and He fulfilled the Will of the Father..so what? cheesy

Luke 22:20
New International Version
In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Does this scripture sound like an old covenant scripture? SMH!!
u r a big disgrace, is dat NT? na so u go dey talk say Jesus na hypocrite, bidam, i been no sabi say ur case dey so bad. Go n beg God 4 forgiveness, see wetin tithe collection don do to ur sence.

3 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by abbey621(m): 12:54am On Oct 15, 2013
I often wonder if Nigerians should be tested for mental illnesses. For goodness sake, this nation is probably the most religion driven nation in the world. Everywhere we turn, we have churches and mosques yet poverty everywhere, people dying like flies, one disaster after the other, yet we have so called Christians who call their pastors daddy all because he can perform magic tricks, we have people killing each other all because of some ignorant imam or senator. Now back to the topic, I find it interesting that certain aspects of the old testaments are done away with or no longer valid because of Jesus and the new testament, yet when it comes to tithe Christians love to go back to the old testament, we have pastors focusing more on tithes than spiritual healing, some of them eager to tell their congregation that they would not make heaven if they do not pay tithe, we have pastors buying jets, sponsoring politicians, building mansions and universities all out of money received from hard working Nigerians, yet the same people that diligently paid their tithes, cannot afford to send their children to the universities or even fly on an airplane. I believe man made religion and not the other way around, it is not by tithe or offering but by the magnitude of kindness in one's heart, Nigerians go to church or mosque every single day, pay tithe and act holy yet they beef their neighbors, ignore starving children and judge anyone or anything they do not understand, shame on all of you!!!!!!!!!!

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind / What Is The Funniest And Most Unnecessary Testimony You Have Heard In Church. / 10 Ways To Enjoy Christmas When You Are Broke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.