Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,791 members, 7,831,556 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:57 PM

Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches (30210 Views)

.:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. / Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing / List Of People I Saw Going to Hell: Footballers & Fans, Musicians, Non-Tithers.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Candour(m): 3:56am On Oct 15, 2013
Bidam: You guys should get your facts right as bible students before crucifying me,because Jesus was in logger-heads with the pharisees doesn't negate the fact that he wasn't one of them.

I agree that the presentation of the Pharisees in the Gospels is generally negative. Jesus is seen to be disputing with them continually, which
suggests that his teaching was the antithesis of pharisaism. Closer investigation, however, does not support this suggestion.

Here is an article so you guys can learn cheesy

So Jesus was a Pharisee because his parents believed in Angels, Resurrection and the afterlife which the Pharisees also believed in. Therefore by this logic, most of us here are effectively Muslims since we also believe there are angels and the afterlife like the Muslims.

Pls Jesus was NEVER a Pharisee. It is an insult to say so. Everything about them was in opposition to what Christ termed true worship of the father. Pharisees were those who learned the law at the feet of some great Rabbi. Jesus didn't have this privilege. That the Pharisees believed some things Jesus believed in doesn't make him one of them. If you follow this thought, you would see yourself possibly as Hindu, Muslim, Bhuddist etc as you'll find there are some beliefs you share with each of the groups.

The only sensible thing from the article pasted is this

understanding of the times and culture aids in understanding the Word of God. The Word of God is not only His revelation but is a historical record as well. It was written during a time period and the men God inspired wrote from the perspective of that period to Jews of that period. It is important to understand the culture to properly interpret God’s word. We cannot read it from a 21st century western cultural perspective

If you believe this quote from the article you pasted, then it should help you understand the prevalent culture of the middle east as at the time Abraham lived. This would help you understand the reason behind most of his practices like the affair with Haggar that his wife suggested, his tithes to Melchizedek etc.

Paying attention to historical and cultural background of scripture will also make you realize that the early Christians COULD NOT HAVE PAID TITHES as the Levitical priesthood was still in full operation when Jesus was crucified in 29AD uptil the destruction of the temple in 70AD. How then could the apostles have hijacked this function of the Levitical order to themselves? How could they have been bold enough to collect tithes from the church?

This alone is full proof that the early Christians didn't tithe and it lends credence to the Catholic records of introduction of tithes into Christianity in 585AD.

3 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 5:33am On Oct 15, 2013
christemmbassey: u r a big disgrace, is dat NT? na so u go dey talk say Jesus na hypocrite, bidam, i been no sabi say ur case dey so bad. Go n beg God 4 forgiveness, see wetin tithe collection don do to ur sence.
Don't let Goshen and co deceive you with english grammer, i know say na kindergarten you finish your skool before you receive your calling into ministry.New testament=new covenant. cheesy
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 5:35am On Oct 15, 2013
Candour:

So Jesus was a Pharisee because his parents believed in Angels, Resurrection and the afterlife which the Pharisees also believed in. Therefore by this logic, most of us here are effectively Muslims since we also believe there are angels and the afterlife like the Muslims.
In trying so hard to justify your stand you flawed your logic by equating a different prophet from a different race to people who still held the LAWS OF MOSES as the epitome of the JEWISH experience i.e the pharisee.How does that sound to your hearing? cheesy
Pls Jesus was NEVER a Pharisee. It is an insult to say so. Everything about them was in opposition to what Christ termed true worship of the father.
Jesus friends were pharisees,Nicodemus was one of them Pharisees, Jesus did not separate himself from His Jewish roots.Get that into your skull.
were those who learned the law at the feet of some great Rabbi. Jesus didn't have this privilege. That the Pharisees believed some things Jesus believed in doesn't make him one of them. If you follow this thought, you would see yourself possibly as Hindu, Muslim, Bhuddist etc as you'll find there are some beliefs you share with each of the groups.
Such a shame you are not making sense at all here, instead you are destroying your logic the more,who was learning at the age of 12 at the temple asking the teachers of the law questions? Oh! You think Jesus came down from Heaven with ALL THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE MOSAIC LAWS BECAUSE HE IS THE SON OF GOD ABI?. Jesus learned the TORAH just like any Jews UNDER THE PHARISEES AND SCRIBES, Pharisees is not a derogatory term,they are the believers of the MOSAIC LAW IN Jesus era.If you say Jesus is different from them,then you guys are preaching ANOTHER JESUS HERE. cheesy

Paying attention to historical and cultural background of scripture will also make you realize that the early Christians COULD NOT HAVE PAID TITHES as the Levitical priesthood was still in full operation when Jesus was crucified in 29AD uptil the destruction of the temple in 70AD. How then could the apostles have hijacked this function of the Levitical order to themselves? How could they have been bold enough to collect tithes from the church?
The APOSTLES WERE JEWS WHO STILL HELD ONTO THE TORAH(LAWS OF MOSES) and that was the only book available even after the death of Jesus.They still practiced the LAW.The only problem they had withe the pharisees was concerning THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS. So They knew Jesus is the son of God and EQUAL with God because they were WITNESSES to these things,Jesus NEVER CONDEMN THE TITHE..HE condemned the traditions of the pharisees and so many other abuses in the doctrines of men they made BUT Jesus never condemned the LAW OF MOSES. Stop all these your extrabiblical guesses and erroneous theologies,they are vain philosophies and old-wives fables.STICK TO THE WORD(JESUS)

This alone is full proof that the early Christians didn't tithe and it lends credence to the Catholic records of introduction of tithes into Christianity in 585AD.
There was a dark age for 400yrs from MALACHI before John came on the scene,nobody knew what happened for 400yrs.THEY ARE SILENT YEARS.Likewise after the ACTS of the Apostle,After the death of all the APOSTLES INCLUDING PAUL was a dark age in the church history.That is why it is advisable for you to stick TO THE 66 BOOKS CALLED THE CANNON OF SCRIPTURE. Why do you think other books were discarded and only these remained? It is God that was at work in the hearts of men all this while.My advise for you is not to enter into treacherous terrain because you want to discredit what you still don't understand.Stick to the 66 books God has ordained for the Church.To make matters worse for you guys Tithing is mentioned in the 66 books. grin

[/quote]
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Zikkyy(m): 6:47am On Oct 15, 2013
Alwaystrue:
Tithes/offerings did not make or ordain the priesthood, God had prior said that tithes were His before He in a later chapter gave all the tithes to the Levites for the service which they serve.

God gave his tithe as inheritance to the Levites and we don't read anywhere in the bible that the tithe inheritance was transferred to pastors or church. God's tithe belongs to the Levites and God is yet to reverse his will regarding tithe.

Numbers 18:24 (NIV)
24 Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the Lord. That is why I said concerning them: ‘They will have no inheritance among the Israelites.’”

Alwaystrue:
How the law that was weak and unprofitable and that made nothing perfect is now termed as tithe shows the level of carnality we have on display here.

It has everything to do with tithe. As long as there was a levi priesthood, there was a command to collect tithe from their brothers.

3 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 6:58am On Oct 15, 2013
bankyc:

brother, ur ignorance amuses me. Why was christ baptise? Was he a sinner? But Inorder to fulfill all righteousness. Yet he's our Lord. This shows hw important baptism is. But he neva spoke or obsever this ritual called tithe. If tithe was as important as our so call pastors present it to be, christ could av mentioned it because he was here to show us the way and he's our MAIN example.
how does that relate to what i posted?? Did you read my message?? Everyone in the bible paid tithe to someone who is spiritually higher...and no one was Higher than Christ, one thing you don't know is that most of the persons arguing about this topic are atheists and satanists, they do everything possible to turn men from God. What You're doing looks right in your eyes, but It's totally wrong.. Show me a version of the bible that says "thou shall not pay your tithe" and We'll believe that paying tithe is wrong....
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Zikkyy(m): 7:04am On Oct 15, 2013
mailmalc:
You can not deceive God, you are only deceiving yourselves with the help of your men of God and honestly, you are not even helping your men of God. Jesus Christ did not die for us to pay 10% before the heavens will be opened up for God to pour out his blessing upon us. The heavens are opened already, just love God and watch the blessing come down abundantly.

Bless.

i loved this bit so much i decided to quote here just in case some peeps missed it first time.

2 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Candour(m): 7:13am On Oct 15, 2013
Bidam: In trying so hard to justify your stand you flawed your logic by equating a different prophet from a different race to people who still held the LAWS OF MOSES as the epitome of the JEWISH experience i.e the pharisee.How does that sound to your hearing? cheesy

Now you see the unintelligence of the premise you base your faulty conclusion on. I wonder how you felt when you typed with your hands affirmatively that JESUS WAS A PHARISEE

Jesus friends were pharisees,Nicodemus was one of them Pharisees, Jesus did not separate himself from His Jewish roots.Get that into your skull.

You should try and think intelligently sometimes. So he is a Pharisee because he had Pharisees as friends? How about you call him a prostitute because he also had some as friends? Then just go ahead and call him a sinner since he mixed with plenty of sinners.

Such a shame you are not making sense at all here, instead you are destroying your logic the more,who was learning at the age of 12 at the temple asking the teachers of the law questions? Oh! You think Jesus came down from Heaven with ALL THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE MOSAIC LAWS BECAUSE HE IS THE SON OF GOD ABI?. Jesus learned the TORAH just like any Jews UNDER THE PHARISEES AND SCRIBES, Pharisees is not a derogatory term,they are the believers of the MOSAIC LAW IN Jesus era.If you say Jesus is different from them,then you guys are preaching ANOTHER JESUS HERE. cheesy

John 7:14-15
'Now about the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and taught.15.And the Jews marveled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned'

The verse above said he never learned. Which means no one taught him. So go ahead and let us know if you're the Pharisee that taught him.

But then, the Messiah you preach is all decked up in Mammon so maybe that's the one taught by your Pharisee friends.

The APOSTLES WERE JEWS WHO STILL HELD ONTO THE TORAH(LAWS OF MOSES) and that was the only book available even after the death of Jesus.They still practiced the LAW.The only problem they had withe the pharisees was concerning THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS. So They knew Jesus is the son of God and EQUAL with God because they were WITNESSES to these things,Jesus NEVER CONDEMN THE TITHE..HE condemned the traditions of the pharisees and so many other abuses in the doctrines of men they made BUT Jesus never condemned the LAW OF MOSES. Stop all these your extrabiblical guesses and erroneous theologies,they are vain philosophies and old-wives fables.STICK TO THE WORD(JESUS)

Good you agree they upheld the Torah. Now according to the Torah, which tribe collected tithes? LEVITES According to the Torah which of the apostles qualified to collect tithes? NONE. Do you think every religious leader in Israel qualified to collect tithes?

The apostles knew the Torah exempted them from tithes so THEY DID NOT COLLECT TITHES. They were honest and upright men not thieves.

Before you go to dig up historical documents nextime to prove falsehood and blasphemy, preach to yourself that the word of God is sufficient.

There was a dark age for 400yrs from MALACHI before John came on the scene,nobody knew what happened for 400yrs.THEY ARE SILENT YEARS.Likewise after the ACTS of the Apostle,After the death of all the APOSTLES INCLUDING PAUL was a dark age in the church history.That is why it is advisable for you to stick TO THE 66 BOOKS CALLED THE CANNON OF SCRIPTURE. Why do you think other books were discarded and only these remained? It is God that was at work in the hearts of men all this while.My advise for you is not to enter into treacherous terrain because you want to discredit what you still don't understand.Stick to the 66 books God has ordained for the Church.To make matters worse for you guys Tithing is mentioned in the 66 books. grin

So you didn't know all these before you went to dig up an historical document to support your heresy that the saviour was a Pharisee? You need plenty of help. I know giving enough rope, you'll hang yourself without external help.

Go ahead and show from scriptures how the early church paid tithes. Go ahead, oblige the world with information how Paul a benjaminite cornered tithes.

Learn to read an article and understand it before you rush to copy and paste it on a public forum.

6 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Zikkyy(m): 7:13am On Oct 15, 2013
Alwaystrue:
If giving a tenth to the ministers can be such a challenge and can cause this level of quibbling, we then know the hearts of man. It is so easy to know a person with regards to how he acts when money matters are discussed.

mbulela:
You actually think giving a tenth of your increase shows where your heart lies?
It simply shows that you are legalistic and your heart is not sold out on God.

Just in case you missed this as well smiley

2 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by alexleo(m): 7:33am On Oct 15, 2013
Goshen360:

Where do you see FULL TIME ministry in the new testament? Give example of one, I mean just one Apostle that was FULL TIME?

Again, point just one man of God in this our generation that is in ministry but DON'T HAVE ANY PERSONAL BUSINESS AS SOURCE OF INCOME.

FULL TIME call or ministry is another deception in the church of God.

Goshen360 kindly list all the apostles and preachers in the bible and tell us the secular job or business each of them did since you want us to believe that all of them had things they were doing to make money. If you can't list them then you have no grounds to claim that none of them engaged fully in God's work without having a secular job or business. Thanks.
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Zikkyy(m): 7:38am On Oct 15, 2013
Elliotwiz1:
how does that relate to what i posted?? Did you read my message?? Everyone in the bible paid tithe to someone who is spiritually higher....

Tithe is not about being spiritually higher. we know the prophets (i.e. Elijah & co) did not receive tithe, the apostles did not, John the baptist did not receive tithe, Jesus did not receive tithe e.t.c.

2 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by alexleo(m): 7:59am On Oct 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

Tithe is not about being spiritually higher. we know the prophets (i.e. Elijah & co) did not receive tithe, the apostles did not, John the baptist did not receive tithe, Jesus did not receive tithe e.t.c.

Did Jesus condemn tithe? Show me. Where he mentioned tithe did he say they should stop paying it? NO. If Jesus came to abolish tithe as you people claim, why didn't he condemn it outrightly as you people do? See mathew 23;23-

23 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

Now if Jesus was against tithe why didn't he condemn it here outrightly. The last phrase "without neglecting the former" shouldn't have been there if he was against tithe.
Again since you people said that the law has been abolished, it means that justice, mercy and faithfulness has been abolished too as they are also mentioned by Jesus as important matters of the law.

2 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 15, 2013
alexleo:

Did Jesus condemn tithe? Show me. Where he mentioned tithe did he say they should stop paying it? NO. If Jesus came to abolish tithe as you people claim, why didn't he condemn it outrightly as you people do? See mathew 23;23-

23 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

Now if Jesus was against tithe why didn't he condemn it here outrightly. The last phrase "without neglecting the former" shouldn't have been there if he was against tithe.
Again since you people said that the law has been abolished, it means that justice, mercy and faithfulness has been abolished too as they are also mentioned by Jesus as important matters of the law.

grin Seriously, i dont know much of bible, but i can't help but laugh at what you wrote above. firstly, Jesus was condemning the practice of pharisees and teachers of the law, are you one of those? well, i'm not bound to the law, if you are, that's your problem and that also means that you are not a christian. Cos if you are, you would have joined jesus to condemn the pharisee and teachers of the law.

Tithing turns you into pharisee, therefore, you must obey all the deeds in the law, not just tithing.

Also notice that the tithing he was refering to here, has to do with agricultural products-Spices. so if you must tithe, make sure you tithe well, with you agricultural products and not money. so you would not incur another curse unto your self.

4 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by cntabs(m): 9:11am On Oct 15, 2013
Is it wrong to support the work of God with at least 10% of my income? I don't think so. If pastors are misusing the funds it is for God to judge. It's the heart you use to give that matters. Make sure your giving cheerfully and willingly. Good morning.
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 9:11am On Oct 15, 2013
Candour:

Now you see the unintelligence of the premise you base your faulty conclusion on. I wonder how you felt when you typed with your hands affirmatively that JESUS WAS A PHARISEE
There are sects in islam,yet they hold onto one god and one book the quran,there are sects in Christianity,yet they hold on to one god and one book the bible,so also there were 3 sects in Judaism during Jesus era and they held on to ONE GOD AND ONE TORAH(LAW OF MOSES).Jesus did not belong to the other 2.He belonged to the PHARISEES.get THAT INTO YOUR THICK SKULL PAL. cheesy

It was after his death and Resurrection,that his disciples now formed a SECT CALLED THE WAY and not before,did you get that?

You should try and think intelligently sometimes. So he is a Pharisee because he had Pharisees as friends? How about you call him a prostitute because he also had some as friends? Then just go ahead and call him a sinner since he mixed with plenty of sinners.
You also should reason scriptures and not think with your anus,the pharisees were the ONLY SECT that believed there will be a Resurrection.They were the custodians of the LAW.THEY WERE LIKE THE BELIEVERS WE HAVE IN MODERN-DAY CHRISTIANITY.

John 7:14-15
'Now about the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and taught.15.And the Jews marveled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned'

The verse above said he never learned. Which means no one taught him. So go ahead and let us know if you're the Pharisee that taught him.

But then, the Messiah you preach is all decked up in Mammon so maybe that's the one taught by your Pharisee friends.
Maybe you should go back to school and brush up your English because someone THINKS i never went to the university doesn't mean i did not go to the university. cheesy, They thought Jesus never learned the letters,were they with Jesus when he was asking questions at the age of 12? and going back to ask JOSEPH HIS FATHER A JUST MAN WHO KNEW THE LAW AND MARY HIS MOTHER A CHASTE WOMAN WHO OBEYED THE LAWS OF MOSES? Everybody knows it is the Jewish custom and traditions of the father to teach his sons the LAWS AND WAYS OF THE JEWISH PEOPLE.JOSEPH WAS A PHARISEE THROUGH AND THROUGH.

Good you agree they upheld the Torah. Now according to the Torah, which tribe collected tithes? LEVITES According to the Torah which of the apostles qualified to collect tithes? NONE. Do you think every religious leader in Israel qualified to collect tithes?

The apostles knew the Torah exempted them from tithes so THEY DID NOT COLLECT TITHES. They were honest and upright men not thieves.
You still did not get the point here.You said the temple was destroyed about 70 AD. The apostles NEVER depareted from the temple,they visit the temple regularly for prayers(ACTS 3) PETER,JAMES,JOHN AND OTHERS KEPT THE JEWISH LAWS AND THE JEWISH FEASTS
in the temple, not amongst themselves.
Before you go to dig up historical documents nextime to prove falsehood and blasphemy, preach to yourself that the word of God is sufficient.
You err everything the article quoted wasn't even a historical record but the bible,it shows you never read the scripture they quoted and assumed you knew too much.Now inside Me and You, who is fond of digging historical records? grin Let others be the judge of that abeg

So you didn't know all these before you went to dig up an historical document to support your heresy that the saviour was a Pharisee? You need plenty of help. I know giving enough rope, you'll hang yourself without external help.

Go ahead and show from scriptures how the early church paid tithes. Go ahead, oblige the world with information how Paul a benjaminite cornered tithes.

Learn to read an article and understand it before you rush to copy and paste it on a public forum.
You are still repeating what the article never said here instead of addressing my points. This is what i said digest it before rushing to argue,take your time,don't rush grin
There was a dark age for 400yrs from MALACHI before John came on the scene,nobody knew what happened for 400yrs.THEY ARE SILENT YEARS.Likewise after the ACTS of the Apostle,After the death of all the APOSTLES INCLUDING PAUL was a dark age in the church history.That is why it is advisable for you to stick TO THE 66 BOOKS CALLED THE CANNON OF SCRIPTURE. Why do you think other books were discarded and only these remained? It is God that was at work in the hearts of men all this while.My advise for you is not to enter into treacherous terrain because you want to discredit what you still don't understand.Stick to the 66 books God has ordained for the Church.To make matters worse for you guys Tithing is mentioned in the 66 books
. grin grin grin
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 9:20am On Oct 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

what actually is your problem? Is it that you don't understand what i posted or you don't want to understand it? The bible gave us a lot of examples of people who paid tithe and they ALL paid to people who were spiritually higher!!! How else do i explain this?
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 15, 2013
To make the article clearer for you candour and others i decided to copy paste the part about the pharisees which the article wrote using scriptural verses not historical records as you erroneously implied.Read, listen and learn. cheesy

The Pharisees

The Pharisees, however, held to the belief in a resurrection, an afterlife and angels. They also believed that God punished the wicked and rewarded the righteous in the afterlife as well believing in a Messiah who was to come. The social class of the Pharisees were common people while the Sadducees were the aristocrats.

The lives of the Jews centered around Judaism and the Temple. Mary and Joseph came from a working class family, common people. Joseph was visited by an angel, a belief not held by the Sadducees. Joseph was obedient to the angel.

But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” Matthew 1:20-21 (ESV)

Mary also was visited by an angel of the Lord and conversed with the angel.

"And he came to her and said, “Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!” But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and tried to discern what sort of greeting this might be. And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.” And Mary said to the angel, “How will this be, since I am a virgin?”" Luke 1:28-34 (ESV)

As all the Jews of that day, Joseph and Mary belonged the one of the Jewish groups. Mary and Joseph belonged to the group that held to the belief of angels, a coming Messiah, resurrection and an afterlife, the Pharisees. This is the group that Joseph and Mary belonged to and raised their children.
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by PastorKun(m): 9:35am On Oct 15, 2013
Elliotwiz1: what actually is your problem? Is it that you don't understand what i posted or you don't want to understand it? The bible gave us a lot of examples of people who paid tithe and they ALL paid to people who were spiritually higher!!! How else do i explain this?

Are you saying that the Levites were spiritually higher than everyone else just because they happen to come from the tribe of Levi? shocked

2 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by debosky(m): 9:43am On Oct 15, 2013
Alwaystrue: [color=#990000]
He who has ears will hear.

I Corinthians 9:13-14....In the same way hath the Lord commanded....

What did the Lord command? Finish the verse and show us whether tithes were mentioned in the command. smiley

I dislike the use of sleight of hand - in the same way is different from the same commandment. What is the same is that the priests benefited and ministers should also benefit.

What has been commanded is support from the gospel, not tithe.
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by olowolekan(m): 9:48am On Oct 15, 2013
Go to apostolic faith church everywhere .you will hardly hear about tithe.no collection plates.we pay tithe but you will rarely see people paying their tithe.we have branches in London
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 9:49am On Oct 15, 2013
Tithing is Unscriptural Under the New Covenant

[A Scriptural Exposition on the Fraudulent Fleecing of the Flock]

Since first posting this tithing paper on bible-truths.com, we have had hundreds of thousands of visitors seeking information on this topic. Many have written me personally thanking me for freeing them from this illegal and abusive practice of the Church. I have also received emails from some who are sure that tithing is a bonafide legal obligation for members of the New Testament Christian Church.

Objections to my paper range from simply quoting the prophet Malachi sent to the priests and nation of Israel: "Wherein have we robbed Thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse…." While others who can find absolutely no Scriptural authority for Christians to tithe, invent clever little doctrines like this:

"Tithing was a form of worship to God, and since we still worship God, we must still tithe."

I will answer this one in one sentence: Since burnt offerings were a form of worshiping God, and since we still worship God, must we still offer burnt offerings to God? ... Ridiculous.

Part II of this paper covers the Malachi prophecy more thoroughly as it concerns the subject of tithing.

PART I

"Will a man ROB God?" How many untold tens of thousands of men will give account one day for teaching this verse in Malachi 3:8 totally out of context for their own sordid gain. I couldn’t count the times I have heard self-appointed ministers of the gospel berate their congregations and listeners for "robbing God" in tithes and offerings. This verse in Malachi certainly means what it says. Someone was defrauding God of tithes and offerings, but wait until you find out who it is that God blames for this act.

On any given Sunday morning there will be numerous men-of-the-cloth who will be bellowing out over the air waves that people are being "cursed with a curse" because they have failed to pay God ten percent of their paychecks. And should such a gullible listener decide to repent and give God ten percent of his salary, just how would he do that? Just keep reading. These men of the cloth who often have unquenchable worldly desires of the flesh, will be sure to give you an address where you can send them (or, ah, rather God) your tithe. And do they have a right to quote these Scriptures in this manner? No they do not, and furthermore they themselves know better.

SOME SHOCKING TRUTHS ABOUT THE CHRISTIAN TITHING DOCTRINE

Abraham never tithed on his own personal property or livestock.

Jacob wouldn’t tithe until God blessed him first.

Only Levite priests could collect tithes, and there are no Levite priests today.

Only food products from the land were tithable.

Money was never a tithable commodity.

Christian converts were never asked to tithe anything to the Church.

Tithing in the Church first appears centuries after completion of the Bible.

ALL SCRIPTURAL REFERENCES TO TITHING

We will now go through all the Scriptural references in the Bible on tithe, tithes, and tithing:

[1] Gen. 14:20, "And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he [Abram] gave him [Melchizedek king of Salem, the priest of the most high God, Ver. 18] TITHES of all [all the goods of war, Ver. 16]."

We read again of this same event in the book of Hebrews:

[2] Heb. 7:1-10, "For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of God Most High, who meets with Abraham returning from the combat with the kings and blesses him, to whom Abraham parts a TITHE also, from all... Now, behold how eminent this one is to whom the patriarch Abraham gives a TITHE also of the best of the booty. And, indeed, those of the sons of Levi who obtain the priestly office have a direction to take TITHES from the people according to the law... And here, indeed, dying men are obtaining TITHES... And so, to say, through Abraham, Levi also, who is obtaining the TITHES, has been TITHED, for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek meets with him."

There are a number of things we can learn concerning tithing from this section of Scriptures. In this, the first mention of tithing in the Bible, Abram gives to Melchizedek (a priest of God who was also the king of the city of Salem) a tithe of the best of the booty taken in war. Notice that this was not wheat, corn, wine, oil, or cattle from Abram’s personal possessions, but rather booty taken from conquered nations.

There is nothing stated here that would cause us to conclude that Abram (later changed to Abraham) ever tithed on a regular basis on his own person possessions. Although Abraham gave Melchizedek a tithe of the booty of war, he told the king of Sodom that he would take none of it for himself.

In this same account recorded in the seventh chapter of Hebrews, we learn that the priests of Levi, from the family of Aaron (although far inferior to the priestly order of Melchizedek) also receive tithes from the people according to the law. This tells us little more about the actual tithes other than they received tithes.

Christian scholars claim that Abraham’s tithing of the spoils of war predated the Law of Moses, and therefore even if the Law of Moses is done away with, tithing is still binding on Christians because Abraham predated the Law of Moses. Is this true?

And Christendom teaches that this Scripture is the first proof from the Word of God that Christians are to tithe ten percent of their salaries to the church. But what have we really learned from these Scriptures?:

Abraham went to war on behalf of Sodom (SODOM, mind you), to rescue his nephew, Lot. He then gave 10% of these spoils of war to Melchizedek, and allowed Sodom to keep 90%, while he himself kept NOTHING!

Now then, is there a Scholar alive anywhere on earth that can explain to us how this one single unparalleled and never-again-to-be-duplicated event is Scriptural proof that Christians should give 10% of their annual salaries (not the spoils of war, but their money, their salaries), not once, but year after year after year, not to Melchizedek, but to Clergymen who claim to be ministers of Jesus Christ? If anyone can see a similarity here, I will show him the similarity between an elephant and a fruit fly.

Next we will observe a Scripture that you will probably never hear a sermon on. No tithe-preaching clergyman would use the example of how Jacob tithed. Remember, Jacob is the grandson of Abraham, the father of the faithful, whom God also blessed tremendously. Not only did God approve of Jacob’s tithing proposal, but, He made it the foundational principle upon which all future tithing would be based. Here it is.

[3] Gen. 28:20-22, "And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, IF God will be with me, and [if God] will keep me in this way that I go, and [if God] will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father’s house in peace; THEN shall the Lord be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God’s house: and of all that thou shall GIVE ME I will surely give the TENTH unto thee."

Wow! This one Scripture pretty much contradicts 99% of all sermons I have ever heard on the subject of tithing! This is the very first Scripture in the Bible that gives an account of someone giving a tenth or tithe of his personal possessions back to God. But, oh how different it is from the teachings of most Christian Churches.

First Jacob truly recognizes God as God. He then begins to proposition God. He states that "IF" God will do this and "IF’ God will do the other things, "THEN" Jacob says, "shall the Lord be my God." Jacob concludes his proposition to God, should God meet all of his requirements, by saying that of all the things that God will first give to Jacob, Jacob will give God back a tenth. Now don’t laugh. God honored Jacob’s proposition, and furthermore, God continued to honor this same principle of tithing all through Israel’s history. As Paul said, "Now what have you which you did not obtain?" (I Cor. 4:7) All that we possess comes from God.

And so, once more, we learn that Israel was not to tithe on what they did not first possess, unlike those today who teach that it is required to tithe on that which one does not already possess.

God is not partial and God is not a hypocrite. This example of Jacob proves that God doesn’t expect a tithe until He blessed the tithe payer first. Everyone should put down this paper, call his minister, and tell him you want to hear a sermon Sunday morning on how Jacob paid tithes to God. Now hold your breath.

Let’s ask ourselves a reasonable question: Just how did Jacob actually give a tithe to God? Did he personally hand it to God? No, no one has ever even seen God. Did Jacob tithe to an angel? No, angels do not need and can’t use tithes. Did Jacob send his tithe to Heaven by Celestial Express? No. Did he take it to the local church? No, there was no local church. Did he take it to the Temple? No, there was no temple. Did he give it directly to one of the Levitic priests? No, there were no Levites as yet. Well how then did Jacob tithe to God? Was it even possible? Yes, there were actually two different ways that Jacob could tithe to God:

"And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your TITHES, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks: And there ye shall eat before the Lord your God, and ye shall rejoice in all that ye put your hand unto, YE and YOUR HOUSEHOLDS, wherein the Lord thy God hath blessed thee" (Deut. 12:6-7).

"And even though there were no Levites in Jacob’s day, nonetheless, there were "...the STRANGER, and the FATHERLESS, and the WIDOW, which are within thy gates, shall come, and SHALL EAT AND BE SATISFIED; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thin hand which thou doest" (Deut. 14:29).

That’s how God acknowledged a tithe from Jacob: By partaking of a portion himself and his family in communion and thanksgiving to God, and by sharing his fortune with those who were unfortunate, poor, strangers, etc.

[4] Leviticus 27:30-33, "And all the TITHE of the LAND, whether of the SEED of the land, or of the FRUIT, of the tree, is the Lord’s: it is holy unto the Lord. And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof. And concerning the TITHE of the HERD, or of the FLOCK, even of whatsoever passes under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the Lord. He shall not search whether it be good or bad, neither shall he change it..."

We learn a great deal about tithing in this section of Scripture:

The tithe comes from the "land," not the air or the sea. Fishermen were not required to tithe fish.
It was the "seed" or agricultural products from the fields that was holy to God and tithable.
Products from "trees" were to be tithed. This not only included the fruit, but oils, etc.
Of "herds or flocks" it was the "tenth" that passed under the rod that was holy and dedicated to God.

Here is exposed another lie of modern clergymen. It was not the first tenth, but rather the tenth tenth that belonged to God, contrary to every minister I have ever heard, who insists that the first tenth always belongs to God. Unscriptural. Untrue. Read your bible--it’s the tenth one of a herd that belongs to God.

Another interesting point is this. If a herdsman had but nine cattle, he didn’t tithe his cattle at all! Also notice that God did not even require the best of the cattle, just the tenth one to pass under the rod even if it was the runtiest of them all. Remember, we are talking about tithing and not sacrificing (animals for sacrifice always had to be without blemish.)

Did you notice that this summary at the very end of the book of Leviticus does not mention the tithing of money? Interesting. But just maybe we will find the tithing of money in some other Scripture?

[5] Numbers 18:24-28, "But the TITHES of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the Lord, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.

And the Lord spoke unto Moses, saying, Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the TITHES which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the Lord, even a TENTH part of the TITHE. And this your heave offering shall be reckoned unto you, as though it were the corn of the threshing floor, and as the fullness of the winepress. Thus ye also shall offer an heave offering unto the Lord of all your TITHES, which ye receive of the children of Israel; and ye shall give thereof the Lord’s heave offering to Aaron the priest."

According to the above Scriptures, could just anyone claim to be a representative of God and therefore have Israel pay tithes to him? Let’s read it again, "But the TITHES of the children of Israel ... I have given to the Levites to inherit." Now in order to be a priest one not only had to be of the tribe of Levi, but he also had to be of the family of Aaron. In fact, if one could not trace his genealogy back to the family of Aaron, he could not be a priest of God. This is the whole point of Hebrews seven. Jesus Christ is a priest for the eons of the rank of Melchizedek because Melchizedek predated the law which stated that only sons of Aaron could be priests. Therefore Melchizedek’s genealogy is not given in the Scriptures, and Christ, who according to the flesh is of the line of Judah, can and will be God’s High Priest in the Kingdom of God.

A warning to all charlatans and would-be tithe extractors and collectors: There is NO temple of God being officiated in Jerusalem today. There is NO Levitic priesthood to officiate at such a temple. There is NO NEED for such a temple or priesthood at this time. Only Levites could collect tithes at the temple. Therefore, EVERYONE collecting tithes today is a charlatan and a fake. If one cannot historically trace back his genealogy generation by generation with no lapses to the family of Aaron, he IS NOT and CANNOT be a priest authorized of God at this time to collect tithes for the temple services and sacrifices. (Of course Jesus IS our Sacrifice, and therefore that whole system funded by the tithes of the law is no longer applicable.)

Yet today we have tithe collecting preachers like James Kennedy and John Hagee, with whom I am a little familiar, collecting tithe monies by the millions and millions of dollars annually. Yet by year's end I heard them begging for more multiple millions of dollars to get them out of all the financial debt they had accumulated during the year. And then, (so help me, if I’m lying, I’m dying), John Hagee has the unmitigated gall to offer his followers (excuse me, sell to his followers--three video tapes, $60 US/$87 CAN) entitled The POWER to get WEALTH, by which Mr. Hagee assures us that we can learn to "STAY OUT OF DEBT"! Can you believe it? Would the word "hypocrite" be too strong or out of place here?

3 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 15, 2013
The whole system changed under the New Covenant. Notice what happened:

Jesus said the temple would be utterly destroyed

"And, coming out, Jesus sent from the sanctuary. And His disciples approached to exhibit to Him the buildings of the sanctuary. Yet He, answering, said to them, 'Are you not observing all these? Verily, I am saying to you, Under no circumstances may a stone here be left on a stone, which shall not be DEMOLISHED.’" (Matt. 24:1-2).

Under the New Covenant, God does not dwell in temples made with hands,

"The God Who makes the world and all that is in it, He, the Lord inherent of heaven and earth, is NOT dwelling in temples made by hands..." (Acts 17:24).

The true believers under the New Covenant are now God’s temple,

"For YOU ARE THE TEMPLE OF THE LIVING GOD, according as God said, that I will be making My home and will be walking in them, and I will be their God, and they shall be My people" (II Cor. 6:16).

See also, (I Cor. 3:15 and I Cor. 1:19).

All theologians know that when the temple ceased, the priesthood officiating at the temple CEASED!

Each individual believer under the New Covenant forms a NEW priesthood,

"Yet you are a chosen race, a ‘ROYAL PRIESTHOOD’..." (I Peter 2:9).

How then, under the New Covenant, does a believer give a tenth, when he is supposed to give his all (Rom. 12:1), to a priesthood that does not exist, but now he himself is part of a priesthood (I Peter 2:9), at a temple that does not exist (Mat. 24:1-2), but rather he himself is the temple wherein God dwells? No longer do we have priests with spiritual infirmities interceding for us, but rather we have Christ Jesus as our perfect intercessor and High Priest seated at the right hand of the Majesty in the heavens (Heb. 7:28-8:1).

At this time in history, Israel owes no tithe to anyone. And, of course, we Gentiles (who are a new creation and the true Israel of God--Gal. 6:16) were never instructed to tithe in the first place. Read all thirteen books of the apostle Paul to the gentiles and find one verse where he instructed Gentiles to pay one cent of tithe money to anyone.

[6] Deut. 12:6, 7, 11, 12, 17, 18, "And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your TITHES, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flock.

And there, ye shall eat before the Lord your God, and ye shall rejoice in all that ye put your hand unto, ye and your households, wherein the Lord thy God hath blessed thee.

Then there shall be a place which the Lord your God shall choose to cause his name to dwell there; thither shall ye bring all that I command you; your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, your TITHES, and the heave offering of your hand, and all your choice vows which ye vow unto the Lord.

And ye shall rejoice before the Lord your God, YE, and your SONS and your DAUGHTERS, and your MENSERVANTS, and your MAIDSERVANTS, and the LEVITE that is within your gates; forasmuch as he hath no part nor inheritance with you.

You may not eat within thy gates the TITHE of thy corn, or of thy wine, or of thy oil, or the firstlings of thy herds or of the flocks, nor any of thy vows which thou vow, nor thy freewill offerings, or heave offering of your hand: But YOU MUST EAT THEM before the Lord thy God in the place which the Lord thy God shall choose..."

Let us learn. Who was to partake of all these tithes and good things of the herd and of the land and of the trees? Everyone (yes, the Levite was also included) was to rejoice before the Lord. Did anyone see "money" in the list of things they were to bring before the Lord to rejoice? Was it just the ministers (the Levites) who were the recipients of these tithes and offerings, or was not everyone to partake of these things? Rejoicing and eating one’s own tithe before the Lord, was a very personal and reverent act of worship and communion with God. Not unlike prayer. Others may share and profit from our prayers, but we offer them to God, not to men.

The following verses deal with a practice initiated by God Himself to accommodate those traveling long distances to the Festival Sites where they were to eat and rejoice before the Lord to learn to fear Him. They could sell their tithes of the land for MONEY, and carry that amount of money rather than the bulky and heavy tithes themselves, to the Festival Site. There they were to purchase whatever their hearts desired and to share it with the Levites and the less fortunate. These verses will be further explained in Part II of this paper

[7] Deut. 14:22-29, "Thou shall truly TITHE all the INCREASE of thy SEED, that the field brings forth year by year."

"And you shall eat before the lord your God, in the place which He shall choose to place His name there, the TITHE of thy CORN, of thy WINE, and of your OIL, and the FIRSTLINGS OF THY HERDS and of thy FLOCKS: that thou may learn to fear the Lord thy God always.

And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set His name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee:

Then shall thou turn it into MONEY, and bind up the MONEY in your hand, and shall go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose:

And thou shall BESTOW THAT MONEY FOR WHATSOEVER YOUR SOUL LUSTETH AFTER, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for WHATSOEVER YOUR SOUL DESIRES: and YOU shall eat there before the Lord thy God, and THOU shall rejoice, THOU, AND THINE HOUSEHOLD.

And the Levite that is within thy gates, thou shall not forsake him; for he has no part, nor inheritance with thee.

At the end of three years thou shall bring forth all the TITHE of thine INCREASE the same year, and shall lay it up within thy gates:

And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the STRANGER, and the FATHERLESS, and the WIDOW, which are within thy gates, shall come, and SHALL EAT AND BE SATISFIED; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of your hand which thou doest."

This third year of tithing is mentioned again:

[8] Deut. 26:12, "When thou hast made an end of TITHING all the TITHES of your INCREASE the third year, which is the year of TITHING, and has given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled."

Again we notice that Israel never tithed from their poverty, but on their INCREASE. Contrary to all the deceiving "Shambachs" in the world, God never intended for people to tithe on what they didn’t have, but only on the increase of what God gave them.

For those who don’t know, Mr. Shambach is a character on TBN who told everyone on international television, via 25 communication satellites and reaching about 50,000 major cities around the world, that God personally told him to tell everyone that in order for them to get out of debt and be blessed of God, everyone needed to send Paul Crouch $2000 each, even if they didn’t have the money! He said God would bless them even if they had to pay the $2000 in smaller monthly increments. Unbelievable!

TBN's teachings on tithing are totally unscriptural even if Christians were to tithe. Time and again God told Israel that they were to tithe on their increase from their abundance, not on their decrease or their lack.

Paul never taught the Gentiles to tithe, but he did teach them to give freely from what they had, not from what they didn’t have:

"I want to suggest that you finish what you started to do a year ago, for you were not only the first to propose this idea, but the first to begin doing something about it. Having started the ball rolling so enthusiastically, you should carry this project through to completion just as gladly, GIVING WHATEVER YOU CAN OUT OF WHATEVER YOU HAVE. Let your enthusiastic idea at the start be equaled by your realistic action now. If you are really EAGER TO GIVE, then it isn't important HOW MUCH YOU HAVE TO GIVE. God wants you to give WHAT YOU HAVE, NOT WHAT YOU HAVEN'T" (II Cor. 8:10-12, The Living Bible).

Oh, let met give you one more prosperity example while I’m at it. Some time ago I critiqued two sermons by Dr. Kennedy and Dr. Hagee. As I sent for one of Hagee’s cassette tapes so as to quote him correctly, I got put on his mailing list. In August of 1999 I got a magazine in which he announced a proposed celebration. It appears that he needed seven or eight million dollars in new video equipment and facilities of which he still owed 3.5 million on this debt. Anyway, to commemorate this huge debt and a proposal to get someone else to pay it off for him, he announced "Millennium Miracle 2000 by 2000"! "What in the world is that?" you ask. Well, since you asked, I’ll tell you.

To commemorate this huge debt and Mr. Hagee’s plan to get other people to pay it off for him, he came up with a plan to mint a one ounce sterling silver coin which would then have printed on one side: "Millennium Miracle 2000 by 2000," and on the other side: Your Name!

The plan was for 2000 people to send John Hagee $2000 dollars each for the next few months so that by the year 2000 Mr. Hagee would be DEBT FREE! Why it’s a "Millennium Miracle"! (Wait a minute, isn’t 2000 people times $2000 each $4,000,000, not $3.5 million dollars? Oh well, a $500,000 error in John’s favor should come in handy for something.)

Each contributor of $2000 would then get a coin commemorating his contribution: "What a precious heirloom that can be passed from one generation to the next honoring your commitment to the Lord" (Emphasis mine.) WHAT A PRECIOUS CROCK...! Do you think the word "hypocrite" would be appropriate one more time?

How stupid do they think the American people are? These are full-grown men. Some of them highly educated people. And yet they shamelessly hawk and huckster their ridiculous religious doctrines, trinkets, and wares over the air waves, like PEDDLERS, in the name of God!

more here: http://www.bible-truths.com/tithing.html
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 9:57am On Oct 15, 2013
Ah dont seem to get wat dese anti tithers issues re,is it dat payin tithe is biblically rong or dey re dont just want pple to pay tithe because dey feel pastors re extortin pple wit it ah just dont get it...pls one of dem should give me a verse in d bible were we were told not not to pay tithe if not dis is solely baseless.. It's quite understandable dat we re no longer under d law but remember tithing was never among d laws it was just a practice Ah rest ma case
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 15, 2013
Elantracey: Ah dont seem to get wat dese anti tithers issues re,is it dat payin tithe is biblically rong or dey re dont just want pple to pay tithe because dey feel pastors re extortin pple wit it ah just dont get it...pls one of dem should give me a verse in d bible were we were told not not to pay tithe if not dis is solely baseless.. It's quite understandable dat we re no longer under d law but remember tithing was never among d laws it was just a practice Ah rest ma case

Can you tell me the verse in the bible that admonishes CHRISTIANS to pay tithe?

2 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Alwaystrue(f): 10:06am On Oct 15, 2013
mbulela: On the other side of the argument. All those preaching against tithe, i also hope your finances are as sold out to God as your anti-tithe sermons? I hope like Abraham you dare not withhold the Isaac of your finances? Knowing that He that gave you Isaac can and will bring him back from the death. Not enough to give left overs and be shouting. Not to tithe!!
Extremes are from the pit of hell.

grin I noticed your first post quoting me was more 'liked' but this second one had just one like....it keeps reflecting the hypocrisy on this thread. Lol.

Surprisingly it is easy for some to relate to 'isaac' of their finances as you posted but cannot relate to other aspects.
Not surprisng at all. It is a matter of the heart indeed. smiley
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by firefox4th(m): 10:16am On Oct 15, 2013
God told me in 2006 'old testament majors on physical things while new testament,spiritual things'.In far back 1996 He also told me 'physical money is meager amount of money ,give money to me' He did not tell me to give tithe !Tithe is part of the imperfections.It has been substituted with a Liberal Heart(life of giving).Tithe is limiting ,in sight of God, life of giving has no limits.Instead of emphasy on tithe , figure, / amount ,RECORDS ,dwell on life of giving most especially ,to the needy in a centrifugal form and needless to say that whatever you are giving must holy.

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by debosky(m): 10:17am On Oct 15, 2013
Alwaystrue: Malachi 3:8
Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In TITHES AND OFFERINGS

Funny how people see nothing wrong with giving their offerings in church and believe they are giving it to God but feel the Tithe is going to man.
Really we now understand what the bible says about Faith.

They have faith to give offerings to God but cannot undertstand how the tithe is also for God. Yet God said TITHES and OFFERINGS. Without faith it is truly impossible to please God.

Actually, the problem is your legalistic thinking and inability to understand scripture in context - what offerings were referred to in Malachi? Are those identical to what is being given today? The account in Malachi was referring to the Levitical offerings - burnt offering, meal offering, peace offering, sin offering and trespass offering. Go and read Leviticus 1-7 for the descriptions.

Do you give those offerings as well along with your tithes today? Or are you engaging in your favourite pastime of pick-and-chooseism by picking tithe and not giving the 5 different offerings above? smiley

Only someone like you would instantly see 'offering' written in Malachi and conclude what people are doing today is identical. Deliver yourself from your law compliance mindset seeking justification for your actions from the law - faith is not attempting to copy what was given in the law.

2 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Zikkyy(m): 10:24am On Oct 15, 2013
alexleo:
Did Jesus condemn tithe?

Did Jesus condemn the law of Moses? Did he really condemn burnt offerings? It is not about condemnation. you don't wait for Jesus to condemn before you know that Christians are not required to tithe.

alexleo:
Did Jesus condemn tithe? Show me. Where he mentioned tithe did he say they should stop paying it? NO. If Jesus came to abolish tithe as you people claim, why didn't he condemn it outrightly as you people do?

Which tithe are you referring to? the tithe Jesus knew about was the one below:.........

Leviticus 27:30-32 (NIV)
30 “‘A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord. 31 Whoever would redeem any of their tithe must add a fifth of the value to it. 32 Every tithe of the herd and flock—every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd’s rod—will be holy to the Lord.

Numbers 18:24 (NIV)
24 Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the Lord. That is why I said concerning them: ‘They will have no inheritance among the Israelites.’”

Condemnation of tithe was not required since nobody was giving 10% of their salary to any pastor at the time. You know very well that nobody here condemn the tithe of the land of Israel smiley

alexleo:
See mathew 23;23-

No need for condemnation. The tithe in Mathew 23:23 was tithe according to the law. Jesus did not condemn the law so why condemn the tithe according to the law? But that is not saying the mosaic law is applicable to Christians today.

what we criticize is the gospel that:
1. tithe is 10% (regardless of the source; whether from prostitu.tion, robbery, 419, salary/wages, profit from business, sale of cocaine on the street to little children, pocket money e.t.c in fact any form of cash inflow.
2. Every 10% belongs to as defined in (1) above belongs to God
3. Paying the 10% defined in (1) above is equivalent to giving a tithe of everything from the land (of Israel)
4. Tithe as defined in (1) above can only be paid to the church/pastor where the tither receive spiritual nourishment (that is if he/she truly gets any).........not like i care, but false gospel is false gospel.
5. failure to pay tithe as defined in (1) above amounts to robbing God as statted in Malachi 3.
6. Payment of tithe as defined in (1) above results in God showering some (un-explainable) blessings on the tither/payer, and these blessings can only be obtained via the act of tithing.
plus plenty more smiley

alexleo:

....Matthew 23 was not about condemning laws, the focus was the crimes/behaviours of the scribes and Pharisees.

alexleo:

Before you abolish something, it must first be instituted. the tithe that was abolished is the tithe according to the law. i.e. the tithe defined in Leviticus 27 and willed to the Levite in Numbers 18. The tithe of salary and wages or profit from your business was never required by God, so therefore it cannot be abolished by God/Christ. You can continue paying 'dashing' your pastor 10% of ya salary wink

3 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Zikkyy(m): 10:28am On Oct 15, 2013
cntabs:
Is it wrong to support the work of God with at least 10% of my income?

My brother there is nothing wrong with you supporting the work of God with at least 10% of your income. what is wrong is you thinking that the support of 10% was done in compliance with the tithing law issued by Moses and referred to in Malachi 3.
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by debosky(m): 10:33am On Oct 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

Did Jesus condemn the law of Moses? Did he really condemn burnt offerings? It is not about condemnation. you don't wait for Jesus to condemn before you know that Christians are not required to tithe.

Did Jesus condemn the wearing of clothes of dissimilar materials? Leviticus 19:19
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by natkey: 10:34am On Oct 15, 2013

7 Likes

Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by Zikkyy(m): 10:36am On Oct 15, 2013
Bidam:
You also should reason scriptures and not think with your anus,the pharisees were the ONLY SECT that believed there will be a Resurrection.

Are you now saying Jesus also 'believed' there will be a resurrection who dey resurrect btw? grin
Re: Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches by debosky(m): 10:41am On Oct 15, 2013
One trait I’ve noticed is that those preaching tithe from Malachi 3 like to imply that they are ‘surrendered’ to God by being able to give 10%, and those against teaching on this basis are reluctant to part with their money.

This is an emotional trick that has been used on many for a long time. It is the height of deception to equate giving tithe based on wrong teaching to being surrendered to God. They would rather rely on a false teaching to compel people to give than take the ‘risk’ of telling people the truth. This class of people don’t really trust the power of Jesus to actually lead an individual to giving beyond the limits of percentages to meet needs. They prefer their man-made creation of monetary, monthly tithe.

You don’t need deceitful and twisted teaching in order to get people to give. Paul did not need to teach tithing to get people to give! Instead he referred to Jehovah Jireh the provider able to meet all our needs. No twisting or deception involved!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

What Is The Funniest And Most Unnecessary Testimony You Have Heard In Church. / 10 Ways To Enjoy Christmas When You Are Broke / Pastor Adeboye: Naira Will Be Powerful Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 236
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.