Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,038 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:08 PM

New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant (65056 Views)

ATM Scam: See The New Method Used By Fraudsters / If You Know Any Filling Station Selling Above Pump Price(n87) Call These Numbers / Come And Learn New Tricks That Cashed Me Over $400 On Fiverr In 5weeks. FREE!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by ifenadi(m): 1:47pm On Oct 15, 2013
We all know their old trick where they will not reset the meter to start from zero when they want to sell petrol to you. Their new method is what baffled me and this is rampant in Asaba area.

The first time it happened to me, I thought it was actually a mistake as claimed by the attendant until It repeated several times. I visited a filling station in Asaba(name withheld) and there were two persons serving at the pump. The first person asked me, "how much do you want to buy" and I hold her 5 thousand naira. The 2nd guy proceeded to fill my tank resetting the meter to zero and not bothering to confirm the price I want to buy from the lady or me.To my surprise this guy stopped at 1000 naira and when I asked him why he stopped he said he thought I said I wanted to buy 1000 naira( I wondered where he got that message from cus he did not ask me or the lady whom I told I want to buy 5000k).

He then pressed some buttons at the meter as if he wanted to reset the meter to zero, meanwhile the thing still reads 1000 naira before he proceeded(if you do not look well you not see the 1 in front of the zeros). Again at 4000 naira He stopped . I now shouted , bros I told you I wanted to buy 5000 naira. He said that if I add the 4k to 1k he gave me initially that it will be 5k. I was confused but when I insisted that he didn't reset the meter. He quietly completed the remaining 1k. This happened again in the same filling station and that was when I realized it was their game.

I decided to change filling station and to my greatest surprise they use the same trick in Asaba and so many people are falling victims especially those that do not like to come down from their car while buying fuel.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Mnewton(m): 1:58pm On Oct 15, 2013
One need to be very careful with some of those attendants....i want to suggest something.....firstly dnt sit inside ur car to buy fuel like a boss, make it a point of duty nd responsibility to highlight 4rm ur car weneva u wanna buy some fuel...secondly, always insist they zero d meter before any transaction is made...3rdly do u know dat 1 liter in some fuelng station is as good as 1/2liter...to overcome dis problem always measure either with a 2 liter container to confirm d uniqueness of their litre before u buy in larger quantity....hope it helps..

21 Likes

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 15, 2013
Just pay with your ATM Card, that way, they wont get 1 naira of your money, their loot will go to the management.

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by ifenadi(m): 2:19pm On Oct 15, 2013
Billyonaire: Just pay with your ATM Card, that way, they wont get 1 naira of your money, their loot will go to the management.

Most of the pumps in Naija are not card ready!

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by omon24(m): 2:30pm On Oct 15, 2013
This is serious! Just wen u tot u had crackd dis ppl, they wil crack anoda. Fraud and coruption in all sector.Tanx 4 d info. Bro.

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Nobody: 2:54pm On Oct 15, 2013
This is actually true, it happened to me in Warri some early March, i stopped at a filling station just to get petrol of 1500 that will enable me get to NNPC filling station so that i can get my tank filled at a considerable rate and the guy went ahead, ran the machine as if he was putting some petrol in my tank just because i was looking away i didn't notice, unknown to him that my meter was already on reserve, after driving for about 3mins my petrol meter still didn't rise, i had to revise back to the service station, by this time i didn't know my friend who was with me was already furious about the whole thing, but he didn't say a word until we got there, on reaching there i asked the guy that how much petrol did he put in my tank, and he said 500, i was shocked, before i could say another word, my friend has given this guy a very hot slap that threw him to the ground, it was the intervention of the Manager that rescued this guy that day, we had to demand for our money back and they gladly gave it back.

19 Likes

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by ifenadi(m): 3:07pm On Oct 15, 2013
omon24: This is serious! Just wen u tot u had crackd dis ppl, they wil crack anoda. Fraud and coruption in all sector.Tanx 4 d info. Bro.

You are welcome
Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by obongtunji: 4:07pm On Oct 15, 2013
I had similar experience 3 times, but turst me i didn't fall for any, let me tell you how the last one happened in Abuja. I came out of the car as soon as I stopped my car, the attendant asked me "Oga how much fuel" I told him full tank, after resetting the pump he was actually pumping the fuel but gently because he didn't press the nozzle very well, so it was dispensing very slowly, I knew he was up to something before you know it another woman came to ask if I wanted injector cleaner and I told her no but she engaged me in irrelevant stories, after the guy dispensed #100, he removed the nozzle and placed it back to the pump claiming they changed the power source from generator to phcn, I saw it clearly that it was #100. After resetting the pump he later dispensed #4000 fuel he now said including the first one which was #1000, that was where I started shouting on him and told him I was aware of all his tricks, he couldn't say a word, his colleague in crime started begging me to pay what I said he dispensed, but I made sure I talked sense into their heads. Please guys you should watch out when you want to buy fuel........lop

16 Likes

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Zaynee63: 8:41pm On Oct 15, 2013
I think it's already an old trick. I must have suffered from it a couple of times before I caught a Mobil Agege Station guy do it to me in 2012.
People should just shine their eye. When are we gonna start doing self service like them oyibo people sef?

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Sermwell(m): 10:54am On Oct 16, 2013
Wat shud I do wit dis piece of info since I neither av a car nor buy fuel at d filling station?

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by nagoma(m): 10:58am On Oct 16, 2013
Not so new. It has been happening in Abuja for the last 5 years. The station directly opposite the Hilton were experts.

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Kslib(m): 11:01am On Oct 16, 2013
Some of those attendants are bloody criminals..

That was how i went to a certain station in Warri(name withheld) to buy fuel. There was no line,so i just dropped my gallon beside the pumping machine. She(the attendant) asked me how much and i told her 1k and looked away while i was busy operating my phone. I didnt bother to look at the figure she typed on the machine cos i trusted them---- i have never been cheated before at the station ..

The machine stopped pumping and i brought out my wallet to pay her,only to notice that what she pumped was not even half the size of what i normally bought for 1k. I was shocked and went further to ask her if the price of fuel has increased and she said "NO'"! . I pointed at the gallon and asked her what was inside and she confirmed it was fuel while she was sheepishly smiling.

I use that same gallon to buy all the time, so i know where a fuel worth 1k should stop at. I politely asked her to amend her mistake cos i cant buy what she sold for me at 600, not to even talk of 1k..

She was still smiling and said "Na 1k fuel be that"... I was now angry.
I looked at her boldly and said "Shey una manager dey office abi?".. I noticed her her facial expression changed immediately i mentioned manger. I just pretended as if i wanted to enter the building to go meet the manger while i brought out my phone as if i was calling someone.

Like magic, the babe brought out the pump and started adding fuel.lol. I turned back and approached her telling her that what she added wasn't enough cos i know the normal gauge. She wanted to argue but i cut her off and asked her why she added fuel to my gallon if what she initially gave me was the normal gauge.

I quickly switched to big English and threatened to call the manger and sue the filling station if she jokes with me. It worked, the babe brought out the pump again and started adding fuel little by little as if i was buying garri. She kept adding the fuel until it reached my normal gauge and i told her it was enough.

I called her a thief, scammer and threatened to arrest her( i can lie sha grin). You could see guilt written all over her face as i spoke to her and how bad this habit of her's might land her in big trouble.

I paid her and collected my fuel.. The funny thing is that she looked much older than me but said nothing when i was lashing her. I guess the guilt and shame ate her up. I hate it when people think they can cheat everybody and get away with it..
All izz well!

64 Likes

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Aromas: 11:01am On Oct 16, 2013
grin well, lemme laugh in china "chikochikachikochika" my country people won burst my stomach ooooo
Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by misled: 11:02am On Oct 16, 2013
Cashless. cashless, cashless, When will we start to dispense our fuel by ourselves. The safest.
Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Djtm(m): 11:03am On Oct 16, 2013
Nigerians are just as corrupt as their leaders!! Sometimes, I wonder if the people who come here to rain curses on their leaders calling them theives and all sort of names are saints!

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by nekaa(f): 11:03am On Oct 16, 2013
Nigerians......
Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by doctokwus: 11:03am On Oct 16, 2013
Op u spoilt this ur narrative wen u withheld d name(s) of d fuel stations.Whc kind of cowardice is dat,u claim u were cheated by an organisation,but still scared to mention d name& u expect things to change!I don't understand this kind of reasoning o.

43 Likes

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by dani1luv: 11:04am On Oct 16, 2013
Lmao grin
Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Seequadry(m): 11:05am On Oct 16, 2013
Mumy joy no dey cheat #blackmarket4life
Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 16, 2013
End Time Fuel

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 16, 2013
Mnewton: Kai.....dis is what we call calapogonium mucunoides...hmmn what a procubiens

Its not a must to comment. If you must commnet, kindly drop those retardeε̲̣̣̣̥n behaviour.

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by goldfish80(m): 11:06am On Oct 16, 2013
This is not new. I've fallen a victim twice to dubious MRS fuel attendants on a lovely sunday afternoon. At gun point,I can't patronize any MRS gas station.
Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by DEngineer(m): 11:07am On Oct 16, 2013
Hmmmm, human being sha. karshen duniya.

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by lonelydora: 11:07am On Oct 16, 2013
A guy tried this with me in PH at Oando b4 Refinery junction along Eleme road. He didn't reset the pump which was at 1200 and started filling my tank. When he stopped at 4k, I just started my car to drive out without paying him. It took the intervention of the Manager b4 I gave him the 2800. Yeye people.

41 Likes

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by QMark: 11:08am On Oct 16, 2013
Billyonaire: Just pay with your ATM Card, that way, they wont get 1 naira of your money, their loot will go to the management.

What part of NYC are you? Cos I don't know any card ready pump in Ogba.

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by hypenation: 11:08am On Oct 16, 2013
ifenadi: We all know their old trick where they will not reset the meter to start from zero when they want to sell petrol to you. Their new method is what baffled me and this is rampant in Asaba area.

The first time it happened to me, I thought it was actually a mistake as claimed by the attendant until It repeated several times. I visited a filling station in Asaba(name withheld) and there were two persons serving at the pump. The first person asked me, "how much do you want to buy" and I hold her 5 thousand naira. The 2nd guy proceeded to fill my tank resetting the meter to zero and not bothering to confirm the price I want to buy from the lady or me.To my surprise this guy stopped at 1000 naira and when I asked him why he stopped he said he thought I said I wanted to buy 1000 naira( I wondered where he got that message from cus he did not ask me or the lady whom I told I want to buy 5000k).

He then pressed some buttons at the meter as if he wanted to reset the meter to zero, meanwhile the thing still reads 1000 naira before he proceeded(if you do not look well you not see the 1 in front of the zeros). Again at 4000 naira He stopped . I now shouted , bros I told you I wanted to buy 5000 naira. He said that if I add the 4k to 1k he gave me initially that it will be 5k. I was confused but when I insisted that he didn't reset the meter. He quietly completed the remaining 1k. This happened again in the same filling station and that was when I realized it was their game.

I decided to change filling station and to my greatest surprise they use the same trick in Asaba and so many people are falling victims especially those that do not like to come down from their car while buying fuel.
It is a act of God

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by DEngineer(m): 11:09am On Oct 16, 2013
Oga OP, u want people to be cautios, you did not mention the name of the station and location.

Please specify the details asap

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by sunday478(m): 11:10am On Oct 16, 2013
Thanks for the info
Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Profidada: 11:11am On Oct 16, 2013
The real trick is not the meter, but the flow rate. They programmed the meter in such a way that the flow rate would trailed the metering.

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 16, 2013
And everyday we call our politicians thieves. These petrol pump attendants will do the same thing as our present politicians if they get there. So corruption and criminality is a Nigerian problem.

Shine your eyes people.

Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Nobody: 11:20am On Oct 16, 2013
how?
Profidada: The real trick is not the meter, but the flow rate. They programmed the meter in such a way that the flow rate would trailed the metering.
Re: New Tricks Used By Filling Station's Pump Attendant by Nobody: 11:22am On Oct 16, 2013
Eeeh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard / Is Folarin Alakija & Nazanin Jafarian's White Wedding The Most Lavish Ever? / “Next Cash And Carry” To Open In Port Harcourt, Nigeria’s Biggest Mall (Photos)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63