Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,942 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why (21473 Views)

Women With Rich Husbands Have Stronger Orgasm –study / Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play / High School Bullying...A Victim Or The Oppressor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by jpphilips(m): 10:08am On Oct 18, 2013
infonubia:
All types of abuse, be it physical or verbal, stigmatizes the victim. You can imagine what these kids go through. Another lesson here is for parents to be a part of their children's life. Continually reminder their kids how important the children are. This will hopefully build self confidence. Also, be sure keep stay abreast of what's going on in your children's life.

this advise is worthless, life is not fair to anyone and anything, pray you don't have a weakling that cant face his peers but can stand the pains of death.
such individual is a coward and i dare not pride in calling that person my child, if you cant stand abuse, how can u stand life's hostilities? how can you stand series of heart breaks along the way? how can they stand the disappointments of life? what if war breaks out like syria, afghan, iraq, egypt e.t.c. then a grown 12yr old stands in the middle of the street confused like a chicken.

they mostly end up being alcoholics and drug addicts because they think they need an external influence to be real people.

at 12yrs her mates in Biafra/liberia are facing the Nigerian and Liberian forces head on in defense of the home front.
those sissies don't deserve to live in our society, they make life look like a walk in the park, they are a distraction to courageous and serious people. there is a reason why "the survival of the fittest is a general rule."

1 Like

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Trippledots(m): 10:25am On Oct 18, 2013
i'll just say its life....
You see, nothing in this twisted world is purfect. Take me to america and i enjoy to the fullest all the human rights a functioning govt has to offer, but what does it produce alongside?? lilly livered, psycho-weak, socio-disconnected homo sapiens. Bring me back to the equator; the sun bakes me for good, life is a daily war and survival instincts far supercede improved quality of life and living. dont we too have the dead to testify to our sub-human nature too? brings ALUU 4 to mind right? but at d end you become a toughened soldier of fate. its just life doing its own russian roulette on everyone....btw RIP to the dead.
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Ishilove: 10:26am On Oct 18, 2013
Okija_juju: May God forgive me for what I did to Oghenero in School.. I gave that boy 6 years of hell.

Anybody who says that bullying does not affect Nigerian Kids is dead wrong.
I and my crew once verbally bullied a boy (a new Transfer) in secondary school so bad that he tried everything including fighting us to make us stop but it didnt work because I was stronger than him physically. I recall him bringing his mother to school to beg us to stop to no avail. I remember the principal punishing me and my crew so bad one time and it only encouraged us.. The kid had to leave. And I never even knew his name..

I hope he is okay though.. I use to call him E'ze Mmuo (cos he had the most fuc'ked dentition in the world).. Everybody started calling him E'ze Mmuo because of me.. grin

Bullying is bad..
I was the chief verbal Bully in sec school..

I pray Karma does not visit my sins on my kids.. [/b]
You are lucky the boy didn't come from my family. My brothers would have simply organised all the weed smoking thugs in the area to beat shege out of you and your crew. No one ever messed with us. I come from a family of Lions and Lionesses grin cool
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Ishilove: 10:31am On Oct 18, 2013
Sweetlemon:

As for the bullying part, most internet bullies here on NL for instance are actually victims of bullying themselves in their real worlds. Most of them are introverts and this may have been as a result of not being accepted by their peer groups, thereby making them to crawl into their shells and spend all their time online.

I can't imagine been a victim of online bullying. It's so strange undecided. How can a total stranger bully me via the internet?? It boggles the mind because I give as good as I receive. Fire for fire is my motto.

Strange undecided

3 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Dewze(m): 10:31am On Oct 18, 2013
Students in African(Nigerian) schools hardly get bullied by their peers (except maybe in the universities). They are mostly bullied by their school seniors.

If you do your research well you would find out that most of these foreign children that commit suicides were bullied by their peers and not by their seniors. Peer pressure will push a child to suicide much quicker than being bullied by older students.

Also i think white people are generally more sensitive and emotional than blacks.

3 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by buoye1(m): 10:37am On Oct 18, 2013
Aje pako brain
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Tonylyte(m): 10:38am On Oct 18, 2013
Deschil: YES, YES & YES!!! I gave up when I saw the posts on here! It is NOT the same thing...how many of you have had naked pictures of yourself posted on Facebook and twitter and had everyone in your school see them and burst into laughter as you walked into school That is a simple example of the KIND of bullying that goes on...
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Daystar18: 10:45am On Oct 18, 2013
Such a saaaaad story. But two factors are usually at play when a situation like this occurs. The major factor is a culture in which suicide is regarded as a cry for help as opposed to the African concept of suicide as an abomination. In other words, the American culture sympatizes with suicide victims but the African culture is generallyangry with them. The second factor is poor self~esteem which could stem from all sorts of psychological issues. Many victims tend to cover this up but sooner or later they are unmasked when they cannot stand up to bullies. Bullying is part of life and it can never go away.
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Trippledots(m): 10:48am On Oct 18, 2013
gboss4sure: This american kids self. American parents should register their children in a Nigerian school for one term so that they will pass through the mind training stage and bullying stage which will make them immune to bully.

Unpon all the igbo, youroba, hausa bashing on NL, no one has commited sucide, Nigerians experience bullying right from the nurse that help give birth to them to the secondary school, the everyday life in Nigeria one must come across some type of bullying, if not agbero drivers abusing themselves and their mothers, it will be the policeman or woman wanting to collect roger or that army man wanting to show off his power.

You took the word right outta my mouth. i remember a woman who lived close to my former school(uniben) back then. i went visiting and i was shocked to see these average looking, typical edo looking kids speak with an accent. i was forced to ask questions and i was told that they were born and raised in yankee for some years, up till about age 6 or so after which their parents practically deported them (lmao) back to naija to come and get some toughening experiences...and i must tell they were fast learners. i just smiled at such move...to me that was a wise one from the parents.
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Tonylyte(m): 10:51am On Oct 18, 2013
Deschil: YES, YES & YES!!! I gave up when I saw the posts on here! It is NOT the same thing...how many of you have had naked pictures of yourself posted on Facebook and twitter and had everyone in your school see them and burst into laughter as you walked into school That is a simple example of the KIND of bullying that goes on...
lol, i was in jss3, wen one stdnt ate hs school fees, they brought hm out b4 us In assembly ground an unclad him, whlst hs parent were there. He stood b4 us 4 almst 20mins....same boy neva committed suicide, he neva changed skool, he went wit us until we graduated 4m secndary school.....he's a big boy nw. I dnt support bullyin, buh u cnt escape it.
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by troy20(m): 10:52am On Oct 18, 2013
Pace$etter:
Abeg no mind them. If they criminalise bullying then most children who live in face me slap you should have been forgotten in jail. I remember in pry school when i was beaten at least 5 times in a week and the remaining two means daddy isnt around. I remembered the day i was beaten and blood came from my eyes. Did i died? Did i commit suicide? Infact it made me stronger. Waking up at midnight to be beaten in the school. I just look back and laugh. Remebered beating somebody and he cant even eat during easter just because he wanted to use our bowl for ball. I just laugh it off now when i think of it.
dude i can relate to that midnight beating by seniors in d boarding house.we would b woken up at night n lined up like captured slaves of war and senior students (who got pissd by d school authorities) as they wish will take turns with different objects on us.it waz terrible i remember running into a nepa wire connectd 4rm d pole 2 d ground just 2 b on time 4 my punishment i kno no reason y n it bounced me bak with force cause i waz stil sleepy at night.and no teacher or people living close cause d school waz located inside a deep forest.gss bwari abuja waz worse than an army barrack then.i waz always scared n nervous bt it hardened me up.i became murderous on any percievd inferior or even superior then.
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by jpphilips(m): 11:01am On Oct 18, 2013
Pace$etter:
Abeg no mind them. If they criminalise bullying then most children who live in face me slap you should have been forgotten in jail. I remember in pry school when i was beaten at least 5 times in a week and the remaining two means daddy isnt around. I remembered the day i was beaten and blood came from my eyes. Did i died? Did i commit suicide? Infact it made me stronger. Waking up at midnight to be beaten in the school. I just look back and laugh. Remebered beating somebody and he cant even eat during easter just because he wanted to use our bowl for ball. I just laugh it off now when i think of it.

NO YOU DEATH grin grin[quote author=Tonylyte][/quote]

How did they get your Naked picture? even in some Nigerian boarding schools, they do w@nk!ng competition where the whole gangs gather to test who has the longest expulsion, who cares if you are taking pictures? it used to be a thing of pride.
there were no phones during our own time and camera was still a luxury so i cant say how one may feel at the time, however, for Nigerian kids, it will be difficult to torment them with such, save for the ajebota.

sadly, na the kpako guys they marry the Ajebo girls.
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Okijajuju1(m): 11:09am On Oct 18, 2013
Ishilove:
You are lucky the boy didn't come from my family. My brothers would have simply organised all the weed smoking thugs in the area to beat shege out of you and your crew. No one ever messed with us. I come from a family of Lions and Lionesses grin cool

My dear, No worry...

I didnt attend those porshe schools o!! Una for beat me which is fine, but shey you go change school after your brothers go, abi them go follow you dey come class? grin

Thinking of it now, Eze Mmuo's mother actually had tears in her eyes that day she came to school to plead with us to stop.. sad

I'm truly ashamed of myself now that I think of it. She was an elderly woman and didnt even do the normal challenge or threats that most mothers would have done. She actually begged us to stop. Jesus!! I was one mean arsehole as a young lad sha..

I guess I picked on others because I didnt want others to pick on me. However, I got it bad in the University. I remember how my roomate once yabbed me so badly that I cried. People were laffing that day so hard that they were falling over each other. One boy actually choked on his own laughter.. #Warri Boys are not to be messed with.. grin
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by rabzy: 11:15am On Oct 18, 2013
victorv12: I'm laughing my 9ja laugh over this cyber-bullying news, It's funny. But African kids are worst off. We're being bullied at home and in school, which eventually on the long run causes psychological problems . The effect of our own bullying is even more dangerous than the ones in the west. They have psychiatric institutions to attend to their own case but in our own, that doesn't happen. Our own effect of bullying reflects when we are get older. We may not commit suicide, but we know how to oppress ourselves with bitterness.

That's why we have a leader that can buy Two amoured BMW cars at once to protect herself. Our own bullying generates into greed, bitterness, heartlessness, oppression and so many ish I can't find words for. Our bullying piles up, that's why our leaders left us conveniently to live in darkness. Most of our leaders are still psychologically traumatized till date because of the teenage or juvenile delinquency they went through in the past. What make stowaway kid wanted to flee the country?! The boy must be put under psychological check 24-7 till the age of 25... As long that boy is still in Nigeria, he will always want to flee! Our own bullying is more pathetic than the ones in the west, that's why we have bullies has leaders that torment us day and night. And the bitterness most Nigerians are carrying presently is worst than the ones in the west...it must trickle-down...It's a cycle!

'our bullying generates into greed'. Where did you get that from? How can you defend such a statement? Does it mean in a society where there is no bullying, then there is no corruption?

Greed is greed, stealing is stealing. if we should accept your premise, then it means a thief can also say he became a thief because he was bullied while growing up. That is total hogwash.
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Tonylyte(m): 11:46am On Oct 18, 2013
jp philips:

NO YOU DEATH grin grin

How did they get your Naked picture? even in some Nigerian boarding schools, they do w@nk!ng competition where the whole gangs gather to test who has the longest expulsion, who cares if you are taking pictures? it used to be a thing of pride.
there were no phones during our own time and camera was still a luxury so i cant say how one may feel at the time, however, for Nigerian kids, it will be difficult to torment them with such, save for the ajebota.

sadly, na the kpako guys they marry the Ajebo girls.
lol, the unfaithful man and woman that were unclad in benue state. Am sure if it was in the west they would had committed suicide after the event.
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Philipmems(m): 12:05pm On Oct 18, 2013
Simply because African tradition says what doesn't kill you make you stronger...
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by binhozie(m): 12:44pm On Oct 18, 2013
When your mother dey swallow strong eBa, amala, hot beans with you in the womb. Is that not bullying? Tough skin before you are even shat out
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by debbydominic(f): 1:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
Have you forgotten Anita Horgan incident some years back? when her unclad picture was in every newspaper and the internet,did she kill herself?noooo.she moved on with her life as if nothing happened. Take it or leave it, Nigerians can withstand any form of bullying. I was bullied left right and center as a child and a teenager.I was bullied at home,in church,at school just everywhere. I was called all sorts of names to pimples garden,figure 1 etc.I had to be strong and now am so better than all of them that called me names because they cant just believe how I transformed to be a beautiful lady. They were busy bullying me but I developed strength by working on my self internally by doing a lot of reading and researching.Trust me people that bully others have inferiority complex.

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

I completely disagree with you. Its quite funny to claim that the reason nigerian's are much tougher emotionally is because we have been bullied and beaten down by the government and the society. There are far so many factors and top of them is:

1. The complete and utter lack of a line of authority in American schools. Children here are able to say and do things that we would have found unthinkable as kids... we had teachers and parents to fear... in the US they fear nothing.

2. Proliferation of social media - unlike 1992, kids in schools today spend more than 90% of their time behind a screen of some kind. Nairaland is an example of how being able to hide behind a screen can turn a timid mouse into the loudest lion. Children in the US no longer have the opportunities we had to play outside and TRULY socialize with their friends and neighbours. Today it is all about how many likes you can garner on facebook and how many followers you have on twitter. Back in the day we had REAL friends, today American kids have lists of faceless goons.

3. Medication - As a kid, the only drugs i knew were panadol and chloroquine. Today our kids are drugged up from birth till death. Why wont their brain chemistry be different?

4. Glorification of suicide victims - A kid kills himself and what does the American society do? Plaster their photos all over, hold 1000-man candle-light vigils while calling them the meekest lambs on earth (even by those who only knew them as a screen name). Unfortunately, US kids have learnt that one of the best ways to gain notoriety is to kill yourself. In naija, the mere fear of bringing shame to your family by killing yourself is enough deterrent.

Lastly, before we start spouting away thoughtlessly, let us take a trip down memory lane just 50 yrs ago. How many american kids were killing themselves then? Where was the bullying? Was the country beating down their psyche then?

You have listed the reasons why the kids in America kill themselves and I have listed reasons why we would NOT kill ourselves over mere taunting on cyberspace or in our day to day interactions . It would be quite shady to deny or insist that the Nigerian environment you find yourself has no bearing on how we see life and how it shapes us, same way the American environment has shaped their kids as you listed. Your post is just an addition to mine and not one that would warrant an argument from me.

2 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Nobody: 2:02pm On Oct 18, 2013
Sweetlemon:

Actually, you are very wrong.
Victims of rape over here don't just put on their panties and walk away as if nothing happened. The only reason why they keep mum is because they are scared of the stigma associated with rape over here and being blamed for the rape! Of course a rape victim here will not commit suicide, but you cannot even begin to start to imagine the trauma she will go through afterwards. The empty feelings, the feeling of being haunted, that helpless feeling you get when you wish there was something you could have done to stop it, that had-I-known feeling, that maybe-I'm-only-good-enough-for sex feeling you get when you wonder why you were raped. This can pyschologically affect a rape victim so badly that it destroys her self esteem and a woman without herself esteem is better off dead, I tell you!
As for the bullying part, most internet bullies here on NL for instance are actually victims of bullying themselves in their real worlds. Most of them are introverts and this may have been as a result of not being accepted by their peer groups, thereby making them to crawl into their shells and spend all their time online.

Contrary to what you think, Nigerians are NOT strong people. We are NOT happy people. We only like to pretend that all is well and because we are religious, and we believe in miracles, it gives us the hope for a better tomorrow. If you want to test how frustrated an average Nigerian is, step on someone's toes in a crowded bus stop during a fuel scarcity period.

If you read correctly I alluded to the shame these people feel. The problem now is if these people and the society consider it an INJUSTICE as much as they do with murder cases. A society that come up with arguments like 'what was the girl doing at his house at 8pm, what did she wear, why was she in a hotel' is not a society that understands injustice. Cynthia Isokogu the girl that was raped and killed in a hotel would not have gotten the nation's attention if a murder was NOT attached to the crime. If the girl was alive she would have hidden it that such ever happened to her.

As per you last paragraph, this is akin to putting words in my mouth. I never called Nigerians strong people and alluded to the aggression we pose to scenarios like you painted instead of commuting suicide.
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by anthony500(m): 2:42pm On Oct 18, 2013
I would rather kill the fuckinbullies than commit suicide
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by justplainpaul(m): 2:51pm On Oct 18, 2013
I can`t count how many times i got a broken nose when i was in junior sec schl. i fought my seniors everyday. my high schl wears white uniform and almost everyday i`d had blood on them. who doesnt know G.S.S. Tudun wada in zone 4, Abuja. everyday was war. no seniority, na who get power pass. now tell me who won bully who?

1 Like

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by achi4u(m): 2:51pm On Oct 18, 2013
not here in Africa.
The kai slap wey I receives from secondary school never heal self. Even my parents no care self grin
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by IceSplash(f): 3:06pm On Oct 18, 2013
i remember i had to form being ill in oda to avoid school lool.bullying is kinda d norm in secondary school
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Ishilove: 3:41pm On Oct 18, 2013
Okija_juju:

My dear, No worry...

I didnt attend those porshe schools o!! Una for beat me which is fine, but shey you go change school after your brothers go, abi them go follow you dey come class? grin

Thinking of it now, Eze Mmuo's mother actually had tears in her eyes that day she came to school to plead with us to stop.. sad

I'm truly ashamed of myself now that I think of it. She was an elderly woman and didnt even do the normal challenge or threats that most mothers would have done. She actually begged us to stop. Jesus!! I was one mean arsehole as a young lad sha..

I guess I picked on others because I didnt want others to pick on me. However, I got it bad in the University. I remember how my roomate once yabbed me so badly that I cried. People were laffing that day so hard that they were falling over each other. One boy actually choked on his own laughter.. #Warri Boys are not to be messed with.. grin
Karma is a byatch
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by hunter21(m): 4:03pm On Oct 18, 2013
troy20:
bt it hardened me up.i became murderous on any percievd inferior or even superior then.
Here we go, is that a consolation
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 18, 2013
Why she kill herself on 9th september(my bday)?, 10th would hav been a beta day.

As for the bullying stuff,i was also bullied when young,i started gyming and soon became one of the strongest dudes in class and after dat no one messed arnd wit me, so to me its no big deal
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Joshthefirst(m): 4:22pm On Oct 18, 2013
Okija_juju:

My dear, No worry...

grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin

we need more expressive smileys on nl.
angry
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by smileoly(f): 5:06pm On Oct 18, 2013
Since the position of God has been replaced by the "its ur life" a child or teen thinks it is his/her right to do anytin they want with their life. All life is God's and should not be taken no matter the depression or situation
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by NativeBoy: 6:03pm On Oct 18, 2013
Because we have more important things to worry about. This is one of the reasons I am proud if my upbringing in Nigeria. Both male and female, it makes you tough mentally and ready for the harsh realities of life. You realize that who said this or that isn't going to put food in your stomach or clothes on your back or a roof over your head.

Even in the US just a decade or so ago, bullying was a nonissue. It was part of earning your stripes as you were maturing. However just like the UK, the US has become a nanny state where kids are mollycuddled.

Look, bullying is wrong but that's not the issue here. The issue is that many kids growing up in the affluence of US have become mentally weak and many are even on drugs for one thing or the other. They cannot cope with life. Somewhere in Africa is an 11 year old girl whose parents have died and now shoulders the responsibility if caring for her two or three younger siblings. One must ask why she doesn't commit suicide.
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by bayounce(m): 8:02pm On Oct 18, 2013
Bullying is just like fun to we Africans, it is our culture, we africans are born to be bullyed, it's why life continues

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? / She Doesn't Love Him, But He Doesn't Believe In Divorce. / Challenges Of A Single Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.