Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,800 members, 7,862,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 09:55 PM

Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State (38199 Views)

Jarus-sponsored Buhari Jingle For Kwara State / A Thread For Kwara State Citizens And Inhabitants / Tony Tetuila Declares For Kwara State House Of Assembly Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by macof(m): 8:32am On Oct 21, 2013
lertee:
Hehehehe,even from history,oduduwa himself was a saudi arabian. So yorubas are arabs. undecided

Yoruba has nothing to do with Arab
Our origin is more likely to be kemet

And Oduduwa's birth place would forever be a mystery
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by macof(m): 8:34am On Oct 21, 2013
shymexx:

Bwahahahahaha.

Yes, we the Ijebu's were Arabs before modern-day pale-skinned Arabs. Their race started probably during the 23th dynasty in Egypt, however, we existed before them.

Anyway, we the Ijebu's used to live in Palestine and we were the Jebusites of yore. Migrated to Waddai, before coming to present day Nigeria, with our Itsekiri brothers. We're NOT Yoruba's. Perhaps, that's why a lot of pretentious Yoruba's hate us. grin cool

No one would follow u to argue ur history but Note: ur Oba is Yoruba.

I consider bini, isekiri, ilaje to be distant Yoruba, Ijebu also. We have adopted you long ago grin
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by macof(m): 8:41am On Oct 21, 2013
Afam4eva:
This is ignorant(no offense)...

What's Yoruba culture and religion. So, the Yorubas that are Christians and Muslims today are not Yorubas? Who're you to determine what is Yoruba and what is not Yoruba?

A true Yoruba is one that possess the "omoluabi" concept.

Total patriotism to your people, mental independence and freedom from foreign sire.

Now most Yoruba Christians and Muslims don't posses that
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Afam4eva(m): 8:46am On Oct 21, 2013
I wish Jarus and other Kwarans would lend a voice to this issue. I think it's their choice to make and not anyone else telling them that they're not Yoruba. It's only someone with superiority complex in the Yoruba fraternity that will tell another Yoruba man what he is and what he's not. Is an Ijebu more Yoruba than an Offa native? Abi, is South-West the default Yoruba territory?
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by tomakint: 8:47am On Oct 21, 2013
Katsumoto:
To ensure that development spreads to all parts, I believe that various areas should be strategic capitals. Lagos of course will be economic capital, Ogun industrial, Ekiti/Ondo - academic, Ife/Osun - Spiritual, Ibadan - administrative, etc.
Brilliant suggestions, but you and I know that should we split today the battle for a Yoruba Country capital will be source fro Ibadan, Abeokuta and Akure that is if a little 'kiriji war' will not occur between leaders!
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by 0monnakoda: 8:50am On Oct 21, 2013
Afam4eva: I wish Jarus and other Kwarans would lend a voice to this issue. I think it's their choice to make and not anyone else telling them that they're not Yoruba. It's only someone with superiority complex in the Yoruba fraternity that will tell another Yoruba man what he is and what he's not. Is an Ijebu more Yoruba than an Offa native? Abi, is South-West the default Yoruba territory?
Who is this one
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 8:53am On Oct 21, 2013
tomakint:
Brilliant suggestions, but you and I know that should we split today the battle for a Yoruba Country capital will be source fro Ibadan, Abeokuta and Akure that is if a little 'kiriji war' will not occur between leaders!
Akure my foot. Ibadan is most likely
They might even create a new city.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by drdams: 8:55am On Oct 21, 2013
It might jst be returned to d former administrative capital of western region - Ibadan, the cap fit it historically and geographically if the concept of Abuja as FCT is followed (Centralized).
Kiriji war wudnt re occur, democracy will take its place this time.
tomakint:
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 21, 2013
tomakint:
ibadan would have it
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by macof(m): 9:07am On Oct 21, 2013
lertee:
I see,let's assume there is yoruba or oodua republic,who then rules or which state becomes the headquater?

Should be Ibadan

Ibadan would be made a separate province from Oyo state.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:40am On Oct 21, 2013
0monnakoda: I think they'd make a good couple
No, our daughter won't marry an nna like Altruth.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Femolacaster(m): 9:53am On Oct 21, 2013
greatdonmikel:
A thinking fellow.
The father of all congresses is around the corner and we are all expected to converge @ D LEVEL OF AFRIKA AMPHI theatre ......
GREAT IFE!
Greatdonmikel and orlando, so you are Great ife? Do u know "Google'' ( former Awo hall chairman) ? I think he is the present president of kwara students.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 21, 2013
Femolacaster:
Greatdonmikel and orlando, so you are Great ife? Do u know "Google'' ( former Awo hall chairman) ? I think he is the present president of kwara students.
V.P @ the National Level
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Desola(f): 10:13am On Oct 21, 2013
0monnakoda: I think they'd make a good couple

Since you both relish sniffing each other's backside, I think you would do well to make the obvious attraction official. After all gay marriage has been legalised in some parts of the world.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by ALTRUTH(m): 10:53am On Oct 21, 2013
Afam, I am very surprised dat u hav decided to stand by nd watch omonnakoda spewing rubbish on dis thread.

AFAM, ARE U ALTRUTH OR NOT
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by ALTRUTH(m): 10:58am On Oct 21, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
No, our daughter won't marry an nna like Altruth.

Allow ur daughter to choose for herself, why put words in her mouth.

Desola, ahurum gi nanya; giwan kamcho. Obugini kwanu?
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 11:37am On Oct 21, 2013
Desola:

My dear, the question you should ask yourself is: Do majority of Kwarans see the Saraki family as corrupt? In so far as Kwarans hail the Saraki family who have imposed itself the defacto ruler of the Kwarans, Kwarans would continue to align with the north.

If you are bent on the course of not ceding kwara to the north, then you need to start a reorientation programe in Kwara to relieve them of the Saraki brainwash. They need to be unshackled from the Saraki slavery chains before they can think of charting their own destiny.
I can't imagine myself, David and Theophilus Bamigboye, Bishop Oyedepo, Rev George Adegboye, Rev Sam Adeyemi, Mustapha Akanbi, the Lawals, Adisas, Idiagbons, POA Olorunisola (SAN), Profs Kolawole, Lagbaja, Pasuma, Saidi Balogun, Tony Tetuila, Oga Bello and family, Kunle Afolayan n family, Ray family, Yinka Quadri, Pa James of papa ajasco, Madam Saje.... etc in Arewa zone or republic should Nigeria disintergrates...
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Desola(f): 11:47am On Oct 21, 2013
greatdonmikel:
I can't imagine myself, David and Theophilus Bamigboye, Bishop Oyedepo, Rev George Adegboye, Rev Sam Adeyemi, Mustapha Akanbi, the Lawals, Adisas, Idiagbons, POA Olorunisola (SAN), Profs Kolawole, Lagbaja, Pasuma, Saidi Balogun, Tony Tetuila, Oga Bello and family, Kunle Afolayan n family, Ray family, Yinka Quadri, Pa James of papa ajasco, Madam Saje.... etc in Arewa zone or republic should Nigeria disintergrates...

Didn't Tunde Idiagbon himself claim to be Fulani?
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by ALTRUTH(m): 11:50am On Oct 21, 2013
Desy baby, I am saying "Hi" to u. Howz ur nyt?
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 11:53am On Oct 21, 2013
Desola:

Didn't Tunde Idiagbon himself claim to be Fulani?
Ko to be e
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Desola(f): 11:59am On Oct 21, 2013
greatdonmikel:
Ko to be e

Google is your friend.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Desola(f): 12:09pm On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Desola(f): 12:13pm On Oct 21, 2013
Evidence that they have already accepted their fate,

https://www.nairaland.com/951834/behold-kwara-states-logo-criticize
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by ALTRUTH(m): 12:21pm On Oct 21, 2013
There is really no need for all these back-and-forth, if Kwarans want to bcome jihadists, dat is their cup of tea. If dey choose to b wit d core SW den Yorubas shld raise an army, invade Ilorin, overrun and capture d city, drive away d fulanis, secure d city nd free their brothers frm d shackles of slavery.

Let us know if u need our help.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by 0monnakoda: 12:41pm On Oct 21, 2013
ALTRUTH: There is really no need for all these back-and-forth, if Kwarans want to bcome jihadists, dat is their cup of tea. If dey choose to b wit d core SW den Yorubas shld raise an army, invade Ilorin, overrun and capture d city, drive away d fulanis, secure d city nd free their brothers frm d shackles of slavery.

Let us know if u need our help.
Nna kedu? how far na? ke Afam?
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Jarus(m): 1:09pm On Oct 21, 2013
Saw this this thread yesterday but was too busy to comment. shocked. I think Desola has hinted you of my tAke: - I'm a proud Yoruba, but have no problem working with the north. 'kk. Des. I am Yoruba, and by political classification , a northerner for now. I have no problem from my Yoruba brothers in the south-west, k. I don't dislike a any tribe. As for this op's request, personally, I'm indifferent on whether I end up in te north or south. uhf. As regards the religious and ethnic make-up of kkwara, I saw some inaCcuracies in the stats quoted up there by the op. But no time to engage him. I typed this from my phone, which delete key is not functioning. So bear with the poor spellings in this post.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 1:46pm On Oct 21, 2013
Katsumoto:

1. Orunmila baba Ifa, Ifa baba Agboniregun. Oduduwa met Agboniregun but Oduduwa didn't meet Orunmila because Orunmila was right there at the very start of the Yoruba race. You are correct that Orunmila was the head of the Ifa Corpus and also Igbekeji of Oludunmare, according to Yoruba mythology. Obatala was the head, the creator.

2. I didn't mean that there are no books/texts that mention Obatala; what I meant is that most texts/books I have read about Obatala relates to mythology. Just like Orunmila, we can't seem to place when they lived. But I would be grateful for links or books that you may have that may shed light on this.

3. Oduduwa didn't conquer the people of Ife with an Army, so his influence was always going to be limited. There was no way, he would have arrived and then made wholesome changes. You also have to remember that his journey from Bini to Ife was quite a tough one. There is no way he would have arrived in Ife as the same person who fled.

4. How do you mean Obaship was alien to Bini? The Binis had Ogisos, at Ife, they had Orelu Ore. And at Ife, they didn't have an Oba. Is your point about what the king was called or that they had a king?

I also agree, that we can only speculate. But in the absence of some evidence which actually places Oduduwa somewhere, I have to go with the Bini version. I will never buy into the Arabian tales.

1. I have not come across much books/texts on Obatala, the ones I've read seem to regurgitate the same thing. I have had to rely on what my people back home tell me - I gather the details from each an everyone then I circle the mostly repeated part of the details which appears reasonable. I'm still looking on research works that dig deeper into topics of such nature.

2. Based on my own analysis, Oduduwa must have employed the use of force/army to seize power. Else, I wouldn't think anyone would be willing to submit their throne/sovereignty to a stranger, yes? I'd like to reference Itapa festival, there's a part where Oduduwa and Obatala wrestled and Oduduwa's victory meant Obatala's exile from Ife. This wrestle match could be interpreted to mean the use of force at some point.

i. From the account of Obatala getting drunk on palm wine, it is said that Oduduwa took the materials needed for creation and led the 16 oye delegation to the world to begin the process.

ii. The account of Oduduwa's migration from Mecca states he had a large following, some who settled at Gobir but Oduduwa led the remaining group to Ife where he seized power.

iii. The last theory of Obatala coming from Ora Hills in Ile-Ife states that he came in with a band and usurped.

I cited all of the above to show Oduduwa must have used force to seize power and as a result of this he and his brigands, if from Benin as claimed, would have left some footprints from Benin politics and culture to mention a few. You would agree with me that being at the position of power, the culture of wherever he must have been from wouldnot just fade away without traces, they would point somewhere - no matter how rough his migration or descent from heaven might have been.

For me, since Clapperton, Sultan of Sokoto and Johnson helped to propagate the Oduduwa came from then 'east' theory which doesn't hold water really, I still wouldn't take the Benin theory because the premise is faulty. The people of Ife's account from time immemorial was Odudwa's descent from heaven (which could mean they do not know have a record of where he came from, hence, ascribing him to heaven OR just to build a cult aura around his person). Lastly on this, Ifa mentions Oduduwa but would have pointed at Benin if really Oduduwa was from Benin because it was the same Ifa who pointed Oranmiyan to be sent to Benin.

4. I have never heard of Orelu Ore my brother, this is new to me and I'd do my research on it. (asked my parents about it last night, they said they've never heard such). Would you mind providing links to where you got that from before I do further findings?

Finally, I would not go with the Benin version because its premise is shaky (clapperton, sultan and Johnson were the propagators of east migration which has been debunked but usurped by Benin historians). For me, Obatala to Oduduwa's period marked a shift/change in the socio-political sphere in Ile-Ife which has been tagged with several myths. Ife people had Osangangan Obamakin, Opereti, Awurebe, Omogberaye has kings way before Obatala/Oduduwa's period, so it is likely they had a shift in the kingship structure and it became much more cohesive and defined. I would suggest wherever Oduduwa came from be left open and not ascribed to anywhere at all. Who knows, he might have come from Ile-Ife since the settlements were scattered.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by khamas19: 1:48pm On Oct 21, 2013
lertee:
Let's say in politics,you allign with where you are wanted more. If they allign with the west,politically they will be powerless cos the core south western prts will dominate.
There is confusion in ilorin as to where they belong due to history as well as the geo-political sharing which makes kwara fall to the North central.
Infact the major question should be“where will kwara,kogi,benue,nasarawa fall should Nigeria separates”

@lertee...you seem to forget that these state boundaries are artificial creations and quite ephemeral....the eraser that will wipe these boundaries is on the same pencil that drew them...

Moving on..

....i think it is rather callous to classify the whole of Kwara as irrelevant to the yoruba people..based on Afonja's actions ..that'll be like throwing the baby out with the bath water...these people are our heritages and they feed into the diversity that is Odua....they have more in common with yoruba than with anyone else...what am i even saying..they are yoruba!!!....simple!!..but there's a caveat...

...ultimately my believe is that people have a right to self-determination...if they choose to be other than Yoruba..then all we can do is wish them well..
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 21, 2013
Jarus: Saw this this thread yesterday but was too busy to comment. shocked. I think Desola has hinted you of my tAke: - I'm a proud Yoruba, but have no problem working with the north. 'kk. Des. I am Yoruba, and [size=14pt]by political classification , a northerner for now[/size]. I have no problem from my Yoruba brothers in the south-west, k. I don't dislike a any tribe. As for this op's request, personally, I'm indifferent on whether I end up in te north or south. uhf. As regards the religious and ethnic make-up of kkwara, I saw some inaCcuracies in the stats quoted up there by the op. But no time to engage him. I typed this from my phone, which delete key is not functioning. So bear with the poor spellings in this post.

The bolded is so sweet, it nails the whole thing.
There's no need for them to agitate against a 'political classification', since they know and have not denied/detached from their cultural background and where nature/GOD has made them originate from. It is all to make the Nigeria scheme work.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Sloan: 2:26pm On Oct 21, 2013
django1: The main yoruba groups of SW hardly reckon with other yoruba people outside the south west zone.

Which one is "main Yoruba groups"? There is NOTHING like MAIN anything, don't create any division where there is NONE! Please delete it from your mind now. This is coming from me, a Yoruba, from Ile-Ife, yes from a royal house if you care, father married to my mother from Oyo, her grandfather, of the house of the chief priest of Sango, I am married to my wife from Ekiti so STOP any idea of imaginary segregation - it is so uncalled for. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by khamas19: 2:33pm On Oct 21, 2013
Sloan:

Which one is "main Yoruba groups"? There is NOTHING like MAIN anything, don't create any division where there is NONE! Please delete it from your mind now. This is coming from me, a Yoruba, from Ile-Ife, yes from a royal house if you care, father married to my mother from Oyo, her grandfather, of the house of the chief priest of Sango, I am married to my wife from Ekiti so STOP any idea of imaginary segregation - it is so uncalled for. Thank you.

..thank you..please spread the word....such speach is reckless to say the least...
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Sloan: 2:42pm On Oct 21, 2013
khamas19:

@lertee...you seem to forget that these state boundaries are artificial creations and quite ephemeral....the eraser that will wipe these boundaries is on the same pencil that drew them...

Moving on..

....i think it is rather callous to classify the whole of Kwara as irrelevant to the yoruba people..based on Afonja's actions ..that'll be like throwing the baby out with the bath water...these people are our heritages and they feed into the diversity that is Odua....they have more in common with yoruba than with anyone else...what am i even saying..they are yoruba!!!....simple!!..but there's a caveat...

...ultimately my believe is that people have a right to self-determination...if they choose to be other than Yoruba..then all we can do is wish them well..

That exactly is the point of view I had canvassed earlier and the best compromise in EVERY way! Ask that each person / groups vote in a plebiscite and that will be the best approach. Throwing out the baby with the water will naturally upset people on both sides, people like us in the SW who think it is an unnecessary loss of our Yoruba people and attribute it to politics (which is unnecessary at this level), the feeling of rejection by those people will not make them happy if some or majority wanted to be in the SW. If they are badly treated by the other side (northerners) in the future, they will blame the SW Yorubas significantly for being on the short end of the stick. This becomes even a more significant problem if the SW opens up bigger leads in economic growth, employment opportunities, free education, healthcare, infrastructure, industry, ports, minerals and oil and gas, etc. Their frustration could very well be the bed rock of insurgencies to sabotage us, who knows? They could in fact decide to stand aside if there is any aggression from that side too because they feel they were rejected, why should they help when they have no benefit?

At the end of the day, empirical and historical evidence suggests that the Yoruba West will continue to best all regions of the country for the foreseeable future and the people at the borders, like every normal human being, would rather be in a region where they and their children will have better opportunities.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (25) (Reply)

Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri / Get Your Facts Right On Nigeria, Buhari Tells International Community / El-rufai To Critics : GO AND DIE If You're Not Happy Over My Appointees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.