Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,262 members, 7,860,602 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:11 PM

Nba Season '08/09 - Sports (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nba Season '08/09 (71351 Views)

NBA Season 2011-2012 (First 2 Weeks Of Games Cancelled) / Who Do You Think Would Win 2010-2011 Nba Season Mvp / NBA Season 2010/11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (101) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nba Season '08/09 by lailai2(m): 11:07pm On Dec 10, 2008
. . .i caught u red-handed contradicting yourself and you still managed to pull this
Thugs_R_Us:

LeBron does have serviceable options on offense. That is a myth. Its just that LeBron himself can singlehandedly, as he wins games, can lose games as well, esp. if his greatest weapon is taken away from him. The Cavs are a good offensive, but are even a greater defensive bunch. Their offense is not as bad as people are making out to be. Their guys are shooting good percentages.[b] Its just being masked b/c their defense is more of the backbone to the team.[/b]

wdf is this explanation. . . . yeah its masked so we cant see them knocking down shots becos of their defensive skills,if there is no offence, there is no offence, period
see wadeftw/thugsru, if u can weave that despite being contradictory, i see this argument has no point , . . . .so peace and good luck to your defensive basketball
i wonder if every team focused on defence like u want, who will be watchin basketball, every sport has to have variety, dude
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 11:43pm On Dec 10, 2008
lai-lai:

. . .i caught u red-handed contradicting yourself and you still managed to pull this
wdf is this explanation. . . . yeah its masked so we can't see them knocking down shots because of their defensive skills,if there is no offence, there is no offence, period
see wadeftw/thugsru, if u can weave that despite being contradictory, i see this argument has no point , . . . .so peace and good luck to your defensive basketball
i wonder if every team focused on defence like u want, who will be watchin basketball, every sport has to have variety, dude

[b]You still haven't gave a concise explanation on how I contradicted myself. I never criticized the Cavs offense. In fact, I gave statistical evidence on how the Cavs offense is decent. Instead, I've blamed LeBron the whole time for not developing a jumpshot.

Are you catching on? In Cleveland, their defense reigned superior and still do. During the championship run, the Cavs ranked fourth in defensive efficiency. All I did what back my argument up w/ facts, and I'm getting criticized for it.

In contract, no one here has gave facts to back up their statement. All arguements have either been off speculation and opinion.

You need at least have a decent offense to become a championship contending team. There is no doubt about it. However, it is more value for a team w/ a superstar wing/guard to have defensive team around him, then an offensive one. Because, great defense on the low block is always much more value than perimeter defense since one can alter shots, roaming around on the low/high post and help out on the weak side. Its also much more intimidating to have a low post defensive big than a ball hawk on the perimeter.

Look at Iverson in 2001 when he led his team to the Finals. His supporting cast offensively wasn't nearly as good as the 2007 Cavs (thopugh they hit their shots), but they were such a great defensive team, that they were able to steal one victory from the three peat Lakers.

No big man on the Sixers was as offensively skilled as Big Z or Drew Gooden. Their second best player was Dikembe Mutombo! No guard on Sixers could shoot like Gibson. And the Cavs also had better depth (offensively).[/b]
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 12:04am On Dec 11, 2008
@lai-lai
I think this dead horse has been flogged enough lets move on to more productive things

@doyin
Pardon me cheesy cheesy
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by doyin13(m): 12:12am On Dec 11, 2008
The long posts tire me to read sef

una remember the '01 Sixers sha.

shuwo

I can only remember Mutombo, Iverson, Mckie and Snow. Can't remember the other members in their rotation.
And they beat a pretty good Bucks team of Allen, Cassell and Big Dog. An offensive beast at the time.

Wade WTF. . . . that sixers team were no offensive slouches.

I am not too sure but i bet they averaged close to 100 pts a game that season
to go with their staunch defense.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 12:14am On Dec 11, 2008
A-40:

@lai-lai
I think this dead horse has been flogged enough lets move on to more productive things

@doyin
Pardon me cheesy cheesy

Oh no. Your posts is too easy for the taking

I've argued against people much more knowledgable about the game.

I will get back to it after studying. Finals week.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by JeSoul(f): 12:19am On Dec 11, 2008
wow A-40 you brought out a whip on Wade  grin  that's the harshest I've seen you write, but Wade sure deserved it, cheating on his wife n all . . .   grin

doyin13:

I hope you both are happy with yaselves. . . . . angry angry angry angry

You have driven all the regulars away from the thread. angry angry angry
hehe na you start am now  grin
na wa oo

So una jus dey knw say our Jesoul na audio-visual superstar.

Jesoul na o seti lele     she set finish
  grin turning red in the face Doyin me I just be like the girl next door oh!  kiss  kiss
and for all the kind fellas who queried, here's my youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ed7-LP9G1I&feature=channel_page
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 12:20am On Dec 11, 2008
doyin13:

shuwo

I can only remember Mutombo, Iverson, Mckie and Snow. Can't remember the other members in their rotation.
And they beat a pretty good Bucks team of Allen, Cassell and Big Dog. An offensive beast at the time.

Their offense was decent, but nothing to write home about. They had a great scorer w/ a bunch of role players that were clutch shooters, kinda like Olajuwons team in 94.

Show me where I said their offense was terrible. I just said it was worse than the Cavs
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 12:22am On Dec 11, 2008
doyin13:

shuwo

They were decent. Sigh. They're defense was much better. that is the point.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by JeSoul(f): 12:23am On Dec 11, 2008
ah Doyin you're seeing dead people?  shocked  grin  should I call the jazzman? grin  we can't afford to lose Doyindamus this close to the nfl playoffs, who else will speak and jinx the Giants team for me?  cool
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 12:55am On Dec 11, 2008
WadeFTW:

Oh no. [b]Your posts is too easy for the taking

I've argued against people much more knowledgable about the game.

I will get back to it after studying. Finals week.[/b]
Ohh tape it shut tongue tongue you have nothing meaningful to say Mr Wole Soyinka you just made another grammatical blunder.You know nada about the game tongue tongue
doyin13:

shuwo

Pele!! I am not used to typing these long things myself.Sometimes though ITK peeps like these need to be schooled because they think they know but have no idea

JeSoul:

wow A-40 you brought out a whip on Wade  grin  that's the harshest I've seen you write, but Wade sure deserved it, cheating on his wife n all . . .   grin
hehe na you start am now  grin   grin turning red in the face Doyin me I just be like the girl next door oh!  kiss  kiss
and for all the kind fellas who queried, here's my youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ed7-LP9G1I&feature=channel_page

Lol na the fake Wade sef the real Wade would be more sensible than he is despite leaving his wife for that skeezer lol but its his private business i guess.I would check out your vid wink
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by millco88(f): 1:01am On Dec 11, 2008
Lock the thread.

Nowitzki isn't worth a fine hair on Howards arse.

Ridiculous.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by bawomolo(m): 1:39am On Dec 11, 2008
this thread has turned into royal rumble tongue
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by millco88(f): 2:22am On Dec 11, 2008
*fight* *fight* *fight*
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by lailai2(m): 5:17am On Dec 11, 2008
i guess millco and bawomolo wan start fight grin grin grin grin grin
i'll be waiting eagerly

the battle for best record in the east will surely go down to the wire, both teams know how important home court will be in the finals if they get to meet that is
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by JeSoul(f): 2:16pm On Dec 11, 2008
Hmmm. . .

Phoenix trades Diaw and Raja Bell to the Bobcats for Jason Richardson.
Who is getting the better deal? Phoenix just traded away 2 of their top defensive players . . . does that make sense in the west where defense comes hard? They get some firepower with J.Richardson but in addressing one problem, they've created another.

The bobcats -good or bad deal for them? they're not making the playoffs anyways.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 8:52pm On Dec 11, 2008
Hmm it could work and it could backfire for Phoenix all though their thin bench has already gotten thinner with this trade it was so obvious against the Lakers and thats going to be a big problem they made a huge mistake in trading Marion for a washed up Shaq now they have traded Bell and Diaw who have not exactly been playing too good for them especially Bell but the good side is they get loads of offense from Richardson and someone who could control traffic in the absence of Nash

As for the Bobcats they have gotten better on defense and they have gotten more bodies too but they have lost lots of offense in Richardson and things would get a little worse before they get better for them

All in all i think looking at it in the long term Charlotte just might be getting a better deal because their roster gets a little deeper

Carmelo dropped 33 in one quarter albeit against the T/Wolves
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by millco88(f): 10:14pm On Dec 11, 2008
JeSoul:

Hmmm. . .

Phoenix trades Diaw and Raja Bell to the Bobcats for Jason Richardson.
Who is getting the better deal? Phoenix just traded away 2 of their top defensive players . . . does that make sense in the west where defense comes hard? They get some firepower with J.Richardson but in addressing one problem, they've created another.

The bobcats -good or bad deal for them? they're not making the playoffs anyways.

Far too early to tell, isn't it??  But I never thought adding more offense was what Phoenix needed; they have to become better defensively and trading away your best perimeter defender isn't the way to do that, IMO.  Richardson's the best player in the deal, but I don't think he makes Phoenix any better. 

Now maybe if he had a reputation as a stone cold killer in the playoffs, you could see how Phoenix might try to outscore teams.  But given the ages of Nash, Shaq and Hill, Amare's inability to defend the 5 effectively and how differently they play depending on their big guy lineup, I don't see how it really helps them that much.

I haven't really looked at it from a contract standpoint to see if there's some value there.  But I can see what the Suns' strategy is -- they have too much invested in this roster, no one who would give them equal value for their biggest piece, and the potential of a LOT of cap room in 2010, the magical year.  Basically, make some tweaks looking for the right combination and hope you get lucky in the playoffs.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by JeSoul(f): 11:43pm On Dec 11, 2008
millco88:

But I never thought adding more offense was what Phoenix needed; they have to become better defensively and trading away your best perimeter defender isn't the way to do that, IMO. Richardson's the best player in the deal, but I don't think he makes Phoenix any better.

Now maybe if he had a reputation as a stone cold killer in the playoffs, you could see how Phoenix might try to outscore teams. But given the ages of Nash, Shaq and Hill, Amare's inability to defend the 5 effectively and how differently they play depending on their big guy lineup, I don't see how it really helps them that much.
Bingo. I think that's what they're going for. The west is all about putting it up and I guess they're just trying to keep up? undecided Like Lai said earlier, you need a balance of good offense and defense, the Suns just reduced in the latter category, and gained (yet to be proven) in the former. I guess we'll see as the season turns . . .

A-40:

All in all i think looking at it in the long term Charlotte just might be getting a better deal because their roster gets a little deeper
Yeah perhaps long term. I think Brown is up to something . . .

Carmelo dropped 33 in one quarter albeit against the T/Wolves

Mehn its hard for Melo to impress me. 33 in 1q is impressive sha. Denver is definitely better with Billups, #2 in the west right now i believe. But I don't think they'll stay in the top 4 by the end of the yr.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 1:07am On Dec 12, 2008
JeSoul:

Yeah perhaps long term. I think Brown is up to something . . .

Mehn its hard for Melo to impress me. 33 in 1q is impressive sha. Denver is definitely better with Billups, #2 in the west right now i believe. But I don't think they'll stay in the top 4 by the end of the yr.
Okafor has not quite made the impact that most Bobcats fans would have hoped for they do need more offense Felton and Wallace seem to be the only ones doing their bit in that department they need to get some scorers as their PPG average is way too low

They just might ooh!! Billups is really tightening things up and co-ordinating that team very well i would like to see them make the playoffs and have home-court advantage surely they must be tired of being perennial first round quitters
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by lailai2(m): 1:47am On Dec 12, 2008
wats gud y'all
that trade was out of the blue mehn, thats what i love about basketball not like football that one club would have been chasing somebody for almost a decade and stil wont get him. about the trade, it will be hard to figure who's got the advantage but just like y'all said phoenix sacrificed some defence for more offence while charlotte supposedly did d opposite,pheonix in trying to change their style have totally changed the team, hope it wont lead them down rather than up because they are in a precarious position in the standing, they would hope to hit the ground running once with richardson, there is no time for dullin, competition is too tough. . .charlotte can still use this season to work out where they want to head, . . nash has already said he isnt happy with the trade more because he was close to them as he said. but it is said bell also didn't like the new system

read this at the nba site, really funny
'Believe it or not, the season is about one fourth complete, as we've played exactly 300 of the 1,230 games on the schedule. That went by pretty quick, right?
Sometimes, we wonder if we should just skip over the remaining 930 regular season games and the first two rounds of the playoffs so that the Celtics and Cavs can face each other in the Eastern Conference Finals, with the Lakers awaiting the winner
'
i'll like to agree with it but determining who will have home court advantage btw cavs and celts wont be easy from the look of things. . . . also, things could change very quickly, its a long season, lakers hav showed some shakiness recently and a few injuries here and there could derail anybody's plan, besides i think cavs, celts and lakers have been lucky with injuries, most other teams chasing them have been havin one injury or another to important players in their rosters

there's also this talk of how some players mvp chances dwindle becos there teams are just to good, lebron's nos have been going down, kobe's nos are at a all-time low while in celts, nobody can stand out becos their best strength is team defence and generally strong team bond, so will it be right to give somebody like wade d mvp if the season ends as it is,

anthony scored 33 in a quarter. . . .reminds me of when i scored 50 in one quarter during my days, the only thing i could see was a basket and no matter how far i went, it was just in front of me, its called 'd zone' grin grin grin
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by bawomolo(m): 5:14am On Dec 12, 2008
boris diaw has been an underachieving bum so his loss isn't that big. the question is will jason richardson steal shots from amare.  the bobcats are just mixing and matching.  they need sean may to be healthy because emeka okafor isn't that good. felton is actually a bust considering he was hyped along with deron williams and chris paul.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by millco88(f): 3:14pm On Dec 12, 2008
JeSoul:

Bingo. I think that's what they're going for. The west is all about putting it up and I guess they're just trying to keep up? undecided Like Lai said earlier, you need a balance of good offense and defense, the Suns just reduced in the latter category, and gained (yet to be proven) in the former. I guess we'll see as the season turns . . .

I don't know who they gained anything. J-Rich is a better offensive player than Bell, but I don't see how he helps the Suns much. The Suns' biggest problem this season hasn't been production out of the 2; they're currently 5th in offensive efficiency, 1st in eFG%, 1st in TS%.  Their problem on offense has been turning the ball over; they have the highest turnover rate in the league.

But their biggest issue has been defense; they're 22nd in the league in defensive efficiency, driven by rebounding.

So whats the porpose of reverting D-Antonis old system? The Suns have already had the best record in the league in their history. What they want is a ring, and doing things the old ways probably wasn't going to get it done considering Nash's age and Amare's inability to guard the post.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 8:44pm On Dec 14, 2008
Dirk dropped 46 last night grin grin against the Thunder

Now the Western Conference is just pure drama the Spurs have flown from 8th some days back to 3rd,Houston,Utah and Portland seem to be runing out of gas especially Portland now is the time for them Mavs to climb up those standings we have played less games than these guys ahead so lets take advantage

The Cavs finally lost their winning streak now who would stop the Celts? as those guys are getting scarier by the game
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by Moonstone(f): 9:45pm On Dec 14, 2008
A-40:

Dirk dropped 46 last night  grin grin against the Thunder

Now the Western Conference is just pure drama the Spurs have flown from 8th some days back to 3rd,Houston,Utah and Portland seem to be runing out of gas especially Portland now is the time for them Mavs to climb up those standings we have played less games than these guys ahead so lets take advantage

The Cavs finally lost their winning streak now who would stop the Celts? as those guys are getting scarier by the game
They need to be stopped. They also won in my NBA game this morning angry

As for the Western conference, it's very interesting. New Orleans now is 3rd again and Spurs back to 4th. 9 teams seriously battling be the best in the West. Their positions change with every game and it's very amazing.
The East on the other hand, don't even get me started.  sad
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by lailai2(m): 12:44am On Dec 15, 2008
spurs always had the potential and experience though i thought they were on a serious decline given the level of competition. the trophies they won no be fluke
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 1:08am On Dec 15, 2008
Yeah some people for here dey call them lesser dynasty.ROFLMAO grin grin
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by bawomolo(m): 10:25pm On Dec 15, 2008
damn coaches are getting fired left and right. welcome to the club, Reggie Theus. is don nelson next cheesy
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by lailai2(m): 11:26pm On Dec 15, 2008
nobody wan carry last (i mean from 9th to sixteenth) in both conferences but unfortunately, people gats carry last

even east don vex
East vs. West: East leads 64-52 (.552) in inter-conference games

san antonio and mavs up to 5th n 6th on nba.com power rankings, be like say some people don start to dey use pedigree push their way up
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 3:24am On Dec 16, 2008
The East is looking stronger than the West thus far there is no argument about that
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by JeSoul(f): 3:27pm On Dec 16, 2008
Billups has seriously invigorated the once useless Nuggets, I'll still need more evidence before I consider them one of big boys of the league.

The Spurs have steered back on course . . . why did we ever doubt them?

As for the east beating up on the west all I gats to say is: Was about time! grin For the past bunch of yrs all we've been hearing from the west is the east is weak, anybody can make the playoffs in the east . . . bla bla bla . . .hehe east coast bias in the house cool
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 2:28am On Dec 17, 2008
@Jesoul
What would it take to beat your Celts? 15 wins on the trot shocked shocked very scary
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by chiogo(f): 2:43am On Dec 17, 2008
Hi y'all

I see my celtics are still on top of their game. I watched them last on friday and they took that one. I barely have time to watch these days because I'm either at practice after school or at a game. Lemme just say that B-ball is not that easy:: so big ups to Celtics cheesy especially # 5 and #9:: y'all don't be surprised if I become the next Candace Parker. Lmao, yea right!

Anyway, you all keep this thread running; I love it!

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (101) (Reply)

Picture Of Vincent Enyeama And Wife / Lionel Messi, Taye Taiwo, And Mikel Obi In 2005 (Throwback Photo) / Victor Osimhen's Look After Clashing Head Injury (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.