Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,148 members, 7,860,118 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:03 AM

Nba Season '08/09 - Sports (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nba Season '08/09 (71347 Views)

NBA Season 2011-2012 (First 2 Weeks Of Games Cancelled) / Who Do You Think Would Win 2010-2011 Nba Season Mvp / NBA Season 2010/11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (101) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nba Season '08/09 by JeSoul(f): 5:45pm On Dec 08, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

What the hell is going on with the raptors they drop their last three straight.
   Give it some time, I think the Lizards will play better as the season progresses. But if you're putting your hope in O'neal, you'll need to re-assign it so someone else. Jermaine is over the hill.

Today's loss against Portland was a heart breaker.
(Oden is such an unpolished player, but Portland looks good and I don't how?)
  2 Reasons: Brandon roy & the deep bench.

On a lighter note I see the Cav's giving a run against Boston in the east.
  They'll give us a run sure, but will fall short as always  cool

I think Detroit will fall off by mid-season. Allan Iverson is too individualistic for the Pistons system of play.
   I'm sure Dumars knew that when he signed off on the trade. I believe they wanted cap space so they sacrificed this yr's "success", they'll let him go after this season.

I am still a firm believer that OJ Mayo will be MVP because he takes 20 shots a night, and plays for a depleted roster.
  Dude, its early in the day, what are you smoking?  kiss  cool
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 5:55pm On Dec 08, 2008
@Jesoul
Seriously if the Cavs get home-court on y'all in a playoff series they would not fall short ooh
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by JeSoul(f): 6:00pm On Dec 08, 2008
A-40:

@Jesoul
Seriously if the Cavs get home-court on y'all in a playoff series they would not fall short ooh
   The Cavs are a 1-man team. Using the Lakers template, find a way to neutralize or contain or at best limit the damage from Lebron, and shut everyone else down, Lebron cannot win by himself. Remember the stinker of a 'series' in the finals?

The Celtics have a huge weakness though: lack of offense from our bench. Ainge needs to trade for someone before the deadline or sign someone or else repeating will be a tall order with the current reserves.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 6:04pm On Dec 08, 2008
On offense, Cavs are a one man show w/ solid contributors like Mo Williams, but on defense and rebounding, its completely different.

The Cavs are one of the best defensive and rebounding teams in the league. And thats a MAJOR part of their victories. If LeBron didn't have such a great rebounding team, he wouldn't get nearly as many opportunites on offense and the Cavs wouldn't be 17-3.

Quit underrating LeBrons supporting cast. He has help.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 6:11pm On Dec 08, 2008
JeSoul:

The Cavs are a 1-man team. Using the Lakers template, find a way to neutralize or contain or at best limit the damage from Lebron, and shut everyone else down, Lebron cannot win by himself. Remember the stinker of a 'series' in the finals?

The Celtics have a huge weakness though: lack of offense from our bench. Ainge needs to trade for someone before the deadline or sign someone or else repeating will be a tall order with the current reserves.

I would trade the Heat bench for the Celtics bench anyway. And that INCLUDES Michael Beasley

Celtics have perhaps the best bench in the NBA. The Celtics are the epitome of depth
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 6:14pm On Dec 08, 2008
Uh oh. Yet another coach got fired today

http://www.insidehoops.com

The Minnesota Timberwolves today announced that the team has relieved head coach Randy Wittman of his coaching duties. Kevin McHale will take over the head coaching responsibilities of the team on a full-time basis from this point forward. McHale, who has served as vice president of basketball operations since May 11, 1995, will step down from that role with the team in order to concentrate on his coaching duties.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 6:17pm On Dec 08, 2008
@Jesoul
I am not sure the Cavs are as one-man as they where in 07 when they lost to the Spurs although i still agree the rest of the team is shyte but looking at last season's playoff series you and i know that homecourt was what saw you through against ATL and Cleveland y'all are still favorites though but not unbeatable
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 6:19pm On Dec 08, 2008
A-40:

@Jesoul
I am not sure the Cavs are as one-man as they where in 07 when they lost to the Spurs although i still agree the rest of the team is shyte but looking at last season's playoff series you and i know that homecourt was what saw you through against ATL and Cleveland y'all are still favorites though but not unbeatable

WRONG. You are really underrating LeBrons supporting cast. LeBron having no help is a bygone myth. They are one of the best defensive and rebounding teams in the league. Verejao (sp?) and Big Z are serviceable rebounders and very adept on their defensive rotations. Mo Williams is a decent PG w/ a good offensive game. Gibson isn't too shabby either.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by JeSoul(f): 6:21pm On Dec 08, 2008
WadeFTW:

I would trade the Heat bench for the Celtics bench anyway. And that INCLUDES Michael Beasley

Celtics have perhaps the best bench in the NBA. The Celtics are the epitome of depth
  shocked for where?  grin I love Glen Davis but he's an offensively liability and so is the red head Scalabrine. House is great but inconsistent and so is Tony Allen. It's only Powe that I have confidence in to bring it every night. Nah depth is not a word I'd associate with the Celtics bench.

A-40:

@Jesoul
 You certainly got that right. I think if they can somehow snag a proven veteran to help on reserve scoring, it'll go a long way.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 6:35pm On Dec 08, 2008
JeSoul:

shocked for where?  grin I love Glen Davis but he's an offensively liability and so is the red head Scalabrine. House is great but inconsistent and so is Tony Allen. It's only Powe that I have confidence in to bring it every night. Nah depth is not a word I'd associate with the Celtics bench.
  You certainly got that right. I think if they can somehow snag a proven veteran to help on reserve scoring, it'll go a long way.

Scalabrine doesn't get that much PT. He plays 14% of the Celtics minutes according to 82games.com. Way to throw his name in there. Nice try, but it won't work.

Bostons reserves offensively as a whole are very good. They don't log alot of minutes (bottom 10 in minutes per game) but they do average more points than most teams per game and are above average in scoring. Imagine if you gave the Celts reserves more minutes. I guarentee, they'll top the league in scoring. They average more points-per-minute than any other team in the league aside from Houston and Detroit I believe.

http://www.82games.com/0809/STSORT10.HTM

I rest my case.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by JeSoul(f): 6:41pm On Dec 08, 2008
WadeFTW:

Scalabrine doesn't get that much PT. He plays 14% of the Celtics minutes according to 82games.com. Way to throw his name in there. Nice try, but it won't work.

Bostons reserves offensively as a whole are very good. They don't log alot of minutes (bottom 10 in minutes per game) but they do average more points than most teams per game and are above average in scoring. Imagine if you gave the Celts reserves more minutes. I guarentee, they'll top the league in scoring. They average more points-per-minute than any other team in the league.

http://www.82games.com/0809/STSORT10.HTM

I rest my case.
lol . . . the reason Doc Rivers doesn't play them more is because they don't produce offense! They lose huge double digit leads and Doc has to quickly bring back the starters to stop the bleeding.

Did you watch the last 2 games? esp last night? Jim O'brien's strategy worked to a T because he brought in his starters against the Celtics bench, and quickly the 1Q double digit lead evaporated.

I'm not saying the bench is a complete wash out, Powe is great, and like I said House and Tony Allen are very good, they just need to be consistent every night. We're not trying to be an average team, but a repeat championship team. And you cannot do that with a half-baked, average bench.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 6:52pm On Dec 08, 2008
JeSoul:

lol . . . the reason Doc Rivers doesn't play them more is because they don't produce offense! They lose huge double digit leads and Doc has to quickly bring back the starters to stop the bleeding.

Did you watch the last 2 games? esp last night? Jim O'brien's strategy worked to a T because he brought in his starters against the Celtics bench, and quickly the 1Q double digit lead evaporated.

I'm not saying the bench is a complete wash out, Powe is great, and like I said House and Tony Allen are very good, they just need to be consistent every night. We're not trying to be an average team, but a repeat championship team. And you cannot do that with a half-baked, average bench.

[b]If the Celts bench is not inconsistent, then no bench in the NBA is consistent b/c the Celts reserves are one of the better teams statistically in the league, and they have an advantage on other teams oppossing reserves on most nights. If the Celts bench are not good offensively, then explain why they are above average in scoring per 100 possessions. If the Celts are losing leads like that, then the blame can only be put on Doc (he doesn't exactly have a good track record other than the championship season), b/c it clearly shows thats hes not adept w/ his substitutions. Perhaps he is leaving his second units to play w/ oppossing teams first units FOR TOO LONG. Hence why they lose leads. Simple. 

I would gladly trade Yakouba FREAKING Diawara and Chris Quinn for that Celts bench anyday. I believe most of your low post bench are much better options than the Heats STARTING center, who averages a whopping 1 point and 3 rebounds a game. So yes, I would take Big Baby (even if he is a crybaby) over our undersized PF PLAYING C anyday.

Celts fans are in no condition to complain.[/b]
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by bawomolo(m): 7:22pm On Dec 08, 2008
i don't see how oden is unpolished.  the trailblazers knew what they were getting. a great defensive players with limited post moves.  anyone who watched is games at ohio states knows he is closer to bill russell than shaq.  he would get there in a couple of seasons. 

We're not trying to be an average team, but a repeat championship team.

who dash monkey banana cool
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by JeSoul(f): 8:14pm On Dec 08, 2008
WadeFTW:

If the Celts bench is not inconsistent, then no bench in the NBA is consistent b/c the Celts reserves are one of the better teams statistically in the league, and they have an advantage on other teams oppossing reserves on most nights. If the Celts bench are not good offensively, then explain why they are above average in scoring per 100 possessions.
  Oga Wade you're not listening to me, I did not say our bench is garbage, I said the bench is good, but it is not championship level yet!
  Obviously both the starters & the bench must be doing something very right with a 20-2 record  undecided  I did not say either the Celtic bench does not outplay other teams on different nights, I said they are inconsistent! Drop 60 today and 10 tomorrow so obviously the averages will not show these inconsistent numbers.

My simple point is this: the bench is good, but not ready to repeat. Kapish.

If the Celts are losing leads like that, then the blame can only be put on Doc (he doesn't exactly have a good track record other than the championship season), b/c it clearly shows thats hes not adept w/ his substitutions. Perhaps he is leaving his second units to play w/ oppossing teams first units FOR TOO LONG. Hence why they lose leads. Simple. 
  you were just quoting stats for me how the bench doesn't play long enough . . . now the story is if perhaps Doc is leaving them in too long? 

Celts fans are in no condition to complain. 
  who is complaining?  we are 20-2! I simply said the Celtics one weakness is getting consistent offense from their bench. Shikena.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by JeSoul(f): 8:16pm On Dec 08, 2008
bawomolo:

who dash monkey banana cool
nobody go dash us, we go take am by force! grin cool
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 8:30pm On Dec 08, 2008
JeSoul:

Oga Wade you're not listening to me, I did not say our bench is garbage, I said the bench is good, but it is not championship level yet!
  Obviously both the starters & the bench must be doing something very right with a 20-2 record  undecided  I did not say either the Celtic bench does not outplay other teams on different nights, I said they are inconsistent! Drop 60 today and 10 tomorrow so obviously the averages will not show these inconsistent numbers.

My simple point is this: the bench is good, but not ready to repeat. Kapish.

you were just quoting stats for me how the bench doesn't play long enough . . . now the story is if perhaps Doc is leaving them in too long? 
  who is complaining?  we are 20-2! I simply said the Celtics one weakness is getting consistent offense from their bench. Shikena.

The facts still remains that the Celts have one of the best benches in the NBA, inconsistent or not. It's apparent Doc doesn't make the right substitutions and he ends up getting outcoached on most occasions, yet Boston gets by b/c of the talent disparity. If Doc was consistent in his rotations then the reserves wouldn't show inconsistency to begin w/. Statistically, I proved the Celts reserves have no problem scoring, b/c you said they had a "lack of offense from the bench". Those were your words. Then, you went on to say they were inconsistent?

Which one is it?

I criticized your post b/c you blatantly declared the Celts as being an utter liability from the bench (offensively), which isn't nearly true.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by JeSoul(f): 10:37pm On Dec 08, 2008
WadeFTW:

The facts still remains that the Celts have one of the best benches in the NBA, inconsistent or not.
Lol you're funny. The Rockets are one of the top teams in terms of talent - what has that done for them? Talented inconsistent players do not win championships.

It's apparent Doc doesn't make the right substitutions and he ends up getting outcoached on most occasions, yet Boston gets by b/c of the talent disparity. If Doc was consistent in his rotations then the reserves wouldn't show inconsistency to begin w/.
what? So its Doc's fault some bench players are inconsistent?

Statistically, I proved the Celts reserves have no problem scoring,
proven wetin? shocked did you watch the last 2 games the Celts played? Statistics don't always tell the story. Again your stats are averages, averages do not show trends and inconsistencies for crying out loud.

b/c you said they had a "lack of offense from the bench". Those were your words. Then, you went on to say they were inconsistent?
Which one is it?
it is both. If you watched the last couple games the Celtics played we would not arguing about this becos it was blatantly obvious.

I criticized your post b/c you blatantly declared the Celts as being an utter liability from the bench (offensively), which isn't nearly true.
No. Re-read my post, I said Glen Davis was a offensive liability. Powe was great. Allen and House are nice but need to bring it every night. Where did you reach the conclusion I wrote off the entire Celtic bench?
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 10:56pm On Dec 08, 2008
WadeFTW said:

b/c you said they had a "lack of offense from the bench". Those were your words. Then, you went on to say they were inconsistent?
Which one is it?

Jesoul said:

It is both

I think thats all we need to know. Your POSTS are inconsistent and contradictory.

This is what you said on post #514:

Now you claim the Celts have this lack of offense. But somehow this Celts "lack of offense" ranks amongst the upper echelon of teams in the NBA (stat-wise).
Saying the Celts are inconsistent is one thing, but claiming they have absolutely no offense whatsoever is absurd.

Here is the definition of "lack" in the dictionary:

lack   /læk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation  [lak] Show IPA Pronunciation 

–noun 1. deficiency or absence of something needed, desirable, or customary: lack of money; lack of skill. 
2. something missing or needed: After he left, they really felt the lack. 
–verb (used with object) 3. to be without or deficient in: to lack ability; to lack the necessities of life. 
4. to fall short in respect of: He lacks three votes to win. 
–verb (used without object) 5. to be absent or missing, as something needed or desirable: Three votes are lacking to make a majority. 
—Verb phrase6. lack in, to be short of or deficient in: What he lacks in brains, he makes up for in brawn. 

So, you see. Please choose your words carefully next time.

One last thing. If they're giving up leads before first unit returns, it doesn't necessarily have to do w/ their "lack of offense". It could be their poor rotations on defense, being unable to read passing lanes, meagar rebounding/positioning and/ or Docs subsitution patterns, which is a legit arguement. Thats what coaches are there for: to give good rotations. In fact, Boston reserves are one of the worst rebounding teams in the NBA, while their starters are one of the best: an implication of DEFENSE.

This just goes to show how basketball is just so much more than how much your team can put up in a game.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by lailai2(m): 11:20pm On Dec 08, 2008
cavs are definitely more than just lebron now and last year, it was d home court advantage as A-40 said
i expect a closer, grittier series if they happen to hav a matchup this season
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by omitutu: 11:25pm On Dec 08, 2008
hehehehe. . .

Jesoul and WadeFTW .

Bo, I bet there are more pertinent issues in the NBA season than the Celts bench angry angry angry

Like. . . .Is Dirk the best big man in the NBA? grin grin grin grin
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 11:31pm On Dec 08, 2008
omi tutu:

hehehehe. . .

Jesoul and WadeFTW .

Bo, I bet there are more pertinent issues in the NBA season than the Celts bench angry angry angry

LLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!! Dirk doesn't even PLAY like a traditional big man. He is a poor man & help defender, and his team has REGRESSED over the last few years. He is an afterthought.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by JeSoul(f): 11:35pm On Dec 08, 2008
Wade, you're funny, the way you consistently read more into my posts that I state.
WadeFTW:

WadeFTW said:

Which one is it?

Jesoul said:

It is both

I think thats all we need to know. Your POSTS are inconsistent and contradictory.

This is what you said on post #514:

Now you claim the Celts have this lack of offense. But somehow this Celts "lack of offense" ranks amongst the upper echelon of teams in the NBA (stat-wise).
Saying the Celts are inconsistent is one thing, but claiming they have absolutely no offense whatsoever is absurd.
my goodness you're a piece of work. When one says lack of offense does that = zero offense?    whether na inconsistent or lack of offense, it equals the same thing in that the bench needs help.
 Even if you wanted to be nitpicky about my words, did I not break it down further to individual players? that Powe was good, Allen and House needed to step it up, but Davis & Scal are the real offensive liabilities?

Na wah for you. You're just trying to be difficult. When the simple intent of my post was that the Celtics bench is our biggest weakness.

omi tutu:

hehehehe. . .

Jesoul and WadeFTW .

hehe don't open that can of worms again  grin
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 11:55pm On Dec 08, 2008
JeSoul:

Wade, you're funny, the way you consistently read more into my posts that I state. my goodness you're a piece of work. When one says lack of offense does that = zero offense?    whether na inconsistent or lack of offense, it equals the same thing in that the bench needs help.
  Even if you wanted to be nitpicky about my words, did I not break it down further to individual players? that Powe was good, Allen and House needed to step it up, but Davis & Scal are the real offensive liabilities?

Exactly. Stating that one has lack of offense is simply expressing the fact that they are a total liability and cannot be looked upon at any time as a viable option.

Stating inconsistency is expressing the fact the Celts have a tendency to show great spurts offensively, showing flashes of potential and promise, but not necessarily in perfect harmony.

All in all, to sum up my points

- The defense/rebounding and Doc substitutions may play more into the reserves woes than their offense (stats back it up)
- lack of something does not equal inconsistency
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by WadeFTW: 12:18am On Dec 09, 2008
lai-lai:

cavs are definitely more than just lebron now and last year, it was d home court advantage as A-40 said

LeBrons supporting cast had much more to do w/ their success, than home court advantage.

God, do any of you guys ever take defense and rebounding into consideration? Its not all about offense in the NBA, you know.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by lailai2(m): 12:42am On Dec 09, 2008
@wafeftw
are u saying that cavs were still more likely to lose last year even if they had homecourt advantage?

and your second point is like announcing on a microphone that 1 + 1 = 2
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 1:45am On Dec 09, 2008
WadeFTW:

LLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!! [b]Dirk doesn't even PLAY like a traditional big man. He is a poor man & help defender, and his team has REGRESSED over the last few years. He is an afterthought.[/b]
He is European!! how does the typical European big man play? where do you watch your basketball sef?Dirk still has game he still puts up 20 + points 9 rebounds and 3 assists per night he is still Mr Maverick and still has game what we need to do is get rid of Jason Kidd he has been producing stinker after stinker

lai-lai:

I just hope they can make 1st seed although with the way the Celts are playing thats unlikely to happen and now that they have established that they have the pistons like defense of old the question now is can they get some offense from Pavlovic,Gibson,Ilgauskas,West,Szcerbiak,Wallace and the other loafers
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by JeSoul(f): 3:08am On Dec 09, 2008
WadeFTW:

Exactly. Stating that one has lack of offense is simply expressing the fact that they are a total liability and cannot be looked upon at any time as a viable option.

Stating inconsistency is expressing the fact the Celts have a tendency to show great spurts offensively, showing flashes of potential and promise, but not necessarily in perfect harmony.

All in all, to sum up my points

- The defense/rebounding and Doc substitutions may play more into the reserves woes than their offense (stats back it up)
I see it was my choice of words that was the issue. As for your 1st point, I say time will expose more which is which. I'm convinced our present bench will not be enuff for a repeat, but we'll see sha.

It can depending on the context. For instance say the game vs the Pacers the bench drops 60pts, the next game they drop 10, in that game there was a lack of offense, and overall they are being inconsistent. I hope you see what I meant now.

A-40:

He is European!! how does the typical European big man play? where do you watch your basketball sef?Dirk still has game he still puts up 20 + points 9 rebounds and 3 assists per night he is still Mr Maverick and still has game what we need to do is get rid of Jason Kidd he has been producing stinker after stinker
Doyin look at what you've done oh . . .
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by bawomolo(m): 4:14pm On Dec 09, 2008
jesoul wetin be the site, i have a liking for music that puts me to bed cheesy

He is European!! how does the typical European big man play? where do you watch your basketball sef?

you and your excuses, you sure you not working for dirk nowitzki PR incorporated grin

dirk is soft plain and simple. biedrins is european but still a much better rebounder and defender than Dirk nowinzki.

in the latest derrick rose news, it seems my man has been into a lot of BDSM lately. be safe bro grin

[url]http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-09-bulls-chicagodec09,0,292375.story[/url]
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by omitutu: 4:47pm On Dec 09, 2008
na wa oo

So una jus dey knw say our Jesoul na audio-visual superstar.

Jesoul na o seti lele  grin grin grin she set finish

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (101) (Reply)

Picture Of Vincent Enyeama And Wife / Lionel Messi, Taye Taiwo, And Mikel Obi In 2005 (Throwback Photo) / Victor Osimhen's Look After Clashing Head Injury (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.