Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,631 members, 7,813,087 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

Club-Lexus - Car Talk (140) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Club-Lexus (353562 Views)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / The Toyota / Lexus Hybrid Thread. / Guys, I Really Need Your Sincere Advice. Lexus RX300 Or Acura MDX ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (137) (138) (139) (140) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Club-Lexus by AutoJando: 9:39pm On Mar 30
Elui2:
Hello fam.

Pls apart from hardex gold engine oil for Lexus es350 which other brand is also very good but not too expensive.

The price of hardex gold is much now.

This Hardex, I don't want to call out a whole company wrongly. I had a customer who did oil change with this brand on his 2 cars: Acura MDX 2008 and Toyota Camry 2009. It will be unebelievable if I tell you that the Camry's engine got knocked, on the same day, the Acura's oil light too was blinking. Luckily I was on call with his wife(she drives the Acura) when this incident occured. I instructed her to quickly shut off the car and seek a mechanic that I can guide remotely. The oil and the filter were changed and that was all. For the camry, I ended up having to rebuild the engine for almost 300k, plus the gear was slipping too, had to fix that. 450k later, the car was back on the road. Toks engine and gearbox was like 1.1m then

So back to the topic, I advice you go back to what we knew. Mobil is fine IF you buy from a Mobil filling station. But the right grade!

#AutoJando

5 Likes

Re: Club-Lexus by Elui2(m): 12:58pm On Apr 04
AutoJando:

This Hardex, I don't want to call out a whole company wrongly. I had a customer who did oil change with this brand on his 2 cars: Acura MDX 2008 and Toyota Camry 2009. It will be unebelievable if I tell you that the Camry's engine got knocked, on the same day, the Acura's oil light too was blinking. Luckily I was on call with his wife(she drives the Acura) when this incident occured. I instructed her to quickly shut off the car and seek a mechanic that I can guide remotely. The oil and the filter were changed and that was all. For the camry, I ended up having to rebuild the engine for almost 300k, plus the gear was slipping too, had to fix that. 450k later, the car was back on the road. Toks engine and gearbox was like 1.1m then

So back to the topic, I advice you go back to what we knew. Mobil is fine IF you buy from a Mobil filling station. But the right grade!

#AutoJando

How much is the Mobil oil?

1 Like

Re: Club-Lexus by jimts(m): 3:54pm On Apr 04
Elui2:

How much is the Mobil oil?

Too many variant of mobil oil there are;
The oga pata pata of them all na Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 0W-40. This is sold at 60k(5 liters) in Madalla Mobil filling station

2. There's this one they call 3000, I think 22k 4liters

3. There's one they call 1000 xhp 20W-50, I think 18k

4. There's this one with blue gallon they call "special", 20W-50, this was the one I bought last time I was there @14,500.

This was on 01/04/2024

Use the same grade as the one you've been using.

For your ES350, the recommended oil is 5W-30

#AutoJando

1 Like

Re: Club-Lexus by jceesquare(m): 6:26am On Apr 05
AutoJando:

#AutoJando
So was it the Hardex that killed the engine and cause the slip?
Just curious to know.
And how if it's the culprit.

1 Like

Re: Club-Lexus by kingreign(m): 7:42am On Apr 05
jceesquare:

Just curious to know.

If you believe this, you'd believe any thing!
Re: Club-Lexus by jceesquare(m): 9:28am On Apr 05
kingreign:

If you believe this, you'd believe any thing!
E get wetin I dey find.
Dem say person wey dey ask questions no dey miss road ogami grin, na wetin make me ask.
I've seen a well maintained car spin it's bearing because the mechanic decided to cheapen out on oil filter during the last oil change.
Re: Club-Lexus by kingreign(m): 11:47am On Apr 05
jceesquare:

E get wetin I dey find.
Dem say person wey dey ask questions no dey miss road ogami grin, na wetin make me ask.
I've seen a well maintained car spin it's bearing because the mechanic decided to cheapen out on oil filter during the last oil change.
Gbam.
This will cause an engine failure even when the most expensive and over engineered oil is used.

1 Like

Re: Club-Lexus by jceesquare(m): 2:34pm On Apr 05
kingreign:

Gbam.
This will cause an engine failure even when the most expensive and over engineered oil is used.

Na as the man say the oil brand used made him customer oil light flicker make me dey ask 😁
Re: Club-Lexus by wondarkid: 11:13pm On Apr 05
Please help me I have a problem with my Lexus Es350

I have been using this car for 2 years with no issue but yesterday while driving the radio just went off and immediately the car shut down while
Driving and won’t start immediately,I had to wait for an hour before it could start again ,same thing happened today ,I took the car to a rewire for scan he said it’s a wiring problem

Has anyone had similar issue before ??

1 Like

Re: Club-Lexus by DanielsParker(m): 7:51pm On Apr 06
wondarkid:
Please help me I have a problem with my Lexus Es350

I have been using this car for 2 years with no issue but yesterday while driving the radio just went off and immediately the car shut down while
Driving and won’t start immediately,I had to wait for an hour before it could start again ,same thing happened today ,I took the car to a rewire for scan he said it’s a wiring problem

Jsut yesterday, I saw one Es350 being rewired close to my house. I don’t know if this is a general issue with Es350. Owner has spent 350k+ on wire.
Just make sure what the issue is before doing the rewire.
Re: Club-Lexus by vivalavida(m): 11:11pm On Apr 06
DanielsParker:

Jsut yesterday, I saw one Es350 being rewired close to my house. I don’t know if this is a general issue with Es350. Owner has spent 350k+ on wire.
Just make sure what the issue is before doing the rewire.

A car rewired by a Nigerian car electrician?
If na me, once the car start, I Don sell am.

1 Like

Re: Club-Lexus by jimts(m): 8:32am On Apr 07
jceesquare:

Just curious to know.

Thanks for asking.
The background story is that it is this same Hardex that the customer has been using for about a year plus. Upon first engagement with the customer, I asked them which oil they use in their Camry 2AZ engine (I noticed this particular engine wasn't burning oil, contrary what we know of most 2AZ engine), he said they use Hardex for both cars, then I told him to maintain using the oil. In fact, I've heard from other colleagues that the oil is good, just haven't tried it yet.

When the customer gave me the car for other tune-ups, I insisted that I won't change the oil because I can't find that particular brand around me. This time, it was the camry I worked on. After a month plus of delivering the car, they decided to change oil for both cars at once on the SAME day by the SAME mechanic they've been using in their area from the SAME vendor for oil and filter.
Now, a week after the oil change, he called me on phone to tell me that he heard some weird sound when started the camry that morning. I was curious, I burnt my fuel, got to his house and replicated the problem. This is NOT the regular cold start rattling sound of vvt gear and the sound last for up to a minute before it disappears. No oil light, checked vvt solenoid and it looked dirty. I cleaned it and reinstalled. Problem disappeared only for a few days. I came back again, cleaned the vvt filter screen behind the engine(it wasn't even dirty). It persisted!
Meanwhile, that same period, his wife driving the Acura started complaining that sometimes after she starts the car the oil light stay for some seconds before it goes off. Then there was this warning on the gauge cluster (oil pressure low). I removed the oil pressure sensor/switch, cleaned it and put it back. Problem disappeared for a few days just like the camry. I adviced them to do another oil change for both cars, that this coincidence is just weird. They said they couldn't afford to, so I told them to at LEAST change the filters and let's monitor and see. They didn't do that! A few weeks from that time, the camry engine knocked when the man was driving to work. Some car owners are not observant or are careless. Even when the car was making that grinding noise continously, the man decided to still drive to work like that. His wife warned him not to, but he persisted. Now, on the same day after the deed was done, he called me to seek towing assistance. He also sent me video to confirm the "sound" of the engine. It was obviously a knocking sound. He had sent same video to his wife and she confirmed that the engine was knocked even before he sought my assistance. Now, the wife being a bit more experienced than him with car repairs, called me and asked me to inquire price of engine and gear(the gear to had shifting concerns, we already had plans to replace it, faulty ABS module destroyed the gear because they drove it for months without speedo readings, a lot of crazy things happening on the dash back then which I helped them rectify). As I was giving the wife feedback on the engine price while on phone, I heard her saying that the engine oil light for the Acura was blinking when she just started the car now. I told her to immediately shut it off and seek the attention of a nearby mech. She finally agreed that she will go aggressive with this situation and went ahead to change the oil and filter. Guess what, all the oil related problems for the Acura disappeared. Funny thing is, she used the same oil but from another vendor.
The camry ended up being towed to my workshop, weeks after I had time for it, we replaced the spun bearings, cut the crankshaft without opening the top cylinder. Everything was done from below. The gear too, we overhauled it because they couldn't buy toks for 450k back then. We restored it for 250k plus about 200k for the engine. The car has been on the road for more than 2 months now. They've not called me to lay any complain except to plan for next oil change.

So here's the deal, mechanics/car owners come here to explain their experiences with cars to the best of their ability in order to give or seek assistance, if you just show up to disregard all they've said just because you feel you're an authority in the car repair industry, it completely nullifies the whole point of the forum. People can make mistake, yes! When they do, call to their attention where the mistake/error is in order to protect other forum members from being misled. But if all one looks out for is to downplay the input of his fellow petrol heads, then it completely negates the need for a thread like this. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone for saying this, its just something noteworthy in order to ensure that the original purpose of a thread is sustained.

Thank you,

#AutoJando

3 Likes

Re: Club-Lexus by jceesquare(m): 8:43am On Apr 07
jimts:

Thanks for asking.
The background story is that it is this same Hardex that the customer has been using for about a year plus. Upon first engagement with the customer, I asked them which oil they use in their Camry 2AZ engine (I noticed this particular engine wasn't burning oil, contrary what we know of most 2AZ engine), he said they use Hardex for both cars, then I told him to maintain using the oil. In fact, I've heard from other colleagues that the oil is good, just haven't tried it yet.

When the customer gave me the car for other tune-ups, I insisted that I won't change the oil because I can't find that particular brand around me. This time, it was the camry I worked on. After a month plus of delivering the car, they decided to change oil for both cars at once on the SAME day by the SAME mechanic they've been using in their area from the SAME vendor for oil and filter.
Now, a week after the oil change, he called me on phone to tell me that he heard some weird sound when started the camry that morning. I was curious, I burnt my fuel, got to his house and replicated the problem. This is NOT the regular cold start rattling sound of vvt gear and the sound last for up to a minute before it disappears. No oil light, checked vvt solenoid and it looked dirty. I cleaned it and reinstalled. Problem disappeared only for a few days. I came back again, cleaned the vvt filter screen behind the engine(it wasn't even dirty). It persisted!
Meanwhile, that same period, his wife driving the Acura started complaining that sometimes after she starts the car the oil light stay for some seconds before it goes off. Then there was this warning on the gauge cluster (oil pressure low). I removed the oil pressure sensor/switch, cleaned it and put it back. Problem disappeared for a few days just like the camry. I adviced them to do another oil change for both cars, that this coincidence is just weird. They said they couldn't afford to, so I told them to at LEAST change the filters and let's monitor and see. They didn't do that! A few weeks from that time, the camry engine knocked when the man was driving to work. Some car owners are not observant or are careless. Even when the car was making that grinding noise continously, the man decided to still drive to work like that. His wife warned him not to, but he persisted. Now, on the same day after the deed was done, he called me to seek towing assistance. He also sent me video to confirm the "sound" of the engine. It was obviously a knocking sound. He had sent same video to his wife and she confirmed that the engine was knocked even before he sought my assistance. Now, the wife being a bit more experienced than him with car repairs, called me and asked me to inquire price of engine and gear(the gear to had shifting concerns, we already had plans to replace it, faulty ABS module destroyed the gear because they drove it for months without speedo readings, a lot of crazy things happening on the dash back then which I helped them rectify). As I was giving the wife feedback on the engine price while on phone, I heard her saying that the engine oil light for the Acura was blinking when she just started the car now. I told her to immediately shut it off and seek the attention of a nearby mech. She finally agreed that she will go aggressive with this situation and went ahead to change the oil and filter. Guess what, all the oil related problems for the Acura disappeared. Funny thing is, she used the same oil but from another vendor.
The camry ended up being towed to my workshop, weeks after I had time for it, we replaced the spun bearings, cut the crankshaft without opening the top cylinder. Everything was done from below. The gear too, we overhauled it because they couldn't buy toks for 450k back then. We restored it for 250k plus about 200k for the engine. The car has been on the road for more than 2 months now. They've not called me to lay any complain except to plan for next oil change.

So here's the deal, mechanics/car owners come here to explain their experiences with cars to the best of their ability in order to give or seek assistance, if you just show up to disregard all they've said just because you feel you're an authority in the car repair industry, it completely nullifies the whole point of the forum. People can make mistake, yes! When they do, call to their attention where the mistake/error is in order to protect other forum members from being misled. But if all one looks out for is to downplay the input of his fellow petrol heads, then it completely negates the need for a thread like this. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone for saying this, its just something noteworthy in order to ensure that the original purpose of a thread is sustained.

Thank you,

#AutoJando
All this epistle for a simple question?
No one is an authority in car repairs. Not even the manufacturers because they also recall their products and improve on their errors.
Re: Club-Lexus by jimts(m): 9:13am On Apr 07
jceesquare:

All this epistle for a simple question?
No one is an authority in car repairs. Not even the manufacturers because they also recall their products and improve on their errors.

It was indeed originally a simple question but later laced with intents of sarcasm in your following comments. Read the ensuing comments after your question and tell me why it is not necessary for me to make out time and respond to your question holistically.

I started my original comment with "I don't want to call out a brand wrongly", to tell you that I had reservations about the brand knowing that my colleagues in the trade recommend the oil for use.

Do you know that the vendor later apologized to the car owner for everything that happened. Do you know that during the overhaul of the engine, I met a choked oil filter? Do you know that the oil vendor threatened her oil filter supplier for counterfeit product? And it is the SAME product she has been supplying my customers for more than 5 years?

No abeg, the epistle was necessary. But like I said, I mean no single pint of disrespect to anyone and as you have rightly said, no one is an authority in this space. Recalls and class action lawsuits fly all over the place when manufacturer make errors/mistakes in their cars. So yeah, its all good!

#AutoJando

3 Likes

Re: Club-Lexus by Babatundehy: 9:15am On Apr 07
jimts:

Thanks for asking.

Thank you,

#AutoJando

Keep up the good work, that vendor should be Investigated, the conclusion most people will draw from this experience is that their vendor started selling fakes (knowingly or unknowingly), if the same brand of oil shut off the warning lights and had engine working optimally then the last oil change didn't go well, the sellers of fake oil don't have a heart, they know the implication is this dark behaviour of theirs (buyer spending thousands on engine rebuild or a million+ on used engine with no warranty) but they don't care.
Also, all forums are like this, rather than it being a proper forum, a place where people come together to discuss issues, share experiences and ideas, tips and tricks, it often becomes a place to attack one in the trade, challenge expertise, and or downplay an experience, na normal thing, let us all keep sharing, the forum has already become a compendium of knowledge, bants and cruise, lets keep it so Naija hard lol.

1 Like

Re: Club-Lexus by jimts(m): 11:26am On Apr 07
[quote author=wondarkid post=129289715]Please help me I have a problem with my Lexus Es350

Did he show you with evidence how it is a wiring problem? And how did he say he planned to fix it?

Did it rain heavily in recent times in your area?
Was there ANY work done on the car prior to this happening.
Find someone competent to tell you exactly what he would do to fix the problem and charge you accordingly. Don't allow anyone to "rewire" your car, you will lose taste with the outcome.

#Autojando
Re: Club-Lexus by jimts(m): 11:28am On Apr 07
Babatundehy:

Keep up the good work, that vendor should be Investigated, the conclusion most people will draw from this experience is that their vendor started selling fakes (knowingly or unknowingly), if the same brand of oil shut off the warning lights and had engine working optimally then the last oil change didn't go well, the sellers of fake oil don't have a heart, they know the implication is this dark behaviour of theirs (buyer spending thousands on engine rebuild or a million+ on used engine with no warranty) but they don't care.
Also, all forums are like this, rather than it being a proper forum, a place where people come together to discuss issues, share experiences and ideas, tips and tricks, it often becomes a place to attack one in the trade, challenge expertise, and or downplay an experience, na normal thing, let us all keep sharing, the forum has already become a compendium of knowledge, bants and cruise, lets keep it so Naija hard lol.

Thanks BabaT!
Learning is a continous process and I believe that's the reason people gather in a forum like this to share problems/solutions for our collective good.

Thanks once again for your contribution

#AutoJando

1 Like

Re: Club-Lexus by incogni2o: 3:21pm On Apr 07
Thanks for the support
Re: Club-Lexus by jimts(m): 5:46pm On Apr 07
incogni2o:
Hello Everyone,

Just travelled down to my state from Lagos and as I was about getting home, My es330 stopped as I was about climbing a bump. I eventually started it after it was a bit reluctant and packed by the road side upon which I discovered the coolant was totally dry and temperature Guage was high,

Also discovered the fans were rolling at very slow speed.

This is my second overheating experience with this Car. 3 years used.

what should I look out for when with a mechanic.

Also does anyone have any experience with maintaining a Rx400H or Rx450H. My current es330 not mpg efficient at ol.

Sorry about your experience. Fortunately for me, my ownership experience with the ES330 was a very stress-free one until I decided to get an SUV and put it up for sale recently.

For you to have driven for very long before you ran our of coolant, this is likely a very small leak that you may not be able to see easily with your naked eyes. In fact, the coolant loss might be in form of steam as you're driving down the road. It could be from your radiator cap, there could be a small crack on the top of bottom radiator manifold, it could be a punctured cell, it could be an improperly installed hose clamp, it could be a leaking reservoir or any of the hoses in the coolant lines....hell it could even be a leaking headgasket where coolant sips into the combustion chamber and washes the piston crown. Long story short, there's a lot to inspect to be able to pinpoint the problem and this might need a remote diagnosis.
The coolant fans rolling slowly might be a faulty ECTS sensor on the radiator manifold below..i.e if the wiring of the car is still functioning as it should.

Remote diagnosis is difficult, if you're in Abj, then perhaps I can give a hand.

#AutoJando

2 Likes

Re: Club-Lexus by Fieryblaze: 1:47am On Apr 08
Maxcoded:

Okay so an update on this

Please where is the location of the person that helped you fix this? I am having the exact same problem now.
Re: Club-Lexus by multibalotel: 9:34pm On Apr 08
Hello Guys.. i ise a 07 lexus is250 with 98k miles pls I have an issue with my transmission ... anytime I put my gear in reverse it idles and picks very slowly and cannot reverse uphill ..took it to a mechanic and he faulted the transmission and advised for me to change the gear and also told me that if I change the gear oil it might fix the issue or make the problem worse... am in a dilemma .. your contributions and advice would be appreciated
Re: Club-Lexus by olumzzz(m): 3:50am On Apr 09
multibalotel:
Hello Guys.. i ise a 07 lexus is250 with 98k miles pls I have an issue with my transmission ... anytime I put my gear in reverse it idles and picks very slowly and cannot reverse uphill ..took it to a mechanic and he faulted the transmission and advised for me to change the gear and also told me that if I change the gear oil it might fix the issue or make the problem worse... am in a dilemma .. your contributions and advice would be appreciated
Have you scanned the gear?
Re: Club-Lexus by Abbeyismo(m): 10:13am On Apr 09
multibalotel:
Try scan the the car first sir
Re: Club-Lexus by multibalotel: 12:46pm On Apr 09
Abbeyismo:

Try scan the the car first sir
I scanned it and its indicating the selonoid
Re: Club-Lexus by Abbeyismo(m): 5:35pm On Apr 09
multibalotel:
I scanned it and its indicating the selonoid
Wish of the solenoid sir? Drop scan code
Re: Club-Lexus by Makengo(m): 11:21am On Apr 13
I have front bumper and lights for 2015 GS350 for sale. Call me if interested. 08173480345

Re: Club-Lexus by Makengo(m): 11:22am On Apr 13
I have front bumper and lights for 2015 GS350 for sale. Call me if interested. 08173480345

I am also.looking to buy front bumper and lights for the 2020 GS350 sport.

Re: Club-Lexus by Meklex(m): 8:43pm On Apr 15
Please where can I get this knock sensor that will work for my es 300. I have changed these sensors up to 5 different times and none worked. I want to solve this check engine light once and for all.

Re: Club-Lexus by Issyboy4real(m): 11:27pm On Apr 16
Good evening sirs and ma's, I'm a lexus es330 user and I am currently having an issue... It started with my gearbox and I got another one, the mechanic advised to convert to 10pin but now I'm kinda regretting it...when I engage the gear it engages forcefully and also it only changes to 4th gear and that's all... I want to know if this is Normal..
The second issue is that today I just noticed my car won't rev past @1500rpm even without engaging the gear and i match the accelerator pedal to the floor...
Pls I need help
Re: Club-Lexus by Dozieson(m): 10:57am On Apr 17
Issyboy4real:
Good evening sirs and ma's, I'm a lexus es330 user and I am currently having an issue... It started with my gearbox and I got another one, the mechanic advised to convert to 10pin but now I'm kinda regretting it...when I engage the gear it engages forcefully and also it only changes to 4th gear and that's all... I want to know if this is Normal..
The second issue is that today I just noticed my car won't rev past @1500rpm even without engaging the gear and i match the accelerator pedal to the floor...
Pls I need help

same gear issue, please replace the gear with the specified 13pin and have peace

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Club-Lexus by Gody05(m): 3:26am On Apr 18
Hi everyone, please I am planning to join club Lexus gang soon but I need help in choosing between ES 350 or IS 350.
I prefer IS 350 tho but I am looking for an experienced lexus user opinion before drawing my conclusions.
And lastly how much can I get IS 350 2007 or 2008 presently now. I would prefer cost estimation of both Nigerian used and Toks. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (137) (138) (139) (140) (Reply)

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.