Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,969 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? (5809 Views)

Going To The West To Beg As Victims Can't Solve Our Problems - Okonji-Iweala / For Those Blaming Nnadi Kanu And IPOB For Dividing Nigeria / 5000 Naira Notes: The Solution To Our Problems? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 10:18am On Oct 30, 2013
Igbos are sort of landlocked and will be at the mercies of those in the coastal region to be able to thrive in what they do best- Importation
Besides they have more at stake because they migrate a lot and have lots of choice properties scattered all over Nigeria.
Igbos hardly rally around a common political idea, this coupled with the many communities(some speaking what others cannot understand with some even claiming they are not Igbos like the Onitcha people) will really make inter dissatisfaction inevitable.
These days, there is hardly an Igbo community or town that is not divided especially in Anambra. You hear of autonomous communities here and there. This divisions clearly show that an average Igbo man want control. In this new Eastern country, who will lead them and into how many countries will they divide in the near future.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 10:54am On Oct 30, 2013
One big thing the Hausas will miss is Oil- well I mean the Northern elites. An average Northerner lives a simple life and knows little or nothing about Oyel money. The anger he feels or injustice felt is carefully taken care of in his religion so he asks no questions and is a good follower.
The big problem lies in where all the cattle will graze and how all the agricultural produce will be turned to cash. Make no mistake about it but once Nigeria disintegrate, all the new regions will make Agriculture a top priority.
The North has a lot of power brokers and I wonder who will step aside. The Kanuris and the Fulanis will have to slog it out.
How about the many minorities? Will they stay put or simply form a small country.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 11:26am On Oct 30, 2013
Sentiments aside, I feel we all need one another.
The south east need the coastal areas and other parts of Ngeria to migrate to freely and those areas need the Igbos to populate them and to breed development there.
The south south have oil which have also been discovered in some other region. The oil have ravaged the SS ecology and they need to freely go anywhere developed with the funds from 'oyel' and use whatever their 'oyel' money was built with till 'thy kingdom come' without fear of harassment.
The westerners need the population of Lagos because in it lies their strength. The development in Lagos will spill to other western states and therein lies the beauty. What is the essence of infrastructure if ther is nobody to use it.
Ask those who built Tinapa...
The northers depend on oil wells just as other parts of Nigeria depend on their agricultural produce which they need a market for.
For all the minorities, your problems will not be solved because there would always be a majority.

I sincerely think decentralizing the center and empowering the federating units is all we need in Nigeria now.

I rest my case
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 30, 2013
iphy42: Igbos are sort of landlocked and will be at the mercies of those in the coastal region to be able to thrive in what they do best- Importation
Besides they have more at stake because they migrate a lot and have lots of choice properties scattered all over Nigeria.
Igbos hardly rally around a common political idea, this coupled with the many communities(some speaking what others cannot understand with some even claiming they are not Igbos like the Onitcha people) will really make inter dissatisfaction inevitable.
These days, there is hardly an Igbo community or town that is not divided especially in Anambra. You hear of autonomous communities here and there. This divisions clearly show that an average Igbo man want control. In this new Eastern country, who will lead them and into how many countries will they divide in the near future.

Dat is a problem but I trust Igbo to sort that out.
Any Igbo problem is better than the Nigeria's problem
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 12:19pm On Oct 30, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Dat is a problem but I trust Igbo to sort that out.
Any Igbo problem is better than the Nigeria's problem

I wonder how they will deal with the problem of being landlocked. There is Nigeria and they are being deported from Nigeria. Imagine what will happen to them if Nigeria disintegrates!
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by nairalad: 1:05pm On Oct 30, 2013
pro01: The topic seemed interesting to me, and I immediately had a clear opinion I wanted to express. . .until I read the NONSENSE the OP spewed. What rubbish!

What does it matter to you (OP) that the Niger Delta supposedly mismanages its own 'oyel' resources? How does that make any difference to the unity or secession debate? Is it not better for a man to lavish his own inherited wealth, than to have unproductive parasites reduce his 'ration' and deprive him of his patrimony?

Look, if you are serious about this topic, modify your post and remove the SENSELESS Niger-Delta bashing examples you cited. It seems you are an Aboki that cannot live without Niger Delta oil. Niger Delta oil is not the problem. ABOKI uselessness is the problem. Truth be told, in spite of the empty noise we make on NL, the rest of Nigeria can and will live together in unity WITHOUT the core Aboki north. Only the Aboki north would be reduced to nothingness if Nigeria divides. Igbo would thrive, Yoruba would thrive, South South would find a way to overcome their fraticidal wahala (Ijaw versus Itsekiri vs Urhobo bla bla) and manage their oil wealth, Middle Belt would survive. . . .. . .the entire south plus the Middle Belt will all live together and cooperate because each has something to offer to the other, and most importantly, are all socially compatible.

Only the useless, unproductive, and Islamically fanatical core north would become as wretched as their brothers in Chad and Niger Republic. No wonder they can't do without Niger Delta 'oyel'.

^
Bla bla.. now that your kinsman is at the helm of affairs what difference does it make?
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Oct 30, 2013
iphy42:

I wonder how they will deal with the problem of being landlocked. There is Nigeria and they are being deported from Nigeria. Imagine what will happen to them if Nigeria disintegrates!
LoL... We know we re landlocked, allow us go with our landlockness nw is it ur problem.
I don't know y when ppl talk of Nigeria's breakup the northerners and d yoruba's instead of them to be talking abt how they wud cope, they wud go and start arguing abt how Igbo's won't survive if Nigeria breaksup...lol'''who is fooling who
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 1:33pm On Oct 30, 2013
lygn19:
LoL... We know we re landlocked, allow us go with our landlockness nw is it ur problem.
I don't know y when ppl talk of Nigeria's breakup the northerners and d yoruba's instead of them to be talking abt how they wud cope, they wud go and start arguing abt how Igbo's won't survive if Nigeria breaksup...lol'''who is fooling who

You didn't read the write up. If you did, you will see that I covered all regions. Everyone has something to lose or gain! I want us to measure the pros and cons before taking a stand.
Our uniqueness lie in our strength and versatility.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:50pm On Oct 30, 2013
Nigeria is not sitting on a keg of gunpowder.
One fact remains that this country cannot split without blood being spilled before, during and after the split. For all ye E-Gladiators that think its by taking a knife and carving it you are all sorely mistaken, this country is way too diverse to split evenly anyways......along which lines? Religious? Ethnic? I am from the Niger delta, but that region would be the first to go up in flames if Nigeria does. Politicians in charge of the oil wealth would be way too powerful and those who say simply when they are tired its easier to throw out a bad government, thats easier said than done.

Even if Oduah was a Minister in the Republic of Igbos, the people from Anambra state would feel marginalized that their princess is being attacked by the other Igbo states. Even if it was the Republic of Anambra, the people of her local govt would stiil complain......the point is people would always see things that divide us regardless. The average Nigerian is first loyal to his stomach, before his tribe and Nigeria.

Nigeria's strength lies in its diversity, we need to practice true federalism and tackle our problems as they come. Any major conflict in this country would set us back a minimum of 30 years.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by 0monnakoda: 1:51pm On Oct 30, 2013
It will solve SOME problems and maybe create a few.
It will solve the Eboe problem for starters
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 30, 2013
iphy42: The biggest asset the Yorubas have is Lagos. Lagos is a conglomeration of diverse ethnicities and If Nigeria divides, the population of Lagos will reduce drastically together with it's influence. Investors will also dwindle.
Some States in the west will want to claim the Oodua capital and this will bring about serious division coupled with how leadership will emerge.
Foodstuffs brought in from other parts of Nigeria will be expensive especially meat and beans.
I do not forsee the Yorubas wanting to break Lagos which is already bribing development to other parts of the West.

[b]I see you're pulling prophecies out of your gash.
Before Lagos (which is Island only which was developed by FG), the rest of Lagos was developed by Western Region government and we will do it again and again - population reduction is what we want for better governance abeg. Good riddance!

Since Atlantic Slave trade era, Benin Empire contact with Lagos, Colonial Era to mention a few. Lagos had always attracted foreigners so tuck your logic of investors dwindling. Find a way to steal investors to help develop your east since you are only interested in 'developing' other people's lands as you've claimed but have a problem replicating these developments in/on your own lands.

You're funny WHAT foodstuff are imported that Yorubaland doesn't grow? Before Nigeria, Yorubaland has had meat and beans. Coupled with how we have all now become educated, I do not think anybody will lack in the aspect of agriculture.

No state is fighting over capital, we all know it is Ibadan - the melting point for all Yoruba people.

Bother about your region and your anti-development loot-ful leaders abeg angry angry angry angry angry[/b]

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Omarbah: 3:18pm On Oct 30, 2013
This is the classical case of ethnic problems in West Africa. People still do not get that politicians put up the threat to secede because they want political capital. The fact that Northern power has not served Northern people more than it did to southerners and the fact that GEJ's power has not served the Niger Deltans should be enough to tell Africans in general and Nigerians in particular that political activism should be done on the basis of convictions not tribalism. People that choose their leaders based on ethnicity are the most miserable.
And today, you hear some say " the North should not get power" or " it is Igbos' turn to rule". Don't be surprised, the day an Igbo gets power, Northerners will probably profit more than Igbos themselves. You know why? Because as an Igbo, he or she will take the Igbo electorate for granted and therefore look for support somewhere else. As long as we do not change the way we think, our leaders will not be accountable to us.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by 99100(m): 3:19pm On Oct 30, 2013
Y - E - S .
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Oct 30, 2013
iphy42:

If u knew the condition of the Igbo in 1970, just after the war, u will understand what I mean. they have seen it all.
Even as SE is landlocked currently, is any other region better than it.
Leave Lagos and Abuja out of the equation.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 30, 2013
9jacrip:

Before Lagos (which is Island only which was developed by FG), the rest of Lagos was developed by Western Region government and we will do it again and again - population reduction is what we want for better governance abeg. Good riddance!

Since Atlantic Slave trade era, Benin Empire contact with Lagos, Colonial Era to mention a few. Lagos had always attracted foreigners so tuck your logic of investors dwindling. Find a way to steal investors to help develop your east since you are only interested in 'developing' other people's lands as you've claimed but have a problem replicating these developments in/on your own lands.

You're funny WHAT foodstuff are imported that Yorubaland doesn't grow? Before Nigeria, Yorubaland has had meat and beans. Coupled with how we have all now become educated, I do not think anybody will lack in the aspect of agriculture.

No state is fighting over capital, we all know it is Ibadan - the melting point for all Yoruba people.

Bother about your region and your anti-development loot-ful leaders abeg angry angry angry angry angry[/b]

Don't get it twisted, Lagos is cosmopolitan.
Am sure those mainland parts of Lagos look better now than when they were under the western something something.
Igbos like being their own investors, yes, we invest everywhere but the little we put at Anambra and Abia already made those places the most indigenously industrialized places in Nigeria.
One love
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by IGBOSON1: 7:22pm On Oct 30, 2013
Circle-Of-Wilis:
one najeria

^^^By fire or by force! grin grin grin
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 30, 2013
Chrisbenogor: Nigeria is not sitting on a keg of gunpowder.
One fact remains that this country cannot split without blood being spilled before, during and after the split. For all ye E-Gladiators that think its by taking a knife and carving it you are all sorely mistaken, this country is way too diverse to split evenly anyways......along which lines? Religious? Ethnic? I am from the Niger delta, but that region would be the first to go up in flames if Nigeria does. Politicians in charge of the oil wealth would be way too powerful and those who say simply when they are tired its easier to throw out a bad government, thats easier said than done.

Even if Oduah was a Minister in the Republic of Igbos, the people from Anambra state would feel marginalized that their princess is being attacked by the other Igbo states. Even if it was the Republic of Anambra, the people of her local govt would stiil complain......the point is people would always see things that divide us regardless. The average Nigerian is first loyal to his stomach, before his tribe and Nigeria.

Nigeria's strength lies in its diversity, we need to practice true federalism and tackle our problems as they come. Any major conflict in this country would set us back a minimum of 30 years.

Inasmuch as I bliv Nig won't divide easily, I don't bliv the saying that Nig strength lies in its diversity, common, the diversity is a problem.
I mean its heterogeneously incompatible.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by IGBOSON1: 7:27pm On Oct 30, 2013
iphy42:

^^^Leave us to worry about our own problems....don't cry more than the bereaved!

Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 30, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Leave us to worry about our own problems....don't cry more than the bereaved!

LoL... I don't know for them o
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 8:46pm On Oct 30, 2013
9jacrip:

Since Atlantic Slave trade era, Benin
Empire contact with Lagos, Colonial Era to mention a few. Lagos had always attracted foreigners so tuck your logic of investors dwindling. Find a way to steal investors to help develop your east since you are only interested in 'developing' other people's lands as you've claimed
but have a problem replicating these developments in/on your own lands.
You're funny WHAT foodstuff are
imported that Yorubaland doesn't grow? Before Nigeria, Yorubaland has had meat and beans. Coupled with how we have all now become educated, I do not think anybody will lack in the aspect of agriculture.

Are you rock sure that no one is fighting for the capital of south west?

https://www.nairaland.com/1488368/national-conference-akure-good-candidate

Compare Festac, Satelite town, Okota, Lekki etc to Isale Eko, Mushin, Ajangbadi, Orile, Amukoko etc. Which of these places are more developed and who are the major developers or residents there.

I am not saying that Yorubas can't develop the West but the pace and quality of development would differ with a west collectively developed by Nigerians.
Pre colonial and post colonial era are not the same. A lot of water have passed under the bridge.
We all need each other.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 8:53pm On Oct 30, 2013
IGBO-SON:

If I state where I'm from, it might give the thread a tribalistic tone but since my own people are attacking me I think it's safe to say I am a detribalised Nigerian.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:01pm On Oct 30, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Inasmuch as I bliv Nig won't divide easily, I don't bliv the saying that Nig strength lies in its diversity, common, the diversity is a problem.
My dear it all depends what side of the lens you are looking at it from.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 9:07pm On Oct 30, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Even if Nigeria divides, will it solve the problem of diversity? We are too diverse to be homogenous no matter how we split it. How are we even going to split-along what lines exactly?
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 30, 2013
iphy42:

Even if Nigeria divides, will it solve the problem of diversity? We are too diverse to be homogenous no matter how we split it. How are we even going to split-along what lines exactly?

My own is that Igbos shd secede, the rest can sort themselves out as they want or even decide to stay tog.
Igboland has enough diversity to give it that fun of diversity; division will definitely reduce the burden of diversity to an extent
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by 0monnakoda: 9:42pm On Oct 30, 2013
yes Eboes should go.They can go to Bakassi
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Oct 30, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: Anything to separate me from yoruba people can only be a good thing.

cool
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by jmoore(m): 9:57pm On Oct 30, 2013
The unity of Nigeria is non-negotiable.

If Nigeria divides it will give birth to more than 1,000 countries with same problems that we are witnessing today.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by achi4u(m): 10:25pm On Oct 30, 2013
The name nigeria is not the problem but the attitude of its citizens. All of you here saying nigeria should not break knows that nigeria is not working except for a few previlage ones.
Ask the common man on the street and hear how the system have faired...people are suffering and smiling at the same time in this country.

The country should break up fast so that those who will survive will survive and those who cannot make it should give way for those who are vibrant enough to leave in a healthy new NATION.
I don't care who survive it,who loose their investment in a foreign land,who want to die in a far away country ...infact, let Igbos loose their investment for all I care ,the few ones that will survive will leave a healthy life.
The west /yorubas can keep their Lagos, manage it,deport as many as they want and control their borders. If any natural disaster like earth quake or tusinami hit them na their own business.

Let the north keep slaughtering their own fruits and also remeber to still destroy their limited and fragile economy but they should not forget to post it on Youtube.ndi ara.

Who cares about nigerdelta oil with their pollution? infact let them control their oil money very well but if its too hard for them to do...let them light fire in that thing so it will dry very fast.

Who again remain?

Metcheeeewww!
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Oct 30, 2013
jmoore: The unity of Nigeria is non-negotiable.

If Nigeria divides it will give birth to more than 1,000 countries with same problems that we are witnessing today.
And what do u think re d problems we re facing today?... We in d south know who re our problems so if those ppl get der asses bck to Niger where they come from, then its over.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 10:40pm On Oct 30, 2013
ngozievergreen:

My own is that Igbos shd secede, the rest can sort themselves out as they want or even decide to stay tog.
Igboland has enough diversity to give it that fun of diversity; division will definitely reduce the burden of diversity to an extent

I think Igbos will be badly hit by the
division because most of their investments are outside Igboland.

Besides an average Igboman will want to be in charge hence the many autonomous
communities you see everywhere in Igboland.

Have you not noticed that kingship in most communities in the East is no
longer by inheritance but by vote hence the word like Igwe elect. Does this not tell you that the Igbos will divide themselves until every family become a
country of its own With every man becoming a president. Haven't you heard
that 'Igbo ama Eze'.

Don't you think you are being selfish by not caring about what happens to other regions after you separate? Have you forgotten that some of your Igbo sisters live in these other tribes or regions by virtue of marriage?

God in His infinite wisdom brought us all together for a purpose. The only problem we have are our leaders who are
insatiably greedy.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by jmoore(m): 10:44pm On Oct 30, 2013
lygn19:
And what do u think re d problems we re facing today?... We in d south know who re our problems so if those ppl get der asses bck to Niger where they come from, then its over.

Corruption is visible in all states and dividing won't be the solution.
Nigeria can't divide so channel your passion to other things.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 30, 2013
jmoore:

Corruption is visible in all states and dividing won't be the solution.
Nigeria can't divide so channel your passion to other things.
Is it not d same sermon north sudan was singing to south sudan, until it happened. Y re u ppl so scared and obsessed abt dz breakup issue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2019: Group Promises 90 Per Cent Votes For Atiku In Cross River / Opinion: Why Do The Yorubas Exhibit High Level Of Religious Tolerance? / Fake Statistics Will Destroy The South West

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.