Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,398 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? (5821 Views)

Going To The West To Beg As Victims Can't Solve Our Problems - Okonji-Iweala / For Those Blaming Nnadi Kanu And IPOB For Dividing Nigeria / 5000 Naira Notes: The Solution To Our Problems? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by fiizznation: 12:16am On Oct 31, 2013
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by atlwireles: 12:17am On Oct 31, 2013
iphy42:

How are you sure that division will bring freedom? My point is this: are we going to import people from Mars to be our citizens, is it not the same set of selfish, corrupt, greedy people that will spill over from Nigeria and continue from where they stopped in the new countries?

Nigeria has been governed by a club of 100 men, for the past 53 years. Nigerians have not had a say yet in their lives.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by nyabingi(m): 12:20am On Oct 31, 2013
iphy42:

Maybe it's my turn to ask if you've been to the west or north before. If you have then you will know that nothing can cure the disaffection between the Igbos and Yorubas. Do you know how many people that were killed in Lagos in 1993 during the Abiola saga? If not for the Nigerian umbrella, the Yorubas would have long sent the Igbos away. The Igbos hate the Yorubas as much too. The Hausas on the other hand live in peace if not for religious fanatics that incite violence.
oga dont say what u dont know just because you have acess to a social site as this, im full blood igbo, born and raised in the north and spending adult life in the west, the igbo yoruba issue is born out if jelousy which can be corrected with politics but the north hate the igbos with passion both from religion and sicial angle!

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 12:20am On Oct 31, 2013
abagoro: Igbos don't hate anybody but most of these Nairaland Igbos are just PDP agents playing to the gallery of their masters. Igbos as a people are very individualistic and often have differed opinions on every issue and can never agree. So never judge all Igbos from what is seen on Nairaland.

I quite agree with you on Igbos being indidualistic but I don't want to sound biased. There are very mature considerate Yorubas as well as Igbos. I don't mean all Yorubas or Igbos.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 12:24am On Oct 31, 2013
iphy42:

I think Igbos will be badly hit by the
division because most of their investments are outside Igboland.

Besides an average Igboman will want to be in charge hence the many autonomous
communities you see everywhere in Igboland.

Have you not noticed that kingship in most communities in the East is no
longer by inheritance but by vote hence the word like Igwe elect. Does this not tell you that the Igbos will divide themselves until every family become a
country of its own With every man becoming a president. Haven't you heard
that 'Igbo ama Eze'.

Don't you think you are being selfish by not caring about what happens to other regions after you separate? Have you forgotten that some of your Igbo sisters live in these other tribes or regions by virtue of marriage?

God in His infinite wisdom brought us all together for a purpose. The only problem we have are our leaders who are
insatiably greedy.

The latter parts of ur posts have too much sentiments and I don't like sentiments.
y will I care what happens to the other parts shd igbos leave? Where were they when igbos were suffering to find their square root in the 70s? History never lies. They can stay tog without the igbos, if they wish.

For the first part, what do u mean by igbos have most of their investments outside igboland?
even If its true, how does that prevent secession?
U only become a citizen of the new/ host country, say Arewa republic but not an indigene .
If conditions become unfavorable, u sell the properties, if they buy them for peanuts, that will be ur luck, for doing it so late.
Igbos easily recover from such tnz, like I said, they have seen it all.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 12:26am On Oct 31, 2013
atlwireles:

They kill an average of 1000 Nigerian every year in the name of Allah, for past 60 years. Yet you call them peaceful grin grin grin grin grin

I have been to the North and I must tell you that asides religious fanatism and maybe the harsh weather, they are simple and honest people. Very hospitable and kind. The more reason why I hate Boko haram is that they are painting the whole of the North black. Mind you, some of these BH members are not Nigerians. I know some Hausas who had lost loved ones too.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 12:31am On Oct 31, 2013
iphy42:

I have been to the North and I must tell you that asides religious fanatism and maybe the harsh weather, they are simple and honest people. Very hospitable and kind. The more reason why I hate Boko haram is that they are painting the whole of the North black. Mind you, some of these BH members are not Nigerians. I know some Hausas who had lost loved ones too.

U didn't meet the hausas that matter.

Those fine qualities do they describe Ahmadu bello, Tafawa balewa, Buhari, IBB, Abacha or Yerima.
The hausas that matter are the problems in the north
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by atlwireles: 12:32am On Oct 31, 2013
iphy42:

I spent 12 years living in different army barracks in the North. They have been killing southerns before boko haram became an issue. Right from the 70s in Maiduguri, Yola, and Kaduna in the 80s. My parent were so worried, we never left the barracks, only on Sunday for church services.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 12:35am On Oct 31, 2013
nyabingi:
oga dont say what u dont know just because you have acess to a social site as this, im full blood igbo, born and raised in the north and spending adult life in the west, the igbo yoruba issue is born out if jelousy which can be corrected with politics but the north hate the igbos with passion both from religion and sicial angle!

I have lived in Lagos for more than 30 years and I'll tell you that Igbo Yoruba issue cannot be corrected by mere politicts. Yorubas are scared that the Igbos will take over Lagos and wants them to leave, the Igbos work hard, make money and flaunts it without qualms and bring more kinsmen to Lagos. It is a social thing and not a political thing. I have also being to the north but not for so long.
Maybe we interacted with different sets of people grin
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 12:40am On Oct 31, 2013
ngozievergreen:

The latter parts of ur posts have too much sentiments and I don't like sentiments.
y will I care what happens to the other parts shd igbos leave? Where were they when igbos were suffering to find their square root in the 70s? History never lies. They can stay tog without the igbos, if they wish.

For the first part, what do u mean by igbos have most of their investments outside igboland?
even If its true, how does that prevent secession?
U only become a citizen of the new/ host
country, say Arewa republic but not an indigene .
If conditions become unfavorable, u sell the properties, if they buy them for peanuts, that will be ur luck, for doing it so late.
Igbos easily recover from such tnz, like I said, they have seen it all.

If Lagos will deport Igbos when the law forbids it, what will happen when we divide and they are backed by law?
You have sisters married to Yorubas so you'll need a visa to visit them?
Btw By sisters I mean fellow Igbos not necessarily your blood relations.
What has sentiment got to do with looking out for others?
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 12:42am On Oct 31, 2013
atlwireles:

I spent 12 years living in different army barracks in the North. They have been killing southerns before boko haram became an issue. Right from the 70s in Maiduguri, Yola, and Kaduna in the 80s. My parent were so worried, we never left the barracks, only on Sunday for church services.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe I interacted with the cool headed ones
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by nyabingi(m): 6:20am On Oct 31, 2013
iphy42:

If Lagos will deport Igbos when the law forbids it, what will happen when we divide and they are backed by law?

igbo have lived in many part of the world and have also intermaried

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Greatken007(m): 6:59am On Oct 31, 2013
IT SEEMS ALL THOSE WHO WANT NIGERIA TO DIVIDE ARE DRUNK OR SOMETHING...WHEN IT HAPPEN THE PROBLEM YOU NEVER THOUGHT OF WILL BEGIN TO BE MORE VISIBLE,THEN YOU WIL SEE A POLITICIAN FORMING HIS OWN STATE,THEN THE HAUSA CHRISTIANS IN THE NORTH WIL BE SEEN AS HALFCAST,THE NUMBER OF AUTONOMOUS COMMUNITIES IN THE EAST WIL BE OUT OF CONTROL(WE AV ABOVE 100 IN IMO STATE PRESENTLY),IN FACT AMARAKU IN ISIALA-MBANO LGA HAS 5 VILLAGES WITH 3 EZE.PLATEAU STATE HAS OVER 100 ETHNIC GROUP,TARABA AROUND THAT SAME NUMBER,I AM A DELTAN FOR UR NOTICE,YORUBAS DONT REALLY HAVE MUCH PROBLEMS CUS FOR THEM ANYTHING GOES(FATHER CHRISTIAN,MOTHER MUSLIM OR THE OTHER WAY ROUND),TINUBU IS MARRIED TO A CHRISTIAN,FASHOLA IS MARRIED TO A CHRISTIAN AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON,FOR THE SOUTH SOUTH,NO BE SMALL WAR(UNA DON SEE IJAW AND ITSEKIRI FIGHT BEFORE?E PAS BIAFRA,WHERE WIL THE THE IGBO SPEAKING PARTS DIVE TO?),MY BROTHER NOTHING IS AS GOOD AS LIVING IN PEACE AND UNITY.THE QUESTION WE SHOULD ASK OURSELVES IS THIS,WHO ARE THOSE IN CHARGE OF FEDERAL CHARACTER?MY BROTHER DO U KNOW THAT KADUNA STATE STATE IS MORE DEVELOPED THAN DELTA STATE,ASIDE FROM UNI BEN,MENTION ONE HIGHER INSTITUTION THAT CAN BE COMPARED TO ABU ZARIA IN THE WHOLE OF SOUTH-SOUTH AND SOUTH EAST...(BOTH IN ACADEMIC,BEAUTY AND SIZE),ALTHOUGH UNIZIK AWKA IS FAST DEVELOPING AND AM ENCOURAGE WITH THE PACE AND BEING THE 2ND OVER SUBSCRIBED IN NIGERIA AFTER UNILAG,I AM NOT THE SENTIMENT TYPE AT ALL...

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 31, 2013
Greatken007: IT SEEMS ALL THOSE WHO WANT NIGERIA TO DIVIDE ARE DRUNK OR SOMETHING...WHEN IT HAPPEN THE PROBLEM YOU NEVER THOUGHT OF WILL BEGIN TO BE MORE VISIBLE,THEN YOU WIL SEE A POLITICIAN FORMING HIS OWN STATE,THEN THE HAUSA CHRISTIANS IN THE NORTH WIL BE SEEN AS HALFCAST,THE NUMBER OF AUTONOMOUS COMMUNITIES IN THE EAST WIL BE OUT OF CONTROL(WE AV ABOVE 100 IN IMO STATE PRESENTLY),IN FACT AMARAKU IN ISIALA-MBANO LGA HAS 5 VILLAGES WITH 3 EZE.PLATEAU STATE HAS OVER 100 ETHNIC GROUP,TARABA
so you are raying UNILAG UI,and OAU are underdeveloped schools? the south west boasts of the fairest and best schools in nigeria
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 8:00am On Oct 31, 2013
iphy42:

because I don't care abt others again

Will my sisters married to yorubas get deported too? I mean sb will allow his wife to be taken away from him, marriage shd provide indigenization nah. dat one no b problem sef.

U shd tell me abt the big men in Lagos who might be deported, that will not happen and like I said, they can sell their properties and return on their own.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 31, 2013
kwakayekaa: so you are raying UNILAG UI,and OAU are underdeveloped schools? the south west boasts of the fairest and best schools in nigeria

They were built when Nig was a better place

UI was built my the btitish
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 8:25am On Oct 31, 2013
ngozievergreen:

They were built when Nig was a better place

UI was built my the btitish
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by achi4u(m): 9:55am On Oct 31, 2013
Bia fiiznation or whatever u call urself next time u want to quote me make sure you've taking ur kparaga medicine with hot water in order to give you a clear cut.

@topic, we have experimented this union called nigeria for over 60 to 100 years without any positive thing to show for it,so why can't we experiment another diagnosis to know weather we can get it right this time.
I love nigeria but nigeria have never showed me any likeness for once rather she keeps denying me my basic right.

Nigeria cannever work the way it is now.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:13am On Oct 31, 2013
achi4u: Bia fiiznation or whatever u call urself next time u want to quote me make sure you've taking ur kparaga medicine with hot water in order to give you a clear cut.

@topic, we have experimented this union called nigeria for over 60 to 100 years without any positive thing to show for it,so why can't we experiment another diagnosis to know weather we can get it right this time.
I love nigeria but nigeria have never showed me any likeness for once rather she keeps denying me my basic right.

Nigeria cannever work the way it is now.
There is no divide button to press, the only way this country would part is through bloodshed simple.
Obviously you were not around the last time it happened, with the proliferation of weapons now through the whole of the arab world your basic right to type what you like on this forum would be for VIPs only.
Look at Libya for instance, Gadaffi united the whole country in hate or well most of it. The minute he was gone then all the various tribes started to remember the feuds they used to have with the people they fought side by side, today the country is worse off and there is no telling which direction the country would head to.
Splitting this country would never ever ever ever happen. The earlier you sit up and practice actively in the process that would bring about good governance the better for us all.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by fkaz(m): 11:30am On Oct 31, 2013
the best way to solved or minimised nigerians problem is to split this country in to regions, atleast it will reduced the cankerworm called corruption, which has greatly encourage nepotism and is killing the unity of the country. Corruption has also weaken our diversity. religious intolerance, ethnic bigotry is now at the climax due to our diversity. So the best way is to break the centre where the power is concentrated and bring it down closer to the people.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by achi4u(m): 2:21pm On Oct 31, 2013
Chrisbenogor:
There is no divide button to press, the only way this country would part is through bloodshed simple.
Obviously you were not around the last time it happened, with the proliferation of weapons now through the whole of the arab world your basic right to type what you like on this forum would be for VIPs only.
Look at Libya for instance, Gadaffi united the whole country in hate or well most of it. The minute he was gone then all the various tribes started to remember the feuds they used to have with the people they fought side by side, today the country is worse off and there is no telling which direction the country would head to.
Splitting this country would never ever ever ever happen. The earlier you sit up and practice actively in the process that would bring about good governance the better for us all.
Yet,the Libya you mentioned are way far better than nigeria in terms of good living, stable economy,higher life span,good environment and above all staying in their country.
Not that I wanted nigeria to break but if breaking the dammed country can save many lives that are being wasted every day then let nation break into many parts.

In Ghana and other tiny countries can make it ...why we?
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by macof(m): 5:49pm On Oct 31, 2013
iphy42: I have followed with interest the intrigues that surround the call for a Sovereign or Non sovereign National Conference.
Many have argued that 1914 amalgamation was a big mistake while others maintain that our strength is in our number.
I think we need to be informed before taking a stand so as not to join the bandwagon driven by sentiments, greed, avarice and struggle for political control by few individuals.
Let me start with the Niger Deltans. They believe they have been marginalized and their resources forcefully taken over from them to develop Nigeria and so on but I have these thoughts for them:
1. Their leaders have received derivation fund for years, what exactly has those
Niger deltan sons done with that fund to benefit the people of region?
All the compensation money from oil companies, has it being used to better the life of the people or to provide basic infrastructure?
2. The NDDC is manned by Niger deltans, yet their eyes and ears are closed to the suffering of their people. The leadership instead loot funds meant for development and enrich their cronies and immediate families.
3. The president is from Niger delta. Has he done enough to empower his people asides paying millions of dollars to an ex militant to secure pipelines which MEND claims to destroy thereby polluting the communal lands and waters more.

Now fast forward to a divided Nigeria, are these same people looting the region dry not the ones that will be the leaders then? What would they do differently? Will they suddenly become humane? I doubt so.
Will the ijaws not want to be in charge? Will the Urhobos and Itshekiris oblige them? Will the Kalabaris and Isokos tag along? Will the division that chased them
from Nigeria not tear them apart?

I really want objective input from well meaning Nigerians for or against division so as to know the real situation on ground before we embark on this journey of no return.

I'll be right back with more.

I don't perceive Isekiri anywhere outside Oduduwa nation
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by macof(m): 5:52pm On Oct 31, 2013
oil suop: it will not solve any problem look at south sudan the new country is now suffering from corupt leadership the common man is suffering while their ministers are buying big cars and 5 houses each sad

False
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 8:14pm On Oct 31, 2013
nyabingi:

igbo have lived in many part of the world and have also intermaried

I know but we have more Igbos married to Yorubas than those married outside Nigeria not to mention those in other parts of Nigeria.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 8:50pm On Oct 31, 2013
kwakayekaa: so you are raying UNILAG UI,and OAU are underdeveloped schools? the south west boasts of the fairest and best schools in nigeria

The writer wasn't referring to South Western universities, he only compared SS and SE universities to Northern universities.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 9:08pm On Oct 31, 2013
macof:

I don't perceive Isekiri anywhere outside Oduduwa nation

Will all itsekiris go with Oduduwa? How will they reconcile the land differences?
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by ezeagu(m): 10:23pm On Oct 31, 2013
iphy42:

I know but we have more Igbos married to Yorubas than those married outside Nigeria not to mention those in other parts of Nigeria.

What does that have to do with Igbo people living in Igboland?
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by macof(m): 10:27pm On Oct 31, 2013
I rep the Oduduwa nation.
Down with Nigeria
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 10:58pm On Oct 31, 2013
ezeagu:

What does that have to do with Igbo people living in Igboland?

Are you not your brother's keeper or are the not your own?
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Oct 31, 2013
iphy42:

Are you rock sure that no one is fighting for the capital of south west?

https://www.nairaland.com/1488368/national-conference-akure-good-candidate

Compare Festac, Satelite town, Okota, Lekki etc to Isale Eko, Mushin, Ajangbadi, Orile, Amukoko etc. Which of these places are more developed and who are the major developers or residents there.

I am not saying that Yorubas can't develop the West but the pace and quality of development would differ with a west collectively developed by Nigerians.
Pre colonial and post colonial era are not the same. A lot of water have passed under the bridge.
We all need each other.

Festac, Lekki etc are all enjoying the FG blueprints left behind - it is only right for people to follow the style of environment/development and structures met on ground which happens in most cases. You cant go to build a contraption in a high class neighbourhood, you'll frustrate yourself. The subpar neighbourhoods have high class sections in form of estates, yes? Dont make it seem like the entire places are horrible besides they look horrible as a result of over-population. If Igbos, Hausa etc go back to their region, 'touching' these places up will be easier - Fasola has tried bringing development but it is marred by same problem of population - people should go abeg. You must be aware of how crowded Iwo road in Ibadan was before? It is more saner now - you are aware of how horrible Gbogan to Osogbo road was - it is very drivable now. In short; SW is working in a nutshell.

Between I barely go around so those places you mentioned are aside Lekki are places Iv never been to and cant speak on - and Festac maybe twice and I do not known the way there except someonen takes me. The

Regardless of this, why should the west be collectively developed by Nigerians when Nigerians have not developed their home regions?

I followed that thread to the letter, the OP in a bid to raise a rational debate for a wide spread development across west entirely rabble roused and painted a picture of disunity which you are also touting - please dead it!
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 31, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Don't get it twisted, Lagos is cosmopolitan.
Am sure those mainland parts of Lagos look better now than when they were under the western something something.
Igbos like being their own investors, yes, we invest everywhere but the little we put at Anambra and Abia already made those places the most indigenously industrialized places in Nigeria.
One love

I dont know where you got your backing from to be sure they look better than before - the truth is these places are now worse off. Thanks to population explosion and constant migration which now makes Lagos cosmopolitan.

I wouldnt expect investors to put 'little' back home and I dont know what makes Anambra and Abia (i served in Abia) 'the most indigenously industrialized places in Nigeria' when its people cant get jobs or earn a living till they have crossed the Niger. What do these places produce and where is the market for their produce because obviously, people keep 'escaping from East' so, no ready market and Nigerians will pick foreign goods over local anyday. Going by this, what makes Anambra and Abia the most indigenously industrialized places in Nigeria.

Peace
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by lawani: 4:51pm On Jul 05, 2023
If Nigeria will ever work then it will be by building on what Britain left behind and forming an EU like union with common currency and common market and any group that wants a state given a state, state and LG police as well as regional military. Then states should be able to break or merge as they wish, states use their local languages to preserve them and representation at federal level be according to financial contribution from part of internally generated revenue meaning the percentage you contribute to federal budget will be your percentage of seats in the federal parliament. It can work like that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bauchi To Begin Work On 120MW Yankari Power Plant / TRAGEDY ;APC Supporter Hanged Himself On Tree After Joked That PDP Won. Picture. / SE/SS: The New Order We Must Establish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.