Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,711 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. (4968 Views)

Some Muslims Will Make Heaven While Some Christians Will Not. / Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? / Why Are Some Christians Poor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Danhumprey: 5:21pm On Oct 28, 2013
Caracta:

I don't think God wants us to tie our faith around an object. Addressing such things as goodluck items or whatever means your faith depends on them...i.e without them you expect no good. Isn't that idolatry?

Can't we just serve God without replacing/representing/restructuring Him with an ordinary piece of item? I can...i don't know about you all. God is enough for me.
yea. I support u 100 percent. I realy don't see the use of representing jesus christ with a cross. Which church do you attend?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Caracta(f): 5:27pm On Oct 28, 2013
Danhumprey: yea. I support u 100 percent. I realy don't see the use of representing jesus christ with a cross. Which church do you attend?

Oh...i thought i was the only one. Some unbelievers even use it because they believe it can ward off evil, bring good customers and give them long life. Drivers hang them in their cars and do not hesitate to cheat passengers or engage in sinful activities. Armed robbers use them during robbery activities, råpïsts, ritualists, etc.

As far as i know, God's power is in you! That's all you need.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Nomski0(f): 5:36pm On Oct 28, 2013
Caracta:

Thanks for that explanation.

To each his own. I wonder why you pray to it but it is your choice. I respect that. But i have just one question for you if you don't mind...Can you pray without it?
Of course i can pray without it. Its not like if you dont pray with it, God's not gonna answer your prayers. It doesnt also mean that if you pray with it/to it, its a sin or idolatry.

Its all about representing God in a form you can see. A form people can actually kneel to and pray, a form that you can see. Like the Ark of covenant the israelites carried, it was called that because they believed God dwelt there. The church is also an Ark, that's why we go there to praise him. It doesnt mean we serve idols, it just means we have faith that he's there.

Like when snakes bit the israelites and God told Moses to make a copper snake, hang it and tell them to look at it and be healed. The snake was an ark cause God dwelt in it. Its all about faith. Blind faith.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Ymodulus: 6:02pm On Oct 28, 2013
Nomski0: Of course i can pray without it. Its not like if you dont pray with it, God's not gonna answer your prayers. It doesnt also mean that if you pray with it/to it, its a sin or idolatry.

Its all about representing God in a form you can see. A form people can actually kneel to and pray, a form that you can see. Like the Ark of covenant the israelites carried, it was called that because they believed God dwelt there. The church is also an Ark, that's why we go there to praise him. It doesnt mean we serve idols, it just means we have faith that he's there.

Like when snakes bit the israelites and God told Moses to make a copper snake, hang it and tell them to look at it and be healed. The snake was an ark cause God dwelt in it. Its all about faith. Blind faith.
It is a sin.

Thrash. if i shud reply you some NL will shout atheist again
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Caracta(f): 6:02pm On Oct 28, 2013
Nomski0: Of course i can pray without it. Its not like if you dont pray with it, God's not gonna answer your prayers.

Thanks for being honest. My point exactly.

It doesnt also mean that if you pray with it/to it, its a sin or idolatry.

My Bible tells me to pray to God. That i will do. DIRECTLY!

My faith is not in church. My faith is in me. I go to church to fellowship. If i pray in my house, God hears. They carried the Ark before Jesus came to break the barrier. After Jesus came, there was no need for it.

This happened because Moses was the middleman between God and the Israelites. No atonement for sins yet. The moment the veil at the temple tore, they gained access to communicate with God directly. No further need for a staff or rod to perform wonders. No need for a statue or replica to gaze at for miracles.

Christ perfected it on the Cross. And He said, IT IS FINISHED! cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Nomski0(f): 6:12pm On Oct 28, 2013
Caracta:

My faith is not in church. My faith is in me. I go to church to fellowship. If i pray in my house, God hears. They carried the Ark before Jesus came to break the barrier. After Jesus came, there was no need for it.

This happened because Moses was the middleman between God and the Israelites. No atonement for sins yet. The moment the veil at the temple tore, they gained access to communicate with God directly. No further need for a staff or rod to perform wonders. No need for a statue or replica to gaze at for miracles.

Christ perfected it on the Cross. And He said, IT IS FINISHED! cheesy
As i said it all has to do with faith. Blind faith.

I pray to God through those things and its all cause i believe he's there. The woman with the issue of blood said that 'if i just touch his garments i'll be healed.' that's faith. She believed there was power from Above there. People believe that there's power in that particular cross.

Its obvious i cant convince you. Just know its about faith.

Peace.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by sakaguchi(m): 6:16pm On Oct 28, 2013
What's wrong with praying with a cross uh?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by sakaguchi(m): 6:23pm On Oct 28, 2013
Caracta:

I don't think a statue or replica was used to restore all that Job lost ( and that's in the old testament)
I also know that paul's handkerchief was sent to the sick and they were healed ( and that's in the new testament) obviously, there was no need for a Cross/Handkerchief to have the miracle, but then a handkerchief was use all the same. Naomski said it is not compulsory to pray with the cross but at the same time, it aint a crime to pray with it...I think she aptly hit that nail at the head
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Caracta(f): 7:22pm On Oct 28, 2013
Nomski0: As i said it all has to do with faith. Blind faith.

I pray to God through those things and its all cause i believe he's there. The woman with the issue of blood said that 'if i just touch his garments i'll be healed.' that's faith. She believed there was power from Above there. People believe that there's power in that particular cross.

Its obvious i cant convince you. Just know its about faith.

Peace.

I get your point. Peace unto you too cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Caracta(f): 7:24pm On Oct 28, 2013
sakaguchi:
I don't think a statue or replica was used to restore all that Job lost ( and that's in the old testament)
I also know that paul's handkerchief was sent to the sick and they were healed ( and that's in the new testament) obviously, there was no need for a Cross/Handkerchief to have the miracle, but then a handkerchief was use all the same. Naomski said it is not compulsory to pray with the cross but at the same time, it aint a crime to pray with it...I think she aptly hit that nail at the head

The people did not keep on using and keeping the handkerchief, did they?

I actually have no issue with what you believe in. We are just sharing opinions cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by sakaguchi(m): 7:30pm On Oct 28, 2013
Caracta:

The people did not keep on using and keeping the handkerchief, did they?

I actually have no issue with what you believe in. We are just sharing opinions cheesy
Yea! I agree with you, but you and I don't know if they kept the handkerchief...that's a fact. I don't pray with a cross, at least I don't consciously go before a cross and pray and I am not miffed if I when I pray with people infront of a cross, not at all, there aint nada wrong hun'
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Caracta(f): 7:50pm On Oct 28, 2013
sakaguchi:
Yea! I agree with you, but you and I don't know if they kept the handkerchief...that's a fact. I don't pray with a cross, at least I don't consciously go before a cross and pray and I am not miffed if I when I pray with people infront of a cross, not at all, there aint nada wrong hun'

Lol...if they kept the handkerchief and if it was important and right, don't you think it would have been mentioned?

Again, to each his own. I'm not here to judge anyone or say this is right or that is wrong. Nevertheless, i'm not convinced about praying to a cross.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by sakaguchi(m): 7:55pm On Oct 28, 2013
Caracta:

Lol...if they kept the handkerchief and if it was important and right, don't you think it would have been mentioned?

Again, to each his own. I'm not here to judge anyone or say this is right or that is wrong. Nevertheless, i'm not convinced about praying to a cross.
Praying to a cross? That is bad.
I thought the question was putting on a cross or praying infront/with a cross?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Caracta(f): 8:01pm On Oct 28, 2013
sakaguchi:
Praying to a cross? That is bad.
I thought the question was putting on a cross or praying infront/with a cross?

Maybe you should read her previous comments again.

As for me (NL doubting Thomas grin), i am not for praying to/with/by/through/in front/behind/on/around a physical cross cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by sakaguchi(m): 8:05pm On Oct 28, 2013
Caracta:

Maybe you should read her previous comments again.

As for me (NL doubting Thomas grin), i am not for praying to/with/by/through/in front/behind/on/around a physical cross cheesy
Good for you, and you're not wrong about that. BTW, never knew you frequent religion thread, kinda cool though!
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Caracta(f): 8:08pm On Oct 28, 2013
sakaguchi:
Good for you, and you're not wrong about that. BTW, never knew you frequent religion thread, kinda cool though!

I don't. The topic caught my attention.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by sakaguchi(m): 8:17pm On Oct 28, 2013
Caracta:

I don't. The topic caught my attention.
Same here.
Later then, maybe we'll meet at the other place.... smiley cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by studM(m): 8:50pm On Oct 28, 2013
Anything done outside faith in God and His word is idolatory,and its a sin
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Syncan(m): 9:03pm On Oct 28, 2013
Caracta: ^ ^ ^
The pictures of your loved ones you carry, you mean even the ones alive? You carry their pictures (or anything) everywhere you go? Day and night? Every moment of the day?

I love mine dearly, yes. I don't carry their pictures with me. They are in my heart. Pictures are in albums cheesy

Yes, they are in my phone gallery, they adorne my laptop as wallpaper and screen saver, I look at them when I cannot be with them physically, that's where I guess we are different. Now if I had the power to speak to communicate with them or assure them of my nearness through my picture, I will do so. The all powerful God has that ability, he has used ordinary items when He could do without them eg the bronze serpent, the cherubs, even the cross. Our religion is not one that started in the 21st century, The cross or crucifix was worn by those who spread christianity throughout continents, God showed His presence with them via numerous miracles. If God is pleased with it, why worry? After all to please God is the aim.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 9:25pm On Oct 28, 2013
chukwudi44: The OP as a member of the lord's chosen prefers apron.
Our apron is 4 advert n mind u dis nt d issue here.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 9:27pm On Oct 28, 2013
[quote
author=Caracta]

I don't think God wants us to tie our faith around an object. Addressing
such things as goodluck items or whatever means your faith depends on
them...i.e without them you expect no good. Isn't that idolatry?

Can't we just serve God without replacing/representing/restructuring Him
with an ordinary piece of item? I can...i don't know about you all. God
is enough for me.[/quote]THANK U MY SISTER.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 9:42pm On Oct 28, 2013
[quote
author=Nomski0] See, that's his own personal reason. Some
people carry the cross around, not just to remember that he died for
our since but because, they believe there's power associated with it.
Some pray to it, like i do. Some believe that physically he might not be
still there, but spiritually he's there. And he can hear their prayers,
protect them etc, etc
[/quote]my dear dat is idolatry, bible said we shld nt bow down or pray 2 any caven image.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 10:07pm On Oct 28, 2013
[quote
author=Caracta]

My faith is not in church. My faith is in me. I go to church to
fellowship. If i pray in my house, God hears. They carried the Ark
before Jesus came to break the barrier. After Jesus came, there was no
need for it.

This happened because Moses was the middleman between God and the
Israelites. No atonement for sins yet. The moment the veil at the temple
tore, they gained access to communicate with God directly. No further
need for a staff or rod to perform wonders. No need for a statue or
replica to gaze at for miracles.

Christ perfected it on the Cross. And He said, IT IS FINISHED!
cheesy[/quote] thanks my dear, ur getin al my points.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 10:10pm On Oct 28, 2013
sakaguchi: What's wrong with praying with a cross uh?
sumtin is wrong cos is an idol worship.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 10:22pm On Oct 28, 2013
[quote
author=Syncan]

Yes, they are in my phone gallery, they adorne my laptop as wallpaper
and screen saver, I look at them when I cannot be with them physically,
that's where I guess we are different. Now if I had the power to speak
to communicate with them or assure them of my nearness through my
picture, I will do so. The all powerful God has that ability, he has
used ordinary items when He could do without them eg the bronze serpent,
the cherubs, even the cross. Our religion is not one that started in
the 21st century, The cross or crucifix was worn by those who spread
christianity throughout continents, God showed His presence with them
via numerous miracles. If God is pleased with it, why worry? After all
to please God is the aim.[/quote]my dear watchn ur belove once picture is nt bad. we are talkn abt cross and how sure d persn on dat cross u pray wit is Jesus christ hav u seen hm b4.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by sakaguchi(m): 10:24pm On Oct 28, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
sumtin is wrong cos is an idol worship.
Enlighten me honey!
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 10:32pm On Oct 28, 2013
sakaguchi:
Enlighten me honey!
my bible made me 2 undastand dat we shld nt bow down or pray to any caven image. so how can u be prayn to a cross dat was caved n hw sure dat d persn on dat cros is Jesus Christ or hav u seen hm b4. Thanks
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by sakaguchi(m): 10:44pm On Oct 28, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
my bible made me 2 undastand dat we shld nt bow down or pray to any caven image. so how can u be prayn to a cross dat was caved n hw sure dat d persn on dat cros is Jesus Christ or hav u seen hm b4. Thanks
If you followed what I say earlier, maybe you'll see where I said praying TO a cross is bad, and I don't think many christians do that. The question you asked was, why do some christians put on cross? Its simple, they put on cross as a symbol of their faith. I don't see any thing wrong in it. I'm not a hard boiled christian though, I put on cross because it is cool on me»»»just for the swag.
Now I said I don't pray infront of a cross, that is, if I were in a church with a cross in it, I may/will not go infront of the cross to pray because God to me is everywhere, but then if I'm invited to pray and the brethren are infront of a cross, I will gladly join them without being miffed, reason is that, the cross is simply a symbol of christianity. Questions were asked why christians use cross, relics as having special power, I don't think they are wrong at all, the bible has special power, so too does the cross, so too was the serpent sculpted by Moses in the desert, so too was the handkerchief used by paul. I understand all these, what I don't understand is your point my dear. Using a cross is not bad, praying with/before a cross aint bad either. Praying TO a cross, that one I have reservation...
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Nomski0(f): 10:45pm On Oct 28, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
my dear dat is idolatry, bible said we shld nt bow down or pray 2 any caven image.
Dont bow down to images, yes thats true. The bible says so. These images like statue of Jesus, or a cross are not just images. As i said, they are representatives of God on earth. I believe there's power in them. I believe that when an archbishop comes to bless a Blessed Sacrament, its because the spirit of God dwells there. And i'll show respect to it by kneeling down. I've have witness and seen a lot of testimonies on stuff like this. I've given examples in the Bible but its obvious your mind cant be changed. Its all about faith my dear. Faith faith and nothing but faith.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by sakaguchi(m): 10:56pm On Oct 28, 2013
Nomski0: Dont bow down to images, yes thats true. The bible says so. These images like statue of Jesus, or a cross are not just images. As i said, they are representatives of God on earth.
As much as I will like to agree with you here Nomski, I beg to differ on these, those Images are not representative of God on earth, God does not need to be represented on earth because he is everywhere.
Nomski0: I believe there's power in them. I believe that when an archbishop comes to bless a Blessed Sacrament, its because the spirit of God dwells there. And i'll show respect to it by kneeling down. I've have witness and seen a lot of testimonies on stuff like this. I've given examples in the Bible but its obvious your mind cant be changed. Its all about faith my dear. Faith faith and nothing but faith.
Yap! I agree there are power in them, which are gotten only by faith. This! my friends, is the real deal.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by SalC: 11:07pm On Oct 28, 2013
Hmm. Using Paul's handkerchief to cure the sick isn't Idolatry.

Wearing Chosen apron is an advertisement, not idolatry.

Using chosen handkerchief is...?

Then using cross is idolatry. What a sincere analogy!
May Yahweh help us.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Nobody: 3:14am On Oct 29, 2013
very soon they will start molding Paul's hankerchief. an aid to worship is provided by God in the past. it is not for humans to provide. neither Paul nor any of the apostles used these things as aid to worship God.

If those things were needed, God would have given us one.

this is indirectly sanctioning idolatry. looking for a scripture to twist so as to accomodate idol worship. catholic do not even reject that what they give to this things is worship. You guys need to be very careful.

life is at stake here!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Will Muslims Go To Heaven? / What Do You Know About Idemili Shrine??? / Hilarious Church Advert: Bet9ja Must Favour My Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.