Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. (4972 Views)

Some Muslims Will Make Heaven While Some Christians Will Not. / Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? / Why Are Some Christians Poor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Syncan(m): 7:26am On Oct 29, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
my dear watchn ur belove once picture is nt bad. we are talkn abt cross and how sure d persn on dat cross u pray wit is Jesus christ hav u seen hm b4.

How sure am I that the statue of Nnamdi Azikiwe in Onitcha is Zik,have I seen him before? Yet my child will be told "this is Nnamdi Azikiwe the first president of Nigeria". Do you think I am wrong?

People lived with Jesus, I have said it earlier, this Christianity is not a 21st century making. Christians have evangelized nations, supported by signs and wonders from God, gave their lives for Christ;while being aided by His grace....and they used the crucifix. If God was not pleased with them over the centuries, He would not have been with them. If you claim you are a better Christian than these missionaries and martyrs, let God's work through you be the judge.
If God decided that a look at a molded bronze serpent, is what should cure the malady of snake bite, who are we to question Him? If He did it then why do you think He can't wrought miracles again through the Image of His Crucified Son. "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up" John 3:14. He does show His Powers in whatever or wherever He likes, No body replaces a wooden cross for God.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Syncan(m): 7:34am On Oct 29, 2013
From the archives:

"[b]1. Since I have mentioned this city I do not think it proper to omit an account which is worthy of record for posterity. For they say that the woman with an issue of blood, who, as we learn from the sacred Gospel, received from our Saviour deliverance from her affliction, came from this place, and that her house is shown in the city, and that remarkable memorials of the kindness of the Saviour to her remain there.

2. For there stands upon an elevated stone, by the gates of her house, a brazen image of a woman kneeling, with her hands stretched out, as if she were praying. Opposite this is another upright image of a man, made of the same material, clothed decently in a double cloak, and extending his hand toward the woman. At his feet, beside the statue itself, is a certain strange plant, which climbs up to the hem of the brazen cloak, and is a remedy for all kinds of diseases.

3. They say that this statue is an image of Jesus. It has remained to our day, so that we ourselves also saw it when we were staying in the city.

4. Nor is it strange that those of the Gentiles who, of old, were benefited by our Saviour, should have done such things, since we have learned also that the likenesses of his apostles Paul and Peter, and of Christ himself, are preserved in paintings, the ancients being accustomed, as it is likely, according to a habit of the Gentiles, to pay this kind of honor indiscriminately to those regarded by them as deliverers"[/b].

From the church History (VII) by Eusebius. b 260 AD. d before 341 AD
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Syncan(m): 8:22am On Oct 29, 2013
Still digging from the archives of Christianity :

[b]... we declare that we defend free from any innovations all the written and unwritten ecclesiastical traditions that have been entrusted to us. One of these is the production of representational art; this is quite in harmony with the history of the spread of the gospel, as it provides confirmation that the becoming man of the Word of God was real and not just imaginary, and as it brings us a similar benefit. For, things that mutually illustrate one another undoubtedly possess one another's message.

... we decree with full precision and care that, like the figure of the honoured and life-giving cross, the revered and holy images, whether painted or made of mosaic or of other suitable material, are to be exposed in the holy churches of God, on sacred instruments and vestments, on walls and panels, in houses and by public ways; these are the images of our Lord, God and saviour, Jesus Christ, and of our Lady without blemish, the holy God-bearer, and of the revered angels and of any of the saintly holy men. The more frequently they are seen in representational art, the more are those who see them drawn to remember and long for those who serve as models, and to pay these images the tribute of salutation and respectful veneration. Certainly this is not the full adoration in accordance with our faith, which is properly paid only to the divine nature, but it resembles that given to the figure of the honoured and life-giving cross, and also to the holy books of the gospels...[/b]

Council of Nicea 787AD . (They were the authentic Christians at the time, holding a council just like in Acts 15).
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Adaeze003(f): 8:56am On Oct 29, 2013
Nomski0: See, that's his own personal reason. Some people carry the cross around, not just to remember that he died for our since but because, they believe there's power associated with it. Some pray to it, like i do. Some believe that physically he might not be still there, but spiritually he's there. And he can hear their prayers, protect them etc, etc

This is weird. You pray TO a cross? I used to understand the rosary as an instrument of prayer ie you pray WITH it. Is praying to an object not idolatry? As for power associated with a cross or rosary, I've heard that but not witnessed but does it mean without it you're powerless?
Now, the real error is saying that spiritually, Christ is still on the cross. If you agree with me Christ is God? And His spirit is the Holy Spirit? Then His spirit should dwell in YOU.

I used to wear a finger rosary but it was to identify with my brethren and most people use it fashion wise these days.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Syncan(m): 9:02am On Oct 29, 2013
Adaeze003:

This is weird. You pray TO a cross? I used to understand the rosary as an instrument of prayer ie you pray WITH it. Is praying to an object not idolatry? As for power associated with a cross or rosary, I've heard that but not witnessed but does it mean without it you're powerless?
Now, the real error is saying that spiritually, Christ is still on the cross. If you agree with me Christ is God? And His spirit is the Holy Spirit? Then His spirit should dwell in YOU.

I used to wear a finger rosary but it was to identify with my brethren and most people use it fashion wise these days.

I really do not comprehend what she meant by that, I just hope it is language error.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 10:55am On Oct 29, 2013
@syncan, u can't compare christ wit nnamdi Azi. cos he is ur felow human being his relatives can keep his pictures or dose it mean my father can't show me d pictures of my late grandma he can cos is my felow humanbeing.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by italo: 11:02am On Oct 29, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
@syncan, u can't compare christ wit nnamdi Azi. cos he is ur felow human being his relatives can keep his pictures or dose it mean my father can't show me d pictures of my late grandma he can cos is my felow humanbeing.

You really want us to leave our Crucifix and wear your apron instead?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Syncan(m): 11:05am On Oct 29, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:

In this context of molding, So Christ was not a human being, that has flesh and blood?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 11:10am On Oct 29, 2013
Jesus is nt ur felow humanbeing dat pple cn bring out hs replica anyhow. Al i want u 2 knw is dat dose white pple caved ontop dat cros is nt christ n u cn't compare hm wit dat.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by italo: 11:13am On Oct 29, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
Jesus is nt ur felow humanbeing dat pple cn bring out hs replica anyhow. Al i want u 2 knw is dat dose white pple caved ontop dat cros is nt christ n u cn't compare hm wit dat.

But the picture of your grandma is your grandma?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Syncan(m): 11:19am On Oct 29, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:

Did you read my post on "from the archives"? Please do read it again,I have nothing against someone not knowing, but I am all against being fanatical or judgmental on things one know little about. That post was written only about two hundred yrs after Christ died.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Nomski0(f): 11:31am On Oct 29, 2013
Syncan:

I really do not comprehend what she meant by that, I just hope it is language error.

I meant praying through it.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by italo: 11:41am On Oct 29, 2013
Nomski0:

I was wondering if you were the same sister of mine. I can relax now.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 11:41am On Oct 29, 2013
[quote
author=italo]

You really want us to leave our Crucifix and wear your apron
instead?[/quote] My dear am nt askn u 2 live ur crucifix u cn hld it
tight am makin sum observation. I cn't pray 2 my apron is 4 advert,if we
put bana govt remove it, we put stick 4 wall pple remove it den if we
were it on our bdy who wil remove it..........,........?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 11:45am On Oct 29, 2013
Syncan:

In this context of molding, So Christ was not a human being, that has flesh and blood?
Christ his nt human being dat has flesh n blood, and humanbeing cn't enta heaven wit dis flesh n body u must be transformed 2 supernatural being..
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 11:50am On Oct 29, 2013
italo:

yes, she is my felow human being or do u want to tel me dat my father doesn't knw his mumsy again.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 11:51am On Oct 29, 2013
italo:

yes, she is my felow human being or do u want to tel me dat my father doesn't knw his mumsy again. Nobdy cn shw me d replica of christ cos nobdy has seem him life.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Syncan(m): 12:18pm On Oct 29, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
Christ his nt human being dat has flesh n blood , and humanbeing cn't enta heaven wit dis flesh n body u must be transformed 2 supernatural being..

I rest my case with you dearie.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Syncan(m): 12:27pm On Oct 29, 2013
Nomski0:

Let's just say, you pray before a crucifix.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Ubenedictus(m): 12:35pm On Oct 29, 2013
Caracta: Why would i need anything to even remind me of the death of Christ? He is risen! He lives in me. We have a strong connection. What kind of reminder again biko? cheesy
and yet myself and paul preaches "christ and him crucified".
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by italo: 12:36pm On Oct 29, 2013
Syncan:

I rest my case with you dearie.

LMAO!

YEPARIPA!
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by woky: 1:14pm On Oct 29, 2013
chukwudi44: The OP as a member of the lord's chosen prefers apron.
l
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by woky: 1:15pm On Oct 29, 2013
chukwudi44: The OP as a member of the lord's chosen prefers apron.
lolz grin

chukwudi it seems u knw all lord's chosen memebers in nairaland

anyway she is one of them, no doubt.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 5:01pm On Oct 29, 2013
woky: lolz grin

chukwudi it seems u knw all lord's chosen memebers in nairaland

anyway she is one of them, no doubt.
My dear i'm a chosen and i can't deny my church becos of dis faceless forum bt mind u dis is nt d issue here. Thanks
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by woky: 5:11pm On Oct 29, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
My dear i'm a chosen and i can't deny my church becos of dis faceless forum bt mind u dis is nt d issue here. Thanks
i wil call Tomzman for you o grin
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 5:54pm On Oct 29, 2013
woky: i wil call Tomzman for you o grin
If u dn't hav anytin 2 say u beta close ur cavity. Callin hm 2 come nd slap me or wht, make both of u go seat down 4 dirty.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by DesChyko1(m): 6:31pm On Oct 29, 2013
Please, don't joke with their 'bullet-proof' apron o.. You can mess with the rosary and the crucifix, but don't tamper with that 'green essence of God'
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 29, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
If u dn't hav anytin 2 say u beta close ur cavity. Callin hm 2 come nd slap me or wht, make both of u go seat down 4 dirty.

Chei see church person SMH.I better close my cavity before the god of chosen and his holy apron come and attack me.

Anyway in case from any attack from the god od chosen I have the God of isreal to fall back on.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by sakaguchi(m): 8:16pm On Oct 29, 2013
chukwudi44:

Chei see church person SMH.I better close my cavity before the god of chosen and his holy apron come and attack me.

Anyway in case from any attack from the god od chosen I have the God of isreal to fall back on.
L cheesy L
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by italo: 8:24pm On Oct 29, 2013
Easy to attack my faith...

Difficult to take your faith being attacked.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Nobody: 9:18pm On Oct 29, 2013
italo: Easy to attack my faith...

Difficult to take your faith being attacked.

Don't mind the hypocrites!!!
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 9:24pm On Oct 29, 2013
If dn't hav anytin to say abt dis topic y nt live d forum. If u want to tlk abt any oda tin y nt create folder 4 dat.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Atheists How Is This Possible.(Viewers Discretion is Advised) / Are Atheists And Skeptics Just An Angry Bunch Or Are They Actually Realistic? / Free Mp3: Download All Pastor Kumuyi Messages Till Date @ Www.dailyreview.com.ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.