Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

I Need Jollof Rice And Red Stew Recipe - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / I Need Jollof Rice And Red Stew Recipe (1949 Views)

When You Are Having Nigerian Jollof And The Aroma Of Ghanian Jolof Hits U Hard / A Cheating Boyfriend, The Side-chic And The Jollof Rice.....a Must Read!....lol / The Wedding Jollof Rice Finished After I Paid For Asoebi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Jollof Rice And Red Stew Recipe by EvyE: 12:37pm On Oct 30, 2013
Hi, All may you kindly assist me by giving me the best recipe for jeolof rice and red stew. Please forgive me if i spelt it wrong as i am not Nigerian. Please give a list of ingredients systematically and if possible estimate their prices for someone who is in South Africa johannesburg. Please forgive me for putting this thread under romance as under the food section i wasn't getting any responces
Re: I Need Jollof Rice And Red Stew Recipe by Gabrielsylar(m): 1:20pm On Oct 30, 2013
Ask Mr Google
Re: I Need Jollof Rice And Red Stew Recipe by Chaleeee: 2:06pm On Oct 30, 2013
Nigerian Jollof Rice Ingredients:
*2 cups (approx. 500 grams)Precooked long grain  rice
*5 Tablespoonful tomato paste(very important)
*4 whole tomatoes
*1 red bell pepper (tatashe)
*2 scotch bonnets/atarodo
*100ml vegetable oil
*About 600ml Meat or Chicken stock
*A small onion (sliced)
*1 tablespoonful ground crayfish(optional)
*½ teaspoon each of  Thyme and curry
*1 teaspoon salt to taste
*1 stock cube
*Water, as needed

Cooking Directions for Nigerian Jollof Rice:

<<Before cooking Nigerian Jollof Rice>>
*Parboil(precook) the Rice and set aside. To parboil rice, add the raw rice to boiling water for 10 mins. After that, remove the boiling water, rinse with a lot of cold water and set aside.

TIP: Parboiling the rice, helps to start the cooking process and gets rid of the excess starch in the rice, that usually makes the rice grains to clump together (a.k.a Soggy rice).

*Cook and fry/grill your meat ( beef/chicken/turkey )... and set aside the broth or stock

Now to cook the Nigerian Jollof Rice:

*First prepare a small stew or sauce .
Do this by blending the fresh tomatoes and peppers together;then dry out excess liquid by boiling in a pot for few minutes. ..if you already have tomato stew, you can skip this step.
    Then, Place a pot on heat, add some oil, add chopped onions, fry a bit and then add the blended tomatoes & pepper mix, fry for about 10 minutes and then add the tomato puree. 
    Cook until the tomato loses its sour taste and the oil begin to rise to the top.

Tip: The use of the concentrated tomato paste is IMPORTANT if you want to get that deep reddish-orange color and taste of the party jollof rice.

*Now Scoop out about a quarter of the stew and set it aside for later use.

*Add the meat or chicken stock to the pot and leave to boil on high heat for 5-10 minutes. Then add the thyme, curry, stock cubes,salt to taste... and any other seasoning you like, and boil for 5 minutes

TIP: This is another important step in cooking Nigerian Jollof Rice. If the stock isn't hot enough before adding the precooked(parboiled) Rice, the rice will soak up the cold water, become soggy and even get burnt before it is done..Eeeww, we don't want that right? 

* Next, add the Rice and mix thoroughly, the liquid in the pot should  be at the same level as the rice in the pot...you  can add more water if the meat or chicken stock isn't enough. Cover the pot and leave the rice to cook on low to medium heat. High heat will burn the rice before it is well cooked.

*When the liquid in the rice is almost dried, add the remaining stew to the top (don't touch the rice)...cover the pot until there is no more liquid in the Rice...Now mix thoroughly ... and your Nigerian Jollof Rice is Ready.

TIP: To get that smoky flavor that gives the party rice is distinctive taste,leave the rice to burn  A LITTLE at the bottom(don't worry it doesn't make you a bad cook) ☺
 I actually don't like burning food, but when my friends scream for the ''distinctive smoky Party rice taste''.. that's the way I do it.(Don't make it a habit oo, 'cos it's bad for the lifespan of a pot☺,but a non-stick pot will be perfect) 

Now, serve and Enjoy...and wash the pot Later ☺
Re: I Need Jollof Rice And Red Stew Recipe by EvyE: 12:28pm On Oct 31, 2013
Chaleeee:
Nigerian Jollof Rice Ingredients:
*2 cups (approx. 500 grams)Precooked long grain  rice
*5 Tablespoonful tomato paste(very important)
*4 whole tomatoes
*1 red bell pepper (tatashe)
*2 scotch bonnets/atarodo
*100ml vegetable oil
*About 600ml Meat or Chicken stock
*A small onion (sliced)
*1 tablespoonful ground crayfish(optional)
*½ teaspoon each of  Thyme and curry
*1 teaspoon salt to taste
*1 stock cube
*Water, as needed

Cooking Directions for Nigerian Jollof Rice:

<<Before cooking Nigerian Jollof Rice>>
*Parboil(precook) the Rice and set aside. To parboil rice, add the raw rice to boiling water for 10 mins. After that, remove the boiling water, rinse with a lot of cold water and set aside.

TIP: Parboiling the rice, helps to start the cooking process and gets rid of the excess starch in the rice, that usually makes the rice grains to clump together (a.k.a Soggy rice).

*Cook and fry/grill your meat ( beef/chicken/turkey )... and set aside the broth or stock

Now to cook the Nigerian Jollof Rice:

*First prepare a small stew or sauce .
Do this by blending the fresh tomatoes and peppers together;then dry out excess liquid by boiling in a pot for few minutes. ..if you already have tomato stew, you can skip this step.
    Then, Place a pot on heat, add some oil, add chopped onions, fry a bit and then add the blended tomatoes & pepper mix, fry for about 10 minutes and then add the tomato puree. 
    Cook until the tomato loses its sour taste and the oil begin to rise to the top.

Tip: The use of the concentrated tomato paste is IMPORTANT if you want to get that deep reddish-orange color and taste of the party jollof rice.

*Now Scoop out about a quarter of the stew and set it aside for later use.

*Add the meat or chicken stock to the pot and leave to boil on high heat for 5-10 minutes. Then add the thyme, curry, stock cubes,salt to taste... and any other seasoning you like, and boil for 5 minutes

TIP: This is another important step in cooking Nigerian Jollof Rice. If the stock isn't hot enough before adding the precooked(parboiled) Rice, the rice will soak up the cold water, become soggy and even get burnt before it is done..Eeeww, we don't want that right? 

* Next, add the Rice and mix thoroughly, the liquid in the pot should  be at the same level as the rice in the pot...you  can add more water if the meat or chicken stock isn't enough. Cover the pot and leave the rice to cook on low to medium heat. High heat will burn the rice before it is well cooked.

*When the liquid in the rice is almost dried, add the remaining stew to the top (don't touch the rice)...cover the pot until there is no more liquid in the Rice...Now mix thoroughly ... and your Nigerian Jollof Rice is Ready.

TIP: To get that smoky flavor that gives the party rice is distinctive taste,leave the rice to burn  A LITTLE at the bottom(don't worry it doesn't make you a bad cook) ☺
 I actually don't like burning food, but when my friends scream for the ''distinctive smoky Party rice taste''.. that's the way I do it.(Don't make it a habit oo, 'cos it's bad for the lifespan of a pot☺,but a non-stick pot will be perfect) 

Now, serve and Enjoy...and wash the pot Later ☺

ncoooooh wowww thank you very very very much. I appreciate this from the bottom of my heart

(1) (Reply)

'One Woman Can’t Satisfy A Man's Every Need' - Akon / Unforgetable Experience / Girls Who Control Their Boyfriends...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.