Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,226 members, 7,829,383 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis (18573 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking / ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by silat(f): 11:28am On Oct 31, 2013
no work, no pay. y should dey be paid for sitting at home. they r bunch of greedy ppl. I wonder if some ppl r students or passed thru dis unis, to c how wicked n heartless a lecturer can be, extorting money from students n treat female students too, some lecturers dont even go to classes n teach n wait for students to come n block, all in d name of money n now dey r out negotiating wit fg, more dan half of d money dey r requesting will still enter some ppl's pocket. dey should sit there n expect to still be receiving money.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by vislabraye(m): 11:31am On Oct 31, 2013
ASUU's own is becoming too much joor. Its not as if they're delivering world class education. They should look for another way of negotiating with govt. Strike shouldn't always be the way forward.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Skymento(m): 11:32am On Oct 31, 2013
[sub][/sub]
Olumidzti: how many days do your senators sit per week? & how much do they get?
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Youngzedd(m): 11:34am On Oct 31, 2013
wasak:
if u want money like the senators join d gaddamn politics... or better still protest against their pay... imagine if everyone wants to earn like d senators what will Nigeria turn into?
even shoemakers will go on strike.

GBAM!
+100

1 Like

Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 31, 2013
Chanchit: Sharrrap..! It seems this guys are trying to scare d government, if you dnt work, you should no be paid.
remember UNI Ilorin saga,Ambrose Ali Universitry, Uniben e.t.c
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by mex22: 11:38am On Oct 31, 2013
these ASUU guys are so annoying and self centered.when they were been paid for doing nothing when the strike initially started the never came out to protest.when the govt. stopped their salaries they started staging protests n rallies.we then tend to ask ourselves is ASUU's demand majorly in the interest of the students or their pockets.they should have it at the back of their minds that education is one of the sectors that need to be grown.there are other sectors that also need urgent attention if nigeria must become a great nation where there will be jobs for the graduates when the come out of these universities.I believe ASUU should be considerate and call off the strike in the interest of the nation at large.

2 Likes

Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by mikeuz(m): 11:38am On Oct 31, 2013
Midax & Phoenix:
The rate of ignorance peddled on this forum is alarming!!

Gone were the days when posters outwit each other with facts and not hearsay, make-belief etc

Do you have access to the employment contract of an academic staff?

Have you seen or read through the 2009 agreement?

You have to get all the angles to make informed contributions and not rants laden with youthful exuberance and indolence!!

Even if they don't teach for ten years, the government will have to pay them!!
The employment contract entails them to do research and academics and they are on academic strike or have you seen any university under locks and keys!

Yes, the industrial action is affecting the students and not good for all concerned but the fault lies with the government and not ASUU!

And if you think otherwise, let's discuss facts .

We know say you know facts. Keep your facts in your pocket all the students wants to know is that ASUU call OFF THE STRIKE

1 Like

Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by BEASTER(m): 11:45am On Oct 31, 2013
NO work no pay is the only remedy 2 solve this problem 'cos ASUU dos'nt hv any small pity on Nigerian students so the bad be wosen.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:46am On Oct 31, 2013
wasak:
I am ready to challenge ASUU to a debate, d government as corrupt as it is have shifted ground, what the hell is ASUU fighting for? let's say our lecturers aren't qualified enough, y don't they overhaul themselves if they are truly fighting for d system? OK. they want over 3 trillion naira? how much is the overall budget of the country? do u know how many years Nigeria has been running on budget deficit? common!! think... so after providing the funds Nigerian universities will automatically become world class? is ur Aristo Dad a. lecturer?

I hear your point and it hold No water. Ask your self why an oil rich nation of ours has been running on a budget deficit from time immemorial. Our expenses will always be more than an income because all the FG and previous govts do is spend spend spend on various sectors that are not growth-enhancing. Half which either end up and abandoned projects, misappropriated funds or misplaced priorites -a la the case of the agricultural sector for decades.
And FYI, ma Dad is late. Ijit! angry
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by eightsin(m): 11:51am On Oct 31, 2013
ASUU is now playing the victim... I laugh!
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 31, 2013
The end of the strike is near. Handout money don finish, God don catch them.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by crackhouse(m): 12:02pm On Oct 31, 2013
I pity lecturers that have no savings.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by calcal: 12:03pm On Oct 31, 2013
In the Yankee, you got pay per hour, no show up no pay, stop paying them and start recruiting replacements and see what gonna happen.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by manie(m): 12:14pm On Oct 31, 2013
Youngzedd: Asaba – The DeltaStateUniversity Chapterof the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) on Wednesday warned that implementing the No-Work-No-Pay policy would worsenthe industrial crisis in public universities.
The Chairman ofthe chapter, DrEmmanuel Mordi, said in Asaba that the stategovernment was planning to implement thepolicy for the first time.
NAN reports that the stateGovernor, Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan, had urged ASUU membersto return to classroom or face implementation ofthe policy.
“When the strike is called off, lecturers will say: `No pay, no work’. It does not help anybody; it can only escalate thecrisis.
“It is unfortunate that ASUU is at the receiving end, as the government, being stronger, has the power towithhold ASUUmembers’ salaries, he said.
He said that ASUU was willing to call off the strike and would do so as soon as theFederal Governmentshowedmore commitment.
“We are anxious tocall off the strike, but the governmentsaid we should wait for somany months.
“What we must note is that our studentsare also our children. Some lecturersare also students;so, this is a very painful surgical operation, which we have to carry out in the bestinterestofour futuregeneration.”
Also theAdamawa chapter of theChristian Association of Nigeria (CAN) on Wednesday said thelingering strike by university teachers in the country could destroythe nation’s tertiary education.
The Chairman ofthe association, Rev. Moses Taparki, in an interview in Yola, expressed displeasure over the inability of theFederal Governmentand theAcademic StaffUnion of Universities (ASUU) toresolve the issues.
Describing the situation as “unfortunate”, he said it had lingered in spite of appeals and interventions by groups and individuals, and blamed the governmentand the union for their seeming “insensitivity” to theissue.
The cleric said the damage thestrike had done to the university systemin thecountry in the past fourmonths would take several years to redress.
“The governmentand ASUUshould take responsibility for the sad development. Many groups and individuals, including religious leaders and traditional rulers, have appealed to them but all have been in vain,” hesaid.
“For the rigid positions thegovernmentand the university teachershave maintained on the matter, I maintain that both partiesmust take full responsibility for thedamage the strike has done to thesystem,” he stressed.

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/work-pay-rule-may-escalate-crisis-ASUU/

It has already escalated, things can not be worse than these in the educational sector.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Forwetinnah: 12:17pm On Oct 31, 2013
Midax & Phoenix:
The rate of ignorance peddled on this forum is alarming!!

Gone were the days when posters outwit each other with facts and not hearsay, make-belief etc

Do you have access to the employment contract of an academic staff?

Have you seen or read through the 2009 agreement?

You have to get all the angles to make informed contributions and not rants laden with youthful exuberance and indolence!!

Even if they don't teach for ten years, the government will have to pay them!!
The employment contract entails them to do research and academics and they are on academic strike or have you seen any university under locks and keys!

Yes, the industrial action is affecting the students and not good for all concerned but the fault lies with the government and not ASUU!

And if you think otherwise, let's discuss facts .

Blah Blah Blah.. You're a lecturer, that I'm very sure of. Sit @ home, then expect to be paid cause you're embaking on an "industrial action". By the way, the opposition has hijacked the whole strike saga(deny it all you want) its a fact..no food for Lazy man o! Nigerian Lecturers are becoming a nuisance. The FG has done enough already, ASUU should call off the strike "FIRST"..if the government doesn't keep their word, then we can all cry fowl. Which research are lecturers "doing" while the strike action is on? Female or money research..biko make hear word o!!

2 Likes

Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by wasak(m): 12:18pm On Oct 31, 2013
vivacious vivi:

I hear your point and it hold No water. Ask your self why an oil rich nation of ours has been running on a budget deficit from time immemorial. Our expenses will always be more than an income because all the FG and previous govts do is spend spend spend on various sectors that are not growth-enhancing. Half which either end up and abandoned projects, misappropriated funds or misplaced priorites -a la the case of the agricultural sector for decades.
And FYI, ma Dad is late. Ijit! angry
now Nigeria is oil rich... agreed.
there's gross misappropriation of funds. agreed.
let's take a Look at it this way,y not protest against corruption since obviously it's d bane of our development. if u schooled in Nigeria @ all u should know that even our. lecturers aren't innocent of corruption... if they want jumbo pay. it's as simple as resigning, getting a form for any political office and whatever...
If we wanna fight corruption let's fight it... if we wanna earn more money we need not camouflage under the auspices of fighting for the students....
lastly, I ain't referring to ur dad,I'm sorry if u feel offended. Thanks.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by oriented(m): 12:29pm On Oct 31, 2013
what season of d movi is dis
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 31, 2013
my Lecturer aunt Wants to b Orrow money. Thunder fire them All'
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by heykims(m): 12:33pm On Oct 31, 2013
[color=#770077][/color]
I agree dt d no work no pay policy will escalate d pitiable state of d educational sector in ds country for the naughty govt will utilize ds to exploit and cheat d lecturers. Such policy can only be used in countries dt value education and set tinz in deir rightful places.
Left to me, pay per hour of work is a more reasonable alternative.
Wallahi, I weep for ds country....
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 31, 2013

Was going to call u a fool but... Do two wrongs make a right? U must be a lecturer, cos I can't believe someone is still supporting these idiots after 4months!
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by omoredia: 12:43pm On Oct 31, 2013
no work no pay!
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 31, 2013
From the replies, I'm happy that Nigerians are finally seeing beyond their nose (beyond just the govt).

I wish Jonathan was in his second term, mass-sacking that's what these heartless ingrates would get. Nonsense!
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:46pm On Oct 31, 2013
wasak:
now Nigeria is oil rich... agreed.
there's gross misappropriation of funds. agreed.
let's take a Look at it this way,y not protest against corruption since obviously it's d bane of our development. if u schooled in Nigeria @ all u should know that even our. lecturers aren't innocent of corruption... if they want jumbo pay. it's as simple as resigning, getting a form for any political office and whatever...
If we wanna fight corruption let's fight it... if we wanna earn more money we need not camouflage under the auspices of fighting for the students....
lastly, I ain't referring to ur dad,I'm sorry if u feel offended. Thanks.

Apology accepted. Sorry I called you an Ijit.
And I still diagree with you. What they are protesting for isnt a jumbo pay.
I was bought up by a single mom who retired as a school teacher. I know what my siblings and I went through before my mom's fortunes turned around later. I remember the strike actions imposed by school teachers while I was a kid in the 1990s. The FG also tried at the time to threaten them with this over-used and backward policy. Its every worker's right to ask for better pay (at justified intervals), better working conditions and generally improved living standards for themselves and their families.
And resigning and vying for political office isn't "simple" my friend.
Can the FG afford the money? yes. maybe it should be paid in phases.
But to keep treating human beings like cows and chickens is so wrong in a country where there is sufficient resources for all to live and work rather comfortably.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by omoredia: 12:52pm On Oct 31, 2013
Promhize:

Was going to call u a fool but... Do two wrongs make a right? U must be a lecturer, cos I can't believe someone is still supporting these idiots after 4months!

we are talking of lecturers not senators
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by wasak(m): 12:55pm On Oct 31, 2013
vivacious vivi:

Apology accepted. Sorry I called you an Ijit.
And I still diagree with you. What they are protesting for isnt a jumbo pay.
I was bought up by a single mom who retired as a school teacher. I know what my siblings and I went through before my mom's fortunes turned around later. I remember the strike actions imposed by school teachers while I was a kid in the 1990s. The FG also tried at the time to threaten them with this over-used and backward policy. Its every worker's right to ask for better pay (at justified intervals), better working conditions and generally improved living standards for themselves and their families.
And resigning and vying for political office isn't "simple" my friend.
Can the FG afford the money? yes. maybe it should be paid in phases.
But to keep treating human beings like cows and chickens is so wrong in a country where there is sufficient resources for all to live and work rather comfortably.
sister, analytically speaking, lecturers the remuneration of lecturers is fairly OK. some of those allowances they are seeking for ought to be paid by the universities.
secondary school teachers are remunerated worse yet we don't hear them making noise, I ain't saying it's fair m just saying ASUU is selfish.. imagine if the polytechnics and colleges are demanding in like manner?
how many hours do lecturers work in a week,?
what I hate most is hearing them saying they are fighting for d students, That's a lie...a robust one, let them make do with the funds disbursed, I hate d government but to be candid they have tried
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by sokan2001: 1:10pm On Oct 31, 2013
i support no work no pay for the striking lecturers,what they are requesting for is not realistic and it is not done in any civilized world, they are just being selfish about the 2009 agreement.The agreement could be negotiated downwards to suite the present economic condition of the government.I am not holding brief for the government but majority of the lecturers are very lazy, their productiveness is not commensurate with their earnings. They can compare themselves with senators and rep. members and if they must do that, 2015 is around the corner, let them resign their appointments and go into politics, it is a free world. How many of them have their wards in the public university? many of stem still lectures at the private universities but they dare not try 20% of their lazy attitudes their and no private university in Nigeria has 50% facilities of public institution yet they are producing credible graduates.Ask them what all the universities IGR is been used on. The bottom line is both ASUU and FG are not sincere. I believe all public university should be SINCERELY privatized because government has no BUSINESS IN BUSINESS.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Johnsinia(m): 1:24pm On Oct 31, 2013
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by meeking: 1:34pm On Oct 31, 2013
IF YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOU, YOU WILL PLEAD WITH ASUU TO END THE STRIKE.
IF YOUR PARENTS ARE THAT CARING, WHY DIDN'T THEY ENROLL YOU IN A PRIVATE UNIVERSITY WHERE THERE IS NO STRIKE?
DON'T FORGET THAT EVEN SOME OF THE LECTURERS ARE STUDENTS IN THE SAME UNIVERSITY. YOUR COMMENTS ON THIS SUBJECT ARE PURELY EMOTIONAL THUS SHOWCASING HOW IGNORANT SOME OF YOU ARE.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Johnsinia(m): 1:38pm On Oct 31, 2013

ur post lacks: convincing power to justify why d lecturers shuld leave their duty, and also it lacks sense and reasoning. In other words, one can say ur post is a stupid post. Ur post is like sayin Mr. A pass thru fire and did nt get burnt, why nt me? Blw, our senators dnt strike, blw, educatn sector is nt an avenue of making moni neitha is it a secto 4 thieves. Pls, if u cant bear to sacrifice in d educatn sector dnt go there, nt every is qualify to teach bc dey lack passion and love 4 it. Wat we ve in ASUU are pure businex men and nt educatnal personal.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by proffemi: 1:42pm On Oct 31, 2013
Can you kindly stop comparing academics with (to) senators?
To the topic:

a) The no work-no-pay rule is fine. Forget the fact that I am hard at work on my research...if my students are suffering at home due to the strike, then I consider the no-work-no-pay my own share of the hardship.

b) Nigerian students come out looking even more self-centered than they claim ASUU is. Just because you want to get on with the worthless education you're currently getting, and graduate on time, you're willing to ask us to shut up and leave the system in its current state. Translation: tour nation's educational system can go to hell as long as you graduate on time

c) Yes, ASUU is fighting for allowances. Do you know how the bulk of those allowances came about? I'll tell you. My department for example is supposed to have 60 "lecturers". That is the NUC establishment. However, because the government can't afford to employ the right number, we have to get by with only 25. That's right, 25 of us do the work of 60 (and you wonder why we can't get scripts ready on time, or why we don't bother grading your assignments properly...). The government finds it easier to pay those 25 of us "excess workload" for doing the work of 60. Only now, they turn around and say we should not ask for the allowances.

Will the FG (and you) make up your minds: do you want to pay me extra for working extra (personally, I don't want excess workload) or do you want to employ the right number of staff??!

d) When students shout on ASUU to call off and leave the government be, they are forgetting one thing: there is ONLY ONE entity in Nigeria stoping school fees from going to (for example) N500,000 per year in all universities. Yes, it is this same ASUU you are criticizing. For the avoidance of doubt, I personally believe students should be made to pay close to what their education is worth. When a man pays for something, he is more likely to valule it.

So, in a nutshell, while I agree that no-work-no-pay is just about right, you should be careful in laughing at ASUU members who feel the pinch. IF ASUU buckles, you can be sure you will be paying more than N100,000 for you next school fees.

3 Likes

Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by onyinye03(f): 1:48pm On Oct 31, 2013
are they senators? Why will we compare them with senators, if they want wat the senators have, then they should run for it in 2015 its a free world ( ˘˘̯)
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by 1025: 1:51pm On Oct 31, 2013
99/100:
What is there to escalate that ASUU has not escalated already?
I stand for No work no pay.Or better still mass sacking of some lecturers so as to sanitize d university system.

can u tell me what ur senators and political office holders are doing that you pay them madly? many of these politicians do not reside in their areas of governance yet you pay them. what the federal govt is doing is heating up the polity. every nigerian has a legal right to protest over anything he does not like. there is an agreement in place between the FG and ASUU.
the fg must live up to their words and revisit the 2009 agreement. there is no way all these taut turned rulers will intimidate these informed lecturers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NO REGISTRATION FEE: Get Paid To Read News / Anambra Residents Protest, As Church Hijacks, Locks Up Public School In Fegge / 2015/2016 Waec Timetable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.