Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,743 members, 7,820,556 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Meant To Be - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Meant To Be (147768 Views)

I Never Meant To Take My Life But I Did (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meant To Be by D9ty7(m): 5:44pm On Nov 25, 2013
I must confess you are a great writer but you are inconsistent with your updates. Try and include suspense in ur updates.
Success ma'am

1 Like

Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 5:51pm On Nov 25, 2013
D9ty7: I must confess you are a great writer but you are inconsistent with your updates. Try and include suspense in ur updates.
Success ma'am

tnks bt on d issue of inconsistency, i've stuck 2 d alternate days plan now, i promised to update evry alternate day and I've bin doing dt, I'll try 2 work on d suspense
Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 12:18am On Nov 27, 2013

Dedicated to all those who have taken out time to comment, encourage and constructively criticised me:
zizman, olar_b, duquis93, ayetobi92, humblebloke, Ddonoflife, Nkpume Iko, omolodmilkman93, miss.terious, Ms Spaqs, chuksy d'1, maestrob, D9ty7, gal10.... I rily appreciate u all...gracias kiss

-7-

Risikat stared at the lady sitting beside her on the bench, she just couldn't stop wondering why a pretty lady would chose to dress like a man.

She however continued with the counting of the tom-tom sweets which she just bought from the market along with other confectioneries.

Princess checked the time on her phone, when would Chuks change? Despite the fact that she had called to inform him of her return earlier, he still disappointed by delaying her.

She wasn't comfortable with the way the shop owner was staring at her, who was she kidding anyways? She was already used to the numerous and unpretentious stares she got from people.

She was thirsty, she checked her purse to see if she had any change.
"Madam, give me small coke, hope its cold?" she requested.

"Yes Aunty, I dey come," Risikat replied with her very pronounced Ibadan diction.

She brought her the coke and a straw while collecting the money from Princess.

Princess sipped the coke, she liked the relief she felt from the first sip, the drink was darn cold.
Although she schooled in the university of Ibadan, she did not like coming to Lagos for her holidays, she preferred spending her holidays in her village in Anambra.

Her parents had however insisted that she come to Lagos this time around, her father was a lecturer in LASU whereas her mother was a nurse in a general hospital, they hardly spent time at home which meant that she would be home alone with Chuks her elder brother.

Chuks had just graduated but was still at home, all thanks to the high rate of unemployment in the country. It was a source of worry for her, she was in her final year now and she did not intend to spend time at home all in the name of searching for a job.

She had gotten home earlier to discover the apartment was locked. On calling Chuks, he had claimed he went for an interview but she knew him better than to believe that.

Her brother was a casanova and though she loved him she did not like the manner he treated girls like toys.

He didn't do dating, she had been played in the past and as such she knew the feeling. The reason she respected her brother was that he told the girls what they were in for.

What she did not comprehend was why the girls who knew about the unwritten contract of them being used and dumped still went ahead to sign the mental contract of torture.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 12:20am On Nov 27, 2013
Her brother was a handsome dude, his looks gave him this good-bad boy look, a look that placed him in the middle of bad boys and good boys.

He used his charms on the female folks and they always swarmed around him like flies frolicking around a decayed corpse.

Chuks was jovial, adventurous, intelligent and strikingly handsome unlike their elder brother who was a bookworm. Kinglsey was 30years of age and 5years older than Chuks, he was married and resided in Abuja with his family.

She was the baby of the house and was 22, she finished the bottle of coke, took out her phone and was playing the game subway surf.

She played it for about 8 minutes, quit the game, stood and stretched her limbs. She thanked Risikat and left the shop, she was tired of sitting on the same spot.

When she got to the apartment, she discovered Chuks was not home yet, she took a stroll around the house.

The changes made to the building were quite minimal, the gate and doors had been re-painted and a bench had been placed at the backyard.

How come she had not noticed the bench before? She dropped her bags on the bench, she was tired and wanted to sleep, where on earth was Chuks?

She took out her phone and dialed his number.

He had better have a good reason for keeping her waiting.

"Hello Chuks," she spoke loudly into the phone.

The voice that responded to her was totally different from what she knew as Chuks'.

*To Be Continued*

1 Like

Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 12:23am On Nov 27, 2013
Author's Note:
Lets do a little thinking(just a tiny lil bit), who could be with Chuks' phone

Lets see who gets it right wink
Re: Meant To Be by D9ty7(m): 6:32am On Nov 27, 2013
The last update got me smiling cos i can see u typed with little or no error, thumbs up sis.
@ your question: it is possible Chuck's phone was picked by one of his numerous chicks.
Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 7:07am On Nov 27, 2013
D9ty7: The last update got me smiling cos i can see u typed with little or no error, thumbs up sis.
@ your question: it is possible Chuck's phone was picked by one of his numerous chicks.

tnks...I'm rily working on getting better.

@Ur answer: well, i gez we'll hv 2 wait 2 c abt dt
Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 9:16am On Nov 27, 2013
Ok guyz...I decided to provide 'faces' for my characters...
So when you read, you can visualise what Femi looks like, that sorta thing.

Mind you, I'm using celebrities here, so you can google them to see what they look like...

Femi- Derek Luke
Sandra-Megan Good
Chuks- Shemar Moore
Princess- Cassie Ventura
Fola- Romany Malco
Omoye- Nse Ikpe Etim

I'll probably update this list as time goes on.

Xoxo!

1 Like

Re: Meant To Be by soulminister(m): 9:49am On Nov 27, 2013
"megan good"? are you kidding me? I already have a crush on this sandra character.

***though she would be better if she was amanda bynes or keke palmer****
Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 10:06am On Nov 27, 2013
soul minister: "megan good"? are you kidding me? I already have a crush on this sandra character.

***though she would be better if she was amanda bynes or keke palmer****

hmmmm...a crush developing...uhn?

Amanda bynes...nah, she's white and Sandra in my story is suppose to be an african, you know.

Keke palmer is beautiful, no doubt but d role Sandra is playing is suppose to be a mature woman and not a teenager or young youth, Keke Palmer is quite young and would fit into the role of Femi's younger sister Dami...

Hmmmm...ideas forming, tnks for this. grin smiley

Dami- Keke Palmer
Re: Meant To Be by soulminister(m): 10:21am On Nov 27, 2013
stefikal:

hmmmm...a crush developing...uhn?

Amanda bynes...nah, she's white and Sandra in my story is suppose to be an african, you know.

Keke palmer is beautiful, no doubt but d role Sandra is playing is suppose to be a mature woman and not a teenager or young youth, Keke Palmer is quite young and would fit into the role of Femi's younger sister Dami...

Hmmmm...ideas forming, tnks for this. grin smiley

Dami- Keke Palmer

dami is automatically my wife
Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 11:37am On Nov 27, 2013
soul minister:

dami is automatically my wife

what more can I say? #HappyMarriedLife gringringrin
Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 10:56pm On Nov 27, 2013
Titi - Kimberly Elise (I jst luv dz woman!)

na only D9ty7 don make attempt to ans my question oooo...oohkay ooooo...*lemme jst pretend dt oda readers didn't login to NL today*
Re: Meant To Be by Nobody: 11:41pm On Nov 27, 2013
Doing well Stefil

cool
Re: Meant To Be by soulminister(m): 11:49pm On Nov 27, 2013
stefikal: Titi - Kimberly Elise (I jst luv dz woman!)

na only D9ty7 don make attempt to ans my question oooo...oohkay ooooo...*lemme jst pretend dt oda readers didn't login to NL today*

that woman too dey cry jare
Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 11:56pm On Nov 27, 2013
Nkpume Iko: Doing well Stefil

cool

tnks Boss! smiley
Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 11:58pm On Nov 27, 2013
soul minister:

that woman too dey cry jare

dt doesn't change d fact dt she is a good actress...i jst luv her jaweee
Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 7:44am On Nov 28, 2013
*continued*

Omoye stood from her bed to find out who her visitor was. She had planned to ignore whoever it was till he or she deemed it fit to leave, but she had to respond now since the caller had refused to stop knocking.

She opened her door to find a distressed Iya Bobo standing before her.

"Iya Bobo, good afternoon," she greeted.
"Omoye...na Bobo ooo, you help me see am?" Iya Bobo panicked.

Omoye shook her head, the last time she had seen Bobo was when she was taking Victor to school, she had even playfully questioned Bobo on the reason he was staying at home rather than prepare for school.

"I be see am for passage in the morning, but I never see am since."

Iya Bobo placed her hands on her head, "which kind wahala be dis one now?" she wailed, "No vex say I come disturb you oooo, but I just dey ask around."

Omoye wore her slippers, "Make I follow you find am now," she suggested while both headed out of the passage.

"Thank you," Iya Bobo was trying hard not to sound frightened.
Both women stepped out of the house while screaming 'Bobo' on the streets, it didn't take long before other women joined the search team.

Omoye took the search as an excuse to break away from the thoughts that had enveloped her mind the past few days. She was yet to come up with a plan and she had been avoiding Osagie's calls and texts.

Two hours later after the entire neighbourhood had been thrown into a total disarray, Bobo had been found sleeping in a damaged car at a mechanic workshop few streets away from theirs.

The various volunteers of the search party had then dispersed to continue their various duties, Iya Bobo's face now had peace that radiated strongly. Her face had constantly worn an award winning smile while she thanked those who had helped in the search.

----------------------

"hello Baby, I've sent the money...you should receive an alert soon, I'm sorry about your mum, its gonna be alright,ok?" Sandra sighed.

"Yeah, thanks, I really appreciate this Sandra," Fola replied.
He had been packing his clothes into his travelling bags, he had been a prodigal son for too long and was returning back to Benin for good.

"I'm going to miss you, but you have to be in Benin since your mother's surgery is around the corner. I'll see you tonight shaaaa."

"Of course" Fola replied.
Sandra had offered to travel with him to Benin but he didn't oblige her. He felt guilty from his actions but he shrugged and comforted himself on the fact that she would get over it.

--------------------

Dami closed the chm211 laboratory manual and stretched her forelimbs, she had been writing the report for about two hours.

She looked at her wristwatch 5:55pm, where was this boy when you needed him? she said to her self. She had been working in the classroom while waiting for her lab partner Ore.

When she didn't want him around her, he didn't give her a breathing space. And the moments she needed him, he suddenly was no where to be found.

She had no call credit on her phone, the fact that they both used different networks wasn't helping matters. She could have just sent him a 'call me back' message.

She was feeling fatigue already, the laboratory experience had been terrible. The melting point experiment which had been carried out had appeared easy, but different groups had gotten different melting points for the same substance which the lecturers had provided.

The melting range gotten by some groups had exceeded two, some even had upto ten. The failures that would come out of it wouldn't be funny. She just hoped she and Ore did well, the lecturers could pull funny stunts atimes.

Currently in 200level, the last thing she wanted to bag was a carry over. Who ever needed extra load? she checked her wristwatch again, 6pm already. She itched her scalp, how would she get the remaining readings, Ore was simply a nuisance.

She packed her books into her bag, plugged her ear-piece into her ears while listening to cool fm on her phone radio.

The earpiece was always a good escape for her whenever she left the faculty of science for her hostel Fagunwa. The dirty comments Jaja boys made were offensive enough, but the trap you didn't want to get into was that of Sodeinde boys and Eni-Njoku boys, using the ear-piece therefore blocked their silly comments from getting to her.

She got to her room to discover her room-mates were all out. She dropped her bag and was about to make her bed when her phone rang.

It was an unknown number. Whenever she saw numbers like this, she made sure she didn't reply first. She picked the call and placed the phone to her ear.

P.S:
please do correct me on any mistakes, for instance when somebody puts off their shoe, is that statement correct How do I describe it,pleasesmiley

1 Like

Re: Meant To Be by missterious(f): 8:41am On Nov 28, 2013
I think it's "take off your shoes". I'm not sure though. I love this story smiley

1 Like

Re: Meant To Be by soulminister(m): 8:49am On Nov 28, 2013
finding melting points in my Chem 277 practicals those days where not hard at all. all I had to do is browse for the melting point online and work towards an answer of + or - 20 of the actual answer. full mark emi niye. grin
Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 10:13am On Nov 28, 2013
miss.terious:
I think it's "take off your shoes". I'm not sure though. I love this story smiley

tnks dear, d part where i wrote she dropped her bag and 'made her bed', i actually intended to say 'she put off her shoes' but dt doesn't sound right to me you know.... I tink 'she took off her shoes' sounds better...tnks Miss
Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 10:15am On Nov 28, 2013
soul minister: finding melting points in my Chem 277 practicals those days where not hard at all. all I had to do is browse for the melting point online and work towards an answer of + or - 20 of the actual answer. full mark emi niye. grin

lolzzz...i so knw ur type(eyin smart blokes), bt wat if u aint told d name of d substance...lab work can be crazy atimes tho!
Re: Meant To Be by LarrySun(m): 1:36pm On Nov 28, 2013
stefikal: All rights reserved. No part of this story maybe reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise without the prior permission of the author.
©Stefikal 2013.
email: stefikal19@gmail.com
twitter: @stephanykul
blog: stefikalinspires.

-1-

Femi drove back home,(put period here. You can rather put: Femi drove back home because he was excited) he was excited. He had been praying to see this day for months, and finally it was here(...and it was finally here) .

The dark clouds in the sky was every(were a) proof that it was going to be a stormy night. He was definitely going to enjoy his sleep as well.

The only thing killing his joy at the moment was the terrible traffic delaying him, he had spent close to two hours on the road and yet he was far from his destination. That was what came with the hustle and bustle of Lagos.

He was lost in his thoughts(so lost in thought) that he did not notice(was oblivious of) the bread seller by his window.

"Oga, buy sweet butter bread." He turned to his window(He turned his attention to the window) to see the young man opening his off-white teeth(exposing his coloured teeth with a grin) . The bread was well packaged, he was sure it would taste great. He did not have anything to eat at home anyways(He had not eaten anything at home anyways) .

"How much?" he asked.
"₦200, Oga truth to God the bread sweet well well," the bread seller replied.

Before Femi could reply, the bread seller continued, "How many you go buy?"
Femi chuckled, what was it with business people. Na everything i(Always put the personal pronoun 'I' in Capitals) for buy? He nearly replied but just said, "give me one."

At that instance(That moment...) , the car in front of Femi's moved, Femi heaved a sigh of relief. At last he would be moving from one spot to the next.

The bread seller however kept running after Femi's car, he got to stop(he only stopped...) when the moving vehicles came to a halt.

"Oga, na the bread be this." He replied, he wasn't even panting. Femi assumed he had been in this job for long, the guy was not even sweating. No signs of the fact that he actually got to run a distance.

"Take, bring change," Femi replied and gave him a ₦500 note. It was when he gave him the note he realised his mistake, he should have collected the change before paying the guy.
What if he ran with his money? He gave the guy who was wasting time a serious look.

"Guy, bring the change now, wetin?" He said in a harsh tone, the guy was wasting unnecessary time.

"Oga, no vex." The bread seller replied while dipping his hand into his left pocket, he brought out a crumpled ₦200 note and added it to two ₦50 notes in his hand.

"Na him be this, thank you Oga," he said and waved at Femi.

Femi wasn't impressed, what was the guy expecting? That he would ask him to keep the change? He hissed.

---------------

It was almost 6pm, so much for expecting to get home before 4pm. Just as he was about to take the lane that led to his street. (Incomplete sentence. Just as he was about to take the lane which led to his street , his phone beeped...)

His phone beeped,he had a message from Titi.

*Congrats ooooo, call me.*

He smiled, he would just have to get home before making that call.
Rough review. You need to get the work critically edited. Nice job though.

1 Like

Re: Meant To Be by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 28, 2013
Larry-Sun:

Larry? Are you an English graduate?

PS I will start The Brand Of Cain tonight.
You rock!!!
Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 2:50pm On Nov 28, 2013
Larry-Sun:

wow!
Thank you, thank you...I learnt so much...could you help me check the other chapters

#I appreciate this#
Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 2:58pm On Nov 28, 2013
Nkpume Iko:

You rock!!!

as in!
D guy is gewd...oda writers shuld ask for his review on their work...Its splufic
Re: Meant To Be by soulminister(m): 3:03pm On Nov 28, 2013
stefikal:

lolzzz...i so knw ur type(eyin smart blokes), bt wat if u aint told d name of d substance...lab work can be crazy atimes tho!

that's why there is spectroscopy which I can do on my own because, it is my best part of Chemistry
Re: Meant To Be by stefikal(f): 3:30pm On Nov 28, 2013
soul minister:

that's why there is spectroscopy which I can do on my own because, it is my best part of Chemistry

hmmm...It appears u luv chemistrysmiley
Re: Meant To Be by soulminister(m): 5:34pm On Nov 28, 2013
stefikal:

hmmm...It appears u luv chemistrysmiley

if I didn't, I won't study it in university as a course.
Re: Meant To Be by LarrySun(m): 6:09pm On Nov 28, 2013
Nkpume Iko:

You rock!!!
I studied Accounting but I'm a lousy accountant.
The Brand Of Cain will enchant you.
Thanks.
Re: Meant To Be by LarrySun(m): 6:10pm On Nov 28, 2013
stefikal:

wow!
Thank you, thank you...I learnt so much...could you help me check the other chapters

#I appreciate this#
I'll try.
Re: Meant To Be by LarrySun(m): 6:53pm On Nov 28, 2013
stefikal: -2-

Femi unlocked the door to his flat, he turned on the light and took a good look at his sitting room. He walked towards his couch and sat on it, he couldn't even remember the last time he had sat in his sitting room.

The only places he made use of in a while were his room, the bathroom, the toilet, the kitchen and occasionally his study.

He had not frequented the study in a while, (full stop) What was the point back then? He had gone through hell in the past eight months, (full stop) He was going to get his life back on track, not that he had one before.

He took out his phone from his pocket and dialed (dialled. The former is of American spelling) Titi's number, she didn't pick, he assumed she was busy. Titi wasn't the kind of person who slept early even though she was heavily pregnant, she still kept late nights (Titi was never an early to-bed woman, even her heavy pregnancy couldn't stop her from keeping late nights) .

Titi was his elder sister, she was 28 years of age(she was twenty-eight years old...) whereas he was 26. The bond he shared with her was greater than what he shared with his other three siblings, his parents and even his cousins. She was his best friend and everyone at home knew this, his mother even joked telling both of them that they were meant to be twins.

He would have to call her later. His first assignment would be to clean up his apartment before dinner and a good night rest could follow. He mused, "It's definitely going to be a good night."

Just as he was about to stand, his phone rang. It was Titi.
"Hello, fine girl with the round tummy." He teased.
Titi laughed and replied, "Aburo, for your mind now, you dey enjoy your freedom, bah?"
"As in, you don't know how much."
"Let me officially say congrats again."
"Titi, thank you. If you had not gotten him that job, he would still be terrorising my life here."
"You are welcome dear."
"Thank you, for real."

Titi coughed, "Are you okay?" he asked.
"Yes, I'm fine. I caught a (delete) cold today but I've seen the doctor already."
"Ok, take things easy oh, how is your sweetheart and my nephews[b],[/b] (delete)
?" he asked whilst laughing.

"Ehn? Nephews?" Titi laughed and continued, "Abeg oh, its a girl I'm expecting, so you are supposed to ask after my husband, my son and my daughter."

"Ok Boss, correction taken. How is everyone?"
"Everybody is fine, hopefully I should be due for delivery in two weeks. Promise to put me in prayers."
"Of course, no wahala." He replied and was about to pause before quickly adding, "how about Maami, when would she arrive in Ilorin?"

"This friday, she should come and pamper me small."
"Well, you sure do need it." He said and they both laughed. They continued to talk about different things until Titi explained that she had to go to bed.
He teased her and wondered why she wanted to sleep this early. It was probably the cold and the pregnancy.

After ending the call, he decided he had to clean up. Despite the fact that he was tired after helping Gbenga pack his stuff and the long drive he had experienced today, he did not appreciate a dirty environment.
He would just have to do this once and for all.

Forty five minutes later, he had a quick bath and was heating the kettle to make tea when he heard a clap of thunders.

It sure was going to be a chilly night.
Rough review.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply)

The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) / WHEN LOVE DIES....( The temptations of Gabriel) / Daughters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.