Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,580 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? (19709 Views)

Is Victor Moses Overrated? / Victor Oladipo: The Best Nigerian Basketball Prodigy Since Hakeem Olajuwon / Is Victor Moses Better Than Ikechukwu Uche ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 11, 2013
Is he going to play for D'tigers? If not, bye bye.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by pelhurmy(m): 7:21pm On Nov 11, 2013
just observing coz am not a basket ball fan
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by chimex38: 7:22pm On Nov 11, 2013
Soccer sports onlY TO front pAGE. NBA shOULD Be RelegaTED to d sPORTS SECtion
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by victorazy(m): 7:22pm On Nov 11, 2013
Who is Mr. Victor Oladipo? Another lost Yoruba sheep I guess.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Akiika: 7:25pm On Nov 11, 2013
Victor is upcoming star no doubt, but Iguodala has been fantastic too.

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by victorazy(m): 7:25pm On Nov 11, 2013
django1: Is he going to play for D'tigers? If not, bye bye.
We're talking about the Lost sheep ur talking about playing for The Tigers.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Akiika: 7:26pm On Nov 11, 2013
victorazy: Who is Mr. Victor Oladipo? Another lost Yoruba sheep I guess.
Will you now agree that your brain is so messed up with ethnic bigotry? You need help!

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 11, 2013
he is my brother. cheesy
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 11, 2013
victorazy:
We're talking about the Lost sheep ur talking about playing for The Tigers.

What are you saying?
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Fadelex(m): 7:28pm On Nov 11, 2013
nba is one hell of a league being dominated by veterans these days, talk of players like Tim Duncan, Manu ginobili, Dwayne wade, Steve Nash, LeBron James, Tony Parker and so on. it's very difficult for newcomers to make their mark in NBA these days (dunno why). I remember all the "Linsanity" hype last year. Jeremin Lin is good but cannot just maintain d top level performance, what of Allen Iverson? Devon Williams? and our own okafor... I wish dis dude all d best but we should give him 4 to 5 years to know exactly where he belongs

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by creativemusic: 7:28pm On Nov 11, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 11, 2013

How does that negate his Nigerian-ness. At the end of the day, he doesn't owe Nigeria anything. If Nigeria wants him, then Nigeria has to go get him now that he's yet to play for America (the country that he owes a lot to for giving him an opportunity).

Olajuwon never played for Nigeria despite being born and raised in the country. However, does that change anything? His accent is just as Nigerian as yours - and he might be more Nigerian than you. grin
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by vislabraye(m): 7:36pm On Nov 11, 2013
@poster: I tot U would post a video of him playing rather than singing.
Its hard to find another Hakeem Olajuwon. He is one of the greatest bBall players in the history of the game. U also have to consider the fact that only a few Nigerians play the game unlike football.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 11, 2013
Fadelex: nba is one hell of a league being dominated by veterans these days, talk of players like Tim Duncan, Manu ginobili, Dwayne wade, Steve Nash, LeBron James, Tony Parker and so on. it's very difficult for newcomers to make their mark in NBA these days (dunno why). I remember all the "Linsanity" hype last year. Jeremin Lin is good but cannot just maintain d top level performance, what of Allen Iverson? Devon Williams? and our own okafor... I wish dis dude all d best but we should give him 4 to 5 years to know exactly where he belongs

Jeremy Lin is a one-trick pony, hence why Knicks didn't give him that big money. The hype had more to do with his background than his exploits.

All those players except LeBron James are washed up. The Gary Neal, Stephen Curry, Kevin Love, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Beal., Wall etc. are about to take over. wink Ever seen a sharp-shooter like Curry in your life? grin That's a sniper's sniper! tongue

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by losvemous: 7:39pm On Nov 11, 2013
As we enters a new week, i wish you all the best in your various endeavors... Do i need to define what corruption is again? won't that be like telling a fully grown man his neighbor's name whom they've been living together for as long as he has lived? corruption has one of the most negative effect on our political, economic, social, environment and our growth and development in general. We must kick out corruption in our society, but no one man can do it. Let us come together and preach corruption in our best way! .... The campaign is already on; Follow ma book; "Who will save James" on https://www.nairaland.com/1512703/wholl-save-james-book-corruption#19450690

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Nov 11, 2013
vislabraye: @poster: I tot U would post a video of him playing rather than singing.
Its hard to find another Hakeem Olajuwon. He is one of the greatest bBall players in the history of the game. U also have to consider the fact that only a few Nigerians play the game unlike football.

Anything is possible, bro.

Hard work can make you achieve greatness.

Oladipo was never a great prospect in college. He had to work extremely hard to achieve greatness.

Heck, if his hard work can make him a Gilbert Arenas type player, without the injuries. Then, he should be a HOFer.

Olajuwon also had to learn the game and he worked really hard to achieve greatness. He wanted it so bad and he got it.

So who says Oladipo can't become something similar with the upsides in his game?
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 11, 2013
He's a big prospect! I hope D'Tigers coaching crew picks him, before the US invite him to their national team.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by jaybossYBNL(m): 7:46pm On Nov 11, 2013
Hey Guys Pls Use This Link When You Wanna Shop Online, Its Safe To Shop Here konga.com/?k_id=JayBoss
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 11, 2013
ID BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYED 4 D'TIGERS
A YORUBA MAN WHO CANT PRONOUNCE HIS SURNAME PROPERLY
HE IS ONLY NIGERIAN BY BLOOD
SAME AS EMEKA OKAFOR
I DONT KNOW WHY WE INSIST ON CALLING THEM NIGERIANS SEF
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Fadelex(m): 7:49pm On Nov 11, 2013
shymexx:

Jeremy Lin is a one-trick pony, hence why Knicks didn't give him that big money. The hype had more to do with his background than his exploits.

All those players except LeBron James are washed up. The Gary Neal, Stephen Curry, Kevin Love, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Beal., Wall etc. are about to take over. wink Ever seen a sharp-shooter like Curry in your life? grin That's a sniper's sniper! tongue
yeah, all these guys are gifted but we've been saying the old cargoes will soon get tired until I'm seeing 38 year old Tim Duncan averaging 24points for a stretch of 14 games. the winner of d league will still be decided by d old cargoes.... remember Dirk nowitzki, Jason Kidd and other Jason won it for Dallas mavericks in 2011, and it's d veterans Chris bosh, Dwayne wade and LeBron James that have done it for heats in d past 2 seasons. I'm still counting on Duncan, ginobili and Parker to bring back d trophy to san Antonio come April. Neal, diaw and green are good but they are not up to d task

3 Likes

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Nov 11, 2013
shymexx:

Can you read? I said: "Nigeria's next NBA superstar!" I know they don't play the same position. However, I was comparing greatness. Hakeem Olajuwon is the bar and definitely top 20 NBA players of all time. But with Oladipo's work ethic and willingness to learn - if Magic can get better supporting casts around him, he should have a great NBA career.

Michael Carter Williams is a starter and he has good young players around him. But Oladipo starts from the bench and he's averaging 13points and 5rebounds. That's pretty solid for a rookie playing from the bench.
EASE UP MAN
WE'RE SAYING THE SAME THING
OLADIPO BARRIG INJURIES SHOULD HAVE A GR8 SEASON
HE MIGHT BE THE NEXT MJ IN THE FUTURE (WONT BET ON IT)
I DISAGREE HOWEVER WITH THE BIT ON THE 76ERS
BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED THEY WERE ALREADY WRITTEN OFF
AS THE WORST TEAM THIS YEAR. WELL MCW TRUNED IT ALL ROUND
WE'LL BE WATCHIG
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Nov 11, 2013
shymexx:

That guy's FG are on drugs
He reminds me of one player: Peja Stojakovic. That guy could make a downtowner with his eyes closed. And curry was just one shy of smashing Allen's all time record last season. He's started not too strong this season but when he's smoking, Allah Akbar for the team

Kevin Love takes me back to Reggie Miller days of impossible jump shots. Watch out for that guy this season. He'll take his team to the playoffs, that's the best he can eke out from that team
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 11, 2013
Babzilla:
SAME AS EMEKA OKAFOR

How do you know he can't speak Yoruba better than about 80% of his age-group born and raised in Nigeria? Just because a person was born and raised outside Nigeria, or have never been to Nigeria - that doesn't mean they can neither speak, understand, nor write the language.

That's the misconception and how some pricks go around trying to curse people out in Yoruba, not knowing that those they're cursing out understand the language perfectly and can speak it better than they do. Don't let the accent fool you. Most people are raised to speak and understand the language outside Nigeria. That's all I'm gonna tell you.

2 Likes

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 11, 2013
shymexx:

How do you know he can't speak Yoruba better than about 80% of his age-group born and raised in Nigeria? Just because a person was born and raised outside Nigeria, or have never been to Nigeria - that doesn't mean they can neither speak, understand, nor write the language.

That's the misconception and how some pricks go around trying to curse people out in Yoruba, not knowing that those they're cursing out understand the language perfectly and can speak it better than they do. Don't let the accent fool you. Most people are raised to speak and understand the language outside Nigeria. That's all I'm gonna tell you.
DIDNT SAY HE DIDNT SPEAK
I SAID HE COULDNT PRONOUNCE HIS NAME
DONT MATTER 2 ME ANYWAY AS LONG AS HE CAN PLAY
AND MY CELTICS KEEP WINNING
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 11, 2013
Fadelex:
yeah, all these guys are gifted but we've been saying the old cargoes will soon get tired until I'm seeing 38 year old Tim Duncan averaging 24points for a stretch of 14 games. the winner of d league will still be decided by d old cargoes.... remember Dirk nowitzki, Jason Kidd and other Jason won it for Dallas mavericks in 2011, and it's d veterans Chris bosh, Dwayne wade and LeBron James that have done it for heats in d past 2 seasons. I'm still counting on Duncan, ginobili and Parker to bring back d trophy to san Antonio come April. Neal, diaw and green are good but they are not up to d task

Tim Duncan and Manu are washed up. Spurs should've won the NBA title last season, the old men lost it for the team. Right now, I'd say Kevin Love is better than Duncan.

As for the Mavericks team that won the title in 2011 - yes, Dirk played a big role in that. However, the bench also played a big role. Jason terry was bonkers that year.

Chris Bosh is effeminate and Dwayne Wade is inconsistent.

BTW, Boris Diaw is a role player.

PS: I forgot Paul George of the Pacers. His name should have been on my previous post.

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 11, 2013
shymexx:

Tim Duncan and Manu are washed up. Spurs should've won the NBA title last season, the old men lost it for the team. Right now, I'd say Kevin Love is better than Duncan.

As for the Mavericks team that won the title in 2011 - yes, Dirk played a big role in that. However, the bench also played a big role. Jason terry was bonkers that year.

Chris Bosh is effeminate ON DEFENCE and Dwayne Wade is inconsistent DAMAGED GOODS.

BTW, Boris Diaw is a role player.

PS: I forgot Paul George AND ROY HIBBERT and the Pacers. His name they should have been on my previous post.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by SouthernGuy(m): 8:14pm On Nov 11, 2013
In my honest opinion,comparing a less-than-10-games NBA rookie to Hakeem the dream is Sacrilege.

At Op,Victor Oladipo is a good prospect but being a prospect isn't good enough,people like T-Mac should have had at least 3rings if it by prospect

.First of all,he has a lot of pressure on him being the no 2 draft pick overall.

2,he needs the right attitude and lotta hardwork.

3,the competition in the NBA is at the highest level now with people like Rose,Westbrrok,Curry,Parker,CP3,Rondo(when fit),deron Williams,Irving,Jrue Holiday,Harden etc.Let him break into the elite guard list before I can start taking him serious.

3 Likes

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by victorazy(m): 8:15pm On Nov 11, 2013
Babzilla:
SAME AS EMEKA OKAFOR
May u live long, may u see ur children children!
I was trying to make d same point but these dopey kids won't let me.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 11, 2013
@Babzilla

Safe for that. I was going off the top and I posted the names that came to my head.

Roy Hibbert is a hell of a player!! grin

Irving and too many players to name.

However, Bosh is a byt.ch - and he's homoerotic, both on the offence and defence. grin
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by safarigirl(f): 8:21pm On Nov 11, 2013
Um...all I'm interested in is if he plans to play for D'Tigers EVER. If not...#TeamWENOCARE
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by SouthernGuy(m): 8:21pm On Nov 11, 2013
Babzilla:
DIDNT SAY HE DIDNT SPEAK
I SAID HE COULDNT PRONOUNCE HIS NAME
DONT MATTER 2 ME ANYWAY AS LONG AS HE CAN PLAY
AND MY CELTICS KEEP WINNING

I bleed green too bro...Thumbs up
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Nov 11, 2013
SouthernGuy: In my honest opinion,comparing a less-than-10-games NBA rookie to Hakeem the dream is Sacrilege.

At Op,Victor Oladipo is a good prospect but being a prospect isn't good enough,people like T-Mac should have had at least 3rings if it by prospect

.First of all,he has a lot of pressure on him being the no 2 draft pick overall.

2,he needs the right attitude and lotta hardwork.

3,the competition in the NBA is at the highest level now with people like Rose,Westbrrok,Curry,Parker,CP3,Rondo(when fit),deron Williams,Irving,Jrue Holiday,Harden etc.Let him break into the elite guard list before I can start taking him serious.

Bruv, I'm just asking questions based on what I've seen so far and his work ethic. He still has a lot of nuances in his game that needs vast improvements. If he can sort them out, he should be great when it's all said and done.

T-Mac without the injuries was one-hell of a player. And he was better than Kobe as a 2-guard at one point. You can't blame him for his injuries, can you?

Anyway, Oladipo is more of a 2-guard. His ball handling skills is nowhere good for a PG. So please don't put him in the same bracket as those players.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FC Barcelona Becomes 1st Sports Club With 10 Million Subscribers On Youtube / Microsoft Cortana Wins Apple Siri / US-Beijing Standoff: White House Announces Diplomatic Boycott Of Winter Olympics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.