Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,472 members, 7,812,461 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? (19708 Views)

Is Victor Moses Overrated? / Victor Oladipo: The Best Nigerian Basketball Prodigy Since Hakeem Olajuwon / Is Victor Moses Better Than Ikechukwu Uche ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by safarigirl(f): 8:31pm On Nov 11, 2013
shymexx:

How does that negate his Nigerian-ness. At the end of the day, he doesn't owe Nigeria anything. If Nigeria wants him, then Nigeria has to go get him now that he's yet to play for America (the country that he owes a lot to for giving him an opportunity).

Olajuwon never played for Nigeria despite being born and raised in the country. However, does that change anything? His accent is just as Nigerian as yours - and he might be more Nigerian than you. grin
all this is inconsequential. Victor Moses owes England more than he would EVER owe Nigeria, but who's he playing for? Nigerian-ness indeed. Alampasu is originally Togolese but he's more Nigerian than this Victor dude is. If he's not playing for D'Tigers we wey dey naija(dunno bout y'all in the diaspora) no send

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by victorazy(m): 8:31pm On Nov 11, 2013
Akiika:
Will you now agree that your brain is so messed up with ethnic bigotry? You need help!
Bros no doubt, ur spiritualy blind. He is not a Nigerian and will never be. I hate it wen ppl call them Nigerian, their parent may be but they are definitely not.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by SouthernGuy(m): 8:40pm On Nov 11, 2013
shymexx:

Bruv, I'm just asking questions based on what I've seen so far and his work ethic. He still has a lot of nuances in his game that needs vast improvements. If he can sort them out, he should be great when it's all said and done.

T-Mac without the injuries was one-hell of a player. And he was better than Kobe as a 2-guard at one point. You can't blame him for his injuries, can you?

Anyway, Oladipo is more of a 2-guard. His ball handling skills is nowhere good for a PG. So please don't put him in the same bracket as those players.

Ok.I get your point and I wish him the best.

You are right about T-Mac and one can't blame him for his injuries.

About putting a list of Mostly PGs,you would agree with me that their traditional role was to control the tempo of the game and make plays but in the past few years,a lotta them have taken over the shooting role from the shooting guards.

Besides,apart from Kobe,Wade and Harden no other SG is doing so well in the league
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 11, 2013

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by makanzy: 8:48pm On Nov 11, 2013
rattlesnake: Yoruba are too much
I kind of find it funny that in this day and age where most societies are trying as one, we are still cup up in tribal stuff. say Nigerians are they best not. We have a lot of potentials if we can embrace each other
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by orgasticdance: 9:01pm On Nov 11, 2013
his draft class isnt particularly great so i wont make too much of him being no 2. hope he does well sha.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Adedayo516(m): 9:06pm On Nov 11, 2013
A-ZeD:

Size was Emeka undoing. He's a 6'9 centre which is good for college but in the NBA.... Kevin Durant is a 6'9 small forward.
6'4 and I always said I needed to be taller as a big forward/big man, wanted to take up meds, until my knee got the better of me....outta the court for good #Sad
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by nerodenero: 9:06pm On Nov 11, 2013
What good can come out of rattlesnake except comment like this?Seek help before you die of this biased mind?Victor rocks because he is Nigerian.Shikena!!!

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by nyt3237(m): 9:07pm On Nov 11, 2013
fool
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Nov 11, 2013
safarigirl: all this is inconsequential. Victor Moses owes England more than he would EVER owe Nigeria, but who's he playing for? Nigerian-ness indeed. Alampasu is originally Togolese but he's more Nigerian than this Victor dude is. If he's not playing for D'Tigers we wey dey naija(dunno bout y'all in the diaspora) no send

Who told you Victor Moses wouldn't have chosen England over Nigeria if Stuart Pearce hadn't made him a perpetual bench-warmer with the England under21s? I know for a fact that Victor Moses would have played for England over Nigeria, if he were to be convinced that he had a future with the three lions. That's a guy who was born and raised in naija, but came here when he was like 11.

You just contradicted your own post by citing Alampasu. He played for Nigeria because Nigeria gave him an opportunity. You might as well go drag Adebayo to come play for Nigeria then.

Listen, being Nigerian is a choice, hence why there's room for dual nationality in the Nigerian constitution. People can pick and choose when to be Nigerian and when not to be. However, that doesn't negate their identity. And as long as their identity is within the Nigerian state - you have no right to question their Nigerian-ness. Nigeria is just a nationality!
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Diasporan(m): 9:16pm On Nov 11, 2013
shymexx:

How does that negate his Nigerian-ness. At the end of the day, he doesn't owe Nigeria anything. If Nigeria wants him, then Nigeria has to go get him now that he's yet to play for America (the country that he owes a lot to for giving him an opportunity).

Olajuwon never played for Nigeria despite being born and raised in the country. However, does that change anything? His accent is just as Nigerian as yours - and he might be more Nigerian than you. grin
Leave that dude alone.The Victor guy might even be more Nigerian than he is.I have had the opportunity of meeting the Victor twice in his cousin's house in Pittsburgh,PA.The dude is not far from home.His parent are these typical Yorubas(Africans) that didn't make America go into them.There is every likelihood he might play for the D'tigers if those in charge woo him properly.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by kobikwelu(m): 9:21pm On Nov 11, 2013
See people making comments here, you'll know that they are better off watching their premier league ...

This guy is here to stay!!...and the thing that he has in his favor is the fact that he got drafted by a shitty team with no mega stars except big baby Glen....that would give him the opportunity to gain more experience and compete against the best....

Right now the competition for ROTY is between him and M-Carter....lets see...
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 11, 2013
Diasporan:
Leave that dude alone.The Victor guy might even be more Nigerian than he is.I have had the opportunity of meeting the Victor twice in his cousin's house in Pittsburgh,PA.The dude is not far from home.His parent are these typical Yorubas that didn't make America go into them.There is every likelihood he might play for the D'tigers if those in charge woo him properly.

True that. I was suspecting after reading his story and how his dad never supported his basketball career. I can relate to that.

The funniest thing about these people who're always quick to judge others is that - when you meet most of them fresh from naij, they can barely speak English and speaking the native language they grew up around is a myth to them. Yet they're always quick to judge and question others whose childhood is more Nigerian than theirs, just because they were not raised in Nigeria.

Most times, I just shake my head in disgust. I call them lost souls.

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Nov 11, 2013
Anyway, you lot need to stop derailing the thread with crap about if he's Nigerian or not.

Your identity defines who you're. And since the guy is Yoruba (his identity), and Yoruba is in the Nigerian state. You have no right to question his nationality. Playing for Nigeria or not, is a choice. However, if he doesn't want to play for Nigeria (which I doubt) - that doesn't negate his identity which lies in Nigeria. Nigeria is just a mere nationality.

That's all I'm going to say about that fvckery!!

Can we focus on the topic? Where are the NBA heads at? cool

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Swiftboy(m): 9:44pm On Nov 11, 2013
Am always happy whenever I see my compatrot doing well in every ramifications! Naija till I dye! grin
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by zopaks: 9:44pm On Nov 11, 2013
I know for sure that wale the American rapper can speak Yoruba language better THAN A LOT OF BORN AND BRED NIGERIAN RESIDENTS!

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Nov 11, 2013
zopaks: I know for sure that wale the American rapper can speak Yoruba language better THAN A LOT OF BORN AND BRED NIGERIAN RESIDENTS!

Tell them, bruv.

undecided
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Egbagirl(f): 9:51pm On Nov 11, 2013
I just want to say I miss you Shymmex!! Okay, byeeee! kiss

back to the topic erm... too early to say perhaps? Don't want to conclude just yet... a little more time and we'll see how he does.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by ubswags: 9:59pm On Nov 11, 2013
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by kojeiwa(m): 10:03pm On Nov 11, 2013
Dad from Sierra Leone and Mom from Nigeria. Would you call him a Nigerian?
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by AyodejiCharles(m): 10:07pm On Nov 11, 2013
AyodejiCharles: Wow! The 21 year old kid is something else i swear. I just watched his personal highlights against Cavaliers(18 pts) and Ginobili's Spurs (22 pts) and the guy finds his way to the basket sooo easily!
I went through some you tube comments and some of these guys are already comparing him to a Dwayne wade if not better than Dwayne in the near future.
I also watched his match up against KD- Kevin Durant and he didn't disappoint
The guy can be the next M.jordan .lol
But definitely if i am to go by the comments from most die hard b/ball fans on youtube, then he is definitely going to be ahead of Dwayne Wade in the nearest future.

Most likely gonna be the Rookie of the year , though i heard of one McClemore.
Anyways i know say Vick Oladipo! ...too fast- too smart- too strong- too black- too good-Great Personality = Future All Star Player

Here are the vids below
Kevin Durant Vs Victor Oladipo! #2 Picks Go Head To Head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msX-ygkfFOs
Victor Oladipo 22 points Highlights vs Spurs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoFInNCelAE
Victor Oladipo 18 ptsFull Highlights NBA vs Grizzlies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87BqXxpqZK4

UPDATE!!
The other Nigerian Born Greek 18 year old kid Player called Adetokunbo giannis has played all three gamesfor the Milawukee Bucks.He is the youngest to have played the NBA in many years and one of the youngest ever in NBA history!
See his highlights here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0aPXO2UwLY
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by WanaG(m): 10:35pm On Nov 11, 2013
Jeff Green is not Nigerian.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Nov 11, 2013
Egba girl: I just want to say I miss you Shymmex!! Okay, byeeee! kiss

back to the topic erm... too early to say perhaps? Don't want to conclude just yet... a little more time and we'll see how he does.

kiss tongue
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by LajaLaba: 10:43pm On Nov 11, 2013
Will u ever grow up son?We all know what u are trying to do angry
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Abbott(m): 10:47pm On Nov 11, 2013

Poor!
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by musiwa112: 10:51pm On Nov 11, 2013
it is nice to see the two of them do well. i believe my prayer was answered. like i said when i was praying about oladipo. he is a money making young man. couple of his games been watch in africa. he will do well.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 11, 2013
BBallers as well as BBall lovers belong to an enlightened class. On that note, pls where can I buy a giant blimp in Lagos(4give me for posting here I'm really desperate). Besides, I'm not impressed with Vic Oladipo's numbers, he can do better undecided
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Ikbobby(m): 11:58pm On Nov 11, 2013
I see yall Nigerians always wanna Famz. ....yall should leave the kid alone, he's gonna be a great star,but u cant wanna compare him to hakeem ,hakeem was a center and oladipo is a guard so y'all need to chill...and one last thing, Victor oladipo is American not Nigerian.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by mrslecturer: 12:10am On Nov 12, 2013
Babzilla: POINT OF CORRECTION
JEFF GREEN IS HAVING A FANTASTIC YEAR SO FAR AND IS LIVING UP TO HIS POTENTIAL
CHECK OUT HIS GAME VS MIAMI HEAT 2 DAYS AGO
VICTOR OLADIPO IS GOOD BUT TO COMPARE HIM WITH HAKEEM IS JUST BALONEY
THEY BOTH PLAY DIFFERENT POSITIONS
HE IS MORE OF A DWAYNE WADE TYPE OF PLAYER
PLUS HAKEEM LED THE ROCKETS TO 2 CHAMPIONSHIPS
I DONT C OLADIPO WINNING ANYTHING NOT WITH THIS ORLANDO TEAM
MAYBE IN THE FUTURE WITH SOME SOLID TEAM MATES BUT NOT NOW
MEANWHILE IF URE TALKING OF ROOKIES RIGHT NOW MICHAEL CARTER WILLIAMS
IS THE ISH RIGHT NOW
After Michael Carter Williams fantastic season debut with the sixers against the Heats, he hasn't been consistent. Oladipo has and is a bigger contender for rookie of the year.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by kwajahafiz(m): 12:40am On Nov 12, 2013
slimthugchimee: Wetin bash me kwan asif i watch nba mtchwwww abeg front page things

Stories like these are no for your kind that is inbound in Nigeria.....just simply skip it....the one about your favorite Nigerian food I think is the next topic...u ll like that one... grin
slimthugchimee: Wetin bash me kwan asif i watch nba mtchwwww abeg front page things

Stories like these are no for your kind that is inbound in Nigeria.....just simply skip it....the one about your favorite Nigerian food I think is the next topic...u ll like that one...
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Davidolu321: 12:42am On Nov 12, 2013
this is quiet helpful.....
http:///16VhP7S
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by igboboy1(m): 2:42am On Nov 12, 2013
ogugua88:

Nigerians are too much.

abeg it is yorubas are too much.. you want to share in their glory...

when football/soccer start then we can say igbo too much grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals / FC Barcelona Becomes 1st Sports Club With 10 Million Subscribers On Youtube / Microsoft Cortana Wins Apple Siri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.