Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,051 members, 7,825,345 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? (4553 Views)

5 Masculine Chores I Did As A Female Child. / Higher Education And The Female Child / At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by philfearon(m): 3:14pm On Nov 10, 2013
Everyone is probably got theirs,but am probably asking because of My sister...
Being the only sister,she was over-pampered{am guilty of the pampering too}....
But this has made her start learning how to cook at a later age{she is 18}...I know we did the wrong thing,but is it still too late?{too late cuz she now sees it as a heavy burden,and is damn lazy about it,and what she can only cook is rice and stew,boil yam,beans....but she finds it hard to cook the likes of soup,etc...}..
Secondly,what do you think is the right age for the girl child to start learning how to cook?
Thirdly,if You are in my position,what will you be telling her? {I have exhausted every sweet advice i can tell her}
Please note,i know its a general thing,but i kinda used my sister as the topic subject......
Whats your take pals?

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by Ennyhollar(f): 6:26pm On Nov 10, 2013
There is no actual time to start. Every time u cook, she can be with you to learn. @ age 10, start by introducing her to boiling water, rice etc, with good praise to commend for her effort.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by aadetoyin(f): 7:05pm On Nov 10, 2013
Start boiling water, indomie and rice by 9 else hunger will kill u wen u go to boarding school cheesy

And it doesn't mean only female children. Male children should also learn to cook it will be useful in the future.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Nov 10, 2013
The question should hv been;
At what age can both sexes...........

As soon as they can differentiate btw right and wrong. Once u r in d kitchen, everybody should enter. It starts with," bring onions for me,wash my cooking spoon to check if the rice is done and boil rice for us to eat as lunch". Its a gradual process. No age limit. Believe me, they will learn faster this way.

5 Likes

Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by Kanwulia: 3:52am On Nov 11, 2013
Depending on their level of interest!
I started cooking at age 10!!!
Same goes for my kids!!! BOYS OR GIRLS!!!! cool
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by Xsenga(f): 7:21am On Nov 11, 2013
At six months. grin

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by philfearon(m): 7:44am On Nov 11, 2013
Xsenga: At six months. grin
eh Swthrt?
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by philfearon(m): 7:46am On Nov 11, 2013
Ennyhollar: There is no actual time to start. Every time u cook, she can be with you to learn. @ age 10, start by introducing her to boiling water, rice etc, with good praise to commend for her effort.
Yea,u are right...Thats what grandma did to me too,although ah no dae gree stay one place then.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by slimyem: 8:28am On Nov 11, 2013
As early as possible...

I learnt to do all basic cooking before 11. cool
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by Evestar200(f): 9:15am On Nov 11, 2013
It depends on the kind of kids u have,,if u like teach the kids how to cook 4rm age 4 he wont learn/ or knw the process if he/she doesnt want to learn or knw it cuz some kids are smarter and intelligent than others,,,there are 2 kids in my compound, one started entering the kitchen @age 9 and now she is 11yrs old now and she can cook very well cus she is smarter and look older than her age while the other 1 started entering kitchen @age 8 cuz her mother is very lazy,,i swear, i cant do some kind of works that little is girl doing,, thats why i always said Children whose parents are Lazy are hardworking than children whose parents are Hardworking

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by Gloriagee(f): 10:38am On Nov 11, 2013
Why the emphasis on the female child? At what age did YOU start cooking?

An 18 yr old is old enough to vote, should be in the uni and yes shd be able to cook.

5 Likes

Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by fidatt(f): 11:10am On Nov 11, 2013
A female child should know how to cook yam, rice or noodles when she is 8-10. Soup and other difficult dishes will come at 15-I7. female child should know how to cook the general african( nigeria) food very well at 18-20.
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by philfearon(m): 12:16pm On Nov 11, 2013
Evestar200: It depends on the kind of kids u have,,if u like teach the kids how to cook 4rm age 4 he wont learn/ or knw the process if he/she doesnt want to learn or knw it cuz some kids are smarter and intelligent than others,,,there are 2 kids in my compound, one started entering the kitchen @age 9 and now she is 11yrs old now and she can cook very well cus she is smarter and look older than her age while the other 1 started entering kitchen @age 8 cuz her mother is very lazy,,i swear, i cant do some kind of works that little is girl doing,, thats why i always said Children whose parents are Lazy are hardworking than children whose parents are Hardworking
Thats the ironical truth my dear...You are right
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by philfearon(m): 12:18pm On Nov 11, 2013
Gloriagee: Why the emphasis on the female child? At what age did YOU start cooking?

An 18 yr old is old enough to vote, should be in the uni and yes shd be able to cook.

I started cooking in my Jss3 or so.......But prior to that,it was more of observation! Guess what i was cooking then?
White Yam!!
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by Alfoasegh: 12:24pm On Nov 11, 2013
My daughter cooked Indomie for me over the weekend and she's only 8. smiley

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by philfearon(m): 12:27pm On Nov 11, 2013
Alfoasegh: My daughter cooked Indomie for me over the weekend and she's only 8. smiley
Woowwwwwwwww!! Thats Great and Good For You oga!
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by smartmom(f): 12:41pm On Nov 11, 2013
My first 2 boys can cook basics like rice, yam ( boiled and fried), plantain and of course indomie and fried egg, oats and pap but they make such a mess of the kitchen especially pots and pans. Their only sister started cooking jollof rice and mixing stew well before she turned 10(the older boys are now 21 and 15 btw) and she cleans the kitchen like a pro. She practically begged me to allow her cook before she was even 8.You need to stimulate their interest and sometimes force their hands too. Like my older boys, I only cook for the 2 younger ones and my hubby when it comes to frying chips, plantain and yam. They either fend for themselves or starve. I tell them there is no 'omodo' wink so they learnt fast.

Praise them and encourage them early and they will learn. The youngest boy who is now 8 is following his sister. He cuts up onions and opens the seasoning cubes and stirs the tomatoes when I am cooking stew. He is really excited about it too. He claims he is also 'cooking'.

5 Likes

Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by philfearon(m): 1:56pm On Nov 11, 2013
smartmom: My first 2 boys can cook basics like rice, yam ( boiled and fried), plantain and of course indomie and fried egg, oats and pap but they make such a mess of the kitchen especially pots and pans. Their only sister started cooking jollof rice and mixing stew well before she turned 10(the older boys are now 21 and 15 btw) and she cleans the kitchen like a pro. She practically begged me to allow her cook before she was even 8.You need to stimulate their interest and sometimes force their hands too. Like my older boys, I only cook for the 2 younger ones and my hubby when it comes to frying chips, plantain and yam. They either fend for themselves or starve. I tell them there is no 'omodo' wink so they learnt fast.

Praise them and encourage them early and they will learn. The youngest boy who is now 8 is following his sister. He cuts up onions and opens the seasoning cubes and stirs the tomatoes when I am cooking stew. He is really excited about it too. He claims he is also 'cooking'.
Wowwww!
Thats really good basics o ma'am......
Am learning.....But i kinda still want to add that they{the older two} still needs to eat mum's food sumtimes o!!
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by smartmom(f): 5:20pm On Nov 11, 2013
lol, yes they still eat my poundo, eba and soup sha! and stuff like moi moi, akara and yam porridge they still have visa for those. wink
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by philfearon(m): 7:26pm On Nov 11, 2013
smartmom: lol, yes they still eat my poundo, eba and soup sha! and stuff like moi moi, akara and yam porridge they still have visa for those. wink
Thats kul and sweet too o!
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by Agrika: 8:33am On Nov 13, 2013
As early as 5 years, dont make it look like work make it look like fun...cos the truth of the matter is that children at that age possess an overwelming spirit of " busybody" nothing gvs dem more pleasure than helping mummy in the kitchen, start with simple tasks like cutting the onions, adding "maggi" to the stew, "tasting" the food, lol....i for example started cooking at the age of 9

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by philfearon(m): 9:59am On Nov 13, 2013
Agrika: As early as 5 years, dont make it look like work make it look like fun...cos the truth of the matter is that children at that age possess an overwelming spirit of " busybody" nothing gvs dem more pleasure than helping mummy in the kitchen, start with simple tasks like cutting the onions, adding "maggi" to the stew, "tasting" the food, lol....i for example started cooking at the age of 9
Thank u veri much dear..
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by smartmom(f): 11:20am On Nov 13, 2013
While they are in the early learning mode, teach them that cleaning up like washing the plates and cooking utensils is a VITAL part of cooking. Especially if they are boys( all men seem to have a strong aversion to washing pots I wonder why?), they must imbibe that lesson.
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by philfearon(m): 2:42pm On Nov 13, 2013
smartmom: While they are in the early learning mode, teach them that cleaning up like washing the plates and cooking utensils is a VITAL part of cooking. Especially if they are boys( all men seem to have a strong aversion to washing pots I wonder why?), they must imbibe that lesson.
@bolded,am guilty of that o!
Anyway,thanks for your advise..I reali do appreciate them...Thanks a lot
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by honsule(m): 9:51pm On Nov 14, 2013
philfearon: Everyone is probably got theirs,but am probably asking because of My sister...
But this has made her start learning how to cook at a later age{she is 18}...I know we did the wrong thing,but is it still too late?{too late cuz she now sees it as a heavy burden,and is damn lazy about it,and what she can only cook is rice and stew,boil yam,beans....but she finds it hard to cook the likes of soup,etc...}..
Secondly,what do you think is the right age for the girl child to start learning how to cook?
Thirdly,if You are in my position,what will you be telling her? {I have exhausted every sweet advice i can tell her}
Please note,i know its a general thing,but i kinda used my sister as the topic subject......
Whats your take pals?

It is not too late,she will catch up and even cook more sumptuous and delicious meal compare to other ladies. She may start late and still be the Latest cook.There is no precise age.some ladies start cooking at the age of 6yrs
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by philfearon(m): 6:56am On Nov 15, 2013
honsule:

It is not too late,she will catch up and even cook more sumptuous and delicious meal compare to other ladies. She may start late and still be the Latest cook.There is no precise age.some ladies start cooking at the age of 6yrs
Thanks a lot bro..
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by tpiadotcom: 6:47pm On May 13, 2015
female child or child?
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by Moana(f): 8:17pm On May 13, 2015
philfearon:
Everyone is probably got theirs,but am probably asking because of My sister...
Whats your take pals?
she did start rather late but its not too late for her to up her game and master the art. I have a friend who cant cook and her bf said so but he keeps eating dinner by her place anyway and she is 20 grin i hope practise will make her perfect with time

I started learning how to cook when i was 9yrs old. It started with a basic egg. embarassed
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by philfearon(m): 8:25pm On May 13, 2015
Moana:
she did start rather late but its not too late for her to up her game and master the art. I have a friend who cant cook and her bf said so but he keeps eating dinner by her place anyway and she is 20 grin i hope practise will make her perfect with time

I started learning how to cook when i was 9yrs old. It started with a basic egg. embarassed
Thanks dear!
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by Yesinde(f): 10:59am On May 14, 2015
The question should hv been;
At what age can both sexes...........

As soon as they can differentiate btw right and wrong. Once u r in d kitchen, everybody should enter. It starts with," bring onions for me,wash my cooking spoon to check if the rice is done and boil rice for us to eat as lunch". Its a gradual process. No age limit. Believe me, they will learn faster this way.
and it's dangerous too, as per no age limit u said... kitchen is not meant for children o. Age 10 is ok for me, it actually depends on hw smart d kid is
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by veave(f): 4:28pm On May 14, 2015
I started at 9 with boiling white rice, yam and making eba. Later extended to turning stew to jollof rice grin then graduated to making soup and stuff. But we keep learning everyday.

I remember one egusi soup i made that year. grin grin grin
It was so watery my brothers would roll the eba and put in their mouth first. Then use spoon to scoop the soup into their mouth afterwards.. grin grin grin
Re: At What Age Should The Female Child Start Learning How To Cook? by smartmom(f): 8:26pm On May 14, 2015
veave:
I started at 9 with boiling white rice, yam and making eba. Later extended to turning stew to jollof rice grin then graduated to making soup and stuff. But we keep learning everyday.

I remember one egusi soup i made that year. grin grin grin
It was so watery my brothers would roll the eba and put in their mouth first. Then use spoon to scoop the soup into their mouth afterwards.. grin grin grin

looovl, what did your mom say?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ladies! Shey Na Wetin U Na Dey Pass Through Be This? God Bless My Mother Ooooo / Is This Enough Reason, why she filed for a divorce *screen Shot* / I Am Officially Bankrupt,homeless,depressed And At My Wits End.just Wnt 2 End It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.