Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs (13890 Views)

8 Courses In Nigeria Universities With Voluminous And Redundant Hand Outs / What's The Origin Of Rag Day In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions? / Origin Of Secret Cult In Nigerian Tertiary Educations. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by houstonia(m): 8:21pm On Nov 11, 2013
lastmessenger: As a student of the federal polytechnic nekede owerri, buying handout and notebook turned textbook was a normal thing.we couldnt do anything about it because those who earlier tried to resist the buying of textbook were either victimised or labelled bad boys.seeing how it is,we kept cool,prayed for the years to run fast so that we could graduate and that was exactly what happened.

I graduated in the year 2009 from mechanical engineering department.i bought a 3 page photocopied material for 300 naira from one Mr Dele just because we resisted to buy it for 100.to punish us we,he increased it to 300naira and we got no choice but to buy it.Engr Adikwandu was an intelligent lecturer but he wanted to force to buy his book two times.understand me,we bought the book at the rate of 2300naira during national diploma.when we came back for HND he insisted that we would buy the book the second time.we begged him to take 500naira from everyone of us so as not to repeat buying the book.in the end we discovered the textbook that he copied his own textbook from(i mean word to word).these lecturers were busy extorting money to give grades.in my class intelligent ones managed to make lower credit or at most upper credit while those who couldnt define a term in mechanical engineering were making distinction.some of the girls got their grades by sleeping with some of the lecturers.

Indeed my lecturers were mean and wicked and God knows that it will not be well with them until they repent.Mr Dele your are a fool and you cannot go beyond where you are.Engr Adikwandu Aba that your textbook 'Technology of properties of engineering material' is a copy work.go and sit down and write your own textbook.if here is America you will go to jail for copying an authors word to word.Go and get a life and stop feeling inferior.

Infact i hate all my lecturers back then except one.Engr Nkwazemi you were more like a father to us.hold on to your interity,the rest of the lecturers should go to hell expecially Engr Nobert Nworie:you are too lazy and i hate you.the rest them are after money or what is under the skirt.GOD WILL JUDGE U ALL IN THAT DEPARTMENT

THE RAGE OF A WOMAN.... I planned on selling handouts When I eventually become a Lecturer, but after all this cursing and swearing, walahi I no go sell tuition seff, MY LECTURES WOULD BE FREE
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Didi5(m): 8:23pm On Nov 11, 2013
Sir-Tunechi:

the lecturers in your school don't do it, so why are you forming commando for another person's problem na. Or is she your girlfriend ?
op and his oau agenda.....
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by yemmit90: 8:25pm On Nov 11, 2013
boay:

Are you saying lecturers should be allowed to sell hand outs to students and keep the money in their own purse? Remeber these hand outs are copied from textbooks, lecturers dont have copyright on them. Is it not a way of milking students?

You don't get the message, he/she was indirectly telling you that if you don't buy your handout from lecture that recommended it, you are in for it.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by SirTunechi(f): 8:26pm On Nov 11, 2013
boay:
Funny:......
*laughing*
I hate extortion with passion.
ask this DUDE , he loves extortion.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 8:26pm On Nov 11, 2013
Prince Justice:
Well, the good thing is that there is no form of compulsion
There may be no 'open compulsion' but if a student refused to buy it hope he wont be penalised? I mean hope the lecturers wont 'fail' him?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 8:27pm On Nov 11, 2013
yemmit90:

You don't get the message, he/she was indirectly telling you that if you don't buy your handout from lecture that recommended it, you are in for it.
Thanks for that

please what are the way out?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 8:31pm On Nov 11, 2013
dabrake: "It is not compulsory but you will use it for your CA." grin grin
Hum.....Oga oooo
Let us know your school and please what can we do about this?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by madnigerian: 8:32pm On Nov 11, 2013
boay: Hello Nairalanders
It is not a subject of debate whether hand outs are being sold to students in some tertiary institutions in Nigeria. In my school(OAU), lectures dont sell hand out to students but they sometimes release material for the class representative to make photocopy so that other students can also do the same. NO COMPULSION

I was very surprised when I listen to my friend from a polytechnic(FEDPOFFA) who narrated her ordeal about buying hand outs. According to her hand outs are means of passing exams automatically, atleast the lecturer will give you a pass mark if your name is among those who bought his/her hand outs.

Here are my questions:
1. Is it lawful for lecturers to sell hand outs?
If NO
2. What is NANS doing about it?
3. How can we fight against this?
4. What is the situation in your school. Kindly include the name.
Thanks

1.It is not lawful for university lecturers to sell hadouts. Sadly our university libraries are bare...and do not have enough materials for students. Additionally, not every university has internet access. Finally, the fact that we run an economic system that is based on oil and not on innovation means that students enter universities just to get paper qualifications...which means just doing a course to pass it, not to learn from it.

2.I wonder....NANS cannot do anything about it. Has NANS shown any interest in how universities are funded.?

3.Simples. By improving funding for universities. By getting our economy from an oil dependent one into an innovative one...which would lead to students going to university to learn...not to get paper qualifications, and lecturers training students to solve problems, not just giving them notes to pass.

4.I graduated from ABU in 2006. During my time handouts were made illegal. Plus, I was a medical student.....our course is basically geared towards problem solving, so handouts may not be beneficial.....you have to understand what you are doing.

In summary, i think that students have to learn to understand what they are doing, and learn how to solve problems....not just memorise and regurgitate facts so that they can get a degree, and then get a nice desk job. But then again, it involves an attitude change from the lectirers and the students......and well funded university facilities(which is a big part of the current ASUU strike),
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 8:33pm On Nov 11, 2013
Didi 5: op and his oau agenda.....
Please suggestions are needed ooo. How can we stop this?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 8:34pm On Nov 11, 2013
houstonia:

THE RAGE OF A WOMAN.... I planned on selling handouts When I eventually become a Lecturer, but after all this cursing and swearing, walahi I no go sell tuition seff, MY LECTURES WOULD BE FREE
Please suggest how we can stop this extortion
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 8:39pm On Nov 11, 2013
mad nigerian:

1.It is not lawful for university lecturers to sell hadouts. Sadly our university libraries are bare...and do not have enough materials for students. Additionally, not every university has internet access. Finally, the fact that we run an economic system that is based on oil and not on innovation means that students enter universities just to get paper qualifications...which means just doing a course to pass it, not to learn from it.

2.I wonder....NANS cannot do anything about it. Has NANS shown any interest in how universities are funded.?

3.Simples. By improving funding for universities. By getting our economy from an oil dependent one into an innovative one...which would lead to students going to university to learn...not to get paper qualifications, and lecturers training students to solve problems, not just giving them notes to pass.

4.I graduated from ABU in 2006. During my time handouts were made illegal. Plus, I was a medical student.....our course is basically geared towards problem solving, so handouts may not be beneficial.....you have to understand what you are doing.

In summary, i think that students have to learn to understand what they are doing, and learn how to solve problems....not just memorise and regurgitate facts so that they can get a degree, and then get a nice desk job. But then again, it involves an attitude change from the lectirers and the students......and well funded university facilities(which is a big part of the current ASUU strike),
Wonderful contribution! I guess you are the first to suggest a way out. But please what can we as students do to the status quo?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 8:40pm On Nov 11, 2013
Sir-Tunechi:

ask this DUDE , he loves extortion.
I wont click on it
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 8:42pm On Nov 11, 2013
@ lastmessenger
That is really pathetic ooo. Extortion at the peak!

Please how can we stop this?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by ketoprofen(m): 8:43pm On Nov 11, 2013
wellmax: That's why I love my Great Ife! No sale of handouts at all.

If your material is relevant, give to class rep. who makes copy for whole class. And these days sef, lecturers just forward to class rep's e-mail, who then forward to the class' Yahoo group.

Same in Nnamdi Azikiwe Univ, awka and nnewi campuses.
A typical material is copied to a flash and the students collect the info from the course rep.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by survival1(m): 8:46pm On Nov 11, 2013
I finished 4rm Auchi poly & in dat schul it's a must 4 u 2 pass atall. Even if u wan block d lecturer, d first question is if u've bought their handout or textbuks.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by yemmit90: 8:53pm On Nov 11, 2013
@lastmessenger, it's a pity you gone through all these, how I wish I know all these lecturers and tell them to repent before it's too late for them.

Next time, choose your school carefully. Throughout my days in OAU, except making of photocopy, I didn't spend a kobo buying the so called handouts. Infact my school fees is not up to what some people spent on handouts in the polytechnic.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Misterpaul(m): 8:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
I think compulsory sellin of hand-outs mostly happens in Polytechnics.In Universities its illegal, the lecture only gives the course rep materials for everybody to photocopy, if u like u photococopy, if u like no photocopy, dat one na ur own wahala nobody will fail or pass u cos of dat.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by ajasa4link: 8:58pm On Nov 11, 2013
In Lasu it's illegal to sell handouts. As a student if u feel u need a textbook, u just go and get it at the bookshop without being compelled to do so. In fact,at times in my department we the students really wish our lecturers do publish handouts or textbooks. why? because insurance textbooks modelled in the way insurance is practised in Nigeria are hard to come by. for example textbooks for courses like insurance management, pensions and social security, insurance broking, economics of insurance etc are really hard to come by in Nigeria and if available are usually very expensive. But notwithstanding our lecturers are very helpful by getting.current journal articles, research papers and seminar paper on such topics and dropping it for us freely to study... God bless my departmental lecturers!. As for the lecturers that handled the faculty entrepreneurship course, NO COMMENTS for u
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by madnigerian: 8:58pm On Nov 11, 2013
boay:
Wonderful contribution! I guess you are the first to suggest a way out. But please what can we as students do to the status quo?

Well , I will start by saying that I don't have all the answers.....I am a doctor after all, not a university administrator! wink

But here are my tips(apart from telling lecturers to stop pushing handouts on us! angry)
1.NANS and individual student unions should get more universities connected to the internet.
2.Student unions should campaign for fully equipped libraries
3.Student unions should get their universities to be connected to the ATHENS system....explained in this WikiP article(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens_access_and_identity_management).

Finally, students should use what they are learning to solve problems.For instance, a political science student could get a group of fellow Pol Sci students and set up an NGO with the aim of voter education. An education student could volunteer to teach at the village primary school or at the adult education center. A theater arts student could organize a play for the neighborhood children, and so on.

To sum up, students need to practice what they are learning out in their various local societies......and they need to read lots of books....

Like I said, my advice is not perfect.....but I think that it is not enough to tell lecturers to stop printing handouts......and then go back to empty libraries, and zero opportunities for practice
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Digitron: 9:14pm On Nov 11, 2013
Jingo-OAU:
Am not used to illegality and impunity. There are universities and there are universities. The day one lecturer tried selling a handout in OAU, he was summarily sacked.

Thank God I never went to state universities or polytecnics cos I know I would never have bought the handouts and its sure they'll keep on failing me.

For the nairalanders, if you want your children to have university education in Nigeria, don't subject them to psychological torture by taking them to all these mushroom universities, rather, enrol your children in Obafemi Awolowo University. A school with class, standard, history, clear mission and vission, credibility, sophistication, legacy, learning and culture.

there are only two universities in Nigeria: UNN and the rest.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 9:28pm On Nov 11, 2013
mad nigerian:

Well , I will start by saying that I don't have all the answers.....I am a doctor after all, not a university administrator! wink

But here are my tips(apart from telling lecturers to stop pushing handouts on us! angry)
1.NANS and individual student unions should get more universities connected to the internet.
2.Student unions should campaign for fully equipped libraries
3.Student unions should get their universities to be connected to the ATHENS system....explained in this WikiP article(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens_access_and_identity_management).

Finally, students should use what they are learning to solve problems.For instance, a political science student could get a group of fellow Pol Sci students and set up an NGO with the aim of voter education. An education student could volunteer to teach at the village primary school or at the adult education center. A theater arts student could organize a play for the neighborhood children, and so on.

To sum up, students need to practice what they are learning out in their various local societies......and they need to read lots of books....

Like I said, my advice is not perfect.....but I think that it is not enough to tell lecturers to stop printing handouts......and then go back to empty libraries, and zero opportunities for practice
Sir, do you know what you have just done? You have successfully given me a 'vaccine'. Thanks sir. Those salient points are noted

@ All
You better join me to learn at the feet of elders

More suggestion please......
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 9:41pm On Nov 11, 2013
Please try to include the name of your school and your suggestion on how to STOP this mess
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Vicilo(m): 9:48pm On Nov 11, 2013
In MAPOLY , its legal, lecturers cant sel but can recommend tex book, isue of handout is unheardof. tex books ar nt compulsory
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by PrinceJustice(m): 9:53pm On Nov 11, 2013
boay:
There may be no 'open compulsion' but if a student refused to buy it hope he wont be penalised? I mean hope the lecturers wont 'fail' him?
There is absolutely nothing of such
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by SirTunechi(f): 10:38pm On Nov 11, 2013
boay:
I wont click on it
i know you did
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by SwTonia(f): 10:38pm On Nov 11, 2013
In my skul kusT d leaturer gives out handout to the class rep to photocopy
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Vladm(m): 10:40pm On Nov 11, 2013
boay:
please tell us more about that
am an economics student of ksu buh for d sake trouble, i wont mention d lecturers' name. He actually collects 50 naira 4rm each student weeks b4 his test. He'll tell u itz 4 printin test question papers. We have above 200 students in my level, multiply dat by 50 nd c d ridiculous amout he says he spends on printin questions nd am very sure d school gives dem allowance 4 d said test... Dere iz even anoda 1 dat collected 500 naira 4rm us all in d name of 1 useless book named 'APPROCHES TO ANSWERING ECO--- QUESTIONS'. Till 2day i avent seen d book. Nd d semester we were supose 2 use it for gan has passd.. Den 1 mumu wil b xpectin me 2 wear black nd black wen a stupid lecturer meets his untimely but deserved death... If i hear...
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by yemmit90: 10:41pm On Nov 11, 2013
boay:
Thanks for that

please what are the way out?

Let be sincere with ourselves, only school authority/ management can put an end to this shameful act by their lecturers.

There's little or notting students, NAS, ASUP, even NUC and co can do about it. If any external body(NAS or NUC) compel them not to sell handout, the situate will turns to what someone described in page one "the wise ones knows the best thing to do".
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by BARRISTERDAN(m): 10:50pm On Nov 11, 2013
Thanks to God we don't experience that in Unizik. Am am a law student and we don't buy. Any material a Lecturer considers necessary is sent to the Class Rep who photocopies it for the class to rephotocopy. Our Lecturers know more than selling hand outs; they would be shown the back door.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by rossete2020(f): 11:09pm On Nov 11, 2013
it is forbidden 4 lecturers to sell handout in my school
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by solelymade: 11:29pm On Nov 11, 2013
Great Ife in house, speak for ur department handouts,manuals, maaterials or anyoda name dey are disguised in, are sold in some departments. Sometimes optional and sometimes mandatory.
For d books, SSC 111 and 112(foundation of psychology 1 and 2. Respectively) materials are sold to first year students.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by jahbiz: 12:46am On Nov 12, 2013
[quote author=boay]Hello
Nairalanders
It is not a subject of debate whether hand outs are being sold to
students in some tertiary institutions in Nigeria. In my school(OAU),
lectures dont sell hand out to students but they sometimes release
material for the class representative to make photocopy so that other
students can also do the same. NO COMPULSION

I was very surprised when I listen to my friend from a
polytechnic(FEDPOFFA) who narrated her ordeal about buying hand outs.
According to her hand outs are means of passing exams automatically,
atleast the lecturer will give you a pass mark if your name is among
those who bought his/her hand outs.

Here are my questions:
1. Is it lawful for lecturers to sell hand outs?
If NO
2. What is NANS doing about it?
3. How can we fight against this?
4. What is the situation in your school. Kindly include the name.
Thanks
Hmm!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

, / Please Where Can I Download Textbooks In PDF Format? / Niger Delta University Closed Indefinitely Over Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.