Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,176 members, 7,821,985 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs (13899 Views)

8 Courses In Nigeria Universities With Voluminous And Redundant Hand Outs / What's The Origin Of Rag Day In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions? / Origin Of Secret Cult In Nigerian Tertiary Educations. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by oc2fish: 2:08am On Nov 12, 2013
A friend of mine who is a lecturer in one of the state universities told me that in her school the student begged the lecturer to give them handout most of the students are big boys and girls. They hate attending lectures.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by ghananotnaija(m): 2:52am On Nov 12, 2013
How cute, you guys think that you go to universities.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by ak47yong(m): 4:59am On Nov 12, 2013
la furia: in ABU zaria, selling of hand-outs is illegal, the penalty is outright dismissal.
hand-outs were indirectly sold before, where the lecturer gives the departmental photocopier and ask students to get a copy for themselves.

other lecturers will only recommend their materials in class but that is it.

I remember a lecturer who gave the class rep material to photocopy but told him to do so in other department or in the market so that it shouldn't be interpreted as he was selling hand-outs.

Buying the hand-out is not compulsory at all, you don't have to write down your names to indicate you have gotten it.

in reality, NANS can do little about it, most of the polytechnic schools are guilty of hand-outs for pass mark. unless the school authority plans to do anything, the selling of hand-outs will continue. the rector knows fully well what happening but he himself is benefiting from the system, so he turns a blind eye
bros no dey lie I bought fatika (gs 103 novel) and he told us to write our name I ended up getting a b in that course I expected to carry sooo wetin u dey yan
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by PrinceJustice(m): 5:12am On Nov 12, 2013
ghananotnaija: How cute, you guys think that you go to universities.
And you?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by AjaraEwuro: 6:06am On Nov 12, 2013
ask ASUU.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by UltimateJoseph: 6:18am On Nov 12, 2013
mumumugu: They shouldnt sell but distribute for students to get their copy

U get it well
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by smithsammy(m): 6:51am On Nov 12, 2013
pls, in between your comment, you made use of BTW. which was suppose to be an abbreviation of BETWEEN but i dont think that is what you mean in this context. have often seen people using it but dont get the whole picture. pls help.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by romania: 7:25am On Nov 12, 2013
smithsammy: pls, in between your comment, you made use of BTW. which was suppose to be an abbreviation of BETWEEN but i dont think that is what you mean in this context. have often seen people using it but dont get the whole picture. pls help.
btw - by the way.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Demily(m): 8:06am On Nov 12, 2013
In my skul, Federal university Dustin Ma Katsina state. We don't sell hand out bt it's a must dat lecturers upload soft copy on the skul portal of which student can ( at will) download on there system or print hard copy or photocopy from friend. No compulsion, no sale of handout, no giving of hard copy. Great Fudma ICT driven, everything online!
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by CHRISKY: 8:16am On Nov 12, 2013
Cum FPOKO its said dat hand-out has bin banned bt stil lecturer are stil sellin it, makin it mandatery. i gues ntin can ever b considered as b banned.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by yemmit90: 8:31am On Nov 12, 2013
solelymade: Great Ife in house, speak for ur department handouts,manuals, maaterials or anyoda name dey are disguised in, are sold in some departments. Sometimes optional and sometimes mandatory.
For d books, SSC 111 and 112(foundation of psychology 1 and 2. Respectively) materials are sold to first year students.

Sold by who? I did those courses and the materials were available everywhere. It was not sold by the lecturers then, infact I bought mine from photocopier and the past questions from guy called 'Matrix Tutor'.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by solelymade: 8:40am On Nov 12, 2013
yemmit90:

Sold by who? I did those courses and the materials were available everywhere. It was not sold by the lecturers then, infact I bought mine from photocopier and the past questions from guy called 'Matrix Tutor'.
Sold by psycho dept, and its 2 session running now. I'm a pt2 student and i knw wat I'm saying. However, if u choose 2 photocopy urs frm som1 who brought his/hers frm d dept i cannot categorical tell wat u stand 2 lose provided u can study hard.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 8:56am On Nov 12, 2013
SwTonia: In my skul kusT d leaturer gives out handout to the class rep to photocopy
Is it compulsory?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 8:59am On Nov 12, 2013
rossete2020: it is forbidden 4 lecturers to sell handout in my school
Can we know your school?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 9:00am On Nov 12, 2013
ghananotnaija: How cute, you guys think that you go to universities.
I dont understand you sir.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 9:01am On Nov 12, 2013
oc2fish: A friend of mine who is a lecturer in one of the state universities told me that in her school the student begged the lecturer to give them handout most of the students are big boys and girls. They hate attending lectures.
I know that some students are lazy and corrupt. They are the black sheep.
Please can we know the school?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by SirTunechi(f): 9:13am On Nov 12, 2013
boay:
I know that some students are lazy and corrupt. They are the black sheep.
Please can we know the school?
school
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 9:15am On Nov 12, 2013
Some comments here are suggesting that graph books, practical manuals etc are hand outs to some.
Can someone please help to differentiate both?
Or some Nigerian Undergraduates dont know the meaning of hand outs?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 9:18am On Nov 12, 2013
Sir-Tunechi:

school
I believe you should know that I dont need to click on that link before I can know what it is. You are risking ban till 3333
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 9:20am On Nov 12, 2013
All suggestions are noted. Please suggest how we can stop this oooo
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Youngzedd(m): 9:40am On Nov 12, 2013
HARDDON:

how crude can one get? you get on the internet, copy, paste and print some handouts, bind them and you go selling same?

or you simply photocopy sections of a foreign textbook.......

then you wake some day and school authority frowns at such handouts, you decided to convert same to textbook

and tomorrow u call for strike because your stupid end allowance hasnt been payed!

how crude can it all get?

What do they know rather than copy and paste, including molestation of students.

To hell with our lecturers.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Lafatty: 10:01am On Nov 12, 2013
dis is definatel part of unchallant atitude exhibited by our so called lectures,after collectting der salary de still exploit student yet de wll still be in front in ASUU strike,nonsense
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by ShakurM(m): 10:03am On Nov 12, 2013
Is it a Law?So the lecturer should distribute it freely right?Handouts are textbooks extracts if you can't afford the textbook. . .
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by vichofu(m): 10:29am On Nov 12, 2013
odizeey: i'm tlking from a sch of biz point of view. Bt hand outs r rare in dspz. Na blocking tyns. Fidelis,tobi etc. Btw whch level r u in n dept. I just rounded up,banking (nd)
Lolz....just rounded up computer science (ND) ..Mr OKONTA is our no1 disaster...
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 10:51am On Nov 12, 2013
Shakur_M: Is it a Law?So the lecturer should distribute it freely right?Handouts are textbooks extracts if you can't afford the textbook. . .
Must it be lecturers' business venture? Why can't they give it out for students to make photocopies on their own? Dont you see it as a means of extorting students?. Please let us her from you ooo
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Nobody: 11:02am On Nov 12, 2013
For FedPolyNekede Not try am oooo. The issue is that those guys can just come up with less than 20pages of handwritten trash and conspire with so-called course reps to mandate students to buy those trash in so many ways. they give you a serial number upon the purchase and that's the tag that must be on your exam script, sometimes they use it as their test. thank God i'm in my final year. Nigeria school system is a getting collapsed. When my cousin who studies at Urban University Rome told me that they are normally given back their script after marking, i was short of words.Here, i failed i course (Robotics) which i sure finished under 45mins....i dont have any defence, i only gathered that i didnt write the test (20leaves photocopied maerial). i have registered the course again this year and have done all the due.....
Jay be praised.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by odizeey(m): 11:13am On Nov 12, 2013
vichofu: Lolz....just rounded up computer science (ND) ..Mr OKONTA is our no1 disaster...
okonta na calamity o,i thnk God for sch of biz,bt ekane(nt b. Ekanem o) dealt wit us like crazy
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Bagayouche: 11:27am On Nov 12, 2013
In most schools dey still sell hand outs, especially in polytechnics e.g yabatech.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 1:06pm On Nov 12, 2013
I really appreciate your comments.

But please suggestions on how to stop this mess is vey few. The purpose of this thread is to make the awareness and garner suggestions on how to tackle this.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by yemmit90: 3:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
solelymade:
Sold by psycho dept, and its 2 session running now. I'm a pt2 student and i knw wat I'm saying. However, if u choose 2 photocopy urs frm som1 who brought his/hers frm d dept i cannot categorical tell wat u stand 2 lose provided u can study hard.

Well, may be they just started that. During our days(part 1-4)no lecturers sold any handout to us, not even Psycho Dept you were talking about.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by pmc01(m): 3:47pm On Nov 12, 2013
Jingo-OAU:

For the nairalanders, if you want your children to have university education in Nigeria, don't subject them to psychological torture by taking them to all these mushroom universities, rather, enrol your children in Obafemi Awolowo University. A school with class, standard, history, clear mission and vission, credibility, sophistication, legacy, learning and culture.

undecided cry undecided cry angry sad shocked

If you want your Children to disgrace you in Public with such use of English, take his advice. wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by ebonylady4real(f): 12:26pm On Nov 13, 2013
boay:
Recommended textbooks? Are the textbooks written by the lecturers? Is it compulsory?

In my school, LASPOTECH, both handouts & txtbooks which r written by d lecturers're sold, compulsory

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which University In Nigeria Has The Largest Library? / Niger Delta University Closed Indefinitely Over Protest / "Babcock University Spends 20 Million On Electricity Monthly" - Vice Chancellor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.