Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,988 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs (13866 Views)

8 Courses In Nigeria Universities With Voluminous And Redundant Hand Outs / What's The Origin Of Rag Day In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions? / Origin Of Secret Cult In Nigerian Tertiary Educations. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 1:25pm On Nov 11, 2013
Hello Nairalanders
It is not a subject of debate whether hand outs are being sold to students in some tertiary institutions in Nigeria. In my school(OAU), lectures dont sell hand out to students but they sometimes release material for the class representative to make photocopy so that other students can also do the same. NO COMPULSION

I was very surprised when I listen to my friend from a polytechnic(FEDPOFFA) who narrated her ordeal about buying hand outs. According to her hand outs are means of passing exams automatically, atleast the lecturer will give you a pass mark if your name is among those who bought his/her hand outs.

Here are my questions:
1. Is it lawful for lecturers to sell hand outs?
If NO
2. What is NANS doing about it?
3. How can we fight against this?
4. What is the situation in your school. Kindly include the name.
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by odizeey(m): 1:33pm On Nov 11, 2013
We all knw its nt lawful
In My school delta state poly ozoro its text books

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 2:57pm On Nov 11, 2013
odizeey: We all knw its nt lawful
Recommended textbooks? Are the textbooks written by the lecturers? Is it compulsory?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by odizeey(m): 3:00pm On Nov 11, 2013
boay:
Recommended textbooks? Are the textbooks written by the lecturers? Is it compulsory?
yes
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 3:41pm On Nov 11, 2013
odizeey: yes
If those textbooks are written by the lecturers and they are compulsory then it is also like hand-outs. Because the purpose is to make money. Thanks for your contribution
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Myque1(m): 5:39pm On Nov 11, 2013
It's "optional" in my school, but the wise know what's up...

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by GentleFrank(m): 5:41pm On Nov 11, 2013
Yes ... But it should be optional and not compulsory !
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by mosho2good: 5:41pm On Nov 11, 2013
yes of course because they need money.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by pendusky(m): 5:43pm On Nov 11, 2013
op u wan spoil biz?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Wakins(m): 5:45pm On Nov 11, 2013
who no lyk beta tinz
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by jonescyras(m): 5:45pm On Nov 11, 2013
Selling of HANDOUT is ODD at A.A.U.A..

#TEAM AGBA AWON UNIVERSITIES AGBAYE# like this If you belong here!!!

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 11, 2013
it shouldn't even be allowed. The lecturers should recommend it instead. If the students like they should buy or leave it. Their CGPA will tell the story. BTW, if they should give the lecturers the option to sell WHEN NECESSARY, then those that refuse to buy are in soup!
Get your daily football prediction at my blog
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by mumumugu(m): 5:46pm On Nov 11, 2013
They shouldnt sell but distribute for students to get their copy
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by alons: 5:47pm On Nov 11, 2013
it is, but in my school the lecturer will give us the handout to make our own copies with our money.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by LEXYCOM: 5:47pm On Nov 11, 2013
Ask ur lecturers
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by lafuria1(m): 5:48pm On Nov 11, 2013
in ABU zaria, selling of hand-outs is illegal, the penalty is outright dismissal.
hand-outs were indirectly sold before, where the lecturer gives the departmental photocopier and ask students to get a copy for themselves.

other lecturers will only recommend their materials in class but that is it.

I remember a lecturer who gave the class rep material to photocopy but told him to do so in other department or in the market so that it shouldn't be interpreted as he was selling hand-outs.

Buying the hand-out is not compulsory at all, you don't have to write down your names to indicate you have gotten it.

in reality, NANS can do little about it, most of the polytechnic schools are guilty of hand-outs for pass mark. unless the school authority plans to do anything, the selling of hand-outs will continue. the rector knows fully well what happening but he himself is benefiting from the system, so he turns a blind eye

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by pharmow: 5:49pm On Nov 11, 2013
Is there law in Nigeria? lipsrsealed

In a country or institution where law enforcing agencies are unlawful themselves, is there law in such place?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by JingoOAU(m): 5:49pm On Nov 11, 2013
Am not used to illegality and impunity. There are universities and there are universities. The day one lecturer tried selling a handout in OAU, he was summarily sacked.

Thank God I never went to state universities or polytecnics cos I know I would never have bought the handouts and its sure they'll keep on failing me.

For the nairalanders, if you want your children to have university education in Nigeria, don't subject them to psychological torture by taking them to all these mushroom universities, rather, enrol your children in Obafemi Awolowo University. A school with class, standard, history, clear mission and vission, credibility, sophistication, legacy, learning and culture.

17 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by wellmax(m): 5:49pm On Nov 11, 2013
That's why I love my Great Ife! No sale of handouts at all.

If your material is relevant, give to class rep. who makes copy for whole class. And these days sef, lecturers just forward to class rep's e-mail, who then forward to the class' Yahoo group.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by kelvin1191(m): 5:50pm On Nov 11, 2013
In Kadpoly, it is not compulsory. Even the books written by their lecturers are optional

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 11, 2013
GentleFrank: Yes ... But it should be optional and not compulsory !
Should be... so many things that should be but aren't...the Question is;what can be done about it? Of what use is NANS in fact?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by possibilita(m): 5:52pm On Nov 11, 2013
its illega cos those lecturer just give give us what we want to know not what we need to know on their handnuts.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Nobody: 5:53pm On Nov 11, 2013
Y dem no go sell..its work chop..front page tins oo
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by vichofu(m): 5:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
odizeey: We all knw its nt lawful
bros, am also from DSPZ ooooo.....sum lecturers in CiT department still make handouts compulsory..... and at times they Dont even come to class...
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by sexymoma(f): 5:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
You buy Handout o
You nor buy o
Person wey go fail go fail

Buh personally i think it illegal.
There was a day i calculated the amount i spent on hand out each semester ma bros e reach 5 to 6k o.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by moscobabs(m): 5:58pm On Nov 11, 2013
Jingo-OAU:
Am not used to illegality and impunity. There are universities and there are universities. The day one lecturer tried selling a handout in OAU, he was summarily sacked.

Thank God I never went to state universities or polytecnics cos I know I would never have bought the handouts and its sure they'll keep on failing me.

For the nairalanders, if you want your children to have university education in Nigeria, don't subject them to psychological torture by taking them to all these mushroom universities, rather, enrol your children in Obafemi Awolowo University. A school with class, standard, history, clear mission and vission, credibility, sophistication, legacy, learning and culture.
OK....go take ham collect money for bank.

20 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by odizeey(m): 5:59pm On Nov 11, 2013
vichofu: bros, am also from DSPZ ooooo.....sum lecturers in CiT department still make handouts compulsory..... and at times they Dont even come to class...
i'm tlking from a sch of biz point of view. Bt hand outs r rare in dspz. Na blocking tyns. Fidelis,tobi etc. Btw whch level r u in n dept. I just rounded up,banking (nd)
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by wealth2al(m): 6:02pm On Nov 11, 2013
They are money making avenues, lols
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by mamaafrik(m): 6:03pm On Nov 11, 2013
It's like dose occurrences r more rampant in d poly dan unis,during my Nd days @ Fedpoly ,ilaro,we were askt to buy som material & metallurgical handouts,mechanics to thermo 4rm math to statistics auto to workshop practise,it's like d skul autority even gave a nod to it cos most of d buks wer sold @ d polyconsult(skul bukshop) & ur matric no put down in deir record & also som junior lectrs'll force u to buy d HOD, deputy rectors txtbuks,hm...,to tel u d truth dem no go say make u buy am by force ooo,buy u no go wan failure nw but here @ funaab it's rare to c such.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NUC Plans First Nigerian Universities Ranking In 14 Years / Uniabuja Part-time Form And Diploma Form Still On Sale. / Strike: FG, ASUU To Meet Again Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.