Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,442 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l - Education (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l (39521 Views)

12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School / Nairaland Math Quiz Competition Loading...(suggestions Needed) / 10 Year Old Nigerian Math Genius, Esther Okade Plans To Build A Bank By Age 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (63) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 14, 2013
Richiez: Question 2 is by Quiz master Doubledx

Provide just the answer in 10mins!!!

If f(x) = Sec(x), which of the following statement(s) is true?

1. f(x) = 1/cos(x)
2. f(x) = 1/{2cos^2(x/2) - 1}
3. f(x) = 1/{1 - 2sin^2(x/2)}

(remember more than one of the statements above could be right)

==========================
Solution to Question 2.
==========================

Since Sec(x) = 1/Cos(x),
Statement 1 is true...
Statement 2, Sec(x) = 1/{2cos2(x/2) - 1}
In this case we check it from the denominator of the expression =>
1/Cos(x)

Cos(x) = Cos(x/2 + x/2)

Applying trig identities for cos(A + B) = CosACosB - SinASinB,

We have =>

cos(x) = Cos(x/2)Cos(x/2) - sin(x/2)sin(x/2)
Cos(x) = cos2(x/2) - sin2(x/2).....(1)

But from trig identities=> sin2(A) + Cos2(A) = 1

Similarly=> sin2(x/2) + cos2(x/2) = 1
Thus=> sin2(x/2) = 1 - cos2(x/2)....(2)

Now, substituting (2) in (1) yields =>

Cos(x) = cos2(x/2) - [1 - cos2(x/2)]
Cos(x) = cos2(x/2) - 1 + cos2(x/2)

Colecting like terms yields =>

Cos(x) = 2cos2(x/2) - 1,
Now, since cosx = the denominator of statement 2 it means that it is true for Sec(x) = 1/Cos(x) = 2cos2(x/2) - 1

Now, to statement 3. the relationship is the same, it's only that this time we MUST solve in terms of sin(x) since the denominator is => {1 - 2sin2(x/2)}

Now we have to show that cos(x) = {1 - 2sin2(x/2)} to prove that the statement f(x) = sec(x) = 1/{1 - 2sin2(x/2)} is true.

Since from (1) above we know that =>

Cos(x) = cos2(x/2) - sin2(x/2).....(1)
And from trig identities
sin2(x/2) = 1 - cos2(x/2)....(2)

In this case we have to make cos2(x/2) the subject of the formula

Thus => cos2(x/2) = 1 - sin2(x/2)....(3)

which when you substitute (3) into (1) will yield=>

cos(x) = 1 - sin2(x/2) - sin2(x/2)
cos(x) = 1 - 2sin2(x/2)

Therefore since the denominator of statement 3 equals cos(x), it means...

1, 2 and 3 are all true, hence the solution. C is the correct Answer!

Note, this is not supposed to be this long but I had to explain for the benefit of other viewers!
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:03pm On Nov 14, 2013
SCORE CARD FOR ROUND 3 1st Question

1. :::JARYEH::: 10pts

2. :::DENNIECE1::: 10pts

3. :::IDENYIJOSHUA::: 8pts

4. :::PAPINDINHO::: 2pts

5. :::DR.GBOY::: 8pts

6. :::FACTORIAL1::: 8pts

7. :::AYSUCCESS99::: 10pts

8. :::MIRACY::: 2pts

9. :::KENDZYMA::: 10pts

10. :::LOGODWHIZ::: 8pts

11. [url=https://www.nairaland.com/amazing%20angel]:::AMAZING ANGEL:::[/url] 10pts

12. :::SMURFY::: 8pts

13. :::MOZARINIA::: 2pts

14. :::TOIDEVE::: 4pts

15. :::CASHIO::: 2pts

16. :::DYSHOW::: 4pts
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:04pm On Nov 14, 2013
participants should note that they are not allowed to post an answer twice....henceforth, double post will attract minus 1 mark
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:04pm On Nov 14, 2013
Alpha Maximus: Please post your answers to both Doubledx and me. And no double-answering please; cross-check before sending.

Yeah. No double answers, but remember option c was initially wrong.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:05pm On Nov 14, 2013
get ready for Question 4 chosen by Busuyem
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:07pm On Nov 14, 2013
Question 4 ...still by Quiz master Doubledx

If the roots of the quadratic expression x^2 + Qx + 24 = 0 are α and ß respectively and the sum of their squares is 73, which of the following MUST be true about the values of x?

1. (x^2 + 3) > 10
2. (2x - 3) < 0
3. x^2 > 120

(remember, more than one option may be the correct answer)

just 10 mins!!! time is ticking
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:08pm On Nov 14, 2013
Richiez: participants should note that they are not allowed to post an answer twice....henceforth, double post will attract minus 1 mark

What!!!!
I got the question! All the options are correct. The initial question I opened on my phone had error for option c
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AlphaMaximus(m): 1:15pm On Nov 14, 2013
smurfy:

What!!!!
I got the question! All the options are correct. The initial question I opened on my phone had error for option c
option I only,option I and II only and option I, II and III are three entirely different choices. When either of the first two options are chosen by a participant, the consequence is that he/she is implying that that option II or III is wrong and the chosen are the only correct options , whichever the case may be
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by denniece1(m): 1:18pm On Nov 14, 2013
Sent!....choi
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:19pm On Nov 14, 2013
Time is Up!!!
Quiz master Doubledx will now post the correct solution
Quiz masters Alphamaximus and Doubledx will send me the names and I will post the new score card
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by denniece1(m): 1:21pm On Nov 14, 2013
Doubledx na wa 4 ur question o
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by DrGboy(m): 1:22pm On Nov 14, 2013
hope u've received it?
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by busuyem: 1:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
throw question 10 to the floor
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AmazingAngel(f): 1:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
Hope it doesn't matter if I send the same answer 2tyms,my mail is doing sumhow

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
sent! @doubledx, hope u saw my mail...dis question is dem hard...chai...i fear 4 here o...
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:24pm On Nov 14, 2013
Alpha Maximus: option I only,option I and II only and option I, II and III are three entirely different choices. When either of the first two options are chosen by a participant, the consequence is that he/she is implying that that option II or III is wrong and the chosen are the only correct options , whichever the case may be

No Maximus. You don't understand. When Richiez first posted the question, the multiple choice I only, II and III only etc. wasn't included. Ask Richiez. Only the answers I, II and III were there. Then option III had a typo. That's why I didn't pick it. I submitted my answer, refreshed the page only to see A, B, C, etc. and correction to option III
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Idenyijoshua(m): 1:24pm On Nov 14, 2013
denniece1: Doubledx na wa 4 ur question o
d question na war and with limited time
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 14, 2013
busuyem: throw question 10 to the floor
my chairman, i beg easy o, ur choice of qstns are damn hard,#biko,ogini,please,ejo#....am begging o...easy does things.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:26pm On Nov 14, 2013
Amazing Angel: Hope it doesn't matter if I send the same answer 2tyms,my mail is doing sumhow
if it's same answer, you won't be penalized
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AmazingAngel(f): 1:26pm On Nov 14, 2013
D question was not hard,it depend on ♓☺Ϟ•̸ fast Ʊя̲̅ mind thinks
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by busuyem: 1:27pm On Nov 14, 2013
aysuccess99:
my chairman, i beg easy o, ur choice of qstns are damn hard,#biko,ogini,please,ejo#....am begging o...easy does things.

Lolz. U dey fear?
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AmazingAngel(f): 1:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
Richiez:
if it's same answer, you won't be penalized
tank God
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:29pm On Nov 14, 2013
smurfy:

No Maximus. You don't understand. When Richiez first posted the question, the multiple choice I only, II and III only etc. wasn't included. Ask Richiez. Only the answers I, II and III were there. Then option III had a typo. That's I didn't pick it. I submitted my answer, refreshed the page only to see A, B, C, etc. and correction to option III

when a quiz master posts the solution, it will come with the full question in objectives.
but for this round I will personally remove all objective answers and allow the participants derive the correct answers themselves
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by factorial1(m): 1:29pm On Nov 14, 2013
mi o she mo, *running out* limited time...busy tinx, O boi, na guessing sure pass. Hope to see some questions that does'nt require more calculation. #Shalom
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 14, 2013
@Richiez
Please read my comment above and affirm that option c initially had a typo. There was something like and all over the place for option c before the correction. I sent the corrected solution in time. Please adjust the scoreboard for me accordingly. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Idenyijoshua(m): 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
Jst got a better understanding of d question now. ;(
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
Richiez:

when a quiz master posts the solution, it will come with the full question in objectives.
but for this round I will personally remove all objective answers and allow the participants derive the correct answers themselves

No problem. Please give me my mark. It's such a cheap half-angle formula question.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by jaryeh(m): 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
How many questions are we gonna answer today
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:33pm On Nov 14, 2013
@smurfy, I will do so if the quiz masters confirms your statement...hold on
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 14, 2013
smurfy: @Richiez
Please read my comment above and affirm that option c initially had a typo. There was something like and all over the place for option c before the correction. I sent the corrected solution in time. Please adjust the scoreboard for me accordingly. Thanks.

The typo was sin^(x/2) instead of sin^2(x/2), it was something that was easy to understand... Well, @ richiez I think you should give him the mark!
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:34pm On Nov 14, 2013
jaryeh:

How many questions are we gonna answer today
it depends on time....quiz stops by 3:30pm
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 14, 2013
Option III had the letter b inside square brackets in two places

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (63) (Reply)

20 Courses You Can Study Without Mathematics In Nigerian Universities / Which University Is The Best In Nigeria? / First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.